Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) - 7/13/2010 5:47:53 AM   
Califvol

As I play the game it seems certain carrier air groups demand pilots at an insane rate and then after adding them the pilots disappear.

On all my begining US CV's every other turn they let me add/demand 10 or more pilots to the Fighter Squadrons, even though the ships are in harbor and out of harms way they are allowing me to fill up a 20+ plane squadron with near 50 pilots but every other turn they have lost all the added pilots. If I don't add 10 pilots every other turn the squadrons attrit down to one pilot per plane in just a few days. All this with a carrier sitting in San Deigo or Pearl Harbor.

Now other than the carriers seemingly eating pilots all my other squadrons slowly lose pilots down to one per plane and then seem to stabalize at that level.

1. All this makes me wonder, is there any need to have more pilots than planes?

2. Why do my carriers seem to be eating fighter pilots? (Maybe they are actually being compressed down into bunker oil to fuel the carriers? BUNKER OIL IS PEOPLE!)
Post #: 1
RE: Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) - 7/13/2010 5:55:12 AM   
Alfred

This sounds very much like a bug and therefore should be posted in the tech sub forum to attract a devs attention.

Normally you can only overfill an air unit with 1/3 additional pilots. Hence most USA fighter units have a TOE of 25 and a player is limited to only manually adding a further 8 pilots.

Regarding having surplus pilots. You can rotate them from active to inactive status within the group. This helps to reduce pilot fatigue without having to stand down the entire group.

Alfred

(in reply to Califvol)
Post #: 2
RE: Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) - 7/13/2010 6:15:45 AM   
wdolson

This sounds like the units are set to training units and as pilots get trained up, they are being moved to the reserve pool and the unit ends up short of pilots.  Training units can have up to 2X pilots.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) - 7/13/2010 6:30:10 AM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

This sounds like the units are set to training units and as pilots get trained up, they are being moved to the reserve pool and the unit ends up short of pilots.  Training units can have up to 2X pilots.

Bill

That must be an earlier version of the game, pre-patches, cause what you describe does not fit anything I have seen.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) - 7/13/2010 1:20:35 PM   
seydlitz_slith

Actually they show the pilots the front line Devastator and Buffalo with the words "this will be your ride into battle." Shortly thereafter the pilots turn in their wings and volunteer for sub duty.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 5
RE: Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) - 7/13/2010 1:23:12 PM   
xj900uk

Perhaps it's pilots suffering attrition due to poor/nasty deck landings? The USN certainly had more than their fair share of them during WWII...

(in reply to seydlitz_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) - 7/14/2010 3:58:55 AM   
Califvol

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I thought they were operational losses at first but there aren't any planes being lost and it's just the fighter groups pilots. No, they aren't set to training.

However, it doesn't make sense that my game plays with a weird situation that nobody else is experiencing. I just play against the AI so it's not a critical point, just annoying more than anything else.

Thanks again for the responses.

I have to go transfer another 3,423 pilots to the Enterprise fighter squadron of 2 planes. (joking)

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 7
RE: Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) - 7/14/2010 11:10:08 PM   
Lecivius

I've noticed this in my AI game as well.  Only Fighter groups, not the VB, VS, or VT groups.  This can happen with the carriers in a port.

(in reply to Califvol)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Carriers eating fighter pilots (burp) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI