Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking forward to the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Looking forward to the game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking forward to the game - 7/8/2010 10:31:53 PM   
zed

I am looking forward to the game and the chance to defeat Germany earlier than 1945.

Post #: 1
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 6:24:25 AM   
Fred98

When any game is between the Germans and the Allies, most players prefer to play as the Allied side and defeat the Germans.

When any game is between the Germans and the Soviets, most players prefer to play as the German side and defeat the Soviets.

When SSG released Korsun Pocket, a Russian came to the forums and was disconcerted to find that most players prefer to play as the German side and defeat the Soviets.

-

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 7:57:22 AM   
Neal_MLC

A long time ago I used to play Squad Leader (not ASL) and my regular opponent would only play the germans, staunchly refusing to play the Soviets becuase he was half german, nevermind the fact that I am half german too but anyway, I developed a liking for the Russians and I look forwad to playing the Russkis in WitE.  This game should be called the Great Patriotic War.  GPW has a much nicer sound than WitE

Is this thing in Beta yet?

no matter where you go, there you are

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 8:46:18 AM   
JamesM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

When any game is between the Germans and the Allies, most players prefer to play as the Allied side and defeat the Germans.

When any game is between the Germans and the Soviets, most players prefer to play as the German side and defeat the Soviets.

When SSG released Korsun Pocket, a Russian came to the forums and was disconcerted to find that most players prefer to play as the German side and defeat the Soviets.

-

Well in the old War in Russia, I liked to play the Russians as it was challenging to try and keep you armies from initially being destroyed, then building up your forces to batter your way through the Axis defenses

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 10:20:40 AM   
karonagames

@Neal_MLC - Not in Beta yet, but I think we are very close.

It's only a Game

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 3:34:44 PM   
wiking62

I only play the German side, no matter which theatre of operations.

Never played a Pacific game as the Germans are not involved!

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 6
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 3:40:16 PM   
wurger54

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

I think generally speaking a similar tone has been dominent here. I think given the massive miscalulations and underestimates the Germans made they really didn't have any chance of victory in the east. That however wouldn't be much fun to play out. I'll patiently wait for the latest offering and play the heck out of it.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 7
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 3:58:07 PM   
sol_invictus

I seem to have a soft spot in my heart for playing the German side in any game from 1740-1945. It is a shame that the German army has had to suffer from inept political leaders from 1914-1945. I certainly wouldn't ever refuse to play another side in any game though. You have to admire the Russian grunts in both World Wars and the political/military ineptitude that they had to endure. I guess vodka helped alot.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to wurger54)
Post #: 8
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 4:23:05 PM   
undercovergeek

always the German - the baddies always get the coolest looking stuff. Tigers, Panthers, ME109s, tie-fighters, star destroyers, AT-ATs - the list goes on

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 9
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 5:30:00 PM   
Flaviusx

Given a choice between the commies and nazis, I always go with the commies. Although that's a hell of choice.

Please do hurry this up some. My other non wargaming hobby, WoW, is presently imploding in a fit poorly thought out corporate greed...

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 10
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 5:42:57 PM   
AZKGungHo

I suspect that most gamers often like to play the side that lost, so that they can play out the "change history" fantasy. Personally I enjoy playing both sides, and especially like scenarios where I get to defend in desperate situations and then later go over to the offense and crush the enemy!!  But that's just me.

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 11
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 5:48:38 PM   
kfmiller41

If I have to play between the Nazi's and communists, I will play the communists because if they win and take over, they will probably shoot all the lawyers

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 12
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/9/2010 5:59:51 PM   
PyleDriver

Well if Axis players avoid the four great mistakes the Germans did, then they fair well. Those were, not taking Leningrad in 41, doing the fall offence on Moscow in 41, allowing 6th army at Stalingrad to be surrounded, and attacking the Kursk salient in 43...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 13
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 1:57:00 AM   
SGHunt

I always enjoy good training and elan over mass (eg Alexander, Agincourt, Antietam - well more elan than training here maybe , Austerlitz etc).  

I also like the challenge of playing the historical losers (Johnny Reb and the Germans being classics for me) - especially where they have edge in some ways.    Generally play the Allies against Japan, though - hmmm.   Strange, I loved Shogun Total War.

I like both the attack and the defence, but surely no-one can resist a hankering for the Blitzkrieg.   The day I pull off a major double envelopment in this game will be glorious indeed!  (and that could be Barbarossa or Bagration really).

Jon - I like your four "no-no's".  You should add that you have to handle every Corps with that blend of finesse and good husbandry, knowing when the big, costly assault is worth it strategically.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 14
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 4:59:21 AM   
ool

I agree with you.
Family history dictates playing the Germans. NKVD made the two am knock at the door of more than few family members who were never seen again.
The challenge of surviving the initial onslaught by a German juggernaut is too much to resist. Trying to last till Generals Mud and Snow make their debut is a real challenge.
Just like in War in the Pacific trying to pick at the Japs to make their conquests that much more expensive and time consuming is very satisfying. Later as the US has overwhelming numerical superiority the game loses its appeal to me.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 15
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 7:51:35 AM   
wurger54

quote:

ORIGINAL: ool
Family history dictates playing the Germans.

If that's the criteria, I'm in trouble, can't play the game. Lost friends to both.

HOWEVER...

I hope I play this better than I played War in Russia. It is a truely depressing thing when you find out you play BETTER as a Soviet. No elegence, no rapier thrusts... just a thick forhead avoiding the knockout blow and then bugeoning my opponant into submission with muscular floor dragging arms. How the mirror lies.

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 16
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 9:59:07 AM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

always the German - the baddies always get the coolest looking stuff. Tigers, Panthers, ME109s, tie-fighters, star destroyers, AT-ATs - the list goes on

couldn't agree more...

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 17
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 10:55:25 AM   
PyleDriver

Well whats good is we have testers that perfer playing both sides. I think its close to half and half. I like playing as the Axis...As far as the comparing this game to WIR I enjoy it much more. I really found plotting all the moves and not being able to change ideas mid turn a draw back...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 18
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 12:56:35 PM   
ool

There can be rapier like thrusts as the Soviet. I prefer to look at it as numerous jabs at the Germans followed by a roundhouse punch that allows the tank armies to motor through the German rear. Especially when you can effect a large pincer movement. Truly though the elegance of playing the German in the first year is the best. Thoroughly looking forward to this game regardless of the cost that a lot of people on other threads have been bitching about.

(in reply to wurger54)
Post #: 19
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 4:12:03 PM   
Lützow

Being German I always play Germany in WW2 games, with the exception of Pacific theatre, where I prefer Americans. For ACW I usually take the Rebs, as those were the cooler guys. Allowedly I might be biased here due to movies like 'Gone with the Wind'.

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 20
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 6:11:42 PM   
critter

I'll play any side usually. I truely get into "the role" no matter the conflict.
In vs AI games I usually play the attacker's side. Playing the defender in most AI games is useless as even with the cheats they cannot attack well.
In ACW I'll play both sides even though I'm a desendant of Southern patriots. While their fight for states rights was a just one, when you consider you'd have a Europe style continent and the wars that would have caused I'm glad they got it settled the first time.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 21
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 8:08:10 PM   
Neal_MLC

Indeed the Tigers, Panthers and Bf 109s are cool but you just can't beat a KV-85.  And what about the T-35 multi-turrent tank, oh, and the beast KV-2, useless yes but cool just the same.  Lets not forget about the IL-2 either or the Yaks (just a fun word to say).  I think the Russians had cool stiff too.

no matter where you go, there you are

(in reply to critter)
Post #: 22
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 11:29:29 PM   
Sabre21

As a tester, I have come to enjoy playing both the Germans and Soviets. I started playing as the Germans in one of the smaller scenarios when I first started testing, but since then I have adopted the 41 Campaign as my primary focus, first as the Germans then as the Soviets. I think I do ok as either side and probably enjoy the challenge of the 41 Soviets a bit more. Right now I'm working on a H2H against myself looking for anything out of place or cross checking the other testers bugs that they may find.

This has been a very interesting experience..testing that is, and I have little doubt that most of you will enjoy this game.

Andy

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 23
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/10/2010 11:47:05 PM   
The SNAFU

I tend to enjoy more the side that lost historically as the challenge there is to change the result. It has been a long long wait for a great Eastern Front campaign game at this scale on pc.

I will gladly play as commander of a mule drawn supply wagon just to get in the game.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 24
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/11/2010 12:02:59 AM   
Skanvak

quote:

ORIGINAL: zed

I am looking forward to the game and the chance to defeat Germany earlier than 1945.

At defient Russia, a small boargame, I defeat germany in december 1941 against a human player (werhmacht was reduced to a few corps isolated in Ukraine). I wonder if it is possible in other wargame?

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 25
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/14/2010 8:34:35 AM   
zed

что нужнее сейчас - ненависть

я слушаю песни Вусоцкого чтобы подготовить к борбье

I am listening to Russian Music about WW2 in order to get ready for battle.

< Message edited by zed -- 7/14/2010 8:36:51 AM >

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 26
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/14/2010 2:48:43 PM   
SGHunt

Now that's dedication!!!

(in reply to zed)
Post #: 27
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/15/2010 3:45:45 AM   
jomni

Germans have the best-looking equipment and smart-looking uniforms in the war.

Love the MG42's look and that distinct ripping sound.
I think the Panther looks really good.
Even their half tracks have straight lines and slopes that look aerodynamic.
Grey uniforms fit well and the helmets look sharp.

War is a dirty business but these Germans have class.

< Message edited by jomni -- 7/15/2010 3:49:36 AM >

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 28
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/15/2010 5:10:34 AM   
sol_invictus

I agree, one must look cool when going to war and the Germans have always had great uniforms and equipment.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 29
RE: Looking forward to the game - 7/15/2010 1:09:25 PM   
jaw

I recall Steven Ambrose saying that in 1945 the most welcome sight in the world for civilians of all nationalities was a squad of American GIs. I guess clothes don't make the man.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Looking forward to the game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI