Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The bug thread.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Tech Support >> RE: The bug thread. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The bug thread. - 7/13/2010 11:18:53 PM   
RD Oddball

Thanks BigJ62. I had to get an interpreter to tell me what you were talking about. i.e. asked our programmer. Thanks for the suggestion.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 31
RE: The bug thread. - 7/13/2010 11:41:09 PM   
Andrew Williams

Was a Mac used to create those text files?   (Unix)

Software applications and operating systems usually represent a newline with one or two control characters:

* Systems based on ASCII or a compatible character set use either LF (Line feed, '\n', 0x0A, 10 in decimal) or CR (Carriage return, '\r', 0x0D, 13 in decimal) individually, or CR followed by LF (CR+LF, 0x0D 0x0A). These characters are based on printer commands: The line feed indicated that one line of paper should feed out of the printer, and a carriage return indicated that the printer carriage should return to the beginning of the current line.

o LF: Multics, Unix and Unix-like systems (GNU/Linux, AIX, Xenix, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, etc.), BeOS, Amiga, RISC OS, and others

o CR+LF: DEC RT-11 and most other early non-Unix, non-IBM OSes, CP/M, MP/M, MS-DOS, OS/2, Microsoft Windows, Symbian OS

< Message edited by Andrew Williams -- 7/13/2010 11:42:13 PM >

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 32
RE: The bug thread. - 7/13/2010 11:50:21 PM   
RD Oddball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

Was a Mac used to create those text files?   (Unix)

No. As I'd said it was created within the game by Steve.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 33
RE: The bug thread. - 7/13/2010 11:57:27 PM   
SteveMcClaire

The briefing text is entered using a normal Windows edit control, so if you hit enter you do get \r\n.

It appears there is different behavior regarding end of line characters in the Windows API being used to write the text on XP vs. Vista and Win 7, though.  System settings don't seem to have anything to do with it, just OS version.  We'll fix it though.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 34
RE: The bug thread. - 7/14/2010 4:21:33 PM   
P.N.Volodnikov

Not much of a bug I suppose, but I find that a number of victory point names are partially or mostly covered by trees, thus I have to turn off the trees to read them. I don't recall this happening in the previous games.

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 35
RE: The bug thread. - 7/14/2010 9:41:38 PM   
JudgeDredd

Should I post this in here?

Unit was saying it was running low on ammo...I double clicked the message to go to the unit and low and behold...plenty of ammo. In fact this particular unit (as far as I'm aware) has not had to fire a shot...it may have done, but it's been pretty much out the fight.

This is the Best of the Best Operation

Attachment (1)

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Trash78)
Post #: 36
RE: The bug thread. - 7/14/2010 9:49:22 PM   
JudgeDredd

And another unit

Attachment (1)

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 37
RE: The bug thread. - 7/15/2010 2:55:17 AM   
Dundradal

I can confirm that I'm experience the same thing as the Judge. Squad had plenty of ammo (actually hadn't fired a shot yet!) and after first attack command..."low on ammo."

I've got a screenshot if you need it, but I can already tell you it was an US Rifle Team just like with the Judge.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 38
RE: The bug thread. - 7/15/2010 5:46:18 PM   
TopGun

So, it seems that AI is broken or maybe Im using wrong game difficult settings... or something...

I have noticed this: When AI team gets under fire, AI usually moves this team right back to where it started running from and after a while sends it to another try. This same runing forth and back can occur for the whole battle.

Should I set AI to always obey orders and never act on initiative? AI to Green and myself to Elite?

I will attach few pics to show what is going on. In this first pic you see the situation after 4min (total battletime 15min). AI almost completely freezer to where it is now...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TopGun -- 7/15/2010 5:49:38 PM >

(in reply to Dundradal)
Post #: 39
RE: The bug thread. - 7/15/2010 5:55:31 PM   
TopGun

And here is second pic when there is around 1min left. I just left my teams on ambush mode to see how AI will act if Im not going to shoot them down right away.

But I have to give thumb up for AI for atleast trying something. You see, that in second pic AI has moved one team to the left flank and one to the right flank (ok it doesnt show very well from the pics but yeah AI tried to flank...).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TopGun -- 7/15/2010 5:58:51 PM >

(in reply to TopGun)
Post #: 40
RE: The bug thread. - 7/15/2010 6:29:44 PM   
RD Oddball

quote:

ORIGINAL: TopGun

Should I set AI to always obey orders and never act on initiative? AI to Green and myself to Elite?

If you do not like the realistic reactions to units coming under fire then yes turn on "always obey orders" and you should not see the reaction you mentioned. The difficulty settings (iirc) should not have any bearing on this. Steve could answer specifically to that point though.

(in reply to TopGun)
Post #: 41
RE: The bug thread. - 7/15/2010 6:30:26 PM   
RD Oddball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dundradal

I can confirm that I'm experience the same thing as the Judge. Squad had plenty of ammo (actually hadn't fired a shot yet!) and after first attack command..."low on ammo."

I've got a screenshot if you need it, but I can already tell you it was an US Rifle Team just like with the Judge.

We'll look into it guys. Thanks!

(in reply to Dundradal)
Post #: 42
RE: The bug thread. - 7/16/2010 1:29:05 AM   
squadleader_id

I'm encountering the briefing text garbage characters when using a WinXP SP2 machine.
No probs on a Win7 32bit machine.

Don't forget to check the bug reports at CCS:
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8367

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 43
RE: The bug thread. - 7/16/2010 1:36:04 AM   
squadleader_id

quote:

ORIGINAL: TopGun

So, it seems that AI is broken or maybe Im using wrong game difficult settings... or something...

I have noticed this: When AI team gets under fire, AI usually moves this team right back to where it started running from and after a while sends it to another try. This same runing forth and back can occur for the whole battle.

I will attach few pics to show what is going on. In this first pic you see the situation after 4min (total battletime 15min). AI almost completely freezer to where it is now...

For a good challenge vs the AI...always give the AI lots of advantages (always obey orders, never act on initiative, always have full enemy info)...the AI needs all the help you can give him!
Experienced players even toggle "always see the enemy" for the AI...watch out for those incoming guided misile mortars and arty though

(in reply to TopGun)
Post #: 44
RE: The bug thread. - 7/16/2010 9:52:19 PM   
SkyStrike

[/quote]

If you do not like the realistic reactions to units coming under fire then yes turn on "always obey orders" and you should not see the reaction you mentioned. The difficulty settings (iirc) should not have any bearing on this. Steve could answer specifically to that point though.
[/quote]

Forgetting the issued order is not a realistic reaction. See my last post on the thread "sigh" for whole bunch of teams canceling orders just because a rifle guy takes a random shot. Surely soldiers SHOULD advance in the cover of a smoke screen and not CANCEL ALL AND START CRAWLING BACKWARDS..

thats just lame.

realistic reaction is to get pinned, take cover, fire back etc. Not to forget orders. Who is to judge that the realistic response would ALWAYS be DISOBEDIENCE? You?

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 45
RE: The bug thread. - 7/16/2010 10:02:19 PM   
Andrew Williams

quote:

would ALWAYS be DISOBEDIENCE?

that is not what I see when i play, though my preference would be for them to be a touch braver.

(in reply to SkyStrike)
Post #: 46
RE: The bug thread. - 7/18/2010 4:44:53 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

Blown bridges do not impede traffic....at least the one at Son doesn't...
Before pic of 214 Brigade at Son:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 47
RE: The bug thread. - 7/18/2010 4:46:22 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

After pic of 214th Bde.....crossed like the bridge was already repaired.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 48
RE: The bug thread. - 7/18/2010 5:01:10 AM   
squadleader_id

From the manual...destroyed bridges only impede movement of Armored, Armored Infantry and Recon BGs.
Infantry, AB and Engineer BGs can use assault crossing?

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 49
RE: The bug thread. - 7/19/2010 2:41:00 AM   
jomni

Didn't you see the tanks in the screenshot above? 214 may be an infantry unit in the map but it seems to have some tanks. So based on the rule above... an infantry BG with tanks can go through?

BTW, are there small roads that can access the St. Odenrode map?
The Son bridge leads to Heath first right?

< Message edited by jomni -- 7/19/2010 2:43:53 AM >

(in reply to squadleader_id)
Post #: 50
RE: The bug thread. - 7/19/2010 3:17:20 AM   
squadleader_id

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Didn't you see the tanks in the screenshot above? 214 may be an infantry unit in the map but it seems to have some tanks. So based on the rule above... an infantry BG with tanks can go through?

Oops...didn't see the tanks in the roster...sorry.
214 Bde is classed as an Infantry BG in the FP data...maybe it should be classed as Armored Infantry?
From the manual, the BG should loose all vehicles and guns in their active roster after crossing blown bridges.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 51
RE: The bug thread. - 7/20/2010 5:43:03 PM   
TheReal_Pak40

**note: possible spoilers**

Bugs I have witnessed so far:

1. Same thing that JudgeDredd reported - It's rare, but some units have reported that they're low on ammo but they actually have plenty. I'm not sure if this affects their rate of fire but if it does then this is a serious issue.

2. **HUGE** - Crash to Desktop after winning the Arnhem Road Map. I had two Paratrooper units on the Arnhem Road Bridge and was being attacked by two smaller German units (although only one can attack at a time). I finally managed to destroy the last armored car from the German unit causing the unit to be routed off the map. After the battle debriefing I check the Strategy map: Both the primary German unit that had attacked me and the secondary unit were routed to the nearest German friendly map (Elden). However, *and this is key*, the strategy map showed the symbol for the NEXT BATTLE to be fought was in the Elden map. Only problem is that I had NO UNITS in the Elden map and, of course, the primary German unit had already been involved in a battle in this turn. I could not find any other "Next Battle" icon on the map. So I clicked 'next' and the game crashed to the desktop and I lost several battles worth of fighting.

So what is supposed to happen when one of two attacking battle groups is routed? Are they both "routed" or is the Reserve unit supposed to stay and fight another battle in the same strategic turn or stay and fight in the next strategic turn?

3. Units with no orders or in ambush mode decide to start moving in random directions. By the time I notice that they're crawling around they end up getting shot up.

4. *SPOILERS* The Strategic German AI is not very aggressive near Son/Eindhoven in particular. The 10th Panzer Brigade arrived on 0600 Sept 17 on the Helmond Map and has just sat their the entire subsequent 5 turns - no attacking or movement. The same can be said for the Fallgermajaeger unit that arrives near Dinther/Schindel area. Other non-static units near Nijmegen have mostly sat still also. Graebner's unit, however, did attack me at Nijmegen bridge map instead of returning to Arnhem.

5. Frequently when laying multi-waypoints for an armored unit, I get a message "can't go there" although I clearly made the waypoint path down traversable terrain (often roads and grass). I have resorted to just giving single waypoints to armored units to avoid this message even though I have to micro manage the tank.

6. The first map that XXX corps attacks on has a couple of bridges that tanks really seem to have trouble getting across. They do the usual 'dance of death' when they get near the bridges. Overall I see no evidence of improvement of vehicle AI pathing, despite the developers claims.

I hope this info helps squash these issues.

(in reply to squadleader_id)
Post #: 52
RE: The bug thread. - 7/20/2010 6:07:47 PM   
RD Oddball

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheReal_Pak40

2. **HUGE** - Crash to Desktop after winning the Arnhem Road Map. I had two Paratrooper units on the Arnhem Road Bridge and was being attacked by two smaller German units (although only one can attack at a time). I finally managed to destroy the last armored car from the German unit causing the unit to be routed off the map. After the battle debriefing I check the Strategy map: Both the primary German unit that had attacked me and the secondary unit were routed to the nearest German friendly map (Elden). However, *and this is key*, the strategy map showed the symbol for the NEXT BATTLE to be fought was in the Elden map. Only problem is that I had NO UNITS in the Elden map and, of course, the primary German unit had already been involved in a battle in this turn. I could not find any other "Next Battle" icon on the map. So I clicked 'next' and the game crashed to the desktop and I lost several battles worth of fighting.

Pak40 this is going to be addressed in the first update.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2526664

(in reply to TheReal_Pak40)
Post #: 53
RE: The bug thread. - 7/21/2010 8:21:39 AM   
GS_Schimpf

Sometimes infantry units ordered to fight other infantry units yell "we can't hurt that". This seems a bit strange to me. The only possible reason I found could be that the unit that should be attacked was behind a stonefence/fence or similar. But is this the way it should be? Can't remember seeing this in previous CC titles.
Additionally, I found the map "Ginkel Heath" to be badly painted in some areas. I seems to suffer from copy paste artifacts all over the map. I attached a screen showing some of these that can be found all over the map.

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 54
RE: The bug thread. - 7/21/2010 9:17:24 AM   
GS_Schimpf

Just recognized there is another strange thing happening: on the Best map, the strategic map shows KG Rink and an Allied BG. This is the fact since 3 rounds but no battle is indicated on the strategic layer and therefore also doesn't take place!

Link to savegame: http://germansoldiers.net/bilder/TEST.zip

(in reply to GS_Schimpf)
Post #: 55
RE: The bug thread. - 7/21/2010 4:08:09 PM   
RD Oddball

Thanks for the report Schimpf. We'll look at it.

(in reply to GS_Schimpf)
Post #: 56
RE: The bug thread. - 7/21/2010 6:28:26 PM   
RD Oddball

Our lead developer looked at your saved game file and this is what appears to be going on.. From the manual:

quote:

17.12.4 REST

This orders the Battle group to try to rest and regroup in order to recover morale and dig in. The
Battle Group will not be able to rest if there is a hostile Battle Group on the same map unless
the other Battle Group has also been ordered to rest. If both sides have a Battle Group on a map
and both choose to rest their Battle Groups, no battle will occur for that turn.

He is going to enhance the game operation to make this function clearer. Thanks for your input.

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 57
RE: The bug thread. - 7/22/2010 3:59:03 PM   
xe5

Field elements rubble to nothing (-1). Change this to rubble to shellhole (10)

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 58
RE: The bug thread. - 7/22/2010 5:16:12 PM   
RD Oddball

Thanks Mick will have a look.

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 59
RE: The bug thread. - 7/23/2010 5:32:23 PM   
xe5

Strat Map connections image is missing the major bridge icon at Westervoort and a movement arrows icon between Son and Son Heath.

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Tech Support >> RE: The bug thread. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI