Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

what do you guys do when this happens?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> what do you guys do when this happens? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/18/2010 10:59:02 AM   
DasHoff

my opponent and i want to work out some house rules. basically i had been attacking from the south last turn, and took the ground around those allied icons. then next turn i also moved a unit in from the north. but now, i can only deploy in 2 little squares down south, and up north i can deploy everywhere; my opponent is confined to little squares surrounded by my land. do you just basically make an agreement to deploy in the area you would have had?
Post #: 1
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/18/2010 12:11:10 PM   
Shadrach

Yeah I've seen this happen too, not sure how to deal with it. Sure is annoying. But in my opinion it must be a bug in the assignment of VL areas.

I thought the game would always try to put some "gray" area around and between deployment zones to avoid the dreaded "1st second meelees".

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 2
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/18/2010 3:28:56 PM   
Dundradal

I think most people play with the VL rule in effect (you can only deploy in areas that is connected to VL, so no "pockets" behind the lines without VL deployment). Some also play with a 50 meter rule in situations like the case above. Check out Closecombatseries.net for more ideas. They have a GC guide that might.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 3
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/26/2010 5:55:09 PM   
stolidog

I have experienced this readjustment of VLs/ deployment area a couple of times. This is definitely a bug.

Is Matrix looking into this and fixing it with the first patch?

(in reply to Dundradal)
Post #: 4
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/26/2010 6:38:42 PM   
RD Oddball

I'll have Steve respond but I'm pretty sure this isn't a bug. It's been part of how CC works since prior to the rebuilds. I know there's been discussion on it and pros and cons presented for both ways of doing it. i.e. connecting controlled VL's to your deploy or leaving them as is. There's another thread where this same thing is being discussed.

For as long as I can remember one rule that's been applied for people who don't like the "VL's being awarded in morale victories" is that you may only deploy in areas either as Dundradal said have a VL in them or are connected to your main area of deploy.

(in reply to stolidog)
Post #: 5
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/26/2010 6:58:23 PM   
stolidog

Ok, maybe there is some misccomunication here. I understand when the battle ends due to morale the winning force will be awarded a certain amount of VLs based on the difference in force morale between the losing and winning force and this is by design.

However, something else not normal is occuring here.

In my case, when the battle ended the allies took took the objectives as marked similiar in the picture posted by Das Hoff as above, with the germans controlling the other VLs and all the map area north of the church, ie pretty much all the area between the german vls . The allies had not taken all the areas around the German VLs.

The next time this map was played, for some reason the Germans deployment zone was reduced to strictly the areas around the their VLs, while all the area in between that they had controlled at the end of the previous battle was taken away from their control. If you look at the pic above specifically the map inset in the lower left, the area that the Allies have for deployment around the German VLs is what the Germans controlled in the previous battle, while the area in gray in the South that the Allies controlled at the end of the previous battle is now a no mans land where no one can delploy.

Basically it took the german deployment area around the German VLs and awarded it the Allied player, while taking the area around the Allied VLs and making it non deployable.

I have played CC4, CC5, WaR, and TLD, and have not seen this happen before.

I have seen this happen on the map posted above by Das Hoff, and Eindhoven, possibly one other

< Message edited by stolidog -- 7/26/2010 7:03:30 PM >

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 6
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/26/2010 7:03:29 PM   
xe5

I have seen the same bug several times. I call it 'checkerboard VLs' - it seems to happen when the attacking side changes its attack BG and the map entry VL thru which it attacks. The defending side gets screwed out of all the map territory it had controlled at the end of the previous battle except for square deploy areas (3x3 deploy tiles) around the VLs it controlled (as shown above).

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 7
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/26/2010 7:22:52 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: xe5

I have seen the same bug several times. I call it 'checkerboard VLs' - it seems to happen when the attacking side changes its attack BG and the map entry VL thru which it attacks. The defending side gets screwed out of all the map territory it had controlled at the end of the previous battle except for square deploy areas (3x3 deploy tiles) around the VLs it controlled (as shown above).

Exactly....seen this also.

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 8
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/26/2010 9:43:06 PM   
xe5

Left side of pic below shows map control after end of turn 1 battle on Schjindel map between KG Chill & 501/101 (Hells Highway Campaign). Right side of pic shows map control at start of turn 2 battle on Schjindel between KG Chill and 501/101 after 1/501 moves onto Schjindel from Veghel to support 501/101's continuing attack.

In effect, 501/101 has been heavily penalized in map territory controlled (not VLs) for receiving support in its attack from 1/501.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 9
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/26/2010 9:59:12 PM   
Andrew Williams

Have you tried moving the new support BG in instead of Attacking (Drag) onto the map?

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 10
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/26/2010 10:16:48 PM   
RD Oddball

Understood. Steve didn't have time to respond but he did ask me to make a bug report so he can look at it closer. If you could give what Andrew suggested a try that might help provide some more information. Every bit of info helps. Thanks.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 11
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/26/2010 10:18:46 PM   
xe5

"...1/501 moves onto Schjindel from Veghel to support 501/101's continuing attack." AI is playing Allied side anyway.

Granted, I did play 3 battles in my first GC before discovering BGs had a right click context menu in the start movement phase.

Save file of the campaign attached (rename from .txt to .zip). Click on Schjindel in the strat screen to see post-turn one map control, then start battle to see effect of 1/501 moving in to support.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by xe5 -- 7/26/2010 10:24:39 PM >

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 12
RE: what do you guys do when this happens? - 7/27/2010 3:37:36 AM   
TheReal_Pak40

That is definitely a bug and definitely has not been around since the original CC series. I've had all sorts of very questionable deployment zones(mainly Axis Creep) from one battle to the next with this release and I've never had any of these bugs on previous versions of CC.

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> what do you guys do when this happens? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI