Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lockups

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Lockups Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lockups - 8/5/2002 7:18:46 AM   
Munro

After an hour or so, sometimes after combat results are displayed, other times, when exiting the game. Have latest drivers, lotta RAM and all the other usual fixes.

Munro
Post #: 1
Re: Lockups - 8/5/2002 7:24:52 AM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Munro
[B]After an hour or so, sometimes after combat results are displayed, other times, when exiting the game. Have latest drivers, lotta RAM and all the other usual fixes. [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe you should post your config (CPU, RAM, OS, Video & Sound cards, DirectX version, ...) ?

Do you have any soft running in background (Firewall, Mail, Instant Messaging, ...) and if so, have you tried to desactivate them ?

Spooky

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 2
Re: Lockups - 8/5/2002 10:42:27 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

[B]After an hour or so, sometimes after combat results are displayed, other times, when exiting the game. Have latest drivers, lotta RAM and all the other usual fixes. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have been playing UV for over 5 hours straight today. With Anti-Virus running, MSN Messanger & Outlook Express running. I have had no lock ups nor any crashes.

I run a 1ghz CPU, 512MB ram, 32mb 3d card.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 3
Thanks for the answers - 8/6/2002 12:05:30 AM   
Munro

Here's my specs, on the off chance they'll help fix this prob:
P4 1.5 G
512 MB SDRAM @133 MHZ
32 MB Geforce 2MX 4X AGP
20 GB HD (lots of spare room )
SB Live value (latest drivers from Creative Labs won't load, not Microsoft approved, or something like that).
Like I said the game works fine, just locks up randomly after an hour or 2.

Munro

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 4
- 8/6/2002 5:36:52 AM   
Spooky

AKFAIK, there is no big hardware bug with UV ...

Since you have a lock-up after 60 to 90 minutes play, it looks like there is a memory leak somewhere in your system ... and it is a well known Windows 9x/ME flaw (memory management under Windows 16 bits is a nightmare !)

So are you using Windows 9x/ME ? And if so, have you tried to desactivate some background softwares ?

Spooky

PS : are you running the last UV version (1.2) ?

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 5
- 8/6/2002 6:18:20 AM   
XPav

quote:

it looks like there is a memory leak somewhere in your system ... and it is a well known Windows 9x/ME flaw (memory management under Windows 16 bits is a nightmare !)

Argh.

I hate it when people start going off about memory leaks and Windows 16 bits. Its just confuses the issue, and sorry, is probably wrong.

9x and ME are NOT 16 bit operating systems.
While they are not near as robust as NT/2K/XP, they do NOT have some sort of "fatal flaw" that makes them unable to run two hours straight without crashing.

Sad thing is, there are so many possible causes for Munro's UV crashing that finding the cause is difficult. Heat? Odd power supply? Odd video card driver? Odd sound card drivers? Rabbit poop in the CPU fan?

PCs suck.

Munro: Try bypassing the Microsoft "these drivers aren't signed" hooey and install the latest creative labs drivers. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for the video card from Nvidia.

I love it when a plan comes together.

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 6
- 8/6/2002 3:43:40 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Munro: Try bypassing the Microsoft "these drivers aren't signed" hooey and install the latest creative labs drivers. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for the video card from Nvidia.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you can do that. Only make sure you downloaded the drivers for the OS you use. If the drivers come from one of the big companies then there´s nothing to worry about. Sometimes the big hardware manufacturers save some cash by having their driver not MS certified ;).

Btw: It´s a fact that RAM management under W9x and WinMe sucks big time. Depending on the circumstances these OSs clogg RAM up after running for awhile. But that doesn´t mean this is the problem with the crash bug posted above.

All I can say is that the crashs are lokked into in the upcoming patch. If it solves every problem I can not promise.

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 7
- 8/6/2002 7:41:43 PM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by XPav
[B]

Argh.

I hate it when people start going off about memory leaks and Windows 16 bits. Its just confuses the issue, and sorry, is probably wrong.

9x and ME are NOT 16 bit operating systems.
While they are not near as robust as NT/2K/XP, they do NOT have some sort of "fatal flaw" that makes them unable to run two hours straight without crashing.

[/QUOTE]

You are right, Windows 9x/ME is a 32 bits OS ... but it does not improve their memory management :(

However, what do you mean by "confusing the issue & memory leaks" ?

Thanks

Spooky

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 8
Bottom Line - 8/7/2002 12:27:24 AM   
Munro

Thanks for all the suggestions. However, can't find no way to make the bloody Sound drivers load and I end up with no drivers and no sound at all, hehe.

Munro

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 9
- 8/7/2002 12:33:36 AM   
XPav

Yes, WinME blows and Win98 is only marginally less sucky.

(Of course, as usual, they all work for me, but I'm attributing that to the computer anti-entropy field that surrounds me.)

Spooky: What I mean is that there isn't any way for you, or I, to point the finger at any sort of issue given the information that we've been given. Saying "memory leak!" or "16 bits!" doesn't really help anyone and might send someone off googling to find web sites that tell one to do evil things in the registry and ini files to "fix" these problems.

I will be happy when Windows 95/98/ME are dead and buried. Then they can take NT with them for needing 30 billion patches and having stupid incompatible drivers.

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 10
Re: Bottom Line - 8/7/2002 12:35:25 AM   
XPav

[B]Thanks for all the suggestions. However, can't find no way to make the bloody Sound drivers load and I end up with no drivers and no sound at all, hehe. [/B][/QUOTE]

Crap. Sorry. Are you sure you have the right drivers? Creative Labs does have many varieties of sounds cards, all different, all with their own set of sub-standard drivers. :mad:

Worse comes to worse, you can always go back to the Microsoft ones.

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 11
Soundblaster Live - 8/7/2002 9:29:38 AM   
Munro

That's me sound card and the bloody drivers don't fly at all. What's this about using Microsoft drivers? No idea how to go about that , hehe.

Munro

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 12
- 8/7/2002 1:58:01 PM   
XPav

Use the drivers included with the OS.

Remove the sound card, run any uninstall utilities, and let the sound card autodetect.

Just for a sanity check, it IS plugged in and the volume turned up,right? It seems very strange that you get *NO* sound at all.

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 13
- 8/7/2002 10:06:30 PM   
tiredoftryingnames

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spooky
[B]AKFAIK, there is no big hardware bug with UV ...

Since you have a lock-up after 60 to 90 minutes play, it looks like there is a memory leak somewhere in your system ... and it is a well known Windows 9x/ME flaw (memory management under Windows 16 bits is a nightmare !)

So are you using Windows 9x/ME ? And if so, have you tried to desactivate some background softwares ?

Spooky

PS : are you running the last UV version (1.2) ? [/B][/QUOTE]

Windows ME like anything Microsoft is far from perfect, but I've been running ME since the beta testing started for this game. I always have all kinds of software open in the background as I'm taking notes or posting in the forums. I've never had a lock up. If it's his ME then something is corrupted and it's not something that is just wrong with ME or the game.
More than likely it's a driver or something of an oddity that like has been mentioned in other posts is going to be hard to find because it happens after time.

Jason

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 14
Thanks everybody - 8/8/2002 3:00:38 AM   
Munro

Finally found a way to force the new sound drivers to install, fooling around with advanced settings and some other unclearly marked screen, hehe. Anyhow, she works okies now for a couple of hours. Wonders will never cease. Many thanks !

Munro

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 15
Spoke too soon, hehe. - 8/8/2002 4:50:03 AM   
Munro

Tho the combat results ain't lockin no more, whem I try to quit the game after a couple of hours, it locks up. Still and all, 50 % is better than none, hehe.

Munro

(in reply to Munro)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Lockups Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI