Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Atomic Games V4V Series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Atomic Games V4V Series Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/15/2010 7:12:12 PM   
Capt Cliff

I see Matrix is puublishing an Atomic Games developed game, Close Combat Last Stand at Arnhem. Is there any chance the old Atomic Games games will be updated and released by Matrix? I hope, I hope, I hope!!!

Capt. Cliff
Post #: 1
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/15/2010 9:37:36 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

I see Matrix is puublishing an Atomic Games developed game, Close Combat Last Stand at Arnhem. Is there any chance the old Atomic Games games will be updated and released by Matrix? I hope, I hope, I hope!!!

I agree wholeheartedly!!!!!!!

If we can't have Ludovic's Combined Arms then these V4V/WaW titles being updated and re-released would be a great consolation prize.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 2
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/15/2010 9:43:48 PM   
bairdlander2

http://www.classic-pc-games.com › PC › Strategy › Where you can get Atomic games free

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 3
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/15/2010 10:04:26 PM   
sol_invictus

Yeah but getting them up and running is the catch. These fine classics desperately need an update and re-release. They are the best WWII operational games ever and it is a gaming tradgedy that they languish. They were so far ahead of their time. I would pay big money to get these gems.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 4
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/15/2010 11:00:14 PM   
pelle75

V4V works very well in DOSBOX (like almost all MSDOS games).

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 5
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/16/2010 9:30:21 AM   
Lützow

Unfortunately these old DOS games with VGA resolution either run in a tiny window or look atrociously pixelated in full screen.

(in reply to pelle75)
Post #: 6
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/16/2010 12:50:41 PM   
pelle75

But almost all MSDOS games did VGA in 256 colors 320x200 pixels. Very few games used significantly higher resolutions, since then you were down to 16 colors.

V4V used SVGA with something like 640x480 (or 640x400?) pixels, which did not work on normal VGA cards, and is at least a lot less pixelated now than the VGA games. On my eeepc it will probably look ok since that screen is only 800x480.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 7
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/16/2010 3:50:02 PM   
sol_invictus

The last time I was able to get them to work was with Win XP and the scrolling was lightning fast and no sound. I haven't tried with Win 7. I just think that they are such good games that they really deserve an update. Many games that are available for free download have been updated to work well with new systems have sold well and I think that if it is possible then Matrix should give it a go. Last I heard the rights for the titles were scattered among several publishers. I think Hasbro got the W@W titles when it bought Avalon Hill. No idea who owns the V4V titles. I can't imagine that it would cost much to get the rights.

(in reply to pelle75)
Post #: 8
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/16/2010 4:15:29 PM   
rickier65

I have to agree. I still have the original Veliluki and GoldJunoSword boxes on my shelf. Bringing back the V4V series would be pretty neat. They had a nice system.

(though the in-development Combined Arms would also be good to see come to light).

Thanks
rick

Post #: 9
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/16/2010 9:38:19 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Wasn't "Operation Crusader" part of the Atomic Games "World at War" series? I just ran into that game in my closet the other day. Two 1.44MB 3.5" floppy disks. Man, am I glad floppy disks have gone the way of the dodo. 

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 10
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/16/2010 10:08:04 PM   
sol_invictus

Yes it was. The best of the series imo. I so miss that game. I think it was the last floppy game I bought.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 11
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/16/2010 10:24:27 PM   
Crimguy

I did my first ever pbem with Operation Crusader. Got my arse handed to me as the commonwealth. It's been downhill for me since then.

I had Gold, Juno Sword running on my old Win2k computer about 8 years ago. A lot of the concepts worked well, but you'll probably decide (as I did) that there is a lot of sentimentality in those games, and they don't necessarily bring much to the table that TOAW or the HPS games already have improved on.

Post #: 12
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/17/2010 4:25:46 PM   
brent_2

The V4V series was fantastic. Atomic games... ahh memories. I agree with Crimguy tho - there is just as good or better out there now. Even if the gameplay is the same but better because they're made for newer operating systems: it's easier. I don't mind messing around with my PC a bit (and had to with VESA( is that right?) graphics drivers and IRQ codes etc. once upon a time), but if I don't have to because the programmer already did it for me, even better.

I'm essentially graphically and history oriented, unfortunately to connect the two I have to do maths. I hate maths.
CSO_Brent

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 13
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/17/2010 5:56:54 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

I did my first ever pbem with Operation Crusader. Got my arse handed to me as the commonwealth. It's been downhill for me since then.

I had Gold, Juno Sword running on my old Win2k computer about 8 years ago. A lot of the concepts worked well, but you'll probably decide (as I did) that there is a lot of sentimentality in those games, and they don't necessarily bring much to the table that TOAW or the HPS games already have improved on.

You may be at least partly right. there is a lot of nostalga. but i did enjoy the series. at one point I think i ened up buying them in a combined set.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 14
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/17/2010 9:02:29 PM   
sol_invictus

There are good operational wargames out now but not many that I know of that utilize a WEGO turn system. I have about given up on Combined Arms ever being released.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 15
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/18/2010 2:49:54 AM   
sabre1

The fold out map and manual they shipped with the V4V series was fantastic. I still get upset when I think about the phenomenal game manuals from these old games.

< Message edited by sabre1 -- 7/23/2010 1:53:01 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/19/2010 6:37:22 PM   
brent_2

How about the manual that shipped with M1 tank platoon? That was a good one too.

I'm essentially graphically and history oriented, unfortunately to connect the two I have to do maths. I hate maths.
CSO_Brent

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 17
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/20/2010 6:55:31 PM   
Capt Cliff

No way is TAOW or ANY HPS game anyway comparable to the V4V series or any of the Atomic WEGO games. They are mere shadows compared to real deal. Like saying a Oscar Meyer weiner is just like a Dodger Dog from the ravine or ketcup is good pizza sauce! Bleh!!

But truly these games should be updated to run on newer systems like PAC War was and WIR. Does PAC War and WIR run on WIN 7 or even WIN XP?

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 7/20/2010 6:59:48 PM >

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to brent_2)
Post #: 18
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/20/2010 9:57:52 PM   
Kung Karl

They work fine on Windows 7 with DosBox 0.74.

I tried both V4V Gold Juno Sword and WaW Stalingrad and they both worked great.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 19
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/20/2010 11:35:41 PM   
captskillet

cant seem to locate my copies of these classics can someone post a link to the World @ War series and the v4v series..............thanks

nevermind I see a link in an earlier post.

< Message edited by captskillet -- 7/20/2010 11:36:08 PM >

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 20
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/21/2010 5:03:16 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kung Karl

I would be nice if you didn't have to use DOSBOX. It's so cryptic and I never got the sound to work properly.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 21
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/21/2010 7:28:32 PM   
captskillet

found all mu old V4V stuff afterall and I've got everything running except D-Day America invades and if I remember there were a couple of hoops you had to jump through to get it to run right............anybody got some insight?

using DOSbox and defend............any better frontends outthere than defend?

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 22
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/22/2010 8:52:22 PM   
Kung Karl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

quote:

I would be nice if you didn't have to use DOSBOX. It's so cryptic and I never got the sound to work properly.

Try use D-Fend, it is a front end for DosBox and makes it very easy to use.
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 23
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/23/2010 1:25:41 AM   
sol_invictus

Hey thanks Kung. All this talk about these grand old wargames got me motivated to grab D-Fend and give them a whirl. I got the four V4V games to run fine even with sound, though the scrolling is a bit slow. The W@W titles; D-Day and Stalingrad; run fine but no sound. Did you get the sound for the W@W titles working? I can't find Operation Crusader which was the best of the entire series. I am sure it is out there somewhere though and I will track it down. I still wish someone would wrap all these titles up and re-release them with some little enhancements. These are such great games.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 24
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/23/2010 3:39:39 AM   
borner

if matrix would update it, I would buy it!

Post #: 25
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/23/2010 4:04:05 PM   
Kung Karl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

Hey thanks Kung. All this talk about these grand old wargames got me motivated to grab D-Fend and give them a whirl. I got the four V4V games to run fine even with sound, though the scrolling is a bit slow. The W@W titles; D-Day and Stalingrad; run fine but no sound. Did you get the sound for the W@W titles working? I can't find Operation Crusader which was the best of the entire series. I am sure it is out there somewhere though and I will track it down. I still wish someone would wrap all these titles up and re-release them with some little enhancements. These are such great games.

I got sound from W@W Stalingrad. I used DosBox v 0.74 and the latest D-Fend reloaded. I then chose to add a profile using an existing template (Complex DOS game with 3D graphics). The game ran prefectly with sound with no other changes. I would recommend increasing the mouse sensitivity in DosBox cause the mouse speed was to slow from the template. Easy fix to do in D-Fend. Good Luck!

Post #: 26
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/23/2010 10:41:27 PM   
rickier65

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

I got sound from W@W Stalingrad. I used DosBox v 0.74 and the latest D-Fend reloaded. I then chose to add a profile using an existing template (Complex DOS game with 3D graphics). The game ran prefectly with sound with no other changes. I would recommend increasing the mouse sensitivity in DosBox cause the mouse speed was to slow from the template. Easy fix to do in D-Fend. Good Luck!

Hey thanks, I may have to give that a whirl.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 27
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/23/2010 10:42:37 PM   
sol_invictus

Thanks Kung.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 28
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/24/2010 9:14:06 PM   
Kung Karl

Glad to help!

Post #: 29
RE: Atomic Games V4V Series - 7/24/2010 10:48:18 PM   
E

EDIT...

Ha! 1 Year and 2 months later than the original post here, I finally get the last one running! (This is almost as "joyous" as getting fully patched versions of Over The Reich and Achtung Spitfire running under XP!)

< Message edited by E -- 10/1/2011 9:31:45 AM >

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Atomic Games V4V Series Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI