Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal Noob

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal Noob Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/16/2010 2:57:47 PM   
Helpless

quote:

Also: why are fort levels of 0 indicated on the map in some cases, wouldn't every hex have a fort level of 0 if it doesn't have any kind of fort?

There is a fraction between 0-1.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 91
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/16/2010 3:00:45 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

Those failing attacks at 7:1 odds in men and 14:1 in artillery make it difficult to imagine how the Soviets are ever going to counterattack successfully. Maybe the AFV's were the main reason the attack failed, but an attack at those odds would probably have a comfortable chance of success in real life.

Before Winter successful Soviet counterattacks are far and few between but they can happen. I was once able to rout a panzer division that had pushed too far forward alone but it took a mess of tank divisions to do it.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 92
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/16/2010 4:17:34 PM   
ComradeP

It would seem, based on the AAR's thus far, that the chance that the Soviets are less likely to be able to temporarily halt the Germans in WitE than what they were historically capable of. Perhaps the developers could find some way to give the Soviets a damage bonus and penalty for attacking in large numbers (above certain odds, say above 6:1). The bonus being that more German units would die, the penalty being that more Soviet units would die as they would basically not stop attacking until either they would be too exhausted to continue, or the Germans would retreat.

The casualty depicted in screenshots thus far give me some reason to say that the combat system might need some further finetuning, as the Germans can be a lot more powerful than they were in real life on the defensive. The superior German doctrine mostly paid off with offensive actions, its effect being increased by poor Soviet tactics. German defensive doctrine in the first few months was by no means as solid, as they were still getting used to dealing with the Soviet style of attacking (a huge barrage followed by a large mob of infantry and possibly tanks). German guns would be outranged and outnumbered on the defense, and the advantage in direct firepower could be neutralised by liberal application of artillery (14:1 odds in artillery should certainly qualify as such). It's one thing to deal with a mob of infantry running into a machine gun kill zone, but dealing with an artillery barrage in mostly unprepared positions (after all, the Germans would be advancing) followed by a determined attack was something that could result in fairly heavy losses for the Germans, heavy losses compared to offensive operations.

With the current results, the Soviet losses when attacked are high, but fairly low when attacking, and the German losses tend to be low in both cases. As such, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason for the Soviets to attack at all: there seems to be a much higher chance to inflict losses by letting the Germans deal with dug in troops than by attacking, as no matter how many guys you bring, the results seem to be disappointing.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 7/16/2010 4:20:53 PM >

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 93
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/16/2010 5:05:22 PM   
Helpless

Recently (in coming patch) we raised experience of squads of arriving Soviet units. It should have some impact on inflicting damage.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 94
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/21/2010 10:25:34 PM   
karonagames

I am back, and about to recommence advancing on all fronts. I think Stuart and Ron's AAR's have helped fill in some of the detail of how I have (or haven't) been progressing. Looking at the development forum, there have been some HUGE changes to the game in all areas - combat resolution, production, logistics , and I've only been away for 6 days!.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 95
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/21/2010 10:32:36 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 9: 4th Panzer Group is tasked with capturing the ports which are now the only source of supply for Leningrad. The bridgehead across the Volkhov should help. 18th Army moves forward to assault the city.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 96
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/21/2010 10:43:06 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 9: Rzhev and Vyazma are surrounded. Defences in front of Moscow look fragmented. GAIA will have to pull units from other fronts to defend the capital.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 97
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/21/2010 10:44:50 PM   
karonagames

End of turn 9: Bryansk is threatened. Orel and Tula are added to the objective list for the SS breakthrough Korps.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 98
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/21/2010 10:50:07 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 9: Instead of forming the Kiev Pocket, 1st Panzer Group has formed a huge pocket at Cherkassy which should take over 30 divisions and brigades out of the Soviet OOB.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 99
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/21/2010 10:53:48 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 9: Odessa is besieged and the Hungarian Mobile corps continues its dash towards the Crimea.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 100
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/21/2010 11:32:50 PM   
karonagames

Turn 9: Partisans swarm out of the forests to attack rail lines.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 101
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/21/2010 11:39:36 PM   
karonagames

Turn 10: while most of the Partisan attacks do only minor damage, rail capacity is reduced (Dotted green circles)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 102
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/21/2010 11:40:54 PM   
karonagames

Turn 10: Panzer units around Vyazma suffer from supply shortages.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 103
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 9:38:24 AM   
janh

Wow, this doesn't look good for GAIA anymore, on neither part of the frontline... And it is only late August.  Can it recover from these blows?

Post #: 104
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 12:10:51 PM   
karonagames

Start of turn 10: GAIA breaks open the Cherkassy pocket and the troops in the pocket run for the exit! 2 Divisions and 1 regiment are (temporarily) isolated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 7/22/2010 12:12:16 PM >

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 105
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 12:21:03 PM   
karonagames

Beginning of Turn 10: Her attempt to punish the over-extended Hungarian Motorised brigade fails, but I think under the latest version, this attack would have succeeded - the odds needed for SU to cause a retreat are now 1 to 1, but they suffer an extra round of defensive fire. I look forward to testing the new version to see how this works out.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 106
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 12:31:18 PM   
karonagames

End of turn 10: 2 of the 3 ports supplying Leningrad are in German hands. 18th Army starts to tighten the noose on the SU's second city. You should note when comparing this AAR to the Road to Leningrad scenario AARs that I have sent at least 5 more infantry divisions and all the BFGs that the German army has to support the attack on Leningrad, but I don't know if the AI has sent more of less forces to defend Leningrad compared to the scenario.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 107
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 12:48:34 PM   
karonagames

End of turn 10: Looks like Moscow owes the partisans a few vodkas, as they have bought Zhukov enough time to rebuild the defences in front of Moscow yet again. XXXIX Panzer korps is tasked to capture Kalinin, while LVII Panzer Korps will push to the NE and swing behind Moscow to the north.

XXXXVI and XXXXVII take an enforced rest, and hope they get the supplies to enable them to swing behind Moscow from the South.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 7/22/2010 12:49:00 PM >

Post #: 108
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 12:53:51 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 10: As I had hoped the defence of Moscow has weakened other areas, and Orel and Tula are well within my sights. 2nd Army and 6th Army should shake off the Mud of the Pripyat Marshes and start making better progress eastwards.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 109
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 12:58:23 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 10: Hopefully, the better morale of GD motorised regiment will keep the Cherkassy pocket sealed tight this turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 110
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 1:15:33 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 10: Odessa falls, but I fail to get the vital bridgehead across the Dnepr that will open the door to the Crimea. GAIA struggles to defend Odessa as well as her historical counterparts, as she uses regiments and brigades where she needs to use divisions, particularly when working within the stacking limitations (3 units regardless of size). Joel and Gary are on the case, looking to give GAIA some help with increased fortification levels etc.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 111
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 7:12:02 PM   
SGHunt

I'm exhausted just watching - very exciting AAR.

Stuart

Post #: 112
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 7:57:01 PM   
karonagames

End Turn 11: The suburbs of Leningrad, Pushkin and Kolpino are captured, but a Probing attack on the Southern City Hex shows just how much value is added by level 5 fortifications. I hope I have enough BFGs and pioneers to reduce the fortifications. 4th Panzer Group continues to roll up the Volkhov line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 113
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 7:59:04 PM   
karonagames

Thanks Stuart - I'm looking forward to seeing how GAIA reacts to your move in your AAR. I think you will get away with it, but I would never try it against a human - especially not Andy!

Post #: 114
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 8:07:21 PM   
karonagames

End turn 11: The rail lines are not repaired, so supplies are having to be moved by truck for 120miles more than they should do, consequently the panzers' progress is being measured in yards, especially to the south of Moscow. I know I must try to emulate Jon, and spread the line as thinly as I can then pounce on any crack that appears in the line. I just can't see any cracks in front of Moscow at the moment.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 115
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 8:11:43 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 11: Plenty of Cracks in this sector that I hope to exploit. The rail line that will go through Bryansk has not been attacked so more supplies should get to this sector.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 116
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 8:16:19 PM   
karonagames

End of turn 11: The Cherkassy pocket has been mopped up so the advance on Kharkhov can begin in earnest.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 117
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 8:20:24 PM   
karonagames

End Turn 11: Finally forced some bridgeheads across the Dnepr - now I can move into the Crimea and Sevastopol

Attachment (1)

Post #: 118
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 8:23:37 PM   
karonagames

End of August: Front line North.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 119
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/22/2010 8:24:27 PM   
karonagames

End of August: Front Line South.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal Noob Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI