Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITP New Screenshots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> WITP New Screenshots Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITP New Screenshots - 8/6/2002 2:09:17 AM   
Rob Roberson

drool.
Post #: 1
- 8/6/2002 2:12:20 AM   
U2

We need buckets here:D drool

Dan

(in reply to Rob Roberson)
Post #: 2
- 8/6/2002 3:59:12 AM   
jhdeerslayer

Any guesses on a potential ship date?

Post #: 3
- 8/6/2002 4:09:54 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Deerslayer
[B]Any guesses on a potential ship date? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi

Go to the Matrix main page and click on "development" and then on WITP and it will provide you with all the info you need.

Dan

Post #: 4
- 8/6/2002 5:13:56 AM   
Blitzer

Whoa Baby! My life finally has a purpose.:D

Post #: 5
- 8/6/2002 9:46:55 AM   
Yamamoto

What is the scale of WiTP ? It looks about 1/2 the size of uncommon valor.

Yamamoto

Post #: 6
- 8/6/2002 11:26:28 AM   
IChristie

Close.

50 miles per hex in WITP vs 30 mile per hex in UV

Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan

Post #: 7
- 8/6/2002 12:27:03 PM   
Matt Erickson

hmmm march 2003:(

Post #: 8
- 8/6/2002 7:52:02 PM   
Sonny

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IChristie
[B]Close.

50 miles per hex in WITP vs 30 mile per hex in UV [/B][/QUOTE]

Is this 50 miles per hex gonna add more fuel to the Tokyo Express debate?:D

Post #: 9
- 8/7/2002 6:21:31 AM   
Rex Bellator

Looks promising, but I miss the old national objective flags like in the original. Hope they make in back into the game instead of the omniprescent White Star.

Post #: 10
- 8/7/2002 6:31:24 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rex Bellator
[B]Looks promising, but I miss the old national objective flags like in the original. Hope they make in back into the game instead of the omniprescent White Star. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi

Somewhere in the back of my head I think I remember someone saying something about that there will be different flags on the bases for the various countries. As Ian and others have pointed out the map is in no way finished yet. But it is still smashing.

Dan

Post #: 11
- 8/7/2002 7:50:52 AM   
Matt Erickson

this game sounds really GOOOOOD...then again i dont have uncommon valor yet chips an bits hasent sent me a confirmation of processed order yet i'm starting to get ticked:(

Post #: 12
- 8/7/2002 8:59:10 AM   
von Murrin

After playing UV, the prospect of WitP was somewhat overwhelming.

That full EAP shot is somehow very comforting. I feel relieved. :p

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

Post #: 13
- 8/7/2002 10:41:38 AM   
pasternakski

I can't wait to send in my shock troops ...

Post #: 14
only one complaint so far - 8/7/2002 12:27:32 PM   
brisd

1 day turns? You must be kidding! 4 years X 365 days = TOO LONG. The war was finished in less time...

PacWar got it right with weekly turns, a strategic level game. This is an operational level monster game, I think the dreaded IT might have been at last created. I guess it can be set for 7 day turns or continuous play till interrupted for solo play. The temptation to micro-manage every phase will suck up whatever life you had. Hoping for the best but I think it will make PacWar's learning curve look like Checkers by comparison.

Maps are very beautiful, better be you will be spending a lifetime in front of them! :p

Post #: 15
- 8/7/2002 1:56:03 PM   
XPav

The amount of micromanagement is slightly scary.

In addition, it looks like there's the entire CBI theatre. If the ground combat rules don't change, well, that's going to be boring as all hell. Go play TOAW for that.

There are a few parts of the Pacific theatre that I would like to play, but overall, I think we got the fun part in UV. On the one side of the battle for the south pacific, we had the Japanese stomp the allies. On the other side, we had the allies stomp the Japanese.

It will be interesting to see if WiTP will be worth buying.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Post #: 16
- 8/7/2002 5:00:01 PM   
Jupo

1 day turns are good.. and hopefully lot's of micromanagment included in that game :)

Well there would be good to but some possibilities for atomatic systems but basicaly: more you can control, better the game is :)

It dosen't mather that will one game take 1 year of your life.. Longer the game is then better it is :)

Post #: 17
To BIG! - 8/7/2002 9:51:15 PM   
mariovalleemtl

I totally agree with Brisd.

[URL=http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23971]Read that;[/URL]

Post #: 18
- 8/8/2002 12:02:31 AM   
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

I wish ppl would post links to the screenshots in threads like this. Now I have to go find them my lazy self. :rolleyes:

Post #: 19
- 8/8/2002 12:04:55 AM   
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/WarInThePacific/screenshots.asp

:rolleyes:

Post #: 20
- 8/8/2002 1:51:08 AM   
pasternakski

As us lawyers say, "More is better."

Bring it on!

--------------------------------

I will now proceed to entangle the entire area

Post #: 21
- 8/8/2002 7:56:55 PM   
Raverdave

One Day Turns...................................pure [SIZE=4]BLISS[/SIZE] :)

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 22
Too big for me - 8/8/2002 9:10:19 PM   
victor semensi

Count me as another who thinks that WitP will be too overwhelming and long to enjoy. Between work and family commitments I'm lucky if I can send more than 1 email turn a day for any game, I can't see spending 2+ years on one campaign. It reminds me of the monster boardgames I'd set up then put away before even starting one turn. I hope UV will continue to be updated for those of us who prefer this level of combat. I'll be waiting for a game covering the Mediterranean for my next purchase.

Post #: 23
- 8/8/2002 9:30:50 PM   
Spooky

I wonder why Matrix has created a WITP website :confused:

So please read : Phases are one day, composed of two 12-hour impulses. A turn is composed of 1 to 7 phases, at the player’s discretion

So you will be able to play WITP like PacWar with weekly turns :cool: !

Spooky

Post #: 24
- 8/8/2002 9:34:21 PM   
John Carney

I am sure that there will be many small scenarios. Such as Midway, Java Sea, Malaya Campaign, Coral Sea, and so on to provide short games for those who want. To get a true large-scale campaign game is most outstanding. It may take two years to complete a comprehensive game, but it is the action of deciding the course of history, “If I was …. I would have….”.

Post #: 25
Re: Too big for me - 8/8/2002 11:36:55 PM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by victor semensi
[B]Count me as another who thinks that WitP will be too overwhelming and long to enjoy. Between work and family commitments I'm lucky if I can send more than 1 email turn a day for any game, I can't see spending 2+ years on one campaign. It reminds me of the monster boardgames I'd set up then put away before even starting one turn. I hope UV will continue to be updated for those of us who prefer this level of combat. I'll be waiting for a game covering the Mediterranean for my next purchase. [/B][/QUOTE]

As far as I can see, you can solve your two biggest problems by jettisoning your family and quitting your job. Even when you're homeless, you can haul your computer into the Salvation Army shelter and, when the praying's done, plug 'er in and fire 'er up.

-------------------------------

Post #: 26
Re: Too big for me - 8/9/2002 2:10:54 AM   
Sonny

[B]Count me as another who thinks that WitP will be too overwhelming and long to enjoy. Between work and family commitments I'm lucky if I can send more than 1 email turn a day for any game, I can't see spending 2+ years on one campaign. It reminds me of the monster boardgames I'd set up then put away before even starting one turn. I hope UV will continue to be updated for those of us who prefer this level of combat. I'll be waiting for a game covering the Mediterranean for my next purchase. [/B][/QUOTE]

Count me as one of those who would set up the huge board games and look at them a while and then put them away. Had no one who wanted to play them and even the few that were attempted either got creamed by a pet or a gust of wind or inadvertent bump of the table or the opponent lost interest.

But with it all on computer it is a different story. I can play when I want for as long or short as I want without my AI opponent losing interest - and the cat can't knock over the pieces.

My big concern with a game this long is this: I am playing 6 PBEM games of UV and the three that were in progress when patch 1.20 came out all wanted to restart. So none of my games has gotten past June '42. With WitP being much larger and more complex I am assuming that there will be bugs that need fixing etc. and patches will be abundant. This might mean a lot of restarts or folks whining about how they got cheated because my B-17s were too devastating in the early game and they want to start over because they lost too many ships in the first month etc.

The good side is that UV seems to have been a great test bed for WitP and 2BY3/Matrix have done a good job and appear to have learned some valuable lessons from it.

Post #: 27
Re: Too big for me - 8/9/2002 4:05:10 AM   
Matt Erickson

funny you should say that when I was a kid me and my friend thats ALL we played:D nobody says that you have to finish it.

Post #: 28
- 8/9/2002 11:48:50 AM   
victor semensi

[QUOTE][I]Originally posted by Matt Ericson[/I]

funny you should say that when I was a kid me and my friend thats ALL we played nobody says that you have to finish it.[/QUOTE]

Not finishing games is a sure way to lose email opponents. I have nothing against WitP and I'm sure most UV owners will be buying it. For me a game that size crosses the line between fun and work but that's just me. I'm just hoping that it doesn't drain resources that could be used to keep UV updated and a Med game released.

Post #: 29
- 8/9/2002 12:20:09 PM   
pasternakski

[B]

Not finishing games is a sure way to lose email opponents. I have nothing against WitP and I'm sure most UV owners will be buying it. For me a game that size crosses the line between fun and work but that's just me. I'm just hoping that it doesn't drain resources that could be used to keep UV updated and a Med game released. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly, Victor. A game that takes this long to play creates the problem you depict for PBEM players. It will likely wind up mostly being played solitaire against the AI.

We hope, therefore, that the AI is as good as it can be. There is an interesting discussion of this very point underway in the UV forum under "Our dear friend the AI," where a number of excellent points have been made, and are being made, about how to ensure that the human player is confronted by the highest quality possible computer player.

I think, too, that the Matrix and 2 by 3 people can be trusted to give us the nastiest challenge possible, given the current state of technology and understanding. Give us hell, boys!

-------------------------------

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> WITP New Screenshots Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI