Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bitter Glory

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bitter Glory Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bitter Glory - 5/29/2010 1:57:36 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

If you are looking for a topic for your next update, then how about something about the combat model?

It's interesting to read that units are made of platoon-sized elements of various types. But how do you calculate the results of combat with such and who will be casualties? How does randomness come into the results? What if you have a surplus of some equipment after a fight (captured or losses of men)? Is the surplus returned to the logistics centers?

Also how are ships handled? Are these considered to be units like everything else with some "equipment"? How do you handle damage to them? Do they have more than one damaged state? And can tanks be damaged or only destroyed/operational? Lots of interesting stuff

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 151
RE: Bitter Glory - 5/31/2010 12:31:03 PM   
Anraz

quote:

It's interesting to read that units are made of platoon-sized elements of various types. But how do you calculate the results of combat with such and who will be casualties? How does randomness come into the results? What if you have a surplus of some equipment after a fight (captured or losses of men)? Is the surplus returned to the logistics centers?

In short a platoon to destroy is chosen randomly with preferences to destroy combat platoon in advance of services. However a platoon has a chance to defend and instead of being destroyed a unit may lost part of its conditions. The better the platoon is the biggest chance to survive.

While a platoon is part of  a unit men and equipment are united into one entity. A destroyed platoon means lost of soldiers and their arms. Of course there are some exceptions, for example during combat enemy can capture enemy platoon (without men...).

Capturing logistic centers and buying platoons (as weapons) also is possible. Imagine  a German unit  in Russia composed mostly of  German equipment with addition of a few Russian T-34 and some captured weapons in other European countries (Czech, Polish, French), and some bought abroad (Swedish, Swiss). As it was...

quote:

Also how are ships handled? Are these considered to be units like everything else with some "equipment"? How do you handle damage to them? Do they have more than one damaged state?

Naval units are indivisible, but configurable before build (there is a detailed ship constructor in the game). Instead ships have status and condition. Status  is responsible for ship integrity, condition is responsible for minor damages and breakdowns.

quote:

And can tanks be damaged or only destroyed/operational? Lots of interesting stuff

In case of land units you can treat lowering of units` condition as a temporary damage of some equipment, or as temporary  loss of combat capabilities due to disorder,  but also as fatigue (combat and movement “consume” condition). Condition is very important parameter, sometimes even more important then units` strength.

(in reply to Mac_MatrixForum)
Post #: 152
RE: Bitter Glory - 6/6/2010 5:49:12 PM   
Anraz

A big screen

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 153
RE: Bitter Glory - 6/23/2010 5:12:05 PM   
Anraz

Ingame climates:

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 154
RE: Bitter Glory - 6/23/2010 5:42:53 PM   
SlickWilhelm

I'm surprised that "Bitter Glory" does not have it's own sub-forum in the "Coming Soon" section here. Any idea why this is?

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 155
RE: Bitter Glory - 6/23/2010 5:48:03 PM   
Anraz

Still it is too early.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 156
RE: Bitter Glory - 6/26/2010 5:33:43 PM   
CarnivalBizarre

This game could be a geeks best friend!

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 157
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/18/2010 10:58:59 AM   
Anraz

Industrial centers in Europe  (the first revision)

(in reply to CarnivalBizarre)
Post #: 158
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/18/2010 4:25:52 PM   
Josh

Very nice, great looking map!

And excuse me for asking a question, but is there an industrial centre in the Northern part of Holland? The part where it almost hits the North Sea? (that's where I live) I am not aware of any industrial activities there, then or now.... So yeah, there was an important airbase for German interceptors in my home town (well it's still there actually) but that's not an industrial centre.
Sure, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and then some Southern cities (Philips)... but that Northern one puzzles me.

Thanks for the update and the screenshot.

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 159
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/18/2010 4:30:35 PM   
Josh

I think I understand it better after looking longer at the map. Most cities have an industrial center, my town (Leeuwarden) and the other Northern city (Groningen) probably are considered minor industrial centres, the large cities have major industrial centres.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 160
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/20/2010 8:44:35 AM   
Anraz

In fact “industry” in BG means also light industry and craft (gross domestic product minus resources extraction and minus food production). As substitution to industry we could use here “economic capability”(EC).   Cities you mentioned (and perfectly recognized) have in sum only 2EC out of 26EC in whole Holland.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 161
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/20/2010 2:04:14 PM   
Josh

Thx for explaining that, I think the amount of 2EC for the northern cities is about right.

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 162
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/23/2010 9:48:13 PM   
Anraz

I think a screen below might be interesting (industry, roads, rivers, strategic regions and most important cities; still it is merely a picture from the editor):

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 163
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/24/2010 4:46:17 PM   
Josh

Will we have beta AAR's like War in the East has? To give us an idea as to how the game plays.

/whispermode: IstaMbul ?? --->Istanbul
It's only in ALfa ofcourse, sorry to bring it up.

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 164
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/24/2010 5:13:47 PM   
Perturabo

Crazy stuff. Really impressive.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 165
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/25/2010 11:53:06 AM   
Mac_MatrixForum

Small correction, in Finland you should have Helsinki instead of "Helsingsfors" (Helsingfors, note spelling, is the Swedish name).

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 166
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/25/2010 4:28:02 PM   
Widell

...and by all means, also the English name which also seems to be the standard across the map....

(in reply to Mac_MatrixForum)
Post #: 167
RE: Bitter Glory - 7/26/2010 9:39:05 AM   
Anraz

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Josh   Will we have beta AAR's like War in the East has? To give us an idea as to how the game plays.
  IMO it is a very good idea.  
quote:

whispermode
  There are still a lot of wrinkles to iron out before the  game can be marked as beta. Will do...

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 168
RE: Bitter Glory - 8/8/2010 9:08:01 PM   
Anraz

And another step forward:

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 169
RE: Bitter Glory - 8/11/2010 1:00:14 AM   
madgamer2

Do you really think HOI 3 is worth being even considered to be called a game after that really bad trailer they Made? Is dividing up a map into trillions of little areas and having some kind of battle system they want you to believe is RTS worth putting down your hard earned money worthwhile? Just my thoughts. The HOI series like the Civilization series started out good and got worse.

Madgamer

If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 170
RE: Bitter Glory - 10/1/2010 9:37:32 PM   
Lrfss

Wow, if this makes it to release it will blow up the wargamer world for sure....best of luck and can't wait to see this based on my experience with ToW... HOI was a start, HOI 2 was better and HOI 3 was a huge flop!

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 171
RE: Bitter Glory - 11/4/2010 8:45:56 AM   
Anraz

Have you heard that we decided to switch to 3D? I imagine it is a bit controversial however everything I wrote earlier about the game is actual except graphic layer of the game (still there is special place for counters  in the game). More info will come in the Christmas season, now I can show screens with basic wireframe:

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 172
RE: Bitter Glory - 11/4/2010 8:49:21 AM   
diablo1

Is this going to be a turn based game? I hope I hope I hope? I never liked the HOI series because it is real time. Starting and pausing and starting and pausing is a PITA. I like to think each turn out each piece I move etc. Nothing beats a good turn based playing game to me.

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 173
RE: Bitter Glory - 11/4/2010 3:10:58 PM   
Feltan

The 3-D map -- I am mixed about it.

On one hand, I know it will probably appeal to kids and increase sales.

On the other hand, I think it mere eyecandy and not necessary to the game. Certainly not necessary for a Grand Strategic game as this seems to be -- tactical games might benefit though.

It is a reality, but a sad state of affairs, when "features" have to be added to appeal to (what I will call) morons who probably don't understand 10% of what the game is about.

I hope that an option/preference exists to switch to 2D mapping.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 174
RE: Bitter Glory - 11/4/2010 4:26:54 PM   
JudgeDredd

3D map has now peaked my interest in the game!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 175
RE: Bitter Glory - 11/4/2010 5:58:35 PM   
vonRocko

Too bad wasteland doesn't put as much effort into the AI. Judging by their other games, I don't have much hope for this. All looks, no substance.

< Message edited by vonRocko -- 11/4/2010 5:59:38 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 176
RE: Bitter Glory - 12/22/2010 10:07:57 AM   
Anraz

VonRocko, so far no AI can match human player, that is why it is so difficult to meet expectation of skilled player. However, we are trying to improve AI in all our games, for example if you played Time of Wrath you might have noticed that with every patch AI was constantly being  improved. The other thing is that Bitter Glory has its own engine written from scratch and I would say it is a good omen.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 177
RE: Bitter Glory - 12/22/2010 10:10:08 AM   
Anraz

We have published new screens with new terrain!

Italy (textured version of the screen from  previous post)

The Horn of Africa with Ethiopia (where tutorial of the game takes place), Italian colony of Somalia, British Sudan and other British, French and Belgian colonial territories around African Great Lakes region (Eastern and Central Africa):

Lake Baikal in Siberia, transiberian railway, and part of Inner Mongolia and Manchukuo were Soviet Transbaikal Front was attacking during Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945:

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 178
RE: Bitter Glory - 3/16/2011 12:40:39 PM   
Anraz

A closer look to new terrain  

and a new gui

< Message edited by Anraz -- 3/16/2011 9:51:05 PM >

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 179
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bitter Glory Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI