Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 12:37:25 AM   
veldek01

I need help.

I sent by mistake a task force of SUB to Japan and they are returning back out of fuel... I did send an AO as replenishment and it didn't work! How do I refuel sub at sea?

Thx
Post #: 1
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 12:41:12 AM   
ade670

Hi,

Don't think you can. However by using an AS Support ship you can refuel and rearm at any base - my suggestion would be to move the subs to the nearest harbour and then move an AS support fleet to refuel the subs.

I think your subs will move one hex a turn for a while - I have had subs abandoned after prolonged movement without fuel

Ade

(in reply to veldek01)
Post #: 2
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 12:54:55 AM   
Mistmatz

As mentioned you can't. But if you have a small base in reach before the sub dies from accumulated damage it would be sufficient to send a little xAK loaded with fuel to meet the sub there, no need to risk an AS for such a rescue operation. I'm not sure if you could refuel from the AK's bunker but probably that would work also. Though I think you might need a port level 1, port level 0 might not work unless you have naval support to unload fuel from the AK.

If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_the_Pacific:_Admiral%27s_Edition_Wiki

(in reply to ade670)
Post #: 3
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 4:23:52 AM   
Heeward

Send another submarine to meet it set the TF to Merge. The newly arriving submarine will refuel the other submarine.

The Wake

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 4
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 4:47:06 AM   
Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heeward

Send another submarine to meet it set the TF to Merge. The newly arriving submarine will refuel the other submarine.

Are you sure this works? I don't know. I seem to remember in another thread that subs can not refuel at sea, no matter what you try. It has to be at a port. I think there was some logic to this. Or it was too hard to code. I don't remember the reason.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 5
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 6:34:18 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heeward

Are you sure this works? I don't know. I seem to remember in another thread that subs can not refuel at sea, no matter what you try. It has to be at a port. I think there was some logic to this. Or it was too hard to code. I don't remember the reason.

I have never gotten a sub to refuel at sea, including from another sub.

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 6
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 8:59:12 AM   
Ametysth

Subs can't refuel at sea. As a reason why not, only explanation I have seen was "Possibility of a cheat", but I never have heard what kind of cheat it would have created.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 7
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 3:37:56 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ametysth

Subs can't refuel at sea. As a reason why not, only explanation I have seen was "Possibility of a cheat", but I never have heard what kind of cheat it would have created.

The reason, I suspect, is that USN subs didn't refuel at sea. I don't think they even carried hoses.

The Moose

(in reply to Ametysth)
Post #: 8
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 3:49:52 PM   
Ametysth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

The reason, I suspect, is that USN subs didn't refuel at sea. I don't think they even carried hoses.

There was no designated "hose" on German U-boats either. This didn't prevent them from refueling on ad-hoc equipment from one U-boat to another. They even transferred torpedoes from boats forced to leave the patrol areas to boats still remaining there in mid-ocean, with equipment built from carpenter's locker, so obviously all it takes is will and need to do this, not specific 'equipment'.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 9
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 4:17:59 PM   
Puhis

quote:

I remember back in the UV you could use subs as oilers for barges. Just one or two stationary subs in the middle of an ocean, and barges are running nicely...

(in reply to Ametysth)
Post #: 10
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 4:53:49 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

There was no designated "hose" on German U-boats either. This didn't prevent them from refueling on ad-hoc equipment from one U-boat to another. They even transferred torpedoes from boats forced to leave the patrol areas to boats still remaining there in mid-ocean, with equipment built from carpenter's locker, so obviously all it takes is will and need to do this, not specific 'equipment'.

There was a hose on the milch cows. Refueling from non-milch cows was not done to my knowledge.

USN subs don't have a "carpenter's locker." Then or now. No wood except DC plugs and a tiny bit of decorative gingerbread. Wood burns. They didn't carry paint either. It burns and you can't breath the fumes. No boatswain's locker. No boatswains for that matter. Subs were and are in a differnet navy than skimmers.

USN subs load with torpedo loading skids that were stored in the superstructure in peacetime, and not taken on patrol in wartime. Or anchors. Or, often, any mooring lines. Subs were stripped to fight and be quiet, nothing else. They had no deck crane or derrick to handle weapons regardless of the skid.

Comparing U-boat design trade-offs in a different ocean is a non-starter. The Pacific is vastly larger that the Atlantic, and the patrol areas were 5000 miles from base, not 500 miles from the French coast. USN subs didn't refuel each other. Just the way it was.

The Moose

(in reply to Ametysth)
Post #: 11
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 5:22:09 PM   
Ametysth

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There was a hose on the milch cows. Refueling from non-milch cows was not done to my knowledge.

USN subs don't have a "carpenter's locker." Then or now. No wood except DC plugs and a tiny bit of decorative gingerbread. Wood burns. They didn't carry paint either. It burns and you can't breath the fumes. No boatswain's locker. No boatswains for that matter. Subs were and are in a differnet navy than skimmers.

USN subs load with torpedo loading skids that were stored in the superstructure in peacetime, and not taken on patrol in wartime. Or anchors. Or, often, any mooring lines. Subs were stripped to fight and be quiet, nothing else. They had no deck crane or derrick to handle weapons regardless of the skid.

Comparing U-boat design trade-offs in a different ocean is a non-starter. The Pacific is vastly larger that the Atlantic, and the patrol areas were 5000 miles from base, not 500 miles from the French coast. USN subs didn't refuel each other. Just the way it was.

Germans did do refuelling operations before milk-cows, which become operational only later half of 1942. They usually topped the tanks of VII type subs arriving to patrol areas from larger, longer range type IX subs. U-194 did two such operations I'm aware of and U-547 received fuel from non-milk cow at least once. All of these were needed to allow Type VII operate in US East Coast.

Carpenter's Locker is another name for DC locker. So US boats do have one (name doesn't mean there is only wood inside).

Germans were perhaps better equipped to handle the torpedoes (they had deck canisters), but they most certainly weren't designed to transfer them on mid-ocean either. Claiming that USN couldn't have jury-rigged similar system if truly wanted/needed to do so is just silly. Especially if one remembers US armed forces reputation of ad-hoc equipment and improvisation when needed.

Oh, and about ranges; 500 nm from France? Think again. We are talking about type VII subs operating in Gulf of Mexico, Lesser Antilles and on entrances of Galveston. 70 days patrols in boats originally designed to operate around British Isles. Ranges are about the same as US fleet boats faced, if not more.

Post #: 12
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 5:32:41 PM   
John Lansford

ametsyth,

I think you need to recheck your distances.  US Pacific subs could and did operate off the Japanese coast from Pearl Harbor; IIRC they did so from Fremantle as well.  That's quite a bit further than from France to Galveston.

Getting back to the game, though, you cannot refuel a sub in any way outside of a base.  If your sub runs out of fuel your only hope is to head for the nearest friendly base and have a ship unload some fuel there.  They won't refuel even from a tanker or oiler in a base, just take it from the port itself.

(in reply to Ametysth)
Post #: 13
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 6:11:20 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Germans did do refuelling operations before milk-cows, which become operational only later half of 1942. They usually topped the tanks of VII type subs arriving to patrol areas from larger, longer range type IX subs. U-194 did two such operations I'm aware of and U-547 received fuel from non-milk cow at least once. All of these were needed to allow Type VII operate in US East Coast.

A Type IX was a milch cow in function, if not in name. Same idea. The USN didn't have the disparity in design sizes to allow this. Nor were we stupid enough to employ the baby-sitting radio comms needed for mid-ocean meet-ups when using manual star-sights to navigate. Again, Pacific=big. And we trusted our COs to be lone hunters. They didn't need to phone home every day so SubPac could wipe their noses.

Carpenter's Locker is another name for DC locker. So US boats do have one (name doesn't mean there is only wood inside).

The USN calls DC lockers "DC lockers." Subs don't have them. DC equipment is stored in the operating spaces. I qualified in subs in 1982; my father qualified in 1960 on a WWII Guppy-modded boat that is in AE. I spent time aboard as a child. I think I know a bit about submairne DC.

Germans were perhaps better equipped to handle the torpedoes (they had deck canisters),

Yes, EXTERNAL stowage of reloads demonstrates the German lack of respect for the lives of their crews, as well as air power changing ASW. Lunacy.

but they most certainly weren't designed to transfer them on mid-ocean either. Claiming that USN couldn't have jury-rigged similar system if truly wanted/needed to do so is just silly. Especially if one remembers US armed forces reputation of ad-hoc equipment and improvisation when needed.

You can't s**t a crane in mid-ocean. A MK14 weighs about 3000 pounds, and is pretty sinkable. Not to mention wave action and the HUGE diameter of a torpedo-loading hatch, and the reserve-buoyance-killing volume of the forward TR. Flooding it was a non-recoverable event, and fleet boats had no free-board. In perfectly calm seas, maybe. In any sort of sea-state, no. Not to mention, again, the exposure to airborne ASW.

The conundrum for the USN was that doing torpedo transfer far enough forward to matter exposed two boats to unacceptable risks of a multi-hour surfaced operation. We had no torpedo shortage after the first months. We had tenders. We had Seabees. We built our subs to be fast and long-range (the Type VII was used far against its design parameters range-wise.) We didn't need to do risky torpedo transfers--or carry the gear to do them 12,000 miles out and back--because we had mobile submarine support, and set up new bases as we went forward. The Germans didn't and couldn't.

Oh, and about ranges; 500 nm from France? Think again. We are talking about type VII subs operating in Gulf of Mexico, Lesser Antilles and on entrances of Galveston. 70 days patrols in boats originally designed to operate around British Isles. Ranges are about the same as US fleet boats faced, if not more.

Snort. Yeah, for a few months. For the majority of the U-boats' short, exciting career, they operated in mid-Atlantic. Then they died, by the hundreds. When the German navy conducts a SUCCESSFUL submarine campaign, get back to me. They've had two tries, and failed miserably both times.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 7/27/2010 1:20:54 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to Ametysth)
Post #: 14
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 7:53:22 PM   
Whisper

It is very hard to argue fact with with the "every German weapon is perfect" crowd but here is my attempt anyway. Look at 2 submarines commissioned in 1936. A type VIIC and a Perch. The Perch was 1/3 longer, had twice the tonnage, had twice the bunker capacity, had 160% of the range, more torpedoes and all stored internally, infinitely better habitability for long patrols and 3 times the crappers and they weren't stuffed full of cheese, bannanas and sausages.

US fleet boats were designed for long range patrols. There is no option for submarines to refuel or rearm at sea. We designed this game to be War in the Pacific.

Post #: 15
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 8:05:11 PM   
Bradley7735

quote:

Snort. Yeah, for a few months. For the majority of the U-boats' short, exciting career, they operated in mid-Atlantic. Then they died, by the hundreds. When the German navy conducts a SUCCESSFUL submarine campaign, get back to me. They've had two tries, and failed miserably both times.

Bullwinkle, you definitely know your stuff when it comes to subs. I agree that the Germans didn't win the battle of the Atlantic. But, when you can say you sank around 10 ships for every sub lost, I wouldn't call that failing miserably. If USA didn't join the fight, Germany probably would have starved England.

I would say they barely failed to win. If Japan was half as good as the Allies were in regards to ASW, then our submarine campaign might not have succeeded either. A submarine campaign is a tough one to win. US won in the Pacific, I think, because Japan failed to react and couldn't build replacements in any meaningful manner. Germany failed in the Atlantic because they just couldn't compete with the production of the US (and the fact that the Allies ASW grew exponentially after the US joined.) Germany made some awesome achievements that were just too little, too late.

The older I get, the better I was.

Post #: 16
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 8:33:46 PM   
Whisper

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bullwinkle, you definitely know your stuff when it comes to subs. I agree that the Germans didn't win the battle of the Atlantic. But, when you can say you sank around 10 ships for every sub lost, I wouldn't call that failing miserably. If USA didn't join the fight, Germany probably would have starved England.

I would say they barely failed to win. If Japan was half as good as the Allies were in regards to ASW, then our submarine campaign might not have succeeded either. A submarine campaign is a tough one to win. US won in the Pacific, I think, because Japan failed to react and couldn't build replacements in any meaningful manner. Germany failed in the Atlantic because they just couldn't compete with the production of the US (and the fact that the Allies ASW grew exponentially after the US joined.) Germany made some awesome achievements that were just too little, too late.

So what? This is a game of War in the Pacific. the tactical and strategic requirements there were as differnt from the Atlantic as apples and crawfish. Who cares if Germany could have won the war? Is this a WITP thread or just another vehicle for the "we would all be speaking german if we didn't have to face reality" folks?

< Message edited by Whisper -- 7/26/2010 8:35:00 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/26/2010 9:14:33 PM   
Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whisper

quote:

quote:

quote:

So what? This is a game of War in the Pacific. the tactical and strategic requirements there were as differnt from the Atlantic as apples and crawfish. Who cares if Germany could have won the war? Is this a WITP thread or just another vehicle for the "we would all be speaking german if we didn't have to face reality" folks?

The op had his question answered, so I guess there's a few of us engaging in another friendly WWII thread.

(in reply to Whisper)
Post #: 18
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/27/2010 12:56:34 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whisper

It is very hard to argue fact with with the "every German weapon is perfect" crowd but here is my attempt anyway. Look at 2 submarines commissioned in 1936. A type VIIC and a Perch. The Perch was 1/3 longer, had twice the tonnage, had twice the bunker capacity, had 160% of the range, more torpedoes and all stored internally, infinitely better habitability for long patrols and 3 times the crappers and they weren't stuffed full of cheese, bannanas and sausages.

US fleet boats were designed for long range patrols. There is no option for submarines to refuel or rearm at sea. We designed this game to be War in the Pacific.

Agree with all your facts. But, and an importnat but, the fleet boat was designed for a War Plan Orange war, as "fleet" boats, not lone hunters. When conditions after 12/7/41 made WPO a non-starter, the Silent Service adapted with equipment not purpose-built (more torpedo stowage would have increased on-station time a lot for example; the Seawolf class of the 1980s was built with a 50-fish load-out specifically so she only had to run the GI-UK Gap once--as told to me by SubLant himself in 1983. But I digress.)

German submariners were iron men; they went above and beyond with what they had to work with, and gave the Allies a run for it, at least for a little while. But to call Hitler a naval idiot is an insult to naval idiots. He had all the evidence he needed from 1914-1918 to know that the Atlantic submarine war would be the decisive naval factor, and he still designed the Type VIIs (let alone wasting resources manning the Type IIs.) Instead to taking Iceland, and then the Azores, with a surface fleet and tactical naval air to make these moves stick, he invaded the USSR. As soon as he declared war on the USA he lost the naval war in the Atlantic. He could never make up for lost time when we got cranking on building.

GB is an island. Japan is an island. The USA isolated our island and crushed the Japanese economy. Despite his best efforts, Hitler never came close to shutting down the Atlantic, depsite the advantages of close bases in France, no transit choke-points once Kiel was abandoned for France, air bases for spotter aircraft, and HUGE convoys sailing between known points. The USN had none of these advantages, and fewer subs, yet we got the job done. Germany failed to close the Atlantic, again.

The Moose

(in reply to Whisper)
Post #: 19
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/27/2010 1:09:59 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

N.B. that Germany declared war on us, not the other way. Hitler volunteered for the ash-kicking applied. U-boats sank a lot of ships because there were a lot of ships to be sunk. QED. However, the distribution of sinkings was not a normal curve over time.

I would say they barely failed to win.

I don't think the tonnages arriving bear this out. It's been years since I read Clay Blair's books (and yes, I know some disgreee with his conclusion. I found the math compelling.) If we had been delayed three months in ramping up tonnages it wouldn't have mattered. Overlord might have slipped into fall 1944, but in early 1942 GB was geographically safe from invasion. The USSR side of things might have been significantly different, but there was no way the Germans were going to hold the USSR by 1942. They'd already lost the eastern war; the head just hadn't gotten the message.

If Japan was half as good as the Allies were in regards to ASW, then our submarine campaign might not have succeeded either.

To be half as good would have crippled other produciton efforts. And we would have put a whole lot more effort into the sub war. We weren't even breathing hard by 1944 putting out boats.

A submarine campaign is a tough one to win. US won in the Pacific, I think, because Japan failed to react and couldn't build replacements in any meaningful manner. Germany failed in the Atlantic because they just couldn't compete with the production of the US (and the fact that the Allies ASW grew exponentially after the US joined.) Germany made some awesome achievements that were just too little, too late.

WWII submarine tech was all about base location, which allowed short cycle times, and more time on targets. We did that in a variety of ways, mostly by moving the front closer to the action. The Germans never did, because they didn't plan before the war to win the submarine war. Why? They had an idiot leading them. If the German navy had owned mid-Atlantic and northern bases they could have stopped us cold in 1942 and early 1943 due to sheer numbers of hulls, and by denying US use of the Azores and Iceland. Torch would not have succeeded for sure on the historic timeline. They tried to do cutsie work-arounds like milch cows instead of, pre-war, building the hardware they needed, and that WWI should have told them they needed. Instead, they built subs designed to stop the convoy 100 miles from the Irish coast, and when air power made that locale untenable, they were screwed. They scrambled, but they were screwed.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 7/27/2010 1:24:54 AM >

The Moose

Post #: 20
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/27/2010 1:58:16 PM   
AW1Steve

While US boats were capable of carrying fuel (on rare occasion they carried aviation fuel to refuel seaplanes) it required special planning and equipment, and was not normally done.I agree that US submariners in an emergency could be be very inventive (witness the pre-war case of the R-boat coming home to Pearl Harbor under sail) it would really complicate the game by permitting this feature.Note---Doolittle proved you could launch a B-25 off a carrier, but you can't do it in the game. Imagine how players would complicate the game to a point that charges of "gamey-ness" would fly. And they'd be right. Special, "one-off" events that required special training and equipment, not to mention LOTS of planning should not be permitted to be accomplished "on the fly". Just my opinion

Post #: 21
RE: HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? - 7/27/2010 8:47:07 PM   
Whisper

That is what I thought. USN does a decent job of overcoming and adapting this days. Not a war-2 expert but guess they did okay back then too. We are taught that a weapon is a weapon and not a name. A rock can kill you just as dead as a nuke. imo them 'fleet' subs had just we needed and do not much care what they were built to do. When a weapon comes into your hand you use it as best you can to achieve your objective. Maybe we could have our subs do things they were not supposed to do because they were just better.

Agree. It is not in-game if it was not normal and routine.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HOW TO REFUEL SUB AT SEA? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI