Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's next for CC?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> What's next for CC? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 1:45:50 AM   
D.Ilse

I still love the top down graphics vs modern 3d stuff.

from COI to LSA, the game has evolved quite a bit..a good number of features are included(or returned to) the game in LSA..like the points system. Thank god that killed the tank rushes of CC4 and CC5 I've had to deal with.

What could be the next CC Battlefield? We could go East or West, pre-Kursk or post

Italy has never been done(nor Sicily) which could be a excellect slug match using alot of existing CC4/CC5 unit data(German, Brit and Commonwealth and American)

I don't know, but CloseCombat: The Road to Rome, sounds good for a title.
Anzio, Salerno, Sicily,

Or return to Normandy for Operation Epsom or The Battle of St.Lo, the hell of the Bocage.

Post #: 1
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 2:38:11 AM   
RD Oddball

Some great ideas D.Ilse.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 2
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 4:24:57 AM   
jomni

Pacific theater.  The new AI behavior of charghing to the flags looks very much like a Banzai charge.

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 3
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 7:29:34 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

Or return to Normandy for Operation Epsom or The Battle of St.Lo, the hell of the Bocage.

Well CC1 is the last to be updated....so St. Lo it may be...

My vote goes for France and the Low Countries, 1940.

Chad

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 4
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 8:05:42 PM   
Reboot

Italia! (Especially Monte Cassino)

CCNUT

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 5
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 8:53:23 PM   
Dundradal

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Pacific theater. 

Seconded.

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message Marathon Infinity

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 6
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 10:44:20 PM   
LitFuel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dundradal

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Pacific theater. 

Seconded.

Thirded...Island hopping would be a nice change. If not Pacific then Italy would be my second choice.

(in reply to Dundradal)
Post #: 7
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 10:56:33 PM   
Bradley62

Top down is essential if it ever evolves to new engine. Meantime how 'bout something for Stalingrad!

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 8
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 11:02:18 PM   
Dundradal

The reconquest of Marianas or Philippines would be very interesting. I actually think one based on the liberation of Luzon might be interesting. Or the China-India-Burma theater.

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message Marathon Infinity

(in reply to Bradley62)
Post #: 9
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/26/2010 11:53:33 PM   
Peterk1

Hmmmm...Crete might be fun. More paratroopers. Bridge battles.
Otherwise Stalingrad, but you know, everything on here sounds good so far!

(in reply to Dundradal)
Post #: 10
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/27/2010 1:20:45 AM   
squadleader_id

Stalingrad (summer and winter campaigns) mods are available for CC5...so they just need to be converted/ported to the new CC builds.
There's also a great Kreta mod for CC4...just waiting to be ported.

(in reply to Peterk1)
Post #: 11
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/27/2010 1:57:05 AM   
SkyStrike

Finnish front or war around Burma. If not, then something Pacific or Russia.

(in reply to squadleader_id)
Post #: 12
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/27/2010 2:25:07 AM   
Tejszd

Stalingrad could be very neat combining summer and winter....

Edit:
2nd would be Italy

I have enjoyed the couple mods between the Fins and Russians

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 7/27/2010 2:26:25 AM >

(in reply to SkyStrike)
Post #: 13
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/27/2010 3:21:36 AM   
sol_invictus

Cassino, Stalingrad, or Pacific would be just fine.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 14
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/27/2010 5:49:09 AM   
D.Ilse

I'd buy a game on St.Lo or Italy def..the PTO I don't know..no interest there really.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 15
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/27/2010 10:56:27 AM   
DasHoff

they need to update the graphics for the 21st century. CC with coh graphics would be joy

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 16
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/27/2010 11:54:08 AM   
7A_Woulf

Sicily could be fun; -The grand landing as a starter (both airborne and amphibious), multiple amphibious assaults as you advance around the island, small airborne and Commando operations and a mix of both Italian and elite German defenders.

Cassino to Rome including Anzio, thought of that when I saw a documentary about Cassino the other day.
Operation 'Nordwind', the sequel to the Battle of the Bulge.
Pacific, too little Marines in CC!

-And some work on the AI of course!

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 17
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/27/2010 11:56:53 AM   
chiroho

The last CC game under development by Matrix, before they were acquired by Destineer Games in 2005, was Close Combat - Red Phoenix. This was a more modern scenario loosely based on the novel by Larry Bond in which the US fights with it's South Korean allies against attacks by North Korea and Russia. That's a scenario which I'd be very interested in seeing.

If the next game is a WW2 based game, I'd really like to see a theatre which hasn't previously been covered. Something like North Africa, perhaps Italy, the Balkans in 1941, or somewhere in the Far East. The only issue I see with anything in the Far East is that could end up spending a lot of time micromanaging your tanks through tiny jungle paths, and making frontal assaults on heavily defended entrenched positions in a lot of scenarios, and that doesn't seem as much fun as a freer flowing, more open location.

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 18
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/28/2010 10:24:43 AM   
Hexagon

For me after play many CC5 mods the best choice is something where infantry rule and armor only play a marginal role as support units, an important role but not in huge numbers think that now you can merge units and you can have independent armor companies with... 10-15 tanks you can use then to reinforce pure infantry units with a limit for example 1 tank per 4 units with a maximun of 3 in a battle of 15 units.

I think that Pacific has interesting campaigns like Guadalcanal, Okinawa (one of the best mods for CC5 have armor but maps are full of armor traps) or Peleliu, in Europe good choices for me are Kreta or one of the battle in Italy for the east front well, Stalingrad is the obvious one and you can add others.

Of course if we have a new CC it could be out of WW2 are very good mods like Battle of the Ebro that have a pure infantry battle like in WW1 but with more flexible maps no excesive trench warfare.

But one think that they need is a new scale, for me BG need represent small unit from companies to btl not regiments or brigades, CC is a tactical game and operational level need be in proportion... i allways love the Bloody Omaha desing in campaign map

(in reply to chiroho)
Post #: 19
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/28/2010 10:52:24 AM   
Andrew Williams

I have all the Red Phoenix work saved - 3D working models, an engine,  a bunch of research etc.

try not to mention it or someone might start it up again.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 20
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/28/2010 10:58:19 AM   
Andrew Williams

For a more proportional scenario , what about?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 21
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/28/2010 1:06:05 PM   
Hexagon

Andrew this is a perfect example of my idea, a game where every soldier count and armor have a very important role but where they arent the last word to win and is possible use the system from Omaha mod to see in campaign map a true image of battlefield.... with the new system of "garrison" units on map now is possible have first line with garrison units and true BG units in second line with more options to use then where you want.

Of course, add more things is important, for me the 3D... well, i prefer actual system but need more work to represent much better things like caves/bunkers and a better use of terrain by units (a true tactical AI that deploy infantry as you want in line, forming a cicle or disperse).

Post #: 22
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/28/2010 1:25:22 PM   
Manu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

For a more proportional scenario , what about?

Tarawa! I had already done the maps! It was for the pacific mod for CC3! (8 or 10 years ago!) :)

the maps...

but personaly, the next CC should not be in the pacific ;)

< Message edited by Manu -- 7/28/2010 1:38:26 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/28/2010 2:51:24 PM   
D.Ilse

Just finished reading Pen and Sword's Battleground Europe: Op.Epsom VIII British Corps vs 1.SS Panzer Korps. Four days in Late June 1944.

It would make an interesting game, with the german units. 1,2,9,10, and 12th SS Panzer Divisions, 101.schwere SS Panzer Abteilung(only about 10 tigers saw combat), plus 2.Pz(KG of Panthers from I./3.Pz Rgt), 21.Pz(II./22.Pz Rgt supporting 1.SS) and Pz Lehr(HQ, in command of 2.Pz's KG) Divisions also supported the w.SS Divisions.

I'd have to go back for the OOB for the British(the book has a full OOB for the tommies in the back thankfully)

If not an official game, I am sure it could be modded to TLD with a lot of the team data from TLD and LSA for units.

(in reply to Manu)
Post #: 24
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/30/2010 8:13:15 AM   
D.Ilse

I wonder if two campaigns on the campaign map could work...same battlefield(towns and landmarks, just two different offensives during two different seasons)

The Allied slow advance into the Vosges(Where the Nisei off the 442/100th saved the lost battalion in WWII lore) and then as said before, the last offensive in the west, Op. Nordwind w/11.Pz, 21.Pz, 6.SS Gebrig(Mountain) and 25.Panzergrenadier threw in their all against a stubborn American Defense.

See the books, Keith E. Bonn's When The Odds were Even, The Vosges Mountains Campaign Oct.44-Jan.45, Han von Luck's Panzer Commander, And Steven Zaloga's Operation Nordwind 1945, from Osprey's Campaign Series #223

< Message edited by D.Ilse -- 7/30/2010 8:14:14 AM >

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 25
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/30/2010 9:56:13 AM   
Southernland

What about Dieppe? The scale is right, reduce the turns to 20 minutes each, single time setting in game... the same. About 4500 men involved on the Allied side equating to 15 Bgs of 300 men each

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/UK-RN-II/maps/map24.jpg

< Message edited by Southern_land -- 7/30/2010 9:59:10 AM >

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 26
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/30/2010 8:33:13 PM   
TheReal_Pak40

Yea, I vote Pacific. Any of the islands that the Marines invaded could be made for Close Combat scale. Okinawa would be the big one but all of the smaller islands would work even better at this scale.

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 27
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/30/2010 9:17:50 PM   
Trash78

A proffesionally remake of that old but awesome "Der Kessel" mod for CC5. The feeling of despair when you were slowly boxed in as the Germans combined with awesome street fighting in Stalingrad and the great and diverse troop selection make it still the single best CC mod I ever played. Would love to see it done with the new AI.

PS Check out the voices and sounds on that mod as well. Real atmospheric and the best use of sound in CC so far. Shame the modder left due to some stupid internet DRAMA

(in reply to TheReal_Pak40)
Post #: 28
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/30/2010 10:13:15 PM   
D.Ilse

I say instead of another Stalingrad game, how about The Battle of the Cherkassy Pocket January to February 1944

http://www.amazon.com/HELLS-GATE-Cherkassy-January-February/dp/0965758435/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280524260&sr=8-2

Excellent book on the subject's, I have mine on the top shelf. Got it for Xmas, and I think it was one of the best gifts I got.

Virtually unknown in the English-speaking world, the Battle of Cherkassy (also known as the Korsun Pocket) still stirs controversy in both the former Soviet Union and in Germany.
It was at Cherkassy where the last German offensive strength in the Ukraine was drained away, creating the conditions for the victorious Soviet advance into Poland, Rumania, and the Balkans during the summer and autumn of 1944. Eclipsed by a war of such gigantic proportions that saw battles of over one million men or more as commonplace, the events which occurred along the banks of the Gniloy Tickich river should have faded into obscurity. However, to the 60,000 German soldiers who were encircled there at the end of January 1944, this was perhaps one of the most brutal, physically exhausting, and morally demanding battles they had ever experienced. Thirty-four percent of them would not escape.

The culmination of years of research and survivor interviews, Hell's Gate is a riveting hour by hour and day by day account of this desperate struggle analyzed on a tactical level through maps and military transcripts, as well as on a personal level, through the words of the enlisted men and officers who risked the roaring waters of the Gniloy Tickich to avoid certain death at the hands of their Soviet foe.

(in reply to Trash78)
Post #: 29
RE: What's next for CC? - 7/30/2010 11:07:44 PM   
Ivan_Zaitzev

What about Guadalcanal?
Edson´s Ridge and Ilu River can make excellent battles.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> What's next for CC? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI