Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/28/2010 10:54:20 PM   
Andrew Loveridge

Hello Everyone,

We have an update that should be official next week, with a bunch of fixes/improvements, but would like some of you to have a look at it. It is in the Members Club, under the Registered downloads link. You will need to create a separate log-in, from your forum id, if you haven't already, and register your game.
Please remember this is a beta, and any feedback would be appreciated. Also remember that we are planning on addressing the main pathing issue in the next update. Steve, Jim, and their team have put a lot of time into this update and are already very busy working on the next.

Here is the current change list for this update;

V5.60.01b – July 28, 2010

• AI

• Tweaked AI aggressiveness for case where a single BG is evaluating an attack move by itself.
    • Numerous small changes to the tactical AI to improve AI team coordination and ability to choose and navigate an attack route across the map. AI will be somewhat more active and fire more often.

• Logic

• Chance for misses and area fire to hit a soldier in the area reduced slightly.
    • Chance for a stray hit to bypass terrain protection reduced significantly.
    • Teams are now easier to spot if they are actively firing a machine gun or back blast weapon (bazooka, panzershreck).

• Bugs

• Fixed Axis briefing text misspellings on Nijmegen Bridge.
    • Fixed a voice cue for Germans speaking German where the cue was spoken in English with a British accent.

• Map

• Tweaked or fixed elevations for: Arnhem Road Bridge, Ginkel Heath, Helmond, Renkum Heath, Groesbeek, Valkenswaard, Grave Bridge.
    • Added floor element under patio canopy on building on Nijmegen Bridge map to trigger the roof graphic.
    • Fixed lighter color on South Oosterbeek rail gate RFM graphic.

Post #: 1
RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/28/2010 11:20:36 PM   
chiroho

Thanks Andrew. Great to be able to try this out.

I immediately noticed that minimap issues I have when running at 1680x1050 resolution on nearly square maps isn't addressed. Not sure if this is planned or not, I did report it previously, but I've attached a screen shot showing the problem.

The problem also happens when you preview the map from the battle screen. It's just a bunch of blurred lines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Andrew Loveridge)
Post #: 2
RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/28/2010 11:25:29 PM   
captskillet

Is this compatable with current saves?

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Post #: 3
RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/28/2010 11:27:26 PM   
Dundradal

Thanks! I'll give it a try ASAP!

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message Marathon Infinity

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 4
RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/28/2010 11:30:12 PM   
Neil N

Sounds like there are issues with your ovm and mmm map files for the map. Is it happening on all of the maps? Just checked this out and no issues on with either on my machine.

If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun.

(in reply to chiroho)
Post #: 5
RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/28/2010 11:39:34 PM   
RD Oddball

quote:

ORIGINAL: chiroho

I immediately noticed that minimap issues I have when running at 1680x1050 resolution on nearly square maps isn't addressed. Not sure if this is planned or not, I did report it previously, but I've attached a screen shot showing the problem.

The problem also happens when you preview the map from the battle screen. It's just a bunch of blurred lines.

A report was filed and it's on the radar. We'll definitely look at it for the second update. Thanks for being patient.

What was the thread you reported that in? I'd like to include the link in the bug report and I can't find it now. I just looked at the bug report and it has some screenshots attached to it but sometimes it's helpful to read what you'd wrote when you posted about it. Thanks.

(in reply to chiroho)
Post #: 6
RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 12:30:09 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

downloading now...

so I suppose the vehicle coding with regards to Battle Debrief screen and über-halftracks will be fixed in the next patch?

ChadG

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 7
RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 12:42:20 AM   
RD Oddball

Erik had asked that I post the update list as there were some additional changes made from the list that was forwarded to Andrew Loveridge.

EXE
  • Fixed a bug where strategic AI attack moves could be canceled when multiple battle groups were attacking the same map from multiple directions.
  • Tweaked strategic AI aggressiveness for case where a single battle group is evaluating an attack move by itself.
  • "Save As" from the debrief screen now makes a copy of the post-battle saved game file, rather than saving the game state shown on the Debrief screen.
  • Fixed a bug where a battle was expected on a map with no Allied battle group when 1) Axis static troops were on the map, 2) an Axis battle group was forced to retreat onto the map, and 3) the battle which caused the Axis battle group to retreat was not the last battle of the turn.
  • Fixed a bug where an incorrect circular dependency was created when the last move in a chain of moves (with each battle group waiting on the one at their destination to move) is from a map that has a higher map index than any of the other maps in the chain.
  • Numerous small changes to the tactical AI to improve AI team coordination and ability to choose and navigate an attack route across the map. AI will be somewhat more active and fire more often.
  • Chance for misses and area fire to hit a soldier in the area reduced slightly.
  • Chance for a stray hit to bypass terrain protection reduced significantly.
  • Teams are now easier to spot if they are actively firing a machine gun or back blast weapon (bazooka, panzershreck).
    CCResourceDLL.DLL:
  • Rolled the displayed version number 5.60.01b
    Other Fixes
  • Tweaked or fixed elevations for: Arnhem Road Bridge, Ginkel Heath, Helmond, Renkum Heath, Groesbeek, Valkenswaard, Grave Bridge.
  • Added floor element under patio canopy on building on Nijmegen Bridge map to trigger the roof graphic.
  • Fixed Axis briefing text mispellings on Nijmegen Bridge.
  • Fixed lighter color on South Oosterbeek rail gate RFM graphic.
  • Fixed a voice cue for Germans speaking German where the cue was spoken in english with a british accent.

< Message edited by RD_Oddball -- 7/29/2010 3:14:23 PM >

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
  • Post #: 8
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 1:13:17 AM   
    chiroho

quote:

ORIGINAL: RD_Oddball

quote:

ORIGINAL: chiroho

A report was filed and it's on the radar. We'll definitely look at it for the second update. Thanks for being patient.

What was the thread you reported that in? I'd like to include the link in the bug report and I can't find it now. I just looked at the bug report and it has some screenshots attached to it but sometimes it's helpful to read what you'd wrote when you posted about it. Thanks.

The original thread is here. Hopefully that gives you what you need.

And I work for a software company so I know the process for logging and resolving issues, and that it takes. I'm just wondering what is unusual about my settings that is causing the problem given that I've not had issues with any previous CC games that I can recall.

(in reply to RD Oddball)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 1:14:39 AM   
    chiroho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neil N

Sounds like there are issues with your ovm and mmm map files for the map. Is it happening on all of the maps? Just checked this out and no issues on with either on my machine.

No, not all of the maps. Those which are more rectangular seem to be fine. It's those which are square, like Grave for example, where I seem to have problems.

Not sure how those files could be messed up, as the install seemed to work cleanly, and the mini map displays correctly during the deploy phase. It's only once I start the battle the problem occurs.

(in reply to Neil N)
    Post #: 10
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 1:17:32 AM   
    squadleader_id

Hmm...no data file revisions in the V5.60.01b patch? So "trees with leaves on the ground" has not been addressed in this patch?

(in reply to RD Oddball)
    Post #: 11
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 3:28:51 AM   
    D.Ilse

downloaded.

(in reply to squadleader_id)
    Post #: 12
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 4:25:26 AM   
    xe5

The AI changes are a noticeable improvement. In a couple of early GC battles vs an Axis AI it has kicked butt. The AI blows bridges better and moves on the strat map more intelligently. Graebner has primed Nijmegen Br and was waiting for 1/508 to arrive. It even feels like its deploy locations are better.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
    Post #: 13
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 4:33:42 AM   
    RD Oddball

@ chiroho - Thanks for that. Will post it with the bug report. Good to hear of your background in software development. I seem to recall you mentioning that before if I'm recalling correctly. Typically when users run into problems with the narrowly shaped maps that result in a map size smaller than their display resolution that is related to their graphics drivers. But since this is isolated to the mini maps for you I didn't want to say that was it. We'll have a look at it.

SquadLeaderID - No data changes yet. The 2nd update will be more comprehensive.

@ Xe5 - Good to hear the results.

(in reply to xe5)
    Post #: 14
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 5:32:52 AM   
    7A_Woulf

quote:

ORIGINAL: xe5

The AI changes are a noticeable improvement. In a couple of early GC battles vs an Axis AI it has kicked butt. The AI blows bridges better and moves on the strat map more intelligently. Graebner has primed Nijmegen Br and was waiting for 1/508 to arrive. It even feels like its deploy locations are better.

Can only second that! Great work

(in reply to xe5)
    Post #: 15
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 8:27:43 AM   
    D.Ilse

yea I played a quick game expecting an AI walkover.

I had two le MGs in a building that got charged by 2? teams and flanked on the side by another I wasn't expecting. And the 3rd? flanking team smoked right before they entered the building(right on one of the le MGs)

I got the better of them, but lost a MG in the process and had to move in two Ersatz buggers.

(in reply to 7A_Woulf)
    Post #: 16
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/29/2010 11:15:43 PM   
    DasHoff

hopefully today i'll be able to dl and play a match with my friend; we will check out the MG situation and report back

(in reply to D.Ilse)
    Post #: 17
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/30/2010 3:57:56 AM   
    RD Oddball

Please do. Thanks!

(in reply to DasHoff)
    Post #: 18
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/30/2010 5:42:59 AM   
    DasHoff

ok, he had an mg42 in a 3 story brick house, and i had a rifle squad ambushing in a 2 story brick house. distance, around 160-200m. (the height of the building doesn't matter, does it?). By the time the mg42 had finished its 2500 rounds, it had killed 4/6 guys who had been lying in ambush. previously, those guys would've been dead within 300 or so rounds. I then replied with a 50 cal against him, which killed 4 guys before it ran out of its 350 rounds, which is what i would expect of a 50 cal machine gun. I still don't think you should be able to murder guys huddling in ambush, however (unless you had a 50 cal which could punch through the walls). haven't tried trenches yet, but blind firing on trenches has always been an easy way to kill enemy squads in CC, which is another thing which has always annoyed me. i've always thought that if you set a squad to lie down in ambush in a trench/shellhole, it should be pretty much immune to fire, unless a shell or a grenade falls into the trench, and that once the squad gets up and starts firing out of the trench they should start taking casualties. Obviously if the trench gets flanked and the enemy is firing down your trench, you should be gunned down easily

we also had an mg42 vs 30 cal mmg battle at the same distance, each of us in a 2 story stone house. this time i got the upper hand, and killed 2 guys within the first 300-400 rounds, but after that it stabilised and we both basically shot it out for a while and didnt really take any casualties. i find it odd that my squad firing out of a stone house at the enemy didn't get killed, but the guys lying down behind a brick wall were killed. i'm guessing stone is stronger than brick?

< Message edited by DasHoff -- 7/30/2010 10:40:30 AM >

(in reply to RD Oddball)
    Post #: 19
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/30/2010 8:06:04 AM   
    D.Ilse

well brick is baked clay..while stone is rock.

brick vs cement(Non-reinforced vs Military Spec) would be interesting to the see the values for.

(in reply to DasHoff)
    Post #: 20
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/30/2010 5:41:57 PM   
    xe5

The AI's IQ is not longer room temperature. I just tried to play 'hide and seek' and steal some VLs in Nijmegen using a depleted AB BG. The AI Nazi's hunted my men down like rats. I suffered a total FM defeat when 3/4 of a rifle team were surrounded and surrendered.

An old punching bag no longer. Im having to really work for my wins and sweating out some tight battles.

Post #: 21
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/30/2010 6:08:26 PM   
    berndn

My first impressions against the AI are the same like xe5. AI seems tougher. Good! Will do more tests.

(in reply to xe5)
    Post #: 22
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/30/2010 6:12:38 PM   
    RD Oddball

That's awesome to hear Mick. I'd found the same challenges when testing this update before release.

Hoff - Glad you're able to report you feel it's improved. Echoes what we were seeing during testing. We'll keep an eye on it and consider more changes. At this point we're going to need very specific examples (map, location on that map, units being shot at and their team quality, team quality/abilities of the MG42 team, elevation of the MG42 and the target, etc.) in order to polish this some more. Screenshots of locations and teams would be ideal.

(in reply to xe5)
    Post #: 23
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/30/2010 9:12:12 PM   
    Trash78

Bridges get blown really quick. Battlegroups which merge still lose their active roster. AI still loves to go on the attack whenever it's supposed to be defending. Mind you though, it does give a good fight now. Mortars aren't the deadly tools anymore they once were. MG's seem to still have considerable trouble setting up when positioned behind a low stone wall. The soldiers shoot over it but the MG simply has the "cannot see" status.

Great step forward but still far from perfect.

(in reply to RD Oddball)
    Post #: 24
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/31/2010 1:24:44 AM   
    squadleader_id

I agree about the tougher AI...great job!
    I've been playing as German defenders...and the attacking AI is tough to beat. No real flanking or fancy manouvers...but the AI units attack in groups, provide covering fire and is very aggressive in taking VLs. The AI BGs with full roster (3 platoons) is very hard to stop with a partial BG...AI partial BGs don't perform that well though...usually sending squads piecemeal.
    I haven't had this much fun playing vs the attacking AI without vetmods!
    I've been playing an Ops with mostly infantry vs infantry battles though...so I haven't really seen much vehicle AI.

(in reply to xe5)
    Post #: 25
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/31/2010 2:06:29 AM   
    Tejszd

Vehicle pathing they said would be in patch 2, so I wouldn't expect much if any change....

Post #: 26
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/31/2010 2:41:01 AM   
    Renato

Hi All,

Glad to see the AI is tougher.

What difficulty do you play Operations and Campaign at?

Post #: 27
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/31/2010 3:12:32 AM   
    xe5

Im always outnumbered when I employ an armor BG. Im simultaneously fighting against the enemy and my own vehicles. The AI seems to have no difficulty driving its panzers like a pro. Why not just let an allied AI drive/fight the friendly vehicles as well, and let the player tag along in command of the infantry?

@Renato - Player Elite: AI recruit; 'Force Morale' and 'Take All Victory Locations/Two Minute Warning' options on; 15 minute game timer

< Message edited by xe5 -- 7/31/2010 3:15:49 AM >

(in reply to Renato)
    Post #: 28
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/31/2010 3:19:22 AM   
    squadleader_id

quote:

ORIGINAL: Renato

Hi All,

Glad to see the AI is tougher.

What difficulty do you play Operations and Campaign at?

Here's my settings:

You might want to experiment with "Never Act On Initiative" for the AI...in CC5 this tends make the attacking AI less active.
    When playing as the attacker...give the AI the "Never Act On Initiative" advantage.
    In CC5 sometimes giving the AI "Always See The Enemy" works great.

(in reply to Renato)
    Post #: 29
    RE: Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta - 7/31/2010 3:45:48 AM   
    Renato

@ xe5 and squadleader

You play hard. My compliments!

LSA seems more difficult with respect to WaR and TLD.

Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Last Stand Arnhem v5.60.01b Public Beta Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI