Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Lost Fleet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The Lost Fleet Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Lost Fleet - 7/31/2010 10:00:23 PM   
rhondabrwn

Just finished reading the entire "Lost Fleet" series by Jack Campbell and was fascinated by the space battles depicted. It was the most realistic and believable system that I have ever encountered since it accounts for the physics of starship combat when moving at 30,000 Kilometers a second including distortion of visual and sensor data of objects moving at such incredible speeds. As I was reading it, I just couldn't get the idea out of my head that this would make one heck of a space battle simulation game.

I would view it as something like "Total War in Space" with strategic movement of fleets between star systems using jump drives or the HyperNet which then drops into a tactical display within the system. Sounds a lot like the "Total War" series in concept doesn't it?

Anyone else read the series and share this vision?

If you haven't read the series and are a sci-fi buff, then I highly recommend it.

If you are game designer... think about this for a new product!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Post #: 1
RE: The Lost Fleet - 7/31/2010 10:02:34 PM   
joeblack1862

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Just finished reading the entire "Lost Fleet" series by Jack Campbell and was fascinated by the space battles depicted. It was the most realistic and believable system that I have ever encountered since it accounts for the physics of starship combat when moving at 30,000 Kilometers a second including distortion of visual and sensor data of objects moving at such incredible speeds. As I was reading it, I just couldn't get the idea out of my head that this would make one heck of a space battle simulation game.

I would view it as something like "Total War in Space" with strategic movement of fleets between star systems using jump drives or the HyperNet which then drops into a tactical display within the system. Sounds a lot like the "Total War" series in concept doesn't it?

Anyone else read the series and share this vision?

If you haven't read the series and are a sci-fi buff, then I highly recommend it.

If you are game designer... think about this for a new product!

Are these available via Kindle?

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 2
RE: The Lost Fleet - 7/31/2010 10:05:06 PM   
joeblack1862

I was a bit lazy there....

Just checked and the answer is... not for the UK, damn.

(in reply to joeblack1862)
Post #: 3
RE: The Lost Fleet - 7/31/2010 10:11:56 PM   
rhondabrwn

Yea, I read them on Kindle. I probably wouldn't have bought the series in paperback as I have way too many books piled up everywhere in my bedroom. Hah... and now I have books piling up on my Kindle screen

Seriously, getting a Kindle has "rekindled" my love of pleasure reading.. I carry it around with me and pop it open at every free moment. Somehow it is so much easier to read on it with my aging eyes... less glare... easy to read type... variable type size... and it always remembers where I left off when I closed it. And now they have a Kindle 3 for $139 available next month.

It makes a difference if you are in the UK for a Kindle download? Wow... I had no idea there were geographical limitations on downloads.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Post #: 4
RE: The Lost Fleet - 7/31/2010 10:24:16 PM   
joeblack1862

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Yea, I read them on Kindle. I probably wouldn't have bought the series in paperback as I have way too many books piled up everywhere in my bedroom. Hah... and now I have books piling up on my Kindle screen

Seriously, getting a Kindle has "rekindled" my love of pleasure reading.. I carry it around with me and pop it open at every free moment. Somehow it is so much easier to read on it with my aging eyes... less glare... easy to read type... variable type size... and it always remembers where I left off when I closed it. And now they have a Kindle 3 for $139 available next month.

It makes a difference if you are in the UK for a Kindle download? Wow... I had no idea there were geographical limitations on downloads.

I love the Kindle as well but I do get seriously frustrated by the books I can't buy here in the UK. I often spot a book I like the look of (this happens most of all in Sci Fi section) and it will tell me not available (even a large number of the free books are only available in the US).

I am going to stick with it until my next upgrade, but if this continues then I'll look at alternatives. I like the look of the iPAD, but not the price.... although I hear books are cheaper (don't know the availability) and ofcourse you get color/colour .

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 5
RE: The Lost Fleet - 7/31/2010 10:40:19 PM   
nelmsm1

I'm reading the series right now and loving it. I've got to agree with the Kindle re-energizing my reading habit. I think you've got a point about the books making a good space game. If you are in the UK and can't get a book available in the US then just set yourself up an account with a US address. When I went to look for the first Flashman book it was only available in the UK so I set up a second account using the address of the Imperial War Museum and was able to buy it. You'll have to download it to the computer and then upload to the Kindle but it can be done.

Post #: 6
RE: The Lost Fleet - 7/31/2010 11:24:33 PM   
itchy01ca

Sins of a solar empire. It's what you're looking for :P 

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 7
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/1/2010 2:47:30 AM   
Brigz

Thanks rhonda....just downloaded the first volume for my nook. And you are right, these ereaders have revitalized the reading experience. Still like "real" books but having a nook or kindle just makes it much more versitile. And it's so easy getting books. It took just a few minutes to log on and download the book. They aren't kidding when they say "read instantly".

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 8
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/2/2010 2:14:05 AM   
jomni

So will this finally turn into a space simulation game with no sound effects?

Hey cool! I can buy it online from my ususal ebook store (Kobo).

< Message edited by jomni -- 8/2/2010 2:16:06 AM >

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 9
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/2/2010 4:00:56 AM   
RyanCrierie

So another person has discovered the Lost Fleet Series!

I discovered it back in 2006/07; when only about one or two books had been published; liked it, and followed it; waiting intently for each new book to be published. Oh the agony of waiting!

As I summarized the series:

"Has a very strong feel similar to the “rag-tag fleet” of both versions of Battlestar Galactica. Ships have FTL, but all sensors are speed of light. Weapons are “magi-tech”, except for kinetic kill projectiles for planetary bombardment; and while ships have to fly a semi realistic trajectory through a solar system, they have much lower reaction masses than known systems."

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 10
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/2/2010 4:46:32 AM   
David Heath

Hi

I had a Kindle but it was to small for my hands and I kept hitting the advance page when I didn't want to. I have since sold my Kindle and got an iPad and I in love with it. I get the best of both word with my Kindle app, iBook and many other book apps. I must admit I spend most of my time reading Star Wars books but this sounds like a book I going to need to look into.

David

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 11
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/2/2010 12:25:23 PM   
ezzler

It memorises your page eh?
I have something that does a similar job on my analogue information hand-held portal.
Its called a bookmark.
Post #: 12
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/2/2010 1:21:25 PM   
Hertston

Another potential reader here.. how does this series compare with David Weber's Honor Harrington books, if anyone has read both?

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 13
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/2/2010 6:36:07 PM   
rickier65

rhonda,

thanks for the recommendation. I mentioned to my wife, and she's gone in and ordered it from the Library (yeah the old fashioned format). We're always interested in new Sci-Fi.

Oh, and I just ran into the term 'Far Dareis Mai ' in my reading - I had thought it might be something from the Navajo culture, but now I see I was mistaken.

thanks
rick

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 14
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/2/2010 6:58:46 PM   
RedArgo

I picked up Dauntless for my e-reader. I had just finished Mission of Honor by David Weber and was looking for some new sci-fi. So far it seems good. Much shorter than the Honor Harrington books.

Bill

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 15
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/2/2010 10:39:21 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Another potential reader here.. how does this series compare with David Weber's Honor Harrington books, if anyone has read both?

Hi Hertston,

I have a complete collection of both series.... but in old fashioned books. Can't quite make the jump to eReaders yet.

To answer your question, I'd say both are equally well written and entertaining. Both take place in well fleshed out universes with plenty of action and believable characters.
Overall the tech base is lower in "Black Jack's" universe than in Steadholder/Duchess Harrington's. For example, instead of flashing thru a solar system in hours at 100,000 gravities it takes a few days at at maybe 1000. Things like that...........

I will say that if you enjoy Honor Harrington you'll most likely enjoy the Lost Fleet series as well.
Happy reading.......

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 16
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/3/2010 12:13:24 AM   
Joram

I read the first two and then gave up because it was obvious they would be lost forever. The first one was interesting but it went way downhill in the second one. I didn't think it felt that realistic to be honest though not being a navy man, it's subjective. Weber and Drake are more entertaining though I couldn't speak to the realism though it feels pretty real while you're reading it.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 17
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/3/2010 6:08:05 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

I read the first two and then gave up because it was obvious they would be lost forever. The first one was interesting but it went way downhill in the second one. I didn't think it felt that realistic to be honest though not being a navy man, it's subjective. Weber and Drake are more entertaining though I couldn't speak to the realism though it feels pretty real while you're reading it.

No, they aren't lost forever and it has a happy ending. You might want to give the series another shot as I never got tired of it or felt that the series was being dragged out to pad sales (like Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series started dragging and not getting anywhere).

Someone mentioned "Sins of a Solar Empire" - the difference between this sim and "The Lost Fleet" is what plagues the battles in most Space Sims... ships have to slow to a crawl so that they can sit there and shoot missiles and particle beams at each other. Given such an environment, combat has to be mutually accepted or one side should be able to disengage at will and refuse combat with a superior enemy force. In the "Lost Fleet" universe ships are moving at incredible speeds and spread over such a large area that commands can take 5 minutes to reach the units most distant from the fleet flagship. If there is anything a bit fantastic, it is probably the inertia dampers that allow crews to survive incredible levels of deceleration and maneuver as they "come about" for another pass. Flipping a ship and using main thrusters to reduce speed from 30,000 kilometers a second to reverse direction or make a turn within a few minutes is a bit incredible.

If I was designing a game, I'd probably slow things down quite a bit, but still have a battle system that featured realistic moving combat with an option to view a firing run that took a split second in real time in super slow motion so you could appreciate the action. Alternatively, you would do what "Black Jack" Geary does, consult your fleet display for a readout of hits and damage received and inflicted and then issue your fleet orders for the next fleet maneuver. That reminds me a bit of a WiTP battle display that you can watch play out or hit ESC and just jump to the "bottom line" of results.

"The Lost Fleet" has "Fast Utility" ships (which are too slow and constantly under threat) that can turn raw materials into power units, missiles, and other armaments to keep the fleet supplied. Finding sources of raw materials in the planetary system encountered is one of the constant challenges "the lost fleet" faces in the series (with unique methods utilized to find resources). Ship damage can also be repaired following a battle (to some extent... some ships do have to be scuttled when damaged past a certain point). At the strategic level, the game could include the introduction of reinforcements fresh from the shipyards, but with inexperienced crews. During the "lost fleet's" epic journey they destroy so many enemy ships that they begin to encounter "green" crews facing them. The game wouldn't have a time scale for an economic sub-system of colonization, new ship design, and so on...it would play out in a few hours. Perhaps, the starting situation could be varied, of course, with players building their starting fleets on a point system that could include design of new classes of warships.

I suppose we could consider this an "Operational Level" space combat battle sim with strategic movement to tie it all together.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 18
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/3/2010 6:11:29 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

rhonda,

thanks for the recommendation. I mentioned to my wife, and she's gone in and ordered it from the Library (yeah the old fashioned format). We're always interested in new Sci-Fi.

Oh, and I just ran into the term 'Far Dareis Mai ' in my reading - I had thought it might be something from the Navajo culture, but now I see I was mistaken.

thanks
rick

Nope, it's from "Wheel of Time" (translate as "maidens of the spear").

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 19
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/3/2010 6:16:22 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi

I had a Kindle but it was to small for my hands and I kept hitting the advance page when I didn't want to. I have since sold my Kindle and got an iPad and I in love with it. I get the best of both word with my Kindle app, iBook and many other book apps. I must admit I spend most of my time reading Star Wars books but this sounds like a book I going to need to look into.

David

How well can you read an iPad outside in bright sunlight though? I've got the Amazon free Kindle Reader software on my laptop and desktop PC's but the laptop is useless outside (at least for me). I tried taking the desktop to bed with me, but fell asleep, rolled over and crushed the monitor

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 20
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/4/2010 4:14:59 PM   
sysrkm

Hi Rhonda,

Hadn't heard from you in a while and it's been longer since we exchanged messages here.

I've been looking for something new to read and I think I just found it. Having read most of the Man Kzin series edited by Niven (and Pournelle hasn't played in that universe for a LONG time) and the Warworld universe never really took off, at least I can't find any evidence it has, this 'Lost Fleet' series sounds great.

As for space sims, I prefer RTS or Turn based WEGO, (What Star Fleet Command and Empires at War SHOULD have been) I liked Homeworld and later, Cataclysm. What killed the game series for me is they took fuel management out of the equation and that's how I beat most of my opponents.

If you have Win7 and have the compatibility mode option, try loading it up. HW, Cataclysm and HW2 are all great space sims. But I'm looking for the next big NEW thing.

Go carefully,

Rob

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 21
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/8/2010 4:33:50 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: sysrkm

Hi Rhonda,

Hadn't heard from you in a while and it's been longer since we exchanged messages here.

I've been looking for something new to read and I think I just found it. Having read most of the Man Kzin series edited by Niven (and Pournelle hasn't played in that universe for a LONG time) and the Warworld universe never really took off, at least I can't find any evidence it has, this 'Lost Fleet' series sounds great.

As for space sims, I prefer RTS or Turn based WEGO, (What Star Fleet Command and Empires at War SHOULD have been) I liked Homeworld and later, Cataclysm. What killed the game series for me is they took fuel management out of the equation and that's how I beat most of my opponents.

If you have Win7 and have the compatibility mode option, try loading it up. HW, Cataclysm and HW2 are all great space sims. But I'm looking for the next big NEW thing.

Go carefully,

Rob

Hi Rob

I got Homeworld and Cataclysm running awhile back. The problem I had with the series was the nature of the "perfect solution" approach where the guidebook answers were always "build this and this and use this strategy to get past scenario "x". I have this fundamental problem about any game that seems to have a scripted path to victory that the player has to discover to win. If the Homeworld system had a "build your own battle" capability, it would have been more appealing to me (and would have allowed creating space battles that were closer to my vision for a "lost fleet" game).

Having a rainy day in Pinon as the monsoon rains continue to hit us in earnest. I made a run to Flagstaff through the mud last Sunday to bring back one of our teachers who had come back from Wisconsin and had no transportation. The trip there and back took about 11 hours and close to two tanks of gas to finally find a way back to Pinon through washed out roads and culverts and just near impassable mud and sand. It was quite an experience but my new Ford Escape proved to be a very capable mud SUV. It was still nerve wracking to drive that length of time while constantly being on the edge of spinning into a ditch. Passed many a car or truck stranded in the muck but you can't stop to even try to help as you'll never get going again.

School is supposed to start on Monday, but I suspect we'll begin the year with a Mud Day unless we get a sunny day tomorrow (which isn't the forecast).

I still just love it out here though

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 22
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/14/2010 2:02:34 AM   
ilovestrategy

Wow Rhonda, that's an adventure! 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 23
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/14/2010 7:19:20 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Wow Rhonda, that's an adventure! 

Just part of living out here in the high desert. It's the school bus drivers who have to brave the roads in all kinds of conditions from day to day and they are masterful drivers. The 4X4 school buses the district purchased have real issues with handling mud (tends to burn out drive shafts and transmissions). Unlike snow, in mud you have to keep those tires spinning at all costs or you're stuck and that's the equivalent of spinning your tires at full throttle for an hour or more when dug into ice. Often you'll end up driving down the road almost sidewise. It's an experience, let me tell you! Snow doesn't scare me in the slightest, but mud is a different story.

I really try to avoid drives in the mud, but if you get out to Flagstaff and then a storm hits in the afternoon, it becomes difficult to get home. Thunderstorms are so spotty out here that there is no telling when an area gets hit. During this last trip, it was just a few sprinkles in Flagstaff, but massive downpours over central Navajo county with even main roads getting washed out or covered in mud after a flash flood.

Exciting stuff.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 24
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/14/2010 2:15:13 PM   
Josh

Well I repeat after Ilovestrategy: what an adventure. 11 hours of driving, sideways in the muck, cars stuck in ditches... you rock girl.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 25
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/16/2010 12:40:33 PM   
Quellist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Very similar feeling. Imho the only major difference in style is that Weber uses Harrington herself as a deus ex machina (deus ex Harrington?) while Cambell dumbs down the universe around his protagonist to make him superior. It makes Black Jack somewhat more likable while his surroundings is slightly more annoying.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 26
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/16/2010 4:11:07 PM   
RedArgo

I just finished the first Lost Fleet book and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to download the second one right now. I also really like the Honor Harrington books.

A couple differences between this and Honor Harrington are the length of the books, Weber's are much longer, and, at least so far, the Lost Fleet is always centered on Geary, where Weber jumps around to lots of different characters. In the latest Harrington book, she is barely the main character.

Bill

(in reply to Quellist)
Post #: 27
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/17/2010 3:00:40 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedArgo

I just finished the first Lost Fleet book and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to download the second one right now. I also really like the Honor Harrington books.

A couple differences between this and Honor Harrington are the length of the books, Weber's are much longer, and, at least so far, the Lost Fleet is always centered on Geary, where Weber jumps around to lots of different characters. In the latest Harrington book, she is barely the main character.

Bill

I just now started the first Honor book. I'm literally on the first chapter!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 28
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/17/2010 3:22:45 AM   
RyanCrierie

Actually, I would argue that the Lost Fleet Series is far superior to the Honor Harrington universe.

The only reason John Geary is such a great genius is that he had the sheer luck to survive through a century of cold sleep while both sides battered each other to death in a unwinnable war.

At first, the level of quality of the men involved was pretty good; but soon the pressures of war forced a lowering of standards; and then multiply that by a few decades of non stop war; and people get just enough training to be useful before they're put out onto the battlefield.

Geary on the other hand was trained in the pre-war navy, when they had enough time to take their time with each officer and train them to deal with the complex realities of having to handle warships moving at point one light, and also time lag imposed by speed of light communications and sensors.

So when he was revived in the 'future', he had knowledge of a way of war that was all but lost by the relentless lowering of standards to meet cadre requirements for the next group of warships commissioning to replace battle losses.

As a bonus, there are no damned treecats.

< Message edited by RyanCrierie -- 8/17/2010 3:24:32 AM >

(in reply to Quellist)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The Lost Fleet Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI