Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Exploring the Battle Generator etc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Opponents Wanted >> Exploring the Battle Generator etc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exploring the Battle Generator etc - 12/9/2008 6:05:35 AM   
spellir74

I've played all stock scenarios; some twice.

I'd like to use the maps from unkown/different angles (and try new combat-group mixes). And I like exploring the Battle Generator qualities.

What we need to do is take a look at a random generated scenario first _and decide if we like the mix and field._ This is no different than if we played a stock scenario that we already had experience with. If we don't like it, we generate another or switch sides, map, add/subtract points or units (from one side), etc.

RGB catagories:-

-nation
-time
-dollar points (combat group size)
-force type (?: tank heavy; air supp; ATG; etc)
-attack/defend
(-if defend, mines)
-map
-positions [corners]
-reserves?
-etc

...We could try one player defending and one attacking (though I've always liked both players attacking); with or without reserves coming (just to see what that is like); etc.

I'm very good at this game. See if you can beat me...

"You've tried the rest, now try the best"... [ka-thlump, kluh-ching (the gauntlet landing)]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by spellir74 -- 12/9/2008 7:08:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Exploring the Battle Generator etc - 12/9/2008 7:37:14 AM   
Stridor

Spellir,

It is really good to see that some people are still getting enjoyment out of the RBG.

I made it with a whole heap of more complex stuff beneath the surface for modders that might enjoy taking their RBG battles that extra step further.

Maybe one day you can check it out.

Thanks for making my day.

Regards

S.

(in reply to spellir74)
Post #: 2
RE: Exploring the Battle Generator etc - 12/9/2008 9:21:31 AM   
spellir74

Hey Stridor.

I didn't know that that was another of your works.

Yeah, it is very cool.

And it is sumthin' just on the surface. Eg picking the kind of battle-- fighting out of an encirclement or pincer set up, etc; or elites vs green --though still with otherwise 'equal' dollar-force size (ie a lotta greens vs a few elites); etc. This has endless fascinating variablity. (Though most would want to try those trickier engagements vs the AI, including me! lol But maybe someday I'll try a go with a fascinating trickier set up vs a human.)

As far as under the surface, I haven't checked. I'm a simple creature LOL. How does one get to 'under the surface' features?

-------------
I was going to ask a question somewhere here today but then decided not to, being as it is a complexity question that would've been ignored. But since I have a/the creator of the RBG, I'll ask...

When I generate Cas Blau battles (summer-autumn 42), I get few Russian heavy tanks (but lotsa lighter). Was that purposely done, so as to mirror the reality in the summer of '42? (After the Kharkov disastor.) In other words, does the RBG know how to control force mix in unseen, unset-by-user ways for each period of the real war? Or were my Cas Blau RBG force-mixes just coincidence?

(That's to anybody; not just Stridor.)

------------
Thanks for your work Stridor.

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 3
RE: Exploring the Battle Generator etc - 12/9/2008 10:56:34 AM   
Stridor

quote:

ORIGINAL: spellir74

Hey Stridor.

I didn't know that that was another of your works.

Yep, I did the scenario editor, template editor, campaign editor, random battle generator, random campaign generator, HQ Helper and of course the map maker ...

quote:

Yeah, it is very cool.

Thanks

quote:

As far as under the surface, I haven't checked. I'm a simple creature LOL. How does one get to 'under the surface' features?

You need to start looking inside the Data directory (and know something about editing xmls)

Specifically

Data/Battles ... controls all the battle plans
Data/Presets ... controls all the force presets
Data/Setups ... controls all the setup placements

You can edit the xml files in notepad if you like. There are instructions for working with all these files in the documentation folder (game manual pdfs).

quote:

-------------
I was going to ask a question somewhere here today but then decided not to, being as it is a complexity question that would've been ignored. But since I have a/the creator of the RBG, I'll ask...

When I generate Cas Blau battles (summer-autumn 42), I get few Russian heavy tanks (but lotsa lighter). Was that purposely done, so as to mirror the reality in the summer of '42? (After the Kharkov disastor.) In other words, does the RBG know how to control force mix in unseen, unset-by-user ways for each period of the real war? Or were my Cas Blau RBG force-mixes just coincidence?

(That's to anybody; not just Stridor.)

------------
Thanks for your work Stridor.

The way the RBG picks units is really complex.

At the heart of the system is a lot of historical work done by Erik R, who calculated the normal distribution values for each unit in the game. These values are found in the xml defines for each unit (and you are welcome to change them if you like).

So for a faceless generic "default" battle for a given time period you should get pretty accurate representation of unit mixes.

However other factors like points spreads, experience, force strength, etc etc also contribute to the final distribution.

A little known fact is that the RBG spits out a probability of unit appearing table after the generation of each battle. You can see the results by loading up the RBG_ZD.txt file into notepad (this is found in the root PCK dir).

However you can define your own battle plans with specific operations (eg Cas Blau) in mind for even more accurate unit dispositions if you like I like to think of the RBG as a scenario designer in a box! By default it is set up to produce very generic battles. With some knowledge of the xmls you can effectively make it produce high quality and specific actions with as much randomness as you prefer.

Regards

S.

< Message edited by Stridor -- 12/9/2008 10:57:04 AM >

(in reply to spellir74)
Post #: 4
RE: Exploring the Battle Generator etc - 8/4/2010 3:35:34 PM   
junk2drive

Here is the current view. I'm going to make a doc for people to use when setting up a game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Opponents Wanted >> Exploring the Battle Generator etc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI