Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A worthy opponent...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> A worthy opponent... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 1:49:20 AM   
aprezto

Rather than a motto of name and shame of those that don't follow through on a game, because they lost a carrier or some such. I figured the other approach is worthwhile.

List the opponents you think ARE worthy of the investment of a PBEM game.

Hopefully this creates a complete enough list that it can be used to check the compatibility of your next opponent. As you list someone, I will edit this post and add them alphabetically.

The list:

1eyedjacks
Admiral Dadman
AndyMac
Aprezto
Bigred
Bourner
Bradford
Canoerebel
Capt
Cap_and_Gown
CapMandrake
CarnageINC
Chickenboy
Cuttlefish
FeurerKrieg
hart wig.morrow
Herbie/1275psi
John III
jomni
jwilkerson
ike99
Miller
Nemo121
PzB
Q-Ball
mc3744
nikerdemus
n01487477
OSO
Panzerjager Hjortlund
PresterJohn
Ramjet
Rgijn
Shark7
Sierra Juliet
Speedy
Tocaff
Tone
Tom Greco
USSHenrico
Vettim
Witpqs
Yubari
Zeta16

< Message edited by aprezto -- 8/23/2010 9:17:36 PM >

Image courtesy of Divepac
Post #: 1
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 2:08:07 AM   
Nomad

aprezto
PzB

Thats a start.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 2
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 2:18:25 AM   
witpqs

Adding:

cap_and_gown

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 3
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 2:38:44 AM   
Canoerebel

I can nominate the following:

John III
Miller
Q-Ball

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 2:43:39 AM   
DivePac88

I will nominate these worthy Guys;

aprezto (Wobbly)
Ramjet
Shark7
Tone

< Message edited by DivePac88 -- 8/9/2010 2:57:51 AM >

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 2:45:40 AM   
Zigurat666

Actually I find that there are more "reliable" opponents than "non-reliable" ones. I think I have played 7 or 8 PBEM's and all but one continued until it was mutually decided to end. When I am looking for an opponent I find it a better indicator to look up the members posts and you can get a good indication of how this person will play out. Composing a list such as this in my opinion can become discriminatory and detrimental to finding an opponent and the continued interest in the game.Anyways it would be my guess that anyone appearing on this list as a good player and reliable to go the distance will most likely be in a PBEM already.
Just my 2 cents

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 6
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 2:33:39 PM   
Yakface

Tom Greco
yubari

In games with these two that have reached mid 42 (have played Tom multiple times). Both are consistent with turns and yubari has previous long running AAR in WITP

< Message edited by Yakface -- 8/9/2010 2:34:04 PM >

(in reply to Zigurat666)
Post #: 7
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 3:22:32 PM   
Q-Ball

Cuttlefish fo sho

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 8
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 10:01:03 PM   
Kwik E Mart

the anti-Megan's list of AE....love it!

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 9
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 10:47:07 PM   
John 3rd

Canoerebel must be placed on that list.

Am not so sure I belong there currently! 

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 10
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/9/2010 10:49:49 PM   
eloso

I would add:

FeurerKrieg

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 11
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/10/2010 12:44:20 AM   
Canoerebel

I haven't played the following gents, but they have established their bonafides through years (sometimes MANY years) of faithful play and AAR posting. All of these guys always go deep into games and have been faithful to their opponents:

Bradfordkay
Admiral Dadman
Speedy
Chickenboy
Vettim
CapMandrake

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 12
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/10/2010 12:49:32 AM   
Ramjet

Thanks DivePac88. I appriciate that. Although we weren't able to finish I really enjoyed our game.

To mention another, I have been playing against Zeta16 for some time now, and we typically go deep into a game, but right now it is September 1945 and we are still going. I am Japan and am totally defeated, but continue to put up a fight. The Allies should get the opportunity to use all those neat weapons and beat up on Japan, after all he has suffered numerous surface defeats during the game but didn't quit. Each time I won a battle, it seemed to only strengthen his resolve. Now I am getting creamed!!

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 13
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/10/2010 7:34:19 AM   
FeurerKrieg

OSO!

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Ramjet)
Post #: 14
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/10/2010 9:39:57 AM   
n01487477

[edit..] removed Name

I've never been really comfortable with making a pecking order - but I posted anyway.

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 8/11/2010 10:26:21 AM >

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 15
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/10/2010 11:23:40 AM   
bbbf

Herbie/1275psi
mc3744

< Message edited by bbbf -- 8/10/2010 11:26:21 AM >

Robert Lee

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 16
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/11/2010 1:35:09 AM   
indy58

Hey, What about the ones just now playing AE with a Human Opponent (PBEM)? I am playing my first PBEM oponent currently and would one day like to play the names listed above. Looks like if you are not on this list then you are not worthy to play. I think If you are active in the forums (posting or following along) you will know most of the names listed above already. I think this is a bad idea but just my opinion..

indy58

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 17
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/11/2010 2:08:30 AM   
vonTirpitz

I would have to agree with you.

IMHO, Starting "lists" with the express purpose of segregation frequently does more harm than good.

I'll leave it at that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: indy58

Hey, What about the ones just now playing AE with a Human Opponent (PBEM)? I am playing my first PBEM oponent currently and would one day like to play the names listed above. Looks like if you are not on this list then you are not worthy to play. I think If you are active in the forums (posting or following along) you will know most of the names listed above already. I think this is a bad idea but just my opinion..

indy58

(in reply to indy58)
Post #: 18
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/11/2010 2:32:28 AM   
aprezto

I don't think this list is a work of law.

It is also specifically stated to exentuate the positive of being listed not implicate the negative of being absent.

You are still a sentient being able to make up your own mind. If you wish to play someone in PBEM that is not on this list I would say: 'go for it'.

However, if you happen to have an offer from an opponent and their name is on this list, you will know you have someone who has met the test of PBEM in the past and has been vouched for by another. IMHO that adds value.

(in reply to vonTirpitz)
Post #: 19
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/11/2010 3:52:55 AM   
Chickenboy

Well put, aprezto. I'm generally not a popularity list sort of guy, but need to vouch for some that aren't so active on the boards that are outstanding and loyal PBEM'ers.

USSHenrico has been a consistent and reliable opponent since the inception of our PBEM. Very solid.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 20
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/11/2010 9:41:57 AM   
Nemo121

Segregative lists are always a bad idea. Particularly when the list creator allows personal animus to influence list creation.

In this instance every name mentioned by contributors, bar one, has been added to the list. The missing name is someone the thread originator got annoyed with about a week ago. So it seems that apart from the publicly quoted criteria of being nominated by an opponent you also are screened by aprezto's personal bias and whom he likes and dislikes.

Since the inability to actually be objective is so common this particular failing is common to such lists. Lists with this failing can never be representative and thus are worthless IMO. To have even minimal value these sorts of lists would have to be completely objective and they clearly are not.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/11/2010 9:03:00 PM   
aprezto

Nemo. Any paranoia? I've just missed your name - nothing sinister. Adding it now - althought by the sounds of it, you don't actually want to be on it anyway.

< Message edited by aprezto -- 8/11/2010 9:05:13 PM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 22
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/12/2010 6:55:39 AM   
scott64

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 23
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/12/2010 12:13:40 PM   
Nemo121

Aprezto's, even still it is a useful example of the even subconscious biases which make these sorts of lists less than useful.

As to being on the list: I'm neutral. Listing my name or anyone else's is neither help nor hindrance since such lists are, by their nature segregative popularity polls riven with bias which don't have validity beyond their face validity.

If a committee were to be formed which checked pbem dates reached and formed a list which was stickied with a view to running for months and years and in which multiple members and a transparent protocol insured against biases of individual members holding sway then I think we'd be on to something worthwhile even though still, necessarily less than complete. This current incarnation though is not very useful IMO.

With that said, and unbidden, I would suggest AndyMac, n01487477, hart wig.morrow, jwilkerson, nikademus and 1eyedjacks. Each of them more than meets the criteria you have established above. If this is going to be done it might as well be done as properly as possible.

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 24
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/12/2010 3:39:00 PM   
Chickenboy

Whew. I'm relieved that you've shown us how to do this list properly, Nemo121. For a minute there, I thought our praise for excellent and upstanding opponents was being improperly displayed. Now that it has your approval and repeated input into the process, I can rest assured.

That being said, I can tell you that listing of my PBEM partner herein (USSHenrico) was based not upon popularity or 'riven with bias', but a culmination of many other factors. This includes subjective assessments of his communication style, adaptability to impediments to gameplay (adoption of HRs as necessary), acceptance of interruptions in the game cycle, willingness to teach and willingness to learn. My listing is also based on a culmination of objective factors, such as turn 'turn around time', frequency of interruptions of gameplay, duration of current game (very important track record) and adherence to previous agreements (e.g., HR fighter sweep altitudes).

I am currently playing three PBEMs, yet I listed only one opponent on this list. That doesn't mean that my other partners are wanting, it means that USSHenrico is the one that I would put into this 'great' category at this time based upon the factors I cite above.

Accepting a PBEM opponent is like accepting a long-term relationship. You're going to be with this person for a long time based upon a common bond. Having some feedback from others ahead of time is a great way to increase the chance that your partner is a quality one.

How refreshing that Azpresto / Wobbly is looking at this from the positive point of view.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 25
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/12/2010 7:27:08 PM   
AW1Steve

Might I suggest , that rather than an endless lovefest of nominations, newbies might do what practiced and responsible participants have done for some time? Ask for referrences when you post an "opponents wanted?" Anyone who is unwilling to provide refrences to his skill,character and honesty is either a total newbie (having never played a PBEM) or someone that you might want to avoid. You might ask , how many PBEMs they've played, who with and general character information. ASK, Then Verify, to misquote a president of the 1980's. In other words, take some responsibility upon yourself (not to mention do a little work ) and find out. Don't expect every other member of forum to do YOUR work for you. Or to broadcast everyones greatness, or faults. USE that PM button. Get off your virtual butt and show that YOU are worthy of playing against.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 26
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/12/2010 9:59:25 PM   
Nemo121

Chickenboy,

Well feel free to misrepresent things if you wish. I had thought that one of the reasons for a forum was to gather feedback. It seems however, here, that there is only interest in getting feedback one already agrees with and then misrepresenting the rest through the distorting prism of personal animus.

I offered my input in the same way others have offered theirs ( eg AW1STEVE etc ).. You can feel free to ignore it if you wish -that's fine - but to actively misrepresent it is unnecessary.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 27
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/12/2010 10:05:42 PM   
jhdeerslayer

Jomni - Never seen such a reliable and fast turn around in all my years of PBEM of whatever game! We were well matched. :-)

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 28
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/13/2010 1:23:57 AM   
bigred

Probably the best advice is below. Ask your future opponent for a few referrences.
Not all your good players make posts. All the players on AARs are our Hollywood players. The best player you may face will finish you off quick and not have a very long AAR.
quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Ask for referrences when you post an "opponents wanted?" Anyone who is unwilling to provide refrences to his skill,character and honesty is either a total newbie (having never played a PBEM) or someone that you might want to avoid. You might ask , how many PBEMs they've played, who with and general character information. ASK, Then Verify, to misquote a president of the 1980's.

IMHO AARs are good for our collective ego as now most of us are too old to fight w/ our bodies so we fight w/ our minds. Keeps the mind and sword sharp as we study our future opponents.

I did recieve a comment about my partner from OSO once. After my partner stopped making turns.

< Message edited by bigred -- 8/15/2010 8:32:52 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29
RE: A worthy opponent... - 8/13/2010 1:33:22 AM   
bigred

FYI, I made some good friends on UV forum. I figure most of them will one day gravitate to AE.
Bourner
IKE99-who may be permanently banded from the forum.
RGIJN and
TOCAFF, who took my pbem virginity. He only plays newbies...

< Message edited by bigred -- 8/13/2010 1:39:04 AM >

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> A worthy opponent... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI