Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

VCR fixed, Mr Proudfoot thank you

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> VCR fixed, Mr Proudfoot thank you Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VCR fixed, Mr Proudfoot thank you - 12/4/2000 11:16:00 AM   
Pack Rat

This is a bit premature because I don't see the patch up and the way I read it you'll fix some more things. I can't tell you how hard it is not knowing what the hell hit your forces in a pbem game with a VCR that works partly if at all. The thoughts that your fixing it will increase the number of people who will start playing again or play for the first time I hope is a just reward for your work. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't say thank you, so thank you Tom and I hope you'll get the time to enjoy the fruits of your own labor. ------------------ Your mine is a terrible thing to lose. Pack Rat

PR
Post #: 1
- 12/4/2000 12:28:00 PM   
Tom Proudfoot

I am pretty sure it is fixed now. There was a dumb bug causing the 20-meg replay file to not actually get any larger than 2 megs, but that was really a "treat the symptom and not the cause" solution in any case. What I did this time is use all the (extremely!) helpful clues provided by people on the message board to track down why the files were so big in the first place. As a couple people reported, even just scrolling the map around was adding (unneeded) information to the vcr replay. It's a team effort, really, because the bug reports are very very helpful -- especially since I am not all that familiar with the PBEM play myself (I usually play single-player scenarios), and it's easy to miss stuff because of that. Tom

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 2
- 12/4/2000 6:52:00 PM   
Kharan

Y E A H ! Ps. I'll test it if you like.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 3
- 12/4/2000 11:00:00 PM   
Fredde

Great work. Can't wait for the patch I hope the immortal leaders will be gone as well!

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 4
- 12/5/2000 12:52:00 AM   
Kharan

Are you fixing other bugs in this release? The two critical bugs left in single play are support and reinforcement units becoming part of core force in campaigns and the immortal leaders bug. Then of course in online play it would be nice if 2vs2 games worked. But other than those, I think there's only medium (guns don't lose their shots after being moved, reinforcement hexes sometimes left out in modified maps) and minor bugs (artillery having too few smoke rounds in online) left.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 5
- 12/5/2000 1:07:00 AM   
Tom Proudfoot

It will be whatever I can get fixed this morning. The AI moving units on turn 6, and the support & leader bugs are at the top of the list. Tom

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 6
- 12/5/2000 1:12:00 AM   
Fuerte

Great work! Thanks a lot!

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 7
- 12/5/2000 3:11:00 AM   
Wild Bill

For your knowledge, I tested the VCR replay last night in the test build over a dozen times. It was perfect. No problem whatsover. Looks like you squashed this bug, Tom. Good work! ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 8
- 12/5/2000 3:40:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I just tried again and played through 8 turns of a medium sized battle, using VCR replay every time. No crashes and the size of the saved file zipped was 254,225, which is quite comfortable for sending back and forth Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 9
- 12/5/2000 3:55:00 AM   
Kharan

Wild Bill (or anyone with the beta), could you possibly test out one thing for me? Select hotseat, Blenheim scenario. Quit both German and British first turns, just to be sure. On second German turn move all units their max radius (easiest done by "a" and "g" keys), fire a few units at a hex and save before the turn ends. Alt-tab out of SPWAW and check the appropriate .rec file size in save-directory. If it is anything but 2.28MB, the problem has very likely been solved.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 10
- 12/5/2000 11:42:00 AM   
Grimm

Any idea when the patch will be available?

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 11
- 12/5/2000 11:58:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Kharan,2 turns completed, PBEM rec size, 580,273 WB ================== ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 12
- 12/5/2000 12:14:00 PM   
garry

Now maybe when this patch is out i can play PBEM games again. They have been put on hold for a while.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 13
- 12/5/2000 11:33:00 PM   
Kharan

Thanks, Wild Bill. That sounds promising.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 14
- 12/6/2000 1:40:00 AM   
AbnAirCav

quote:

Originally posted by Pack Rat: ... I wouldn't feel right if I didn't say thank you, so thank you Tom and I hope you'll get the time to enjoy the fruits of your own labor.
  I'd just like to echo these thanks ... the quick attention to fixing this bug is definitely appreciated by those of us who saw it as a "show stopper" for PBEM.

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 15
- 12/6/2000 4:05:00 AM   
Tom Proudfoot

I must point out it wasn't all that quick. However, it was only this weekend that I had the chance to get to SPWAW. Tom

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 16
- 12/6/2000 7:09:00 AM   
AbnAirCav

quote:

Originally posted by Tom Proudfoot: I must point out it wasn't all that quick. However, it was only this weekend that I had the chance to get to SPWAW.
  Well, for what you get paid by us it wasn't too bad, and it is appreciated.  

(in reply to Pack Rat)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> VCR fixed, Mr Proudfoot thank you Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI