Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/31/2001 9:09:00 AM   
Jeffery

no I mean more what they did in Alpha Centauri. They had several images from different angles and used software to rotate a stiched together composite to make it look like it's rotating. I'll join in a week or so. I'm very busy curently

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 31
- 11/1/2001 10:58:00 PM   
danscan

I have made board games (personal use)and I currently program for a living. i pretty good with sketching out concepts and flow charts. I am really good with VB so I don't know how much programming use I can be if you end up doing this in C++.

look ma no hands

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 32
- 11/2/2001 2:33:00 AM   
Sgt Wilson

Hi, Jeffery, they sound a bit like QuickTime VR objects? QuickTime Development Resources - Tools Victor, if you have Eastern Front II all the graphics are in bmp format. I don't know if there is any copyright free game clipart, but to get a non-comercial demo up and running. You could always beg, borrow or steal from exsiting sources ? Danscan, there are plenty of ways to share code. Dll's and intel obj's e.t.c

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 33
- 11/4/2001 8:50:00 PM   
Nomad

I just came across this thread. This is a great idea. I have experience in programming and project management. I too have thought about developing games, but came up against the fact that 1 person has many BIG problems. I would like to help if possible.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 34
- 11/4/2001 11:55:00 PM   
VictorH

I'm waiting to hear back from Duane. All of us should send him an email with our skills.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 35
- 11/5/2001 1:17:00 AM   
Duane

quote:

Originally posted by VictorH:
I'm waiting to hear back from Duane. All of us should send him an email with our skills.
Victor, Yes, I received your mail. I have been waiting to hear from others who are interested. I will give us one more week (11-9-01) and will then post the names I have received here. I will then email a contact list to everyone on the list so we can start discussing the next step.
I look forward to hearing from everyone. By the way, if any of you are the least bit interested, let me know. As time goes on and we start working out the structure of the team workng together we will all know better what kind of time and effort will be required. If you do not feel that you can participate then (I will provide a "last call" opportunity, then that's the time to say. Duane

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 36
- 11/5/2001 2:04:00 AM   
axrael

Try using Network54 for a free forum: www.Network54.com

"In far off land called africa where yanks have never been.
There's a six foot zulu warrior being gobbled by a Royal Marine".

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 37
- 11/6/2001 2:31:00 AM   
challenge

The two lists posted by Paul and Ludovic are excellent, but before you start setting up the standards and conventions needed to keep an open source development project uniform, you still need a game concept. The preliminary concept staement does not need to be drastically detailed, but if you don't know what you're trying to build, you won't know what parts you need. To refer to Duane's earlier statement of not needing to be a mechanic to design a car: if you think you're building a race car, and someone else thinks you're building a railway car, the wheels ain't gonna fit. One the primary tools of game design is the concept statement. When planning a source book for an existing RPG, for example, the game company I worked for required an outline of intended material, how the material and information would be integrated into the existing game, and a sample chapter so editors could get a feel for the presentation of the material. the same, modified for the medium, is probably a useful tool for the open source format.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 38
- 11/6/2001 8:34:00 AM   
Jeffery

Duane, just sent you an email.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 39
- 11/6/2001 10:16:00 AM   
Duane

Jeffrey has a good point. At this time, however, we are trying to see who is interested in even working on a project. I have a game design I will submit myself and I hope others who are interested do the same. We can then, as a team decide on the chosen game concept. But I want to wait until we hear from the interested parties first and move from there. Duane

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 40
- 11/6/2001 10:30:00 AM   
Duane

Oops, I meant good point Challenge. In any case, I have 5 people who have shown interest in working on a project. Challenge makes a very good point in detailing what the project will be so perhaps others who are interested will join. Considering the response thus far, I think it is still best to get the list of parties (after this Friday) and then discuss among ourselves the details, ideas, etc. Then, when the core group has decided on the project, we will discuss it here to recruit more help. I have to say that I am very pleased with the email I have received and the interest/input all of you have made in this thread. Something good is going to come of this.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 41
- 11/11/2001 1:33:00 AM   
Matt R

Hello all- Seeing all of this talk about a new game, let me present my design team. We're a voluntary group trying to design a free mod for SP:WaW called SP:Civil War. Even without program changes, the new icons, OOBs, and beta setups are working fine. Let me know if you all would like to see this mod. Thanks,
Matt Reeves.

"An army without a leader.. is like a foot without a big toe..."

Bill Murray
'Stripes'

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 42
- 11/11/2001 10:28:00 AM   
Duane

quote:

Originally posted by Matt R:
Hello all- Seeing all of this talk about a new game, let me present my design team. We're a voluntary group trying to design a free mod for SP:WaW called SP:Civil War. Even without program changes, the new icons, OOBs, and beta setups are working fine. Let me know if you all would like to see this mod. Thanks,
Matt Reeves.

Game design team update.
OK, we have 6 individuals, including myself, who have expressed interest in this project. I will be creating an email list and will forward to everyone so we can start. We may also want to move to another forum to carry out our discussions and post occasional updates here. The list will be emailed in the next day or so. As to the MOD mentioned above, I would love to see it!

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 43
- 11/13/2001 7:46:00 AM   
Jeffery

hey, why don't we try working on a small game first just to try out the concept and debug the team stucture? I don't mean a simple simple game like pong, but more along the lines of say panzer general.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 44
- 11/13/2001 9:17:00 PM   
danscan

I think Jeffery has a good point. Maybe try something small then move up to something larger. Also for the real game lets go with a non-hex based. what do you guys think? Personally I think it owuld be easier and more realistic to porgram in X-Y then in hexs.

look ma no hands

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 45
- 11/14/2001 9:08:00 AM   
von Murrin

Wow, I just found this thread. You guys are just what I'm looking for. Game design is something that I have always wanted to do, but never knew where to start. I have been building ideas and ruminating for months now, and would jump at the chance to actually help on a project. Currently I would only be able to help with ideas/concepts (unless you find a way to code a game with SQL) , but I've been fairly champing at the bit to learn something new- C++ or whatever. Anyway, if you gents want more help, I'm definitely in.
I'll be checking my email.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 46
- 11/14/2001 10:53:00 AM   
Jeffery

glad to have you aboard RF, the best way to learn a new language is to use it. I taught myself C++ but I learned far more from writing code than from a book. The cool thing about working on a project with a people (which I didn't have the benefit of when I started C++) is that you get to see the source code being written as the software is being developed. Hopefully we'll adopt some sort of convention regarding coding style and naming conventions and general organizational stuff like that. It's very cool to work on a project because you actually understand how everything works rather than just go along with some fixed syllabus and nod.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 47
- 11/14/2001 10:59:00 AM   
Pretender

ah, email you said, email it shall be. (didn't read the entire thread the first time around) [ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Pretender ]

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 48
- 11/14/2001 11:40:00 AM   
Duane

I sent mail to the 5 or so people signing on to the project with the contact list. I have not heard back from anyone yet but I assume you all got my mail. Please let me know if you got the list. For the new folks just finding us, glad to have ya'll (good southern speak) aboard. Please send me an email to aquaserve@home.com with your contact info and skills (this includes gaming history etc).

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 49
- 11/14/2001 9:14:00 PM   
challenge

Got the list Duane. Emailed to my other adress and added it to a contact list. I suggest you try to find a room or board where we can do a real-time brainstorm session. Work out a who-to-do list and get to know each other. Once you have a place worked out, we can figure out a time we can all meet. I live in the Central US time zome (gmt-6).

Challenge

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 50
- 11/15/2001 9:33:00 AM   
VictorH

quote:

Originally posted by Duane:
I sent mail to the 5 or so people signing on to the project with the contact list. I have not heard back from anyone yet but I assume you all got my mail. Please let me know if you got the list. For the new folks just finding us, glad to have ya'll (good southern speak) aboard. Please send me an email to aquaserve@home.com with your contact info and skills (this includes gaming history etc).
Hi Duane, I got your email. I wonder if we could consider converting an old Board Game to a computer game?
I notice one of the others who gave you information had played some of the old SPI boardgames. I have played many of those myself and have an Extensive collection of old boardgames. At least with something like that we already have an idea and rules available. That would allow us to concentrate on actually building a game engine, graphics routine and AI. [ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: VictorH ]

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 51
- 11/15/2001 10:01:00 AM   
Duane

Game Design "Team": I will establish a bulletin board host by the end of the weekend. I will post the address and then schedule a "get to know you" meeting. If you have not sent me your email and info to AquaServe@home.com please do so because the list will be closed by Saturday...since a few others have expressed interest(this is only to prevent a constantly fluctuating list people) Thanks!

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 52
- 11/15/2001 10:03:00 AM   
Duane

Victor: That's a pretty good idea. Lets discuss that and others in detail at the "get to know you" meeting. Take care! Duane

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 53
- 11/15/2001 10:02:00 PM   
challenge

Keep in mind that using an existing game could require lisencing or other agreement to avoid copyright infringement. Of course, if there is a company who would like to see the old board game turn digital ....

Challenge

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 54
- 11/16/2001 8:38:00 AM   
VictorH

I'm not concerned about licensing because we are trying to find an easy way to learn how to build a wargame. After doing that we can worry about licensing. Decision Games owns the rights to most of the old SPI games and has already published a conversion of War in Europe to PC DOS. We could even do that game as a Windows game and try to sell it to them as an upgrade??? Then of course there are the friendly folks at Matrix who could make a deal too?

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 55
- 11/16/2001 9:22:00 AM   
Jeffery

it doesn't even have to be an wargame. Of course wargames is what most of us are familiar with. I was thinking of something like Panzer general. The engine itself is very simple. I was thinking about the following line of progression: Tile based turn based, isometric turn based, isometric real time, then we should be able to do whatever required, 3D if necessary. Have anyone ever played Combat Mission? That was a great game.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 56
- 11/16/2001 11:00:00 AM   
von Murrin

Why don't we just pull the innovative ideas of some of the better board games out there and design our own game using them as a reference? For example, anyone play WiF:Final and/or Total War by combining Advanced Third Reich and Rising Sun? The greatest thing about WiF is it's production system and it's naval combat system. OTOH, A3R had the finest diplomacy system ever seen in a board game and when combined with RS for Total War, it also allowed the most complex (simple to use) research system I have ever seen. Having played both systems, I have always wondered why somebody didn't just integrate these three concepts (or something very like) in their own global war game. The great thing about this or something similar, is that the original games can be referenced to see how and why they were so great (read fun). This also doesn't mean that we have to stick to traditional hex-based war games because the concepts we use won't change; just the way in which they are implemented.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 57
- 11/17/2001 9:52:00 AM   
VictorH

I think a hex based game like the old SPI games would be the easiest to code first. That way we get some experince building a game, graphics and AI engine. Then we could use those to build a game that is original.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 58
- 11/17/2001 10:14:00 AM   
von Murrin

Sure, that's sensible. I've never played an SPI game before, but I do have at least a quarter of the games published by AH. I guess we'd have to see where most of the collective gaming experience lies.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 59
- 11/17/2001 11:19:00 AM   
VictorH

quote:

Originally posted by ReclusiveFool:
Sure, that's sensible. I've never played an SPI game before, but I do have at least a quarter of the games published by AH. I guess we'd have to see where most of the collective gaming experience lies.
Hi, Avalon Hill, SPI/S&T, Conflict, GDW, Victory Games, West End Games, etc., I have played them all and have many of them in my collection. Errata is available for many of them still too, at the Grognards Web Site. By the way, I like the "Mr. Grenade" line.

(in reply to Duane)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI