Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fun things to try

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Fun things to try Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fun things to try - 8/17/2010 11:45:12 PM   
ralphtricky

I wanted to help people understand the effects of terrain. To do this, I made the space bar hide the units and bring them back. They're also the main driver behind the tooltips. They were the only place I could think of that I could put the terrain effects, and having the little picture of the terrain also helps. Since the spacebar does that, a logical extension (I don't remember stealing this one from anywhere) is that pushing the space bar hides most dialogs.

The combat dialog now also allows you to assign direct artillery. That lets you optimize attacks more easily since it also shows very rough odds.

Turn down the volume of the music and actually listen to the sound of the units moving. This one was purely for fun, but you should be able to hear the units moving from left to right. That's right... TOAW is now in Stereo<grin>.

The whole right click moves thingie is mainly so that I can play with my iPad or with a touch screen. Playing with a touch screen is about as close to a boardgame on a computer as you're going to get. If you're a bit caual, then not having that intimidating menu pop up each time works nicely.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Post #: 1
RE: Fun things to try - 8/17/2010 11:48:03 PM   
ralphtricky

And clouds. You can now turn on clouds, but still see the units underneath when doing air plotting.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 2
RE: Fun things to try - 8/18/2010 2:24:11 AM   
Panama

Not only those things. You've given the scenario designers a lot of new toys to play with too. It's like looking under the Christmas tree and finding loads of presents to open.

Post #: 3
RE: Fun things to try - 8/18/2010 3:45:36 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
Turn down the volume of the music and actually listen to the sound of the units moving. This one was purely for fun, but you should be able to hear the units moving from left to right. That's right... TOAW is now in Stereo<grin>.

That's hilarious. Going to turn on my sound effects again to try this one. :D

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

Post #: 4
RE: Fun things to try - 8/18/2010 3:12:47 PM   
GBS

Ralph I have not found a complete explanation of the terain popup info. What does AT 200% and INF 100% or somthing like that stand for? Thanks. You've done a great job.

Post #: 5
RE: Fun things to try - 8/18/2010 8:27:59 PM   
HercMighty

How do you play with an iPAD?

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 6
RE: Fun things to try - 8/19/2010 1:40:14 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS
Ralph I have not found a complete explanation of the terain popup info. What does AT 200% and INF 100% or somthing like that stand for? Thanks. You've done a great job.

It's changed a bit for the production release.

AT is Anti-Tank
Inf (Will be AP) is AntiPersonnel (or Infantry)
SP Is Supply
Fort is fortification level.

AT and AP are Percents. The Tank equipment in Bocage will get a benefit of 200% against anti-tank fire, and a benefit of 300% against anti-personnel fire. This is only part pf the equation, so you won't see a 200% reduction in casualties.

Supply is the number of supply points you'd regain in that turn.

Fortification is the fortication level of that hex which impacts how quickly a unit can go to entrenched and fortified.

I forgot to put them in the XML file for this release, they should be there for 3.5.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 7
RE: Fun things to try - 8/19/2010 2:05:07 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty
How do you play with an iPAD?

First, I need to add the usual disclaimers, do this at your own risk, I'm a trained professional, I'm not liable if UFOs come down, etc, etc, etc.

I'm pretty sure that Windows XP and 7 versions above the home version allow you to Remote Desktop into the PC (RDP) The first thing to do is to turn on allowing remote desktop in. Since this will allow someone else to look at your computer, please make sure to take the normal security precautions. For windows 7, just type 'Remote Desktop' into the box you get below the program listings. For XP, it's hidden in the control panel on the system application, I believe.

I use an RDP client called Jump or iTap. There are a couple of other ones out there, if you type RDP into the app store, you should find them. You might play with the one 'lite' version I saw up there, the price is right for that one (free.) I haven't tried it, but I'll try it later and see how well it works.

The other two are more expensive (check the prices first) I find that Jump has the advantage that holding your finger down does a right-click, which is very, very handy. iTap seems to be faster, although the right mosue click is more clumsy and after the latest patch, I've had problems connecting to my PC using it.

That's it, you aren't running TOAW on your iPad, you're running it on your PC and forwarding the desktop image to it. I find it's great for me for relaxing on the couch, etc.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 8
RE: Fun things to try - 8/19/2010 4:18:11 AM   
HercMighty

Got you...going to school for programming online with the Univirsity Of Phoenix, but there classroom boards run in flash...so I do the "remote desktop" thing to I can do my homework anywhere where I have my iPAD...so I know exactly what your talking about now...

Post #: 9
RE: Fun things to try - 8/19/2010 4:24:14 AM   
ralphtricky

Cool, let me know how you like it and what software you're using.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Fun things to try Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI