Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/26/2010 1:25:54 AM   
gwgardner

Funny. I'm not about to compare this game to Civ4! My only suggestion was that the battles are better. More detailed, involved.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 31
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/26/2010 3:02:28 AM   
lancer

G'dye,

Are you able to talk about how the battles actually work?

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 32
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/26/2010 4:02:03 AM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancer

G'dye,

Are you able to talk about how the battles actually work?

Cheers,
Lancer

Sure. Take a look at the screenshots of battles in this and Fletcher's AAR.

You have leader strengths, which effect each side. Hannibal has special battle tactics (cards).

You choose up to 8 units to man the front line of each round of battle. Cavalry is useful in the frontline in case the enemy tries to retreat, in which case your cavalry can pursue (their cavalry can screen the pursuit).

There are elephants, calvalry, archers, infantry, etc., all with unique attack and defense strengths, and some with attack bonuses.

Each round the sides have a chance to inflict hits and routs. Some routed units can be returned to battle, at the expense of leader strength. Others, like Gallic units can not return after being routed, except if Hannibal plays some tactics.

There are field battles, sieges, storming of cities, attacks against enemy encampments, naval battles.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 33
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/26/2010 6:37:15 AM   
lancer

G'day,

O.K, thanks for the info.

Could you elaborate on how much decision-making impact the player has on the battle?

I gather from your comments above that the initial battle line composition is important plus the play of a ''tactics' card but does the player's involvement extend beyond this?

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 34
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/26/2010 1:15:03 PM   
gwgardner

The player decides on which units are eliminated and routed during the battle.

Example, an African infantry unit can absorb two hits. It's important, very important, to include them in any line of battle. One has to judge when to use those Gallic units, because they are strong but normally impossible to rally. The player has to decide on rallying routed units, and this can have a major impact on future rounds of battle. And then the player has to weigh factors involved in retreating and pursuing.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 8/26/2010 1:17:35 PM >

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 35
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/27/2010 9:02:10 PM   
gwgardner

Years 6 and 7 of this war with Rome have witnessed no major battles. Instead, Hannibal and Hamilcar combined their armies, and Hannibal marched on Rome itself, laying siege.

The perennial Roman leading general, meanwhile, has marched across the top of Italy and retaken every one of the cities that the Carthagenians had taken in earlier years.

I was expecting the Romans to gather everything to break the siege of Rome, but it appears they are playing a waiting game, knowing that the city will last for years under siege. Slowly building up their strength, I think they will surely attack soon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 36
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/27/2010 9:19:53 PM   
gwgardner

Year 8 the Carthagenian Senate authorized reinforcement of Rome. Hamilco crossed the Pyrennes to bring Spanish cavalry and infantry, but has to fight his way across the Alps. He won't be able to get to Hannibal till year 9.

The Romans under Consul Nero decided to challenge Hannibal, bringing 13 legions to break the siege. He hoped that Hannibal would maintain the siege, thereby adding the 12 legions inside the city to the Roman army. Hannibal immediately broke his siege and took up a strong position in Latium, awaiting Nero attack.

Nero went into his own defensive position.

13 legions againt 17 Carthagenian divisions, in year 9, because Hannibal is certain that Nero just made his biggest mistake ever. He should have crept into the capitol. Instead he's a sitting duck for what could be the climactic battle of the war.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 8/27/2010 9:22:39 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 37
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/28/2010 4:12:56 AM   
lancer

G'day,

This is a fun AAR.

Does Hannibal have to worry about feeding his army or is he assumed to be happily living of the land?

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 38
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/28/2010 5:10:39 AM   
gwgardner

Living off the land. Supply is 'volunteered' from the locals.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 39
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/29/2010 2:09:31 AM   
gwgardner

Year 9 opening situation: not good.

I forgot to mention that the entire Carthagenian fleet was lost at sea, to storms. That leaves Hannibal pretty much cut off from reinforcements.

He sits south of Rome with 17 divisions of troops. Nero is encamped nearby inside stout fortifications with 13 legions. 12 more legions sit guarding Rome itself, with 8 militia cohorts.

It is probable that Hannibal could inflict a drubbing on Nero, but not decisively. That would leave his army sitting in Latium or Ertruria at the mercy of combined Roman armies, but ... he dares the Fates ...

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 40
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/29/2010 2:13:27 AM   
gwgardner

and gets a faceful of dust for his pains, with no chance of victory. Nero refuses battle and quickly draws his screening cavalry into the encampment.

Hannibal can attack the Romans in their camp, but that takes away all of his advantages: his elaphants and cavalry will be ineffective, and he cannot use his vaunted battle tactics.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 41
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/29/2010 2:14:14 AM   
gwgardner

Hannibal decides to ravage the countryside once again, then head north to join up with reinforcements from Spain.

After tearing through Etruria - more ravaging - then using extended moves into Cisalpine Gaul to take all cities there by storm, then down into Samnium to storm Corfinum just to scare the Romans in the capitol again, Hannibal ends in Genoa.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 8/29/2010 2:32:45 AM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 42
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/29/2010 2:41:15 AM   
gwgardner

After recruiting more legions, for a total of 27 split between the Roman garrison and their army in the field south of rome, the enemy sends two - count 'em two - legions north, and successfully takes back three cities in the north. Hannibal could not intercept - he was lazing away inside Genoa.

One good piece of news as the year ended:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 43
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/29/2010 10:33:08 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

You choose up to 8 units to man the front line of each round of battle. Cavalry is useful in the frontline in case the enemy tries to retreat, in which case your cavalry can pursue (their cavalry can screen the pursuit).

I just wanted to clarify.. all remaining non-routed cavalry in each army fight out a pursuit battle if one side retreats. They dont' have to be one of the 8 in the front line.

Great AAR, gwgardner, very entertaining.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 44
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 8/29/2010 2:40:00 PM   
gwgardner

Thanks for the clarification. So what do you think? The game is half over, and perhaps I've been too cautious with Hannibal? Fabian tactics are beginning to show. If Hannibal offers battle, the Romans pull into their fortified camps.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 45
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/1/2010 6:59:33 PM   
gwgardner

Year 10, and Hannibal starts to sense time running short in this long, long war. How long can he maintain an army in the middle of Italy, with reinforcements coming in so slowly.

With no command in Spain, Spanish reinforcements are completely dried up. With no fleet, forces from Africa are few and far between.

He decides to use his superior battle tactics in one throw of the dice against the larger Roman army in Latium. Upon entering Latium, using an extended march, Scipio surprises him by intercepting and demanding battle.

Hannibal smiles. So be it.

This is a do or die battle ... or is it ...?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 9/1/2010 7:02:10 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 46
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/1/2010 7:01:20 PM   
gwgardner

The battle goes fairly well, but Scipio breaks off after two rounds and retreats into Rome. Hannibal has little choice but to ravage the countryside in anger over his failed attempt to inflict a decisive defeat. Then he besieges Rome itself.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 47
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/1/2010 7:07:34 PM   
gwgardner

Hannibal demands that the Senate send a commander to Spain to gather reinforcements. It does so, and also authorizes reinforcement of Spain. For the last three turns it has also purchased a fleet.

Meanwhile, the Romans start gathering forces again and challenge him to battle. He abandons the siege, but then the Roman field army goes into encampment south of Rome.

Hannibal has to wait. [no more battle tactic cards! My crown for a battle card!] He bides his time, and awaits those troops from Spain.

So the situation as of Year 12:

[oops, I fear I've made a huge mistake, not reestablishing the siege of Rome. We're looking at a combine Roman force of 30 legions]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 9/1/2010 7:08:30 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 48
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/2/2010 11:25:49 PM   
gwgardner

In year 13 (bad luck?) Hannibal fled to the north, ravaging the countryside (of course) on the way. He advised the Senate to reinforce Spain. Along with recruiting there, he hoped to get reinforcements the next turn from there.

The Romans had had enough of Fabian tactics, however, and decided to march north with their largest army ever.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 49
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/2/2010 11:29:57 PM   
gwgardner

The numbers wore Hannibal's force down, and he had no battle tactics left that the Romans hadn't already seen and developed a response to (ie I have no tactics cards). With his last remaining cavalry unit he fled the battle into the city of Genoa.

The Romans proceeded to mop up Cisalpine Gaul, punishing every city that had gone over to the Carthagenians, albeit by force, then marched on Genoa itself.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 50
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/2/2010 11:30:35 PM   
gwgardner

A forgone conclusion:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 51
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/2/2010 11:33:47 PM   
gwgardner

I made a few mistakes! Perhaps I used my cards too often. I needed to learn to husband them for just the right moment. I had no real strategy in Italy other than to ravage. I mismanaged reinforcements from Africa and Spain, and after losing my entire fleet, that was even harder.

I hope this AAR however will serve to illustrate that this is one game where the AI will not disappoint. And this was 'normal' level of play.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 52
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/3/2010 11:17:55 AM   
PJJ

Thanks for the entertaining AAR. Maybe you should have tried to occupy a few cities in the south and east in order to get support from the Italian population there, and maybe get some help from Macedonia in the process? That should force the Romans to split their forces and make it harder for them to form such a huge uber-army to kick Hannibal's butt.

Or maybe not. Maybe you shouldn't have followed my advice at all and stayed safely in the north instead.

I hope it won't take long before this game is finally released! 

"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be ****ted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 53
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/3/2010 11:58:57 AM   
gwgardner

Actually, the possibilities of a 'southern strategy' are something I haven't explored yet. So you may be right. Another area I need to learn is how better to use my other commanders. There are some good ones, and I primarily used them all as shuttle commanders, to reinforce Hannibal. Big mistake, I think.

(in reply to PJJ)
Post #: 54
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/5/2010 7:31:28 PM   
NefariousKoel

Holy testicle Tuesdays Batman!  That's a big Roman army! 

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 55
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/8/2010 2:42:28 PM   
Alan Sharif

This AAR has been excellent. Another Matrix game I will purchase for sure.

A Sharif

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 56
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/10/2010 12:05:27 AM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

This AAR has been excellent. Another Matrix game I will purchase for sure.

I can say with some assurance that if you're a wargamer with an interest in 1) Roman/ancient warfare, or 2) just a plain old fun game, you won't be disappointed.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 57
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/10/2010 4:44:33 PM   
Alan Sharif

Thanks. I must confess the games graphics were putting me off but your AAR has demonstrated this is a title not to be missed. I look for games that are simple to play, but reasonably historically accurate. This seems to fit the bill in a major way.

A Sharif

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 58
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/11/2010 2:43:12 AM   
gdrover

Great AAR! I'm psyched to get this game. About a year ago I read the history of the 2nd Punic War, and the Historical Novel as well, so I'm well and truly in the mood.

Any idea when this will be available (even what month?)

Thanks

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 59
RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR - 9/11/2010 6:40:47 AM   
gwgardner

Hopefully Eric or someone will post concerning the release date. I wouldn't dare to offer a guess. It's ready though, as far as I'm concerned!

(in reply to gdrover)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> RE: To the Gates of Rome - a Hannibal:Rome&Carthage AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI