Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/23/2010 12:15:49 AM   
Astax

Yeah it's funny how they can weaponize lasers, but can't come up with a decent firearm. Anyways if u see most recent sci fi movies, they really gave up on the idea of laser weapons. Pretty sure for atmospheric warfare nothing beats good old kinetics, unless you are fighting an energy based life-form. Plus there is technology that is actually outlawed available today. Bullets that explode inside human flesh. Those are just nasty.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 61
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/23/2010 12:57:04 AM   
Shark7

Yep, it is actually against the laws of war (that is an oxymoron in itself...the act of war is anything but lawful) that disallow the use of any projectiles that are not jacketed to prevent against splintering. In other words, your standard NATO or Soviet round would leave a clean wound. Even your standard lead hunting catridge is against the rules of the Geneva Convention....they are perfectly fine for hunting deer, but not for use in war.

It's basically trying to civilize that which is not civilized...

< Message edited by Shark7 -- 5/23/2010 12:58:14 AM >

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 62
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/23/2010 7:25:06 AM   
taltamir

they world is extremely civilized... too much so.
And war can be very lawful and good, it is most often evil and unlawful... but it CAN be lawful and it CAN be good.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/23/2010 8:56:45 AM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 63
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/23/2010 8:41:09 AM   
Fishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

star-wars weapons are generally all crap... vastly inferior to the modern firearm... their blasters are harmless and you can actually dodge them... then you get into the melee weapons (lame) and things like the "bowcaster" (a crossbow)
I don't think the crossbows are actually intended as serious weapons of war, as opposed to personal weapons constructed in a garage. Plus, it makes for an awesome game mode where a team of players is mounted on tauntauns and hunts a single other player to the death with those crossbows.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 64
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/23/2010 7:05:26 PM   
Dadekster

Star Wars has some pretty kick ass weapons imo. Verpine Shatter Gun anyone?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Verpine_shatter_gun

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 65
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/24/2010 12:04:40 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dadekster

which begs the question... why wasn't everyone using those?

(in reply to Dadekster)
Post #: 66
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/24/2010 3:24:18 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Astax
I wish DW added troop tech tree and allowed for different unit types. And so you can recruit different type as well, your choice. Certain Types would get bonus when fighting on certain planets. Like Aquamarines and stuff :)

Thats a really good point Astax. It would be nice if troops got bonuses in their native environments, and penalties in the ones that they cant endure. Also, it would be nice if weapon and defense tech levels were reflected as small equipment bonuses for an empire's troops.

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 67
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/24/2010 3:48:46 AM   
taltamir

building different troop types would be too cumbersome and micro-managy... why not just keep it to racial bonuses / penalties for terrain and tech bonuses?
A troop is, after all, an entire army comprised of many soldiers. Naturally it contains tanks, airplanes, etc etc.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 68
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/24/2010 5:45:24 PM   
Dadekster

quote:

quote:

The single biggest reason is that they are custom made from what I understand, thus making them very expensive, especially the sniping versions. I could see elite troops and or mercs/assassains using them but Verpine weaponry isn't something you arm your standard military soldier with. They'd get something more like-

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/E-11_blaster_rifle

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 69
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/24/2010 11:12:56 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

quote:

The single biggest reason is that they are custom made from what I understand, thus making them very expensive, especially the sniping versions. I could see elite troops and or mercs/assassains using them but Verpine weaponry isn't something you arm your standard military soldier with. They'd get something more like-

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/E-11_blaster_rifle

Ok, lets say for a second they are extremely expensive. (today we can already build coil guns and rail guns, but they have issues that make them not practical)

So why not use a real gun like we use today? its very cheap to manufacture, we know it works...
The richest would buy those super railgun, and the masses would use normal guns...

(in reply to Dadekster)
Post #: 70
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 5/26/2010 4:57:43 PM   
Dadekster

Yeah, I just sort of said that I think.

I posted a link to the gun that the unwashed masses would use as well, at least in the Star Wars universe. I would imagine that in DW there would be a parallel unless we are going to get all Doctor Who on this.

Still looking forward to seeing the new artwork btw

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 71
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 8/20/2010 7:17:54 PM   
ehsumrell1

Fantastic job on the Troop images & png files Evildoer! You've added another great facet to the
Distant Worlds immersion factor!

(in reply to evildoer)
Post #: 72
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 8/22/2010 7:17:17 AM   
DTFS

this is some REALLY good art work friend non of my BS artwork (im a programer not an artist so...)

(in reply to madpainter)
Post #: 73
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 8/22/2010 4:14:51 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Yep, it is actually against the laws of war (that is an oxymoron in itself...the act of war is anything but lawful) that disallow the use of any projectiles that are not jacketed to prevent against splintering. In other words, your standard NATO or Soviet round would leave a clean wound. Even your standard lead hunting catridge is against the rules of the Geneva Convention....they are perfectly fine for hunting deer, but not for use in war.

There is a scale in war acts; the dirtier you fight it, the more likely the other side will do it too, and you end up with a lot more atrocities and harder it is to convince the other to end the war. There are clean wars where only war targets are attacked, prisoners treated fairly, no ransaking, no women harmed and no dirty weapons used... But the more casualties there are, the less civilized it gets.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 74
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 8/22/2010 4:32:11 PM   
Slyke57

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

There is a scale in war acts; the dirtier you fight it, the more likely the other side will do it too, and you end up with a lot more atrocities and harder it is to convince the other to end the war. There are clean wars where only war targets are attacked, prisoners treated fairly, no ransaking, no women harmed and no dirty weapons used... But the more casualties there are, the less civilized it gets.

Very well put Foraven

My random mods xD
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2532427&mpage=1&key=�
"Your architect is my playground."

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 75
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 8/23/2010 4:50:40 AM   
Foraven

Hum... Not sure what i do wrong but i can't get it to work using the customization directory. I don't want to overwrite the stock files, anyone can help?

Oh and thanks Slyke57.

(in reply to Slyke57)
Post #: 76
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 8/23/2010 12:30:31 PM   
Igard

Sorry if this sounds obvious, Foraven, but make sure you're switching theme to the 'Racial Troop Icons' theme at the main menu.

The directory structure should look as follows: /Distant Worlds/Customization/Racial Troop Icons/troopImages. However, you can change the 'Racial Troop Icons' folder to whatever you want and include it with other mods.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 77
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 8/23/2010 1:09:43 PM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Sorry if this sounds obvious, Foraven, but make sure you're switching theme to the 'Racial Troop Icons' theme at the main menu.

The directory structure should look as follows: /Distant Worlds/Customization/Racial Troop Icons/troopImages. However, you can change the 'Racial Troop Icons' folder to whatever you want and include it with other mods.

Well, i did not know yet we had to enable them too. Thanks.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 78
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 12/18/2010 11:23:58 AM   
ASHBERY76

Bump.I think we need a few new one for the expansion.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 79
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 12/27/2010 5:02:16 PM   
hewwo

awesome!

(in reply to madpainter)
Post #: 80
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 12/30/2010 9:38:28 AM   
tofudog

Hi taltamir,
seeing how *fail* Mr. Lucas is at anything but gorgeous special effects I think we should allow ourselves some leeway to imagine a star wars universe that works more like we would imagine it.
Try getting your hands on the "Republic Commando" game, for example . Still one of the best FPS out there imo.

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 81
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 1/6/2011 12:54:36 PM   
Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Bump.I think we need a few new one for the expansion.

Indeed, 2 new :D

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 82
RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! - 1/7/2011 9:05:30 PM   
Tampa_Gamer

Great troop images! and I do hope ground combat is given some TLC in upcoming patches - just a little more visual/audio feedback would be nice.

As to the images, the only problem I had was seeing them in the colony/troop transport screens due to size so I gave all the pics a light grey background. Now I can easily see at a glance whether or not the transport or colony has XX number of troops. Note - this is also probably caused by my aging monitor (Viewsonic P225f CRT) which has begun to have gamma/brightness/contract issues.

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 83
THUMBS UP! - 1/10/2011 6:40:20 AM   
James009

Incredible work here! This stuff is essential and Matrix should just recruit you into their art department these are so good.

Thanks for having alternate models available, some of your alternate stuff is excellent too. I look forward to seeing what else you create!

:D

(in reply to Tampa_Gamer)
Post #: 84
RE: THUMBS UP! - 4/10/2011 9:21:37 PM   
gijas17

Is this mod or program compatable with DW ROTS 1.58?

"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

(in reply to James009)
Post #: 85
RE: THUMBS UP! - 4/10/2011 9:30:01 PM   
Haree78

Yes completely.

(in reply to gijas17)
Post #: 86
RE: THUMBS UP! - 4/20/2011 11:20:16 AM   
MartialDoctor

Great work on these.  Really enjoy them 

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 87
RE: THUMBS UP! - 4/20/2011 11:38:04 AM   
J HG T

New troop icons for Ancients, Shakturi and robotics would be great too. Still, a must have "mod" for everybody.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 88
RE: THUMBS UP! - 4/24/2011 1:23:20 AM   
evildoer

Hi, so it's been almost a year since my last update and no I haven't given up on this game. A few weeks ago I bought the expansion and insalled the latest patch and i've had several fairly bug free and wonderful games so far.

I haven't been forced to abandon my games due to various game-breaking issues! (currupt saved games, my entire fleet deciding THIS planet is a wonderful place to hang out or lets fly to the topmost corner of the map etc...) So good work with the patching Matrix!

Here is the update some of you have been requesting, it's a small one. One new old troop; the Ikkuro Strike Commando, see below, plus various minor tweeks and of course the two new races and a robotic troop i found somewhere, check it out.

I also noticed cookie monster put up some nice ones, basically the Shakturi in mine is the same as his and i'll probably use his Ancient Guardian troop in my games for now (I just used the race portrait there aswell, flipped horizontally )

cheers.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 89
RE: THUMBS UP! - 4/24/2011 1:25:10 AM   
evildoer

So here is the Ikkuro troop and also the robotic one i've been using, enyoj!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to evildoer)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [Release] Racial Troop Icons! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI