Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  979 980 [981] 982 983   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/24/2010 11:26:10 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

Well Steve,

I've played too many wargames. Invading the US occationally so i've learn most geography, or i like to think so ...

Going by pure memory. Mid west. Some where between Nevada/Utah, New Mexico, the Dakotas and Missiouri. More south and west mid-west tho IIRC. North of Texas and New Mexico naturally.
U aint got no NFL team, right?

Didnt u use to live in VA near DC(Alexadria perphase)? my ex GF was from North DC, just south of Chevy Chase. Whats the chances u thot i knew where Chevy Chase was?

Kind regards,

Rasmus

I have lived in Alexandria (3 times, recently less than 3 months ago). I do figure the odds that you'd probably know Chevy Chase before where Nebraska is !

There's a real easy way to find it. Stick your finger on the map as close to dead center of the USA as you can. Odds are , you'll not only find Nebraska , but Omaha , (the city I live six miles from).

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 29401
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/24/2010 11:29:54 PM   
AW1Steve

The story goes , that when General Curtis Lemay was looking to move Strategic Air Command from Andrews AFB MD , to a "safer place" he stuck his finger right into what he thought was dead center , and found Omaha Nebraska. Which happened to be the home of Offutt AFB. He was very familiar with Offutt , as the Glen L. Martin plant there built Enola Gay , Bock's car and 1000= other B-29's. So there's the rest of the story.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29402
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/24/2010 11:30:29 PM   
AW1Steve

OBTW Yuri, Simon.....I got the new page again!!!!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29403
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/24/2010 11:30:36 PM   
Walloc

Thx Steve,

So more right in the middle of mid west.

Rasmus

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29404
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/24/2010 11:52:57 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Thx Steve,

Rasmus

So come on out! I'll certainly stop by Danmark to buy you a drink next time I'm in Europe.

Chickenboy and I have been trying to plan some kind of Middle of America WITP/AE Summit here. Problem is it's been so bloody hot. Maybe this autum.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 29405
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:09:41 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

DOING!(TM)

A very timely appearance, just after Walloc's post.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29406
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:12:35 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Ahh, so i wasnt totally off.

Thx much for the help both of ya,

Rasmus

P.S At leased i've taught one american the location of Denmark. Had to make her come in person to meet me.....
Ahh, the joys of playing MMORPGs.
Are geeks allowed in the thread?

If playing computer games and meeting people from all over the world makes one a geek, then they are absolutely welcome in THE THREAD!!! (FYI, officially it's spelled in all capital letters with 3 exclamation points) If that's the case, I'm officially a geek, as I have a European AE player coming to stay with me for a few days next week.

Welcome aboard, Walloc!

Mike

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 29407
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:16:28 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

Thx Steve,

Rasmus

So come on out! I'll certainly stop by Danmark to buy you a drink next time I'm in Europe.

Chickenboy and I have been trying to plan some kind of Middle of America WITP/AE Summit here. Problem is it's been so bloody hot. Maybe this autum.

Our Labor Day Weekend AE Summit will include at least 3 forum members, and I had a phone call tip over the weekend that there may be a 4th, surprise forum guest.

Mike

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29408
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:31:55 AM   
Walloc

quote:

Sigh, now i hafta teach another american that europe is a pretty large place.
Non the less u more than welcome and in that case ill take u up on that offer. I dont live that far from Timtom, IIRC.

About going the other way. Last time, actually it was not the last, i tried to enter US soil, it seemed i wasnt going to be allowed in.
When the 19th agent/officer asked me how long it had been since had enter a pig sty, apparently brought on from the fact that i was from Africa. My answer being the same, oh about 20 years when i was a kid. i did start to wonder if i was going to be allowed in.
Too boot I had to convince the immigration officer that mr T was willingly subsidicing me by paying 60% of his income in taxes. All ending up in my pockets, and i didnt earn any money my self.(at that time) I got a very long stare..... I was certain that i was headed to either a rubber padded cell or a plane home.
Ahh, cultural differences.

Oh i can attest that US security officers dont do racial biased selections for security checks. Tho from africa im pretty caucasian looking. Blond and so on.
One of the times on my way home. I arrive at Dulles Int. airport a few hours early. GF apparently wanted me out early...
I was the first in the lounge and was sitting a reading a book about counter terrorist warfare. This was noticed by one of the officers. At some point i saw 4-5 of them standing and talking, looking my way.
The only one picked out for a full check and i do mean full security check was me. Bags of plane, all cloths off, soles out of shoes and so on.
Lesson learn. Read some thing else in an airport.

Least but not the last the FBI has a pair of my scissors. Ex-GF has a summer house S of SF. I arrive on 9/10-2001 at SF international late that night with a United Airlines flight from London. Some how im happy that we didnt had any technical problems and had to make an "emergency" landing in Boston. Next UA flight out of Boston to SF was UA flight 93.
I had my standart travel scissors in my bag with toothpaste and so on. No problem on the way over. HUGE problem on the way home, so i let the FBI keep it rather than the captain having to have it in the cabin.
Well that was an interresting 10 days in the USA. Never got to see any '49 games as they were cancelled. That ofc dwarfed by the reason to why that was.

Forgive me Steve but im hessitant on taking any chances involving fligths to the US as of recently, but thx for the offer.
Ok ok bad excuse, but some nice stories.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/25/2010 1:19:39 AM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29409
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 1:28:09 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

Thx Steve,

Rasmus

Our Labor Day Weekend AE Summit will include at least 3 forum members, and I had a phone call tip over the weekend that there may be a 4th, surprise forum guest.

Cool! Give my best to Thorsen! Of course , while four is good, our last DC summit was 9 players strong! So there!

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 29410
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 1:40:52 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Sigh, now i hafta teach another american that europe is a pretty large place.
Non the less u more than welcome and in that case ill take u up on that offer. I dont live that far from Timtom, IIRC.

About going the other way. Last time, actually it was not the last, i tried to enter US soil, it seemed i wasnt going to be allowed in.
When the 19th agent/officer asked me how long it had been since had enter a pig sty, apparently brought on from the fact that i was from Africa. My answer being the same, oh about 20 years when i was a kid. i did start to wonder if i was going to be allowed in.
Too boot I had to convince the immigration officer that mr T was willingly subsidicing me by paying 60% of his income in taxes. All ending up in my pockets, and i didnt earn any money my self.(at that time) I got a very long stare..... I was certain that i was headed to either a rubber padded cell or a plane home.
Ahh, cultural differences.

Oh i can attest that US security officers dont do racial biased selections for security checks. Tho from africa im pretty caucasian looking. Blond and so on.
One of the times on my way home. I arrive at Dulles Int. airport a few hours early. GF apparently wanted me out early...
I was the first in the lounge and was sitting a reading a book about counter terrorist warfare. This was noticed by one of the officers. At some point i saw 4-5 of them standing and talking, looking my way.
The only one picked out for a full check and i do mean full security check was me. Bags of plane, all cloths off, soles out of shoes and so on.

Least but not the last the FBI has a pair of my scissors. Ex-GF has a summer house S of SF. I arrive on 9/10-2001 at SF international late that night with a United Airlines flight from London. Some how im happy that we didnt had any technical problems and had to make an "emergency" landing in Boston. Next UA flight out of Boston to SF was UA flight 93.
I had my standart travel scissors in my bag with toothpaste and so on. No problem on the way over. HUGE problem on the way home, so i let the FBI keep it rather than the captain having to have it in the cabin.
Well that was an interresting 10 days in the USA. Never got to see any '49 games as they were cancelled. That ofc dwarfed by the reason to why that was.

Forgive me Steve but im hessitant on taking any chances involving fligths to the US as of recently, but thx for the offer.
Ok ok bad excuse, but some nice stories.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Rasmus, having both been stationed in Europe and having gone to college there, I have a pretty good idea of the size. It's actually pretty tiny!

As far as the treatment from our officials upon entry , don't take it personally , they do it to everyone. Even members of our military , in uniform and on orders.

I do know how it feels to be under the eye of foreign officials. On my 1st trip to the UK I was detained by British officials for several hours. It's a scarey feeling, so I definately understand. But after September 11th 2001 , air travel in the USA became very UN-FUN. I love to fly (did it for 23 years in the USN , and am now starting private pilot lessons--again). But I will not fly commercial unless I absolutely have to. In September I have to. But I'm not going to like it!

On the on ther hand , it sounds like you had a particularly bad experince. I'm sorry for the treatment you recieved at the hands of my government. The people who did that to you are "sorry" too. But as an adjective.As in "a pretty sorry lot". And I can't guarantee you won't have that experince again. But I seriously hope you won't hold that against us.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 29411
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 1:45:41 AM   
JWE

Anybody out there from Mobile, AL? If so, please send pm. Really need to chat about real estate.

Got a sudden offer on the house here that’s darn close to asking, but means I have to bail in 6 weeks. Mom is in assisted living out here, but wants to go back to home base on the Gulf Coast. Looking for a duplex (half for Mom, half for a live-in care giver) within 155mm range of water between Pascagoula and P’cola. Need to talk to somebody familiar with the area. Will be there in a couple weeks. Please give phone # in the pm.

Thanks. John

Ps, will buy beer.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 29412
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 1:57:26 AM   
Mynok

quote:

Those are the lessons one remembers.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29413
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 3:02:55 AM   
ChickenOfTheSea

One of my Brit colleagues traveled on business to Australia a couple of years back. When they asked him if he had a criminal record he came back with "I didn't realize it was still a requirement." That got him the full security check as well.

It seems that customs and immigration officials everywhere are seriously lacking in a sense of humor.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29414
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 3:04:56 AM   
comte

Tithe

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 29415
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 3:12:06 AM   
ChickenOfTheSea

Well, tomorrow I migrate AE over to a new i7 quad core. The game will be faster, but will the player be smarter? I can hope so, but I seriously doubt it. At my age, IQ goes only the wrong way.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 29416
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 3:16:03 AM   
Mynok

Lots of things go south at our age.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 29417
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 3:29:51 AM   
JWE

Look, I know there's somebody out there, that's from Mobile, AL, who's righteous. I'm old, and I forget; so could you please pm me. It's a teensy weensy bit important. Thanks. J

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 29418
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 4:23:03 AM   
USSAmerica

Hmmm, John, I don't think any regular Thread Brothers are from that area, but someone is.  Is it Kelly, TOMLABEL?  I am pretty sure he's close, if not in Mobile.

Mike

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29419
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 4:28:33 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America
Hmmm, John, I don't think any regular Thread Brothers are from that area, but someone is.  Is it Kelly, TOMLABEL?  I am pretty sure he's close, if not in Mobile.

Oh, hell yes! Kelly! I knew it was someone righteous! Thanks Mike, I'll go pound on his door. Ciao. J

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 29420
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 7:50:16 AM   
Dixie

Morning chaps 

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 29421
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 8:22:40 AM   
sprior

Morning men. And woman.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 29422
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 10:40:35 AM   
Terminus

Tithe...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29423
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:10:24 PM   
Chickenboy

Good morning, blokes.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29424
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:22:55 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Good morning, blokes.

Good morning , worthy opponent!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 29425
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:23:11 PM   
AW1Steve

Morning tithe.....

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29426
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:26:36 PM   
gladiatt

Good afternoon guys.

I am exhausted.
And i hate august.
Intensively, positively, deeply, meaningfully, instinctively, madly, without mercy, i hate august !

hope you Threadster brothers (and sister of course) goes well.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29427
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:28:04 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

Good afternoon guys.

I am exhausted.
And i hate august.
Intensively, positively, deeply, meaningfully, instinctively, madly, without mercy, i hate august !

And good day to you Eric! Cheer up , August is almost over. (I thought August was the month that much of France goes on holiday?).

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 29428
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:46:22 PM   
gladiatt

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

Good afternoon guys.

I am exhausted.
And i hate august.

And good day to you Eric! Cheer up , August is almost over. (I thought August was the month that much of France goes on holiday?).

hi Steve. Unfortunately, August is the month when my beloved get crazy. Each year, the anniversarystress her to the max, and we had to drive (once more, already did it monday (or was it friday, i can't remenber) her to the psy doc.
That's why i hate august.
And i don't wish this to any thread brother (or sister, hi Graffin).
Even to my opponant (trying to joke sorry )

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 29429
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/25/2010 12:50:43 PM   
sprior

Take heart, it's September soon! And there was much rejoicing.

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 29430
Page:   <<   < prev  979 980 [981] 982 983   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  979 980 [981] 982 983   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI