Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/24/2010 10:32:27 PM   
Erio

Hello! I've been playing DW a little bit, and the one thing that bothers me the most (and putting me off from playing it more) is that the universe feels way to small. So to fix that you could make the space between things bigger...or make ship hyperdrives slower. I would like something with the early hyperdrives going about 10-20% of their current speed, but as the technology gets higher and higher they would slowly reach up to about 70-80% of the current top speed hyperdrives.

Something like:

Early Hyperdrives 1000-2500 speed
Late-Early Hyperdrives 2500-5000
Mid Hyperdrives 5000-7500
Early-Late Hyperdrives 7500-10000
Late Hyperdrives 10000-20000
Late-Late Hyperdrives 20000-30000

Now, i've read that the technology and important things aren't moddable (Why, oh why? Why make a game with such possibilities then dangle it on a stick just out of reach? Do you get your kicks from making us suffer greatly, O Great Devs?) So, I was wondering if it would be possible to change these things with hex editing or memory editing the game while its running. Kind of like that memory edit that lets you play with a bunch more empires.
Post #: 1
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 12:47:38 AM   
Igard

Welcome, Erio.

This has been my plan too to lower hyperdrive speeds, mainly because I don't like the short lived expansion phase of the game. Another thing I'd like to do is increase the cost of colonisation tech, to slow the rate of expansion.

Just be patient, Erio. Elliot is working on more support features for modding, he's done a great job so far patching the game.

(in reply to Erio)
Post #: 2
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 1:51:36 AM   
Fishers of Men

I agree with Erio 100%! I would love to adjust the hyperdrive speed and/or change the fuel cell capacity to shorten the travel ranges. The galaxy does get small rather quickly, so much so that I have never built a resupply ship. I just never needed one. The galaxy should go back to "huge" like it was intended.

FoM

Old............but very fast

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 3
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 3:49:14 AM   
Simulation01

I agree that the galaxy needs to be bigger, or at least there should be options for galaxy sizes and star spacing.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 4
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 3:57:32 AM   
Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishers of Men

I agree with Erio 100%! I would love to adjust the hyperdrive speed and/or change the fuel cell capacity to shorten the travel ranges. The galaxy does get small rather quickly, so much so that I have never built a resupply ship. I just never needed one. The galaxy should go back to "huge" like it was intended.

FoM

Yeah, they are not that useful unless you travel halfway through the galaxy with nowhere to refuel in between. Still, i build one for each of my fleets, but i put construction cranes on them so they can be used as mobile spaceports (also much cheaper to have around than construction ships).

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 5
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 5:10:40 AM   
tjhkkr

That is also an advantage for one fleet over another... the far reaching ability of one over another.
Star spacing would be cool...
But I am so busy fighting pirates most of the time, that expansion for me is very slow.

I can hardly wait for the modability to increase. :)

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 6
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 6:42:55 AM   
lordxorn

Yeah one of the glaring limitation of the game right now is that, correct if I am wrong, that a 500 star game is as big as 1000 just crammed in more?

I love the idea of slowing things down, and opening them up more.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 7
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 8:59:29 AM   
Erio

Is there any indication on where this is on their TODO list and how long it will take them to put out support for modding hyperdrive speed? The fact it takes no time at all to go from star to star is removing the "exploration" and killing the game for me.

I'd happily put the 100 star "tiny" galaxy on the 1400 star size area if I could just to slow things down...

Actually, I just realized I could do that myself by deleting all the stars on the map and putting in new ones...

Hmm...

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 8
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 1:07:35 PM   
Foraven

I think the biggest problem this game has is there is no drawbacks to colonization. If you can afford to send colonizers, there is no limits to how many worlds you can get (worlds cannot cost you to own, unlike games like Sword of the stars). Having colonies is much cheaper than having resupply ships and outpost starbases. 

(in reply to Erio)
Post #: 9
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 1:53:40 PM   
Igard

Back when DW was released, it was quite slow. It had long loading times, some lag. So now that it's been patched and improved upon, there should be no problem making the map size larger.

There have been several requests for this, so let's hope it's high on the agenda. I can't imagine it being too hard to implement either.

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 10
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 7:12:24 PM   
drillerman

Yes, HERE HERE!!!
Great ideas! Physically make a 400 star galaxy smaller than a 1000 star galaxy instead of just putting the stars closer together and I agree, make the hyperdrives slower so interstellar travel is much longer.

Huh?

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 11
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/25/2010 11:37:21 PM   
b0mber

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erio
I'd happily put the 100 star "tiny" galaxy on the 1400 star size area if I could just to slow things down...

My english isn't nearly perfect and maybe I haven't understood you, but the size of the galaxy is the same whether you play a 100 stars galaxy or a 1400 stars galaxy. A 1400 stars galaxy just have more star density per sector than a 100 stars map.

Therefore, changing the hyperdrives speed depending on the number of stars it's a great idea.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foraven
I think the biggest problem this game has is there is no drawbacks to colonization. If you can afford to send colonizers, there is no limits to how many worlds you can get (worlds cannot cost you to own, unlike games like Sword of the stars). Having colonies is much cheaper than having resupply ships and outpost starbases.

I feel the same and that's the reason why I'm trying planet quality at low now.

by3z!

(in reply to Erio)
Post #: 12
RE: Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) - 8/26/2010 1:32:05 AM   
Erio

Yeah, I found that out, unfortunately

(in reply to b0mber)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Slowing Down Ships (Making universe bigger) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI