Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about HQ units...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> Question about HQ units... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about HQ units... - 8/19/2010 4:18:52 PM   
chesire

Hi,

Still learning the ins and outs of the game and I'm currently in a random game against AI opponents. I was curious if anyone knew how many staff a battle HQ should have to provide a sufficient bonus to moral of surrounding troops. It doesn't seem like my units are getting much, if any advantage from nearby HQ units and I'm guessing my low staff (10 or 20) may have something to do wit it? Also, how many HQ units to people usually have on their front lines? I think I may be using too few (ie. 2 HQ's on each flank of my currently loooong front line).

Thanks!

-Chesire
Post #: 1
RE: Question about HQ units... - 8/19/2010 5:00:39 PM   
82ndtrooper

if you look at a unit it will tell you the the percentage of hq staff  and HQ power. the power is raised and lowered by how close the HQ is to the unit , I think anything over 4 hex you get no bonus.

HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80

(in reply to chesire)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about HQ units... - 8/19/2010 5:11:30 PM   
chesire

Thanks 82ndtrooper!   I also found your other post with links to some other helpful threads on HQ's that I hadn't seen before so reading up on those is giving me some good insight.   Lots to think about in this game... but so far it's been a real blast! :)

(in reply to 82ndtrooper)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about HQ units... - 8/19/2010 5:33:25 PM   
82ndtrooper

your welcome, and when you have practiced some and learned the game a little then jump into a PBEM game with us, thats where the real fun is at.

HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80

(in reply to chesire)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about HQ units... - 8/19/2010 8:06:10 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: chesire

Hi,

Still learning the ins and outs of the game and I'm currently in a random game against AI opponents. I was curious if anyone knew how many staff a battle HQ should have to provide a sufficient bonus to moral of surrounding troops. It doesn't seem like my units are getting much, if any advantage from nearby HQ units and I'm guessing my low staff (10 or 20) may have something to do wit it? Also, how many HQ units to people usually have on their front lines? I think I may be using too few (ie. 2 HQ's on each flank of my currently loooong front line).

Thanks!

-Chesire

There was some debate about how HQ's could best be used, some people prefer fewer HQ's because of ease of play and some, who play a lot of PBEM games, use combat HQ's close to the fighting units and supply HQ's in the main supply centers.

I tend to prefer the latter approach, I think it's more effective. You can load up the supply HQ's with transport and park them in the main supply centers, they can distribute production over long ranges via strategic transport to the combat HQ's who can then create the combat units or reenforce as necessary.

The longer your supply lines get, the more layers of HQ's you'll end up needing. Sometimes I use as much as 3 layers, with the HQ's cloest to the front as nothing more than morale boosters with no production or SFT creation roles. As the front expands outwards, I sometimes convert these into supply teir HQ's, especially if a nice fat and juicy production center is captured.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to chesire)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about HQ units... - 8/22/2010 9:06:34 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: 82ndtrooper

if you look at a unit it will tell you the the percentage of hq staff  and HQ power. the power is raised and lowered by how close the HQ is to the unit , I think anything over 4 hex you get no bonus.

82 is right, except that you will get a bonus over more than three hexes. Up to three hexes it's 100% bonus, four hexes is 80%, five hexes is 60%, six hexes is 40% and so on till zero procent bonus. But you can check this yourself on the HQ efficiency bonus on the unit counter (100%, 80% and so on).
Hq's are expensive to make so they're scarce in the beginning, but I tend to make one for every say 10 hexes front line, sometimes less, sometimes more, depends on how dangerous the enemy is there.
So just two HQ's for a loooong frontline is very very low, that'd be easily 10 or so. One HQ with say 6-10 subordinate units is, IMHO, a better strategy. More flexible. And a HQ can have up to 100 Staff or more (depending on how many units they have subordinate), so 10 or 20 seems a bit on the low side too.
Besides, if they are cut off, but their HQ is still within the pocket, the still draw supply from their HQ. That HQ will rapidly dun dry ofcourse, getting no more supply from the Supreme HQ (the original HQ you started the game with).

(in reply to 82ndtrooper)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about HQ units... - 8/23/2010 3:51:49 PM   
ehzorg

I try to avoid having my HQ units comprise more than 100 stack points, which usually equates to about 70 staff maximum, plus transportation / landcap units like trucks/trains/horses. If you go over 100 stack points, you're opening up yourself to greater damage if (when) they get hit by enemy airpower.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about HQ units... - 8/23/2010 7:10:08 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehzorg

I try to avoid having my HQ units comprise more than 100 stack points, which usually equates to about 70 staff maximum, plus transportation / landcap units like trucks/trains/horses. If you go over 100 stack points, you're opening up yourself to greater damage if (when) they get hit by enemy airpower.

Totally so. Unless you place a few well hidden Flak guns near it. Your opponent won't see it untill it's too late.

(in reply to ehzorg)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about HQ units... - 8/26/2010 3:03:01 AM   
Shambling Strider

Sometimes, I'm even putting some artillery guns and flak in HQ close from frontline. HQ are then used as supporting units.

War is patience.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> Question about HQ units... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI