Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Artillery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery - 8/24/2010 5:57:09 PM   
castor troy

Lots has been said about artillery and I sure have welcomed the change in the patch that reduced the nuclear artillery that used no notable amount of supplies (which probably was what has been really flawed) but what artillery is now is just as ridicoulos and saying that it now is ok is only flawed. Why? Because it sure isnīt. Another reason for it? Because the same that said itīs ok now, also said it was ok pre patch (being the total opposite - aka nuclear aritllery). How would that match? First: "white is right"... then: "black is right"... being a politician or what?

What it is now is really a pity result and canīt be taken serious. Having WITP results sure would be cool, amazing if you have to say something like that.

Ground combat at Darwin (76,124)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 49726 troops, 844 guns, 1582 vehicles, Assault Value = 2354

Defending force 40330 troops, 342 guns, 613 vehicles, Assault Value = 1343

Japanese ground losses:
62 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 4 (2 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
47 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 71 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 5 (3 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 110 (108 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Assaulting units:
1st Army Tank Regiment
2/11th Armoured Car Battalion
766th Tank Battalion
2/8th Armoured Regiment
2nd USMC Tank Battalion
3rd Motor Brigade
767th Tank Battalion
5th Australian Division
627th Tank Destroyer Battalion
637th Tank Destroyer Battalion
2nd Australian Division
193rd Tank Battalion
1st Australian Division
1st USMC Corps Tank Battalion
632nd Tank Destroyer Battalion
1st USMC Tank Battalion
754th Tank Battalion
2/6th Armoured Regiment
4th Australian Division
2/7th Armoured Regiment
2/4th Armoured Regiment
763rd Tank Battalion
762nd Tank Battalion
4th Armoured Brigade
3rd Australian Division
1st Motor Brigade
181st Field Artillery Regiment
I Australian Corps
III Australian Corps
2nd USMC Field Artillery Battalion
188th Field Artillery Regiment
70th Coast AA Regiment
183rd Field Artillery Regiment
205th Field Artillery Battalion
2nd Australian Army
2nd RAAF M/W Sqn
30th Field Artillery Regiment
94th Coast AA Regiment
1st Australian Army
4th Field Artillery Battalion
216th Coast AA Regiment
223rd Field Artillery Battalion
168th Field Artillery Regiment
226th Field Artillery Battalion
198th Coast AA Regiment
134th Field Artillery Battalion
114th USAAF Base Force
503rd Coast AA Regiment
148th Field Artillery Battalion
96th Coast AA Regiment
197th Coast AA Regiment
154th FA Bn
10th RAAF Base Force
II Australian Corps
16th RAAF Base Force
1st USMC Field Artillery Battalion
40th Field Artillery Regiment
198th Field Artillery Battalion
97th Field Artillery Battalion
249th Field Artillery Battalion
1st RAN Base Force
2nd RAN Base Force
13th Australian Hvy AA Regiment

Defending units:
3rd Tank Regiment
16th Division
54th Division
21st Division
8th Tank Regiment
18th Div /1
14th Tank Regiment
5th Div /1
11th JAAF Base Force
16th Army
16th AA Regiment
40th JNAF AF Unit /1
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Bn /3

one of the real stupid results... granted, this result sure isnīt the norm but itīs nevertheless totally stupid... fear the mighty COUNTERBOMBARDMENT of 3 Japanese divisions...

remember: AE is a game... AE is a game... AE is a game... WITP is a game... WITP is a game... AE is a game... AE is a game... Command and Conquer is a game...

< Message edited by castor troy -- 8/24/2010 6:31:34 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Artillery - 8/24/2010 6:11:11 PM   
Gobstopper

obviously they forgot to nerf counter-battery fire when they nerfed air and ground bombardment. against the AI you can use this to your advantage though. i was able to take chunking simply by moving a large stack with a bunch of artillery in and just let it sit for 6 months while the AI bombarded itself to death. :)

in anything but clear terrain, artillery no longer serves a purpose. it does work to hold zone of control though, so you can move it into the woods and not waste a useful unit while trying to encircle.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery - 8/24/2010 8:54:55 PM   
witpqs

Counter-battery fire could stand a peak at the code.

(in reply to Gobstopper)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery - 8/24/2010 10:23:26 PM   
Sredni

Your results seem buggy, 47 casualties should (in my experience) only be 3 or 4 disabled, and maby 1 or 2 destroyed (if you're unlucky). 1 squad, 71 non combat, 3 guns, and 108 vehicles destroyed should be way way way more then 47 casualties in the first line.

Post #: 4
RE: Artillery - 8/25/2010 12:40:50 AM   
awadley

At what point is the Base Hex Over-Stacked??  What is the penalty for over-stacking??

Gunner USMCR

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 5
RE: Artillery - 8/25/2010 12:41:40 AM   
awadley

Another thing what is the level of fort at the base and who has control of the base?

Gunner USMCR

(in reply to awadley)
Post #: 6
RE: Artillery - 8/25/2010 8:03:21 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

Your results seem buggy, 47 casualties should (in my experience) only be 3 or 4 disabled, and maby 1 or 2 destroyed (if you're unlucky). 1 squad, 71 non combat, 3 guns, and 108 vehicles destroyed should be way way way more then 47 casualties in the first line.

vehicles for example never show up as "casualties". Believe me, after looking at my units, I can asure you that this was a nuke. Now the next thing would be to think about "those vehicles were just motorized support". No, at least halve of the vehicles destroyed were tanks. Grants, Shermans, Stuarts...

Seems like thatīs the usual example of all units had a die roll to fire at all my units.

Just donīt use artillery, youīre better off then. Again, Iīm happy not to see the "all you need are three artillery btn to conquer the map" routine anymore, but saying itīs now working is the same as saying the Earth would be flat.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 8/25/2010 8:09:53 AM >

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 7
RE: Artillery - 8/25/2010 8:05:27 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: awadley

At what point is the Base Hex Over-Stacked??  What is the penalty for over-stacking??

Thatīs Darwin, you canīt overstack Darwin or any other hex on a non-island hex. The Japanese own the base but why would that matter? Have you noticed their "counterbattery fire"? And that counterfiring is independent of who owns what.

As a side note, people should note that probably 80%+ of all available US artillery units have been placed in this hex. Boy, artillery is soooo broken... The mighty Japanese divisional artillery took out a full tank unit if you count all these tanks together. But hey, a deliberate attack that has been tried with this "Panzerarmee" also saw hundreds of tanks knocked out by the Japanese that have been known as the number one anti tank Nation in the world. Have you ever heard about the Famous 8.8? The best anti tank weapon of the world at that time... Same as their famous Japanese Tiger tanks, they slice through my tank units like a hot knife through butter.

oh wait, were these German designs? And the Japanese were employing 37mm or 45mm pop guns?

< Message edited by castor troy -- 8/25/2010 8:09:03 AM >

(in reply to awadley)
Post #: 8
RE: Artillery - 8/25/2010 8:28:58 AM   
LoBaron

Wow CT you really like to cushion your attacks with devices.

Not related to whether this is buggy or not, with that a crowded place I guess a salvoe of arty shells explodes
a couple of dozen guns and tanks you stacked 4 storeys high.

Doesnt look like a well balanced force TBH.

Post #: 9
RE: Artillery - 8/25/2010 8:35:33 AM   
LoBaron

Btw: why on earth did you bombard with that unit composition?
Shock attack and get done with it.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 10
RE: Artillery - 8/25/2010 8:50:54 AM   
herwin

The vehicle casualties are very strange, writing as someone who used to do tactical OR analyses.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 11
RE: Artillery - 8/25/2010 10:52:12 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Btw: why on earth did you bombard with that unit composition?
Shock attack and get done with it.

Scherzkeks... really nice advice for sure. I did a deliberate attack and to avoid further nonsaying discussion Iīm not going to post the result against the tank killing Japanese Army. Guess itīs easier to "stack" this kind of Army in the open range around Darwin than what people usually put onto islands. But Iīm ok with you to think these results are ok, explains why our opinions on other things donīt match too.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 8/25/2010 10:53:25 AM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 12
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 2:42:32 AM   
AcePylut

Why would you conduct a bombardment attack with Tank units?

Post #: 13
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 3:20:43 AM   
vicberg

In my last PBEM, I did an experiment. I bombarded all chinese locations I was in contact with for weeks (3 at least). I was beating them soundly in the open, so they retreated into defendable terrain and I was taking high losses attacking them. Some places, I was in contact with only a division. Other places, it was multiple divisions plus 8-10 artillery regiments/brigades. The chinese were all stacked to keep me at bay and their stacking was higher than mine. This lasted weeks.

I had already taken Mandalay, so their supply from India was cut. I was hoping to cause disruption, errode their supply base, slow down any fort building, and follow up with attacks in the hopes of making some progress. I also attacked consistently with air bombings in various places, but that's not moot to this discussion.

After weeks of this, the only thing that happened is that I damaged myself more than my opponent and caused disruption to my troops from artillery bombardment. Consistently. Everywhere. 6+ different locations at least. After a few weeks of this, I asked my opponent if there were any effects at all on his troops and the answer was none. No disruption, no extra supply loss. Nothing. All I suceeded in doing was damaging and disrupting myself.

I'm going to avoid the historical/a-historical discussion about artillery. There's enough discussions about that. I can tell you that artillery as an independent weapon is useless and in many ways counterproductive. I don't know if this is what the devs intended.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 14
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 3:30:37 AM   
vicberg

quote:

You can't bombard with tank units. But they are in the hex and subject to counter-battery fire. It's the extreme losses of tank units that's in question. At a more base level, it's the artillery game mechanics. Gobstopper, I believe, has it right. They nerfed the artillery fire routines, but not the counter-battery artillery fire routines. Caster Troys numbers remind me of the death-star days

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 15
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 3:37:07 AM   
Sheytan

A 37 mm or 45 mm AT could take out a Sherman. A Stuart or anything lighter for sure. Why do you think they are incapable of destroying a Sherman?

There is alot of information available about gun types and armour penetration, you can look it all up on the interwebs and see for yourself what I stated is true. You perhaps are assuming the soldiers of the Emperor only fire at the frontal armour of the Sherman because they are trained to do so. That would be a incorrect assumption.

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: awadley

Thatīs Darwin, you canīt overstack Darwin or any other hex on a non-island hex. The Japanese own the base but why would that matter? Have you noticed their "counterbattery fire"? And that counterfiring is independent of who owns what.

As a side note, people should note that probably 80%+ of all available US artillery units have been placed in this hex. Boy, artillery is soooo broken... The mighty Japanese divisional artillery took out a full tank unit if you count all these tanks together. But hey, a deliberate attack that has been tried with this "Panzerarmee" also saw hundreds of tanks knocked out by the Japanese that have been known as the number one anti tank Nation in the world. Have you ever heard about the Famous 8.8? The best anti tank weapon of the world at that time... Same as their famous Japanese Tiger tanks, they slice through my tank units like a hot knife through butter.

oh wait, were these German designs? And the Japanese were employing 37mm or 45mm pop guns?

Post #: 16
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 6:49:20 AM   
Rainer79

quote:

Actually they even have some 32cm mortars at Darwin. I bet a hit from one of these would even impress a King Tiger.

Not that it makes the result any better.

Post #: 17
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 7:12:32 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: vicberg

quote:

You can't bombard with tank units. But they are in the hex and subject to counter-battery fire. It's the extreme losses of tank units that's in question. At a more base level, it's the artillery game mechanics. Gobstopper, I believe, has it right. They nerfed the artillery fire routines, but not the counter-battery artillery fire routines. Caster Troys numbers remind me of the death-star days

This is absolutely possible.

But with this weird stack you got nothing at hand for credible conclusions.

I BET that those weird results with stacks of doom happen also because CT neglects the "reserve" mode based on what his current intentions are.
I BET that those tanks were all on "defend" OP mode.
He ignores repeated comments on penalties to overstacking for ALL services (Land/Air/Naval) at the cost of diminishing returns.
We have not the slightest idea what the fort levels at Darwin are.
We have not the slightest idea on fatigue level of his troops.
He looks brutally anemic on infantry.
The Japanese troops on the other hand look like a quite balanced force.

So basically my conclusion when I read something like this is that its a single extreme example (and from the looks there are a LOT of extremes here) and Castor Troy uses
it to deliver a point that might or might not be correct, but which is for sure not proven with such a post.

Concidering all the above I can only shrug.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 18
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 7:17:02 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

who said I did that? I canīt even do that because they got no artillery. Only the units above with artillery conducted a bombardment.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 19
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 7:20:56 AM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I BET that those weird results with stacks of doom happen also because CT neglects the "reserve" mode based on what his current intentions are.
He ignores repeated comments on penalties to overstacking for ALL services (Land/Air/Naval) at the cost of diminishing returns.

So basically my conclusion when I read something like this is that its a single extreme example (and from the looks there are a LOT of extremes here) and Castor Troy uses
it to deliver a point that might or might not be correct, but which is for sure not proven with such a post.

being a member in the C&C forum too? With your fantasy you could also justify the results of that game. What you ignore is reality and even what you see because if itīs obvious that something is not working right you still obey the magic devs that say "itīs right" just to find out it was not wad... have we seen that already? Yes we have... perhaps you want to dig out these threads. Considering all the above I wonder why I even answer.

I wonder whatīs not clear to you, if most of the US artillery on the map opens up fire to do a bombardment and the "counterfire" (which magic counterfire are we talking about?) of a couple of Japanese units suddenly destroys more or less full tank units then you must be either total ignorant or drunk at 8:00 am to think thatīs correct. Iīm not arguing about the damage done by the ALLIED artillery, Iīm arguing about the counterfire. Open your eyes and turn on whatīs behind of them. All your funny "reasons" for the counterbombardment results sure are good. Very reasonable for sure. Heck, even better than the advise to shock attack.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 8/26/2010 7:26:37 AM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 20
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 7:34:13 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

being a member in the C&C forum too? With your fantasy you could also justify the results of that game. What you ignore is reality and even what you see because if itīs obvious that something is not working right you still obey the magic devs that say "itīs right" just to find out it was not wad... have we seen that already? Yes we have... perhaps you want to dig out these threads. Considering all the above I wonder why I even answer.

I wonder whatīs not clear to you, if most of the US artillery on the map opens up fire to do a bombardment and the "counterfire" (which magic counterfire are we talking about?) of a couple of Japanese units suddenly destroys more or less full tank units then you must be either total ignorant or drunk at 8:00 am to think thatīs correct. Iīm not arguing about the damage done by the ALLIED artillery, Iīm arguing about the counterfire. Open your eyes and turn on whatīs behind of them. All your funny "reasons" for the counterbombardment results sure are good. Very reasonable for sure. Heck, even better than the advise to shock attack.

Ah and before I forget:

We donīt even know it the destroyed vehicles are really tanks.
They could be eng vehicles or motorized support (although I am not sure if this counts as a vehicle) when I look at this troop composition...

Post #: 21
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 8:01:36 AM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah and before I forget:

They could be eng vehicles or motorized support (although I am not sure if this counts as a vehicle) when I look at this troop composition...

WE in terms of the rest of the forum of course doesnīt know that but I know. And yes, motorized support and eng vehicles do show up as vehicles destroyed. And no, not all of these "vehicles destroyed" were tanks but a rough guess would be 50%. Sorry that I didnīt count up every single tank every turn to compare it the next turn. Of course you would have to believe me in that aspect but I of course canīt expect that.

Again, Iīm not arguing about the effect of the side that actually DID the bombardment, Iīm not fine with that kind of magic COUNTERbombardment.

And yes, this is only one example once more and I also clearly stated in my op that this is NOT the norm. Not meaning that I would think the norm is ok, but surely the norm is more ok than this totally off result.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 8/26/2010 8:02:13 AM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 22
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 8:21:53 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah and before I forget:

WE in terms of the rest of the forum of course doesnīt know that but I know. And yes, motorized support and eng vehicles do show up as vehicles destroyed. And no, not all of these "vehicles destroyed" were tanks but a rough guess would be 50%. Sorry that I didnīt count up every single tank every turn to compare it the next turn. Of course you would have to believe me in that aspect but I of course canīt expect that.

Again, Iīm not arguing about the effect of the side that actually DID the bombardment, Iīm not fine with that kind of magic COUNTERbombardment.

And yes, this is only one example once more and I also clearly stated in my op that this is NOT the norm. Not meaning that I would think the norm is ok, but surely the norm is more ok than this totally off result.

So the rough guess is based on you actually looking at the number of vehicles in your units before and after the battle or
is it just a random value?

Just to explain my impression on this thread in case it was not clear:

Before:

Counterbattery might or might not be a bit faulty given the circumstances.

After:

Wow, this army composition looks like someone believes "balance of force" means adding a small stone as counterweight so the whole
thing does not topple over on first contact, and i need neither a brain nor do need to be sober to come to this conclusion.

Post #: 23
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 8:50:17 AM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah and before I forget:

So the rough guess is based on you actually looking at the number of vehicles in your units before and after the battle or
is it just a random value?

Before:

After:

Wow, this army composition looks like someone believes "balance of force" means adding a small stone as counterweight so the whole
thing does not topple over on first contact, and i need neither a brain nor do need to be sober to come to this conclusion.

what you never notice (true for the other discussion too) is that what you describe or can think of has nothing to do with what actually happened. You could also make an assumption about where my carriers were or the weather in Burma or if my 4E flew an attack against Rabaul. Force composition? Thatīs an argument if I would talk about a succesful or unsuccesful attack but we are NOT talking about an attack here. We are talking about two sides firing at each other with artillery. There were no infantry or tank attacks so your argument about composition of force totally misses the point. We had one STRONG artillery force ordered to do a bombardment and the bombarded WEAK force counterbombarded shredded the one that actually was dishing out dozens or hundreds of times more shells than the bombarded.

But hey, we both probably are happy with our thoughts, because Iīm sure you think that everything is ok when I say itīs not and vice versa. For me, that example is off.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 24
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 9:03:32 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

what you never notice (true for the other discussion too) is that what you describe or can think of has nothing to do with what actually happened. You could also make an assumption about where my carriers were or the weather in Burma or if my 4E flew an attack against Rabaul. Force composition? Thatīs an argument if I would talk about a succesful or unsuccesful attack but we are NOT talking about an attack here. We are talking about two sides firing at each other with artillery. There were no infantry or tank attacks so your argument about composition of force totally misses the point. We had one STRONG artillery force ordered to do a bombardment and the bombarded WEAK force counterbombarded shredded the one that actually was dishing out dozens or hundreds of times more shells than the bombarded.

But hey, we both probably are happy with our thoughts, because Iīm sure you think that everything is ok when I say itīs not and vice versa. For me, that example is off.

quote:

Before:

After:

CT DO you read and understand answers to your posts sometimes? Because it for sure does not leave the impression that you do.

Post #: 25
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 9:42:41 AM   
castor troy

I do, but despite your "before" and "after" statements I did not have the impression you could even think at something being wrong.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 26
RE: Artillery - 8/26/2010 4:33:02 PM   
SuluSea

If we were playing stratego I'd question the outcome but in this game so many other details go into the formula the determines the battle outcome-

Off the top of my head I'd say-
What are his leaders ratings?
What are the fort levels?
What is his supply situation?
What is your supply situation?
Have you done due diligence with your leaders, are they the best suited for the job?
I don't see combat engineers although I may have missed them.
What is the morale of your troops/his?
Have air assets prepped the battlefield?
Any ship to shore bombardments?
How many disabled troops do you have in your stack?

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 8/26/2010 4:49:30 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Post #: 27
RE: Artillery - 8/27/2010 6:29:29 PM   
pionkki

Just wanted to share different kind of results. Firing weapons: 2*80mm mortar

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 28
RE: Artillery - 8/27/2010 11:01:55 PM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: pionkki

Just wanted to share different kind of results. Firing weapons: 2*80mm mortar

1, Fog of War?
2. They will have to move the Saki shop a bit further back

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to pionkki)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Artillery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI