Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slightly off topic - New Midway movie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Slightly off topic - New Midway movie Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 3:54:51 PM   
Panther Bait

I've started to hear rumors that Warner Bros. is thinking about making a new Battle of Midway movie. I'm feeling a few butterflys in my stomach, but I'm not sure if those are the beginnings of fanboy excitement or nausea at how badly Hollyweird could screw this up.

My only hope for something decent is that one of the writers for The Pacific is supposedly involved.

My chief dread is that they are already boasting about it being in 3D.

Mike

P.S. Instead of retreading Midway, why couldn't they try something new, like Leyte Gulf.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard
Post #: 1
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:01:42 PM   
Puhis

Any rumors about Ben Affleck? He would be perfect Raymond Spruance.

Or maybe someone else, but he must be part of the film!

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 2
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:02:00 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Well the name Midway rings alot more bells than Leyte gulf for many people. Same with Stalingrad compared to Kursk for example.

Post #: 3
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:07:15 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

Any rumors about Ben Affleck? He would be perfect Raymond Spruance.

Or maybe someone else, but he must be part of the film!

Why not Jack Nicholson ? Imagine his hysterical laughter
On the other side...nothing wrong with Ben Affleck......absolute nothing *cackles*

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 4
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:21:47 PM   
janh

As long as it isn't another of those Hollywood romance disasters with a boyish actor and ignorance of realism like the last Pearl Habor movie...
It would be great if they'd finally pick something else than the battles covered already.  I would imagine Leyte Gulf, the Marinas or even better, Operation Watch Tower (focusing a bit on the naval actions) might be great for some intense story.

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 5
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:24:58 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

As long as it isn't another of those Hollywood romance disasters with a boyish actor and ignorance of realism like the last Pearl Habor movie...
It would be great if they'd finally pick something else than the battles covered already.  I would imagine Leyte Gulf, the Marinas or even better, Operation Watch Tower (focusing a bit on the naval actions) might be great for some intense story.

In that case I would suggest. THE SOLOMONS from Port Moresby to Guadalcanal.

I would have alot of fun with this one, alone in the cinema.^^

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 8/30/2010 4:25:38 PM >

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 6
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:25:36 PM   
Canoerebel

Midway would be ideal for an epic film if it was handled by the talented, creative people that put out Saving Private Ryan or Enemy at the Gates. (No, those movies weren't perfect, but they did their dead level best to portray the horror of war in a realistic and gripping way). But if the movie is handled by the shysters who put out crud like The Movie that Shall not be Named Now or Ever or Thin Red Line or Wind Talkers, well, we'll just have another movie that shall not be named.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 7
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:27:12 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Midway would be ideal for an epic film if it was handled by the talented, creative people that put out Saving Private Ryan or Enemy at the Gates. (No, those movies weren't perfect, but they did their dead level best to portray the horror of war in a realistic and gripping way). But if the movie is handled by the shysters who put out crud like The Movie that Shall not be Named Now or Ever or Thin Red Line or Wind Talkers, well, we'll just have another movie that shall not be named.

I managed to forget Windtalkers and now you reminded me of it. Thanks for that.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 8
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:41:00 PM   
Nemo121

Oh come on Windtalkers wasn't nearly as bad as The Movie That Shall Not Be Named.... We didn't get treated to scenes of WW2 US troops carrying M16s etc in WindTalkers whereas in TMTSNBN we had modern day Aegis ships being bombed by Kates and Vals * sigh*

The ONLY good thing with that movie when I saw it in the cinema was that when one of the main characters did finally die on-screen and a girl started crying the audience, rightly, mocked her and laughed. Ah, cynicism, thou warmest my cold, dead heart

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

Post #: 9
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:42:04 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I've started to hear rumors that Warner Bros. is thinking about making a new Battle of Midway movie. I'm feeling a few butterflys in my stomach, but I'm not sure if those are the beginnings of fanboy excitement or nausea at how badly Hollyweird could screw this up.

My only hope for something decent is that one of the writers for The Pacific is supposedly involved.

Mike

P.S. Instead of retreading Midway, why couldn't they try something new, like Leyte Gulf.

Knowing Hollywood, it will probably be a story about 2 young Ensigns who were boyhood friend and both falling in love with a Japanese girl who was put into an internment camp. One night the Ensigns realized that they were more then just "friends". The movie will have 1-1/2 hours about how the Ensigns deal with their personal issues, 15 minutes explaining the significants of "Midway", and 30 minutes of things blowing up.

"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange

Post #: 10
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:49:40 PM   
Canoerebel

Quick, Charbroiled, delete your comment before somebody in Hollywood reads it and gets ideas....

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 11
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 4:51:33 PM   
Nemo121

quote:

The movie will have 1-1/2 hours about how the Ensigns deal with their personal issues, 15 minutes explaining the significants of "Midway", and 30 minutes of things blowing up.

15 minutes explaining the significance of Midway? I think you give them too much credit. If the movie manages to teach them WW2 wasn't the US vs France I think we'll be bloody lucky.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 12
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 5:05:22 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

quote:

The movie will have 1-1/2 hours about how the Ensigns deal with their personal issues, 15 minutes explaining the significants of "Midway", and 30 minutes of things blowing up.

15 minutes explaining the significance of Midway? I think you give them too much credit. If the movie manages to teach them WW2 wasn't the US vs France I think we'll be bloody lucky.

Psst...The USAA did fight the French in WWII...

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 13
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 5:07:55 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

sigh...

[opens drawer, extracts wakizashi. Pens elaborate script on rice paper and opens up shirt...]

Post #: 14
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 5:08:40 PM   
janh

quote:

We didn't get treated to scenes of WW2 US troops carrying M16s etc in WindTalkers whereas in TMTSNBN we had modern day Aegis ships being bombed by Kates and Vals * sigh*

Really!??! This isn't the Di Caprio movie, is it? I have never seen it, the preview already appeared like a total failure. This would really be unspeakably bad...

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 15
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 5:09:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

quote:

Mike

Knowing Hollywood, it will probably be a story about 2 young Ensigns who were boyhood friend and both falling in love with a Japanese girl who was put into an internment camp. One night the Ensigns realized that they were more then just "friends". The movie will have 1-1/2 hours about how the Ensigns deal with their personal issues, 15 minutes explaining the significants of "Midway", and 30 minutes of things blowing up.

Remember that in the original Midway, if you will, the forbidden love affair between an interred Japanese civilian girl and the son of Charlton Heston's character....

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 16
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 6:20:14 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

And that was a good one.It didnt dominate the movie but was present, historicaly fiting and some kind of tragedy without being cheap.Nothing wrong with love stories if presented decent imo.It got me emotional attached to his son and I cared for him.Nothing ruins a movie more for me if there are characters introduced and I have no emotional conection to them. In that case better skip that crap and show me the U.S fleet slugging it out against the Japanese for 2 hours.

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 8/30/2010 6:28:13 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 6:24:13 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

Oh come on Windtalkers wasn't nearly as bad as The Movie That Shall Not Be Named.... We didn't get treated to scenes of WW2 US troops carrying M16s etc in WindTalkers whereas in TMTSNBN we had modern day Aegis ships being bombed by Kates and Vals * sigh*

The ONLY good thing with that movie when I saw it in the cinema was that when one of the main characters did finally die on-screen and a girl started crying the audience, rightly, mocked her and laughed. Ah, cynicism, thou warmest my cold, dead heart

The best thing in the movie was Nicholas Cage. His facial expressions where priceless and made me laugh hard.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 18
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 6:39:54 PM   
Saburo Kurusu

In my very humble opinion the best movie about WW2 in the Pacific still remains "Tora Tora Tora"....... If they really could deliver something of that quality....  *sigh* But I doubt it! I still curse the day I went into a movie theater, watching The Movie That Shall Not Be Named! A horrible experience, absolutely scary and disgusting! I should have sued them for compensation because I couldn't recover from it up until today........   

Post #: 19
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 6:42:57 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saburo Kurusu

In my very humble opinion the best movie about WW2 in the Pacific still remains "Tora Tora Tora"....... If they really could deliver something of that quality....  *sigh* But I doubt it! I still curse the day I went into a movie theater, watching The Movie That Shall Not Be Named! A horrible experience, absolutely scary and disgusting! I should have sued them for compensation because I couldn't recover from it up until today........   

A classic indeed. The nacked and the dead is also decent imo and of course operation peticoat

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 8/30/2010 6:43:22 PM >

(in reply to Saburo Kurusu)
Post #: 20
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 6:43:03 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Of course, in the other Midway movie, we did have Bf 109 and He 111 aircraft, and at least one angled-deck CV... not to mention other historical inaccuracies ...

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 21
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 6:43:33 PM   
pmelheck1

I think a movie about Midway would be great if it was about the battle and not with all the issues of a certain Disney war movie.  My big concern is how Hollywood depicts military folks.  A lot of movies made by Hollywood portray military folks and operations in a very negative light.  If the movie is about Midway rather than more attacks on the greatest generation that would be great.

Post #: 22
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:04:39 PM   
John Lansford

I remember coming out of the theater after watching TMTSNBN and thinking "they had decades to do it right, and we get this?".  Midway, IMO, doesn't need another movie; the one that we already remember is good enough.  Let's see the destroyers take on Kurita's force off of Leyte, or a movie on the saving of the Franklin, or perhaps the last cruise of the Houston and how her crew suffered as POW's.  How about a movie about the Aaron Ward and the ordeal she suffered from multiple kamikaze hits?  The voyage of the tanker Ohio to Malta would be a great movie IMO as well.

Nah, the know-nothings in Hollywood will go with something easy rather than try and actually inform people while entertaining them at the same time.

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 23
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:09:55 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

I can see the crowds already forming up in front of the cinemas, all want to see:

The voyage of the tanker Ohio to Malta
In 3d

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 24
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:11:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

I can see the crowds already forming up in front of the cinemas, all want to see:

In 3d

But those fuel hoses. My God, man (erm-woman), they're COMING RIGHT OUT OF THE SCREEN! Wow!

Post #: 25
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:13:19 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

In 3d

But those fuel hoses. My God, man (erm-woman), they're COMING RIGHT OUT OF THE SCREEN! Wow!

I know what the Japanese audience wants to happen next *snickers*

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 26
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:14:53 PM   
Cribtop

Our only hope is that HBO decides to do something more after the success of BoB and The Pacific. Hollywood will screw up Midway and doesn't know the other battles mentioned even happened.

Post #: 27
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:15:34 PM   
tocaff

If time is money then how can you expect to have Hollywood spend time doing research on a historical subject?  Besides there aren't to many of the guys left who would be decent consultants.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

Post #: 28
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:21:44 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

If time is money then how can you expect to have Hollywood spend time doing research on a historical subject?  Besides there aren't to many of the guys left who would be decent consultants.

Let me phrase is that way. How much research is needed for not puting M-16s into a ww2 movie ? Or having those Japanese planes in the right colour ? I dont expect it to be perfect and a nerd fest but at least somehow belivable.Those M-16 where insults of lazyness and expected stupidity of the audience.

Well on the other side my friend thought I am nuts when I said after watching Private Ryan "Hey, those werent Panthers, infact those where self propeled artillery pieces"

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 8/30/2010 7:23:37 PM >

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 29
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:29:06 PM   
The Gnome

I am cringing at the thought of Sylvester Stalone playing Fletcher, flying his P-51D off of the Nimitz to fight the japanese himself, bails out into the midst of the Japanese and procedes to singlehandedly defeat them all shirtless, with an M-60 and hand grenades.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Slightly off topic - New Midway movie Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI