Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WWI-WWII Naval War Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WWI-WWII Naval War Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 8/31/2010 3:33:51 PM   
dfinan

Anyone know a good current computer game for surface Naval ship combat in WWI to WWII. There was an old computer game called Great Naval Battles from SSI. I would love to see that redone and updated, or maybe take an old Board game like Task Forces Battlewagons and convert it into a computer game.
Post #: 1
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 8/31/2010 3:42:40 PM   
NefariousKoel

HPS has it's "Naval Campaigns" series. I've not played them.

http://www.hpssims.com/

NWS has it's own systems you may check out. They have demos, too.

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/nawasi.html

(in reply to dfinan)
Post #: 2
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 8/31/2010 3:57:13 PM   
Nebogipfel

Hi dfinan,

try this one: WARSHIP COMBAT : NAVIES AT WAR from NWS

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 3
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 8/31/2010 5:01:01 PM   
Hertston

Storm Eagle's Jutland, if you can live with the DRM; research that before buying. There is a demo to try.

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 4
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/1/2010 1:34:56 AM   
jomni

I think Warship Combat fits the bill

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/1/2010 3:46:12 AM   
Phatguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

HPS has it's "Naval Campaigns" series. I've not played them.

http://www.hpssims.com/

NWS has it's own systems you may check out. They have demos, too.

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/nawasi.html

I see no demos

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 6
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/1/2010 5:04:27 AM   
Fallschirmjager

WW I naval combat really needs a champion right now. It is a unexploited gold mine. The HPS games are terribly simple and not very good.
Jutland is ok but is fatally flawed by giving you too much to command at one time which makes the game completely unwieldy. Add to that a terrible control system and you have a game with promised but it's core gameplay is so flawed as to make it unplayable.

What the industry really needs is a WW 1 game using the WITP engine set in the North Sea and Med. The era of dreadnoughts and battle cruisers and armored cruisers is almost completely untapped.
I would pay $70 with almost no questions asked.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 7
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/1/2010 6:09:46 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
What the industry really needs is a WW 1 game using the WITP engine set in the North Sea and Med.

Too bad War Plan Orange is set in the Pacific.
Was Naval Combat in WWI significant enough to win the war?

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 8
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/1/2010 6:18:53 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

quote:

What the industry really needs is a WW 1 game using the WITP engine set in the North Sea and Med.

Too bad War Plan Orange is set in the Pacific.
Was Naval Combat in WWI significant enough to win the war?

WPO is fantastic but was always a game that was secondary and once AE was announced was doomed.
Matrix needs to develop a AAA WW1 naval title and promote it as one of their showcase games. I think the game would be both a commercial and critical success.

As to your question. It was said of Jellicoe that he was the only man on either side who could have lost the war in an afternoon.

You can also look at the sheer massive amount of material, money, time and effort placed into programs between 1880-1914 under England, Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Russia and the United States and even nations like Greece, Turkey and Brazil.
There were naval races happening all over the world and massive progressions in technology and massive build ups in navies in terms of numbers of ships.

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 9/1/2010 6:33:42 AM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 9
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/1/2010 9:59:56 AM   
Lützow

quote:

You can also look at the sheer massive amount of material, money, time and effort placed into programs between 1880-1914 under England, Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Russia and the United States and even nations like Greece, Turkey and Brazil.
There were naval races happening all over the world and massive progressions in technology and massive build ups in navies in terms of numbers of ships.

Nobody could have stand against the UK royal navy. World wars in Europe were all about land warfare and that's why we won't see anything on a strategic/operational level, but featuring single battles like Jutland. A WW1 naval game with chances to win for both sides, which is crucial for multiplayer, would be pure fantasy and hence not fun.

Post #: 10
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/1/2010 5:19:18 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

Sorry.. that's just the order page. There is a link on NWS' Yahoo store that will take you to their site with more detailed info and links such as the demo. There should be a link at the bottom of each of those title's pages on the one I listed. Just click on them.
I see no demos

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 9/1/2010 5:20:04 PM >

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 11
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/2/2010 12:54:40 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

Nobody could have stand against the UK royal navy. World wars in Europe were all about land warfare and that's why we won't see anything on a strategic/operational level, but featuring single battles like Jutland. A WW1 naval game with chances to win for both sides, which is crucial for multiplayer, would be pure fantasy and hence not fun.

The Naval war was closer in August 1914 than at the time of Jutland in terms of numbers of ships. The Royal Navy added many times more ships during the war than did the Germans and outright stole two ships from the Turks to give them even greater numbers.
And the German strategy of the time was to pare down the RN's strength through the use of the naval mine and the submarine. It also came close a few times to isolating parts of the Grand Fleet and engaging it.
A game based on this would be extremely fun. The strategy itself if played out a few hundred times could realistically work enough times for it to make a fun and historically plausible game.

And WITP is in no way balanced. The Allies after 12 months have an overwhelming advantage but there are still hundreds of PBEMs played. So I don't think many people share your sentiments or opinions.
Finally there could be some alternate scenarios that did not devolve into pure fantasy that would also be fun.
The game would be a commercial success. Of that I have no doubt as long as the game was done well and properly marketed.

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 9/2/2010 12:56:21 AM >

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 12
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/2/2010 6:22:08 AM   
dogma

I believe I ran across pacific war at armchair forums..Great game

Post #: 13
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/2/2010 6:27:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

......and outright stole two ships from the Turks to give them even greater numbers.

Warspite

Is that right? Had the Turkish Government paid for them, only for the Admiralty to take them over without re-imbursing the Turks? Or did the UK pay for the, as then, incomplete vessels?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/2/2010 6:39:40 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 14
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/2/2010 6:43:55 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

......and outright stole two ships from the Turks to give them even greater numbers.

Warspite

Is that right? Had they paid for them and the Admiralty took them over without re-imbursing the Turks?

Two ships. Renamed Agincourt and Erin. Seized by the British after the war started. (Their Turkish crews were already there to take delivery.) Turks never got the money back. Both were ordered first by Brazil, who backed out, and then bought by the Turks.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 9/2/2010 6:46:21 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/2/2010 7:04:14 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

quote:

Warspite

Is that right? Had they paid for them and the Admiralty took them over without re-imbursing the Turks?

Two ships. Renamed Agincourt and Erin. Seized by the British after the war started. (Their Turkish crews were already there to take delivery.) Turks never got the money back. Both were ordered first by Brazil, who backed out, and then bought by the Turks.

Warspite1

Yes, and given Turkey's ultimate decision to join the Central Powers, a sensible decision. The RN could not afford these ships to be used against them.

No doubt actions like these could be said to have helped push the Turks toward Germany, so paying for the ships - as the British did with Chile and the Latorre and Cochrane - might have been the better course of action.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/2/2010 7:22:46 AM >

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 16
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/2/2010 8:35:00 AM   
SireChaos

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite

Warspite1

Yes, and given Turkey's ultimate decision to join the Central Powers, a sensible decision. The RN could not afford these ships to be used against them.

No doubt actions like these could be said to have helped push the Turks toward Germany, so paying for the ships - as the British did with Chile and the Latorre and Cochrane - might have been the better course of action.....

Ask yourself... had the British not stolen these ships, would the Turks ever have joined the Central Powers?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 17
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/2/2010 4:57:54 PM   
Aurelian

There really isn't any way to know for sure which way they would of gone. However, the Turkish military was divided on which way to go. Their navy was pro British, while the army was pro German.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 18
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/2/2010 8:27:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite

Warspite1

Ask yourself... had the British not stolen these ships, would the Turks ever have joined the Central Powers?

Warspite1

Sirechaos - I clearly did ask the question - hence my response

You have clearly made up your mind - it does not mean you are right........

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/2/2010 8:38:32 PM >

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 19
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 9/2/2010 9:03:27 PM   
hellfirejet

quote:

WW I naval combat really needs a champion right now. It is a unexploited gold mine. The HPS games are terribly simple and not very good.
Jutland is ok but is fatally flawed by giving you too much to command at one time which makes the game completely unwieldy. Add to that a terrible control system and you have a game with promised but it's core gameplay is so flawed as to make it unplayable.

What the industry really needs is a WW 1 game using the WITP engine set in the North Sea and Med. The era of dreadnoughts and battle cruisers and armored cruisers is almost completely untapped.
I would pay $70 with almost no questions asked.

I'm in total agreement with that,the closest game for WW1 naval is War Plan Orange,but unfortunately I had to add Germanys High seas fleet to it my self using the editor,I have also added all of Britains Pre-Dreadnoughts,Battlecruisers,Armoured cruisers + a load off French,Italian etc,I just wish they would do an Admirals Edition!

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Post #: 20
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/21/2011 12:14:14 PM   
redcoat

Steam and Iron looks like a promising WW1 naval game.

Link

Screenshot zip pack

It won’t be out until January though. I will have spent all my Chrimbo games money at the Matrix sale by then.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to hellfirejet)
Post #: 21
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/21/2011 3:59:33 PM   
SuluSea

I was hoping for a resurrection of Carrier Force a game which looked to have much promise. I'm in search of a quality naval game as well, since we have a plethora of land base games much of them rehashing the same subject matter.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 22
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/21/2011 4:20:22 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

I was hoping for a resurrection of Carrier Force a game which looked to have much promise. I'm in search of a quality naval game as well, since we have a plethora of land base games much of them rehashing the same subject matter.

+1
If I could take a year off I'd code the damn thing myself in C#. Or if Matrix / GG released the code they put together, then maybe a quoram of likeminded ppl could get it done.

I don't have this as it's not a digital download http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/NavCamp/Midway/midway.html but would like to try it.

Cheers

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 23
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/21/2011 5:51:13 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

Steam and Iron looks like a promising WW1 naval game.

Link

Screenshot zip pack

It won’t be out until January though. I will have spent all my Chrimbo games money at the Matrix sale by then.

I don't think "looks" is a good word.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 24
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/22/2011 1:18:22 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

It won’t be out until January though.

Of 1995?

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 25
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/22/2011 5:43:03 AM   
Perturabo

More like 1985, am I right?

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

Post #: 26
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/22/2011 11:04:08 AM   
Perturabo

What's so good about Warship Combat?

Post #: 27
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/24/2011 4:23:13 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

+1
If I could take a year off I'd code the damn thing myself in C#. Or if Matrix / GG released the code they put together, then maybe a quoram of likeminded ppl could get it done.

I don't have this as it's not a digital download http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/NavCamp/Midway/midway.html but would like to try it.

Cheers

I'm very surprised Matrix haven't canvassed the forum looking for people to carry the torch where the previous folks left off as there are some talented people hanging around. Maybe they have and we haven't heard about it.

FWIW, NWS has Midway for a much better price, I've dealt with them before and haven't been disapointed in their operation.

Have a good day my friend!

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 11/24/2011 4:28:46 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 28
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/24/2011 5:10:29 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Cheers

HPS Midway is a great little game. It's got a lot more flavor to it than Carriers at War, and plays well MP. It could use some polish, though. For instance, there's no AI for friendly subs. If a player has one in his OOB, he has to micromanage its every action. That said, HPS has a long history of updating/supporting its games, so there's still hope that items like that can be remedied. And I probably ought to mention the publisher's Guadalcanal game that was upgraded to the Midway standard with the release of patch 1.07. Scenarios cover everything from Java Strait to the Leyte Gulf actions. Between the two titles, there are certainly a lot of gaming hours to be had.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WWI-WWII Naval War Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI