Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WaW special (elite) unit modifier?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> WaW special (elite) unit modifier? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WaW special (elite) unit modifier? - 9/4/2010 7:37:50 PM   
Mongolia Jones

Hello everyone, I am new to AT and having a blast with the game.

A few questions about SS/Siberians
1. Does the current counter strength take into account the 20% combat bonus?
2. Does the AI take the 20% strength bonus into consideration when making decisions?
2. In the peoplegroup modifiers there is a BatFor=1.2 and BatVS=1.2. Doesn't that mean that there is a total of a 44% (1.2 x 1.2) combat bonus?

Mongolia
Post #: 1
RE: WaW special (elite) unit modifier? - 9/4/2010 7:56:05 PM   
ernieschwitz

I believe the game takes it into account when showing the numbers. As for the AIs decision process, i think it does take it into account...

(in reply to Mongolia Jones)
Post #: 2
RE: WaW special (elite) unit modifier? - 9/4/2010 8:14:02 PM   
explorer2

Mongolia Jones-
I'm not entirely certain of this, but . . .
1. I'm prettty sure it does.
2. I"m pretty sure it does.
3. I'm pretty sure it does not work that way, as far as I have been able to tell.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3
RE: WaW special (elite) unit modifier? - 9/4/2010 8:45:21 PM   
Mongolia Jones

Thanks for the quick replies.

explorer2, if you were to keep the BatFor=1.2 and reset all the other BatVS=1.0 what would be the difference compared to both at 1.2?

Also, I noticed that you altered a number of the units to more reflect the time period (such as sub attack values, etc.). I was wondering how do you determine how do you determine the new power point value of the altered unit.

For example, the sub in a stock game is weak and the point value on the counter reflects this. In the WaW_U4 mod subs are MUCH more lethal. By keeping the power points the same the AI will be fooled into attacking a now modded more powerful unit which is not accurately reflected in the counter strength.

I noticed this when I left my subs sitting in the north sea by mistake and the AI attacked me on its turn and had suffered large losses.

I then attacked the surviving AI ships on my turn with what seemed a relatively weak sub force (by what was shown on the counter) vs a superior AI naval fleet and again sunk a few ships without any losses.

BTW, great work on the mod, 6 hours of play time feels like a mere 15 minutes. I haven't had this much fun in a long time.

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 4
RE: WaW special (elite) unit modifier? - 9/5/2010 12:26:04 AM   
Mongolia Jones

I did a quick test....

I ran a few tests and it seems that the BatFor=1.2 (not the BatVS=1.2) is responsible for changing the overall combat power of a unit. Such a change is reflected in the power rating on the unit.

So, to put it into layman terms, the SS fight specifically better when controlled by the Germans [BatFor=1.2] by 20% due to their love of country, they drank the koolaid, etc.

Then on top of the inherent 20% combat bonus the SS fight better against the Russians [BatVS=1.2] by 20% (for a grand total of 44%) due to their hatred, inferiority, etc, of the Russian scum.

The same can be said for all other nationalities that are set at BatVS=1.2.

< Message edited by Mongolia Jones -- 9/5/2010 12:27:25 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: WaW special (elite) unit modifier? - 9/5/2010 4:10:46 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Intersting.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 6
RE: WaW special (elite) unit modifier? - 9/13/2010 2:21:54 PM   
82ndtrooper

does that go for the Siberians against the Germans also ?

HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 7
RE: WaW special (elite) unit modifier? - 9/15/2010 9:49:14 PM   
cveta

Explorer please coment this. It may have a huge effect on WAW games

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups

(in reply to 82ndtrooper)
Post #: 8
RE: WaW special (elite) unit modifier? - 9/16/2010 4:43:08 PM   
explorer2

The modifier for SS vs. x people is the same for vs. all opponents. It is not more for vs. Soviets than anybody else. Same for Siberians.
Whether the very complex combat algortihms make the total bonus 140% or just 120% I honestly don't know.

THe algorithm doesn't work as a straight formula, because each factor, (readiness, strength, terrain, etc... all have differing weights and placements in the overall calculations. I don't have these memorized, and they're hard coded, not able to be modified.
For a player what this means is that doing a simple calculation that a SS unit should be 120% (or 140%) stronger than the exact same opponent's unit doesn't actually calculate out that way precisely. Add in the random variable, and you find that yes, of course a unit with 120% bonus is stronger than one without it, always, but how much stronger in any particular battle cannot be precisely calculated.
That's one reason we sometimes get very unexpected results.

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> WaW special (elite) unit modifier? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI