Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:36:59 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

morning gents...slightley off topic (even by thread standards!), but who plans to watch the Saints v. Vikes tonight? i'm tempted to take the points...

I'll try to catch the second half, after I return from Karate. I'm certainly not a Vikings fan and I think the Saints (esp at home) have the edge. What's the line?

Sports teams of some category? I know Saints are Southampton, but who are the Vikings? A Danish team? Why are the Americans watching a European football match between a Danish team and a load of Southerners?

American football teams include the Minnesota Vikings (that part of the country was inhabited by Scandanavians) and the New Orleans Saints (From their theme song, "When the Saints go Marching in"). Like you didn't know! But some other Euro's might not.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 841
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:37:32 PM   
AW1Steve

Tithe....an a UNP!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 842
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:37:48 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

morning gents...slightley off topic (even by thread standards!), but who plans to watch the Saints v. Vikes tonight? i'm tempted to take the points...

I'll try to catch the second half, after I return from Karate. I'm certainly not a Vikings fan and I think the Saints (esp at home) have the edge. What's the line?

Sports teams of some category? I know Saints are Southampton, but who are the Vikings? A Danish team? Why are the Americans watching a European football match between a Danish team and a load of Southerners?

No, I thought the Vikings were more English. It's my understanding that most of them (English) descended from Vikings anyways. The Saints are clearly affiliated with the RC church, so are from Vatican City. You should see their headgear!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 843
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:38:28 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

On the 100th day of a sub patrol it all tastes like dog ears in mud.

Just out of curiosity. How do you know what dog ears and mud taste like?

You've never had a run ashore in Plymouth.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 844
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:40:45 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, I thought the Vikings were more English. It's my understanding that most of them (English) descended from Vikings anyways. The Saints are clearly affiliated with the RC church, so are from Vatican City. You should see their headgear!

No, the English were conquered by the Vikings. Till a Norman (Frenchman?) drove them out and took over. So the English are Scandanavian, French and American (from the last invasion-1942 to 1945).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 845
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:41:38 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

On the 100th day of a sub patrol it all tastes like dog ears in mud.

Just out of curiosity. How do you know what dog ears and mud taste like?

You've never had a run ashore in Plymouth.

No , but I've seen the RN ashore in Jacksonville (Mayport) and what they eat!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 846
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:45:58 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

I'll probably have the game on, as I'm a very casual Vikings fan from my time in MN, but I was thinking less than 10 minutes ago that all the start of the football season really means to me is that I have to check my fantasy team lineup.... and that NHL training camps start in 8 days.

LOL! I have four fantasy lineups to check each week this season...glutton for punishment and all...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 847
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:46:01 PM   
Grollub

quote:

quote:

quote:

They must mean the Solna Vikings, the current Swedish american football champions ... but why would they play Southampton in a soccer game ???

I'm as confused as you ...

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 848
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:48:28 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

i'm a huge homer for the Vikes...last year was gut wrenching...first the hated Favre comes aboard...once i realize this old retiring fart can still play, they lose a heart breaker in the NFC championship game to the Saints...so tonight has some real significance...to me anyways...

the line is Saints by 5...i think i take the points...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 849
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:48:52 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

quote:

quote:

quote:

They must mean the Solna Vikings, the current Swedish american football champions ... but why would they play Southampton in a soccer game ???

Sympathy for them , perhaps? While most Euro's laugh at Americans playing soccer, they should consider this. Americans are generally better at European football then Europeans are at American!

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 850
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:49:51 PM   
Grollub

Sadly, I won't argue that ...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 851
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:51:10 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

quote:

<sigh> i guess i figure if all the soccer (football) stuff is in here during the world cup, then a little american football stuff can't hurt, right?

PS - New Orlean Saints versus Minnesota Vikings of the american NFL (National Football League)...tonight is season opener...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 852
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:52:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sympathy for them , perhaps? While most Euro's laugh at Americans playing soccer, they should consider this. Americans are generally better at European football then Europeans are at American!

You know, Steve-you just gave me some devilish ideas there...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 853
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 6:59:07 PM   
AW1Steve

Actually I saw that happen when I was a student in the UK. I sort of played at soccer. But when some of the "jocks" laughed, and did the usual "American football is just rugby with pads" crap, one of the Brit students had been on exchange to the USA the year before and had an American pigskin. So a few of us "Yanks" offered to "enlighten" our British colleagues and offered to play "without pads". All except the former exchange student. He insisted on helping the "Yanks". They were one short you understand.

It was a very educational experience for our British friends. Starting with them trying to throw the ball. (And of course, we didn't want to embarrass them by telling them the secret!).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 854
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 7:08:30 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

Actually I saw that happen when I was a student in the UK. I sort of played at soccer. But when some of the "jocks" laughed, and did the usual "American football is just rugby with pads" crap, one of the Brit students had been on exchange to the USA the year before and had an American pigskin. So a few of us "Yanks" offered to "enlighten" our British colleagues and offered to play "without pads". All except the former exchange student. He insisted on helping the "Yanks". They were one short you understand.

It was a very educational experience for our British friends. Starting with them trying to throw the ball. (And of course, we didn't want to embarrass them by telling them the secret!).

from the Wiki...

First Foward Pass in Football
Eddie Cochem, the Saint Louis University coach, was the first to use the forward pass in 1906. It wasn't legalized in the NFL until 1933.

Here is more input:

No one really knows when exactly the first forward pass was implemented in an actual game, but most historians do agree that in 1873 represenatives from Yale, Princeton, and Rutgers met to discuss formulating rules for this new game of football. The new rules consisted of reducing the number of men on the field from fifteen to eleven. Adding a fourth down before surrenduring the ball. Tackling below the waist was allowed. And lastly, the forward pass was legalized behind the line of scrimmage. The NFL/AFL merger did not happen untill 1970. But by then the forward pass was an intricate part of the game.

so given the Brits (English?) propensity to stay a little behind the times, your story doesn't surprise me!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 855
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 7:49:54 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

<sigh> i guess i figure if all the soccer (football) stuff is in here during the world cup, then a little american football stuff can't hurt, right?

PS - New Orlean Saints versus Minnesota Vikings of the american NFL (National Football League)...tonight is season opener...

Looks like Dixie has another one on the line.....

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 856
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 8:08:21 PM   
Grollub

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't take it so hard Kwik E. Poking fun at our over-the-pond neighbours at their obsession with american football is just a non-serious pastime.

To answer your original question - If there were some Swedish TV Channel airing the game I would watch, as I love immersing myself in a good NFL game.

Post #: 857
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 8:53:02 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Kinda wish they'd run the broadcast bleeping Favre's name. I think it would be original as well as keeping me from looking for Neil Young's Harvest cd and razor blades.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 858
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:02:40 PM   
sprior

quote:

No, the English were conquered by the Vikings. Till a Norman (Frenchman?) drove them out and took over. So the English are Scandanavian, French and American (from the last invasion-1942 to 1945).

Kill me now

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 859
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:04:39 PM   
sprior

quote:

No , but I've seen the RN ashore in Jacksonville (Mayport) and what they eat!

It's whatever they serve up in Jacksonville.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 860
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:09:14 PM   
sprior

quote:

First were the Picts, then the Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Normans (who were descended from the Norse, hence Nor-), then some Huguenots, A Dutchman, a German, then the West Indians, the Ugandan Asians, other Asians and them some Hong Kong Chinese.

And you thought America wa made up of immigrants.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 861
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:11:25 PM   
sprior

quote:

intricate part of the game.

Good old wiki. Do they mean integral?

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 862
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:25:46 PM   
Walloc

quote:

Normans are actually decendants of Vikings too. Nor(d)man = North man in danish. Vikings settled in Normandy, and got called normans as they kinda came from up north. Sadly this means norwegieans are called northmen(nordmænd) in danish too, but then life isnt perfect. Hope Terje doesnt read this.... Any how he is prolly still drunk along with the rest of them. Winning over Portugal tuesday in soccer, get the better of them fast. Guess 1000 years of national wide low self esteem kinda have that effect on ppl. Since its only 700 years of continues defeats to DK we still got a bit before we get hit by the full brunt of that effect.
Said in short during the 800-1100 brits got ****ed over by vikings in different disguises, but ok we can call normans french as they kinda came from there as of todays borders.
No sure how ill convience u that americans are in reality vikings too... other than Erik the Red actually discovered it way before Colombus. This is the danish national past time btw, trying to convience every body they in reality are danes and it would be a much better world if ppl just recogniese that!

Any how ill cheer against the vikings in 4 hours time, on the telly. Ahh football season is on, this is life.

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 9/9/2010 9:28:43 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 863
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:26:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

First were the Picts, then the Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Normans (who were descended from the Norse, hence Nor-), then some Huguenots, A Dutchman, a German, then the West Indians, the Ugandan Asians, other Asians and them some Hong Kong Chinese.

Wow! I hadn't realized how many times you chaps were conquered. Trying to give Sicily a run for the money then?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 864
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:33:40 PM   
sprior

Everyone up to and including William the Bastard were gate-crashers. Eveyone else had an invitation.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 865
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:35:07 PM   
Dixie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow! I hadn't realized how many times you chaps were conquered. Trying to give Sicily a run for the money then?

I'm technically 3/4 Celtic I suppose (1/4 Cornish, 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 Welsh [], 1/4 English). But until there's a Celtic international (not that rabble from Glasgow before anyone says anything) team I'm English

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 866
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:35:54 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Looks like Dixie has another one on the line.....

Teasing Americans is fun

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 867
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 9:42:34 PM   
sprior

And easy!

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 868
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 10:11:38 PM   
AW1Steve

Almost as easy a Brits!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 869
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 9/9/2010 10:14:23 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI