Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

radar detection bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> radar detection bug Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
radar detection bug - 9/6/2010 7:24:23 PM   
Sly

After last patch (july 2010) ground radars looks crippeld.
I play Grand Campaign (scen.1) H2H about 60 turns august -september 1942.
None of allied ground radars british or usa can detected any raid.
Raids are spotted, not detected. I now about experience test of early radars but any radar after 60 turns??? Naval radars - air search radar on allies ships - works good, so any detection of raids in my game make this radars. Can someone confirm this?? Please test it.
Post #: 1
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 4:46:57 AM   
topeverest

I went back and checked a bunch of old combat reports. I am PBEM Aug 42 Patch g. In all I checked the report says spotted not detected. I dont know if that is indicitive of an issue, or that merely is the current language. many of the air raids I randomly checked were detected up to 44 miles away. can't tell if we are WAD on this or not.

Andy M

(in reply to Sly)
Post #: 2
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 7:34:09 AM   
castor troy

I´m in 7/43 now in my PBEM and neither the Japanese nor the Allied land based radar has ever detected something, no matter if it´s a 100 4E bomber strike or a 50 fighter sweep. Pre warning times for the airstrikes usually is 5-10 min for both sides. It doesn´t matter how many radar sets we stack into a base, nothing gets ever detected, therefore usually 70% of your fighters are sitting idle on the ground. I´m currently fighting with 400 fighters at a base and get something like 75 into the air while having a dozen Improved CH radar at the base. US land based radar is no different.

Seaborne radar so far always worked as these sets seem to never fail while land based radar always fails. Seems a bit strange to see land based radar failing all the time in my PBEM so I can definetely support the original poster.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 3
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 12:08:18 PM   
michaelm75au

I think that this might be a logic fall-thru.

Land radar is checked first and then visual check. I am guessing that after the radar it is doing the visual check overriding the radar 'detect' flag.

This was raised in Dev Forum recently too, but it looked okay. But looks can be deceiving.

Michael

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 4
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 12:49:00 PM   
witpqs

That's a big one! Thanks.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 5
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 4:05:56 PM   
Sly

No doubt there is a bug. Players like Castor Troy nows what it means. Ohers - trust me its big issu.
So Castor - You are the one who resolved pre-cap flak bug. Is where any way  to  attention  WitP Air Team  to  resolve this problem???

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 4:20:36 PM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sly

No doubt there is a bug. Players like Castor Troy nows what it means. Ohers - trust me its big issu.
So Castor - You are the one who resolved pre-cap flak bug. Is where any way  to  attention  WitP Air Team  to  resolve this problem???

I refer you to the posting 3 back.

Michael

(in reply to Sly)
Post #: 7
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 4:21:41 PM   
Omat

quote:

Is where any way  to  attention  WitP Air Team  to  resolve this problem???

michaelm posted here in this thread .... he ìs from the WitP AE Air Team and did some programming...

< Message edited by Omat -- 9/7/2010 4:22:10 PM >

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell

(in reply to Sly)
Post #: 8
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 5:20:17 PM   
Sly

Ok, now i know who is Michael. Lets wait. Greetings

(in reply to Omat)
Post #: 9
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 11:11:40 PM   
SuluSea

Micheal any chance a hot fix is coming for this? Thanks for the continuing work on this game!

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Sly)
Post #: 10
RE: radar detection bug - 9/7/2010 11:45:34 PM   
Lecivius

FWIW, this may be a transient error.  I'm playing Scen 2 v AI June '43, my last 8 saved turns all show at least 1 Raid Detected By Radar in the combat logs.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 11
RE: radar detection bug - 9/8/2010 2:14:07 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Micheal any chance a hot fix is coming for this? Thanks for the continuing work on this game!

There are others - like the Attack Bombers not bombing (strafe only) until next patch. Maybe a hotfix for just the radar isn't such a good idea.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 12
RE: radar detection bug - 9/8/2010 2:17:35 AM   
CapAndGown

Hmm. I was wondering why my radar was not spotting raids earlier. Pre-patch I was getting spots as far as 120 NM away using Ta-Chi 7 radars. Since the patch, I have never had a spot further than 40 NM away. I thought I was just getting bad die rolls. But Micheal's comments now make me wonder if there is a bug.

And yes, if there is a bug, a hotfix would be great. I am tired of my AC sitting on the ground instead of responding to an incoming raid. Especially after going to the trouble of getting all those modern radar sets in place.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 13
RE: radar detection bug - 9/8/2010 9:15:54 AM   
castor troy

quote:

I wasn´t the one who resolved the pre cap flak issue, I was one of many that complained about the effect of pre cap flak and it was TheElf and michaelm (sorry if I´ve missed someone else) who nailed a bug in this routine. I try to invest a lot of energy in helping to point out things and to identify bugs if possible but usually I´m only one of many. I´m probably one of the loudest screamers but there are many many others helping in a more silent way.

But yes, I do think land based radar got an issue because I just can´t see the reason why land based radar should fail in my PBEM probably 99.9% of the time from 12/41 until 7/43, while sea based radar just works great with more or less never failing. And as michaelm already pointed out, the guys are looking at it so keep your fingers crossed, I´m sure they will do their best as always.

(in reply to Sly)
Post #: 14
RE: radar detection bug - 9/8/2010 4:46:51 PM   
KenchiSulla

Had all my recent land raids "spotted". The one sea raid was "detected".

Cheers.

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

Post #: 15
RE: radar detection bug - 9/8/2010 9:17:48 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Land radar is checked first and then visual check. I am guessing that after the radar it is doing the visual check overriding the radar 'detect' flag.

This was raised in Dev Forum recently too, but it looked okay. But looks can be deceiving.

While I understand the fall-thru the rather significant skew seems to indicate that there is something amiss with the radar.

Due to the fall-thru, if both radar and observers detect the raid the indication will be that observers and not radar detected the raid. HOWEVER if only the radar detects it there would be no fall-thru and we would see a radar detection indication. Unless the radar detection probablity @ range is always less than observer detection probability there should be at least one instance of a radar detection with no observer detection. However if there is no one has reported seeing it.

Post #: 16
RE: radar detection bug - 9/8/2010 10:08:00 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

quote:

While I understand the fall-thru the rather significant skew seems to indicate that there is something amiss with the radar.

Due to the fall-thru, if both radar and observers detect the raid the indication will be that observers and not radar detected the raid. HOWEVER if only the radar detects it there would be no fall-thru and we would see a radar detection indication. Unless the radar detection probablity @ range is always less than observer detection probability there should be at least one instance of a radar detection with no observer detection. However if there is no one has reported seeing it.

Unless the fall through meant that visual info was always over-writing the radar results...

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 17
RE: radar detection bug - 9/8/2010 11:58:06 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

quote:

Unless the fall through meant that visual info was always over-writing the radar results...

But that is the point. Per michaelm it will always overwrite it as long as both radar and observers get a successful detection. If only the radar gets a detection there would be no overwrite. It seems that at least once the radar should detect and the observers miss entirely, for example in a storm or low clouds. But I have yet to see it happen.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 18
RE: radar detection bug - 9/9/2010 12:23:58 AM   
witpqs

I'm suggesting that his wording might not have been intended to be exact. He'll sort it out.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 19
RE: radar detection bug - 9/13/2010 2:39:26 PM   
castor troy

bump

sorry michaelm to be the usual pain in the a$$ but can you give us a short update about it? Is there anything going to be fixed/changed in the (hopefully soon to come ) patch?

thanks

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 20
RE: radar detection bug - 9/13/2010 2:50:48 PM   
michaelm75au

It may be part of the DATA patch (which was not originally going to be code, but this may change just for this one fix) when it comes up.

I have left it with Joe W to determine.

Michael

Post #: 21
RE: radar detection bug - 9/13/2010 2:54:06 PM   
castor troy

quote:

It may be part of the DATA patch (which was not originally going to be code, but this may change just for this one fix) when it comes up.

thanks for the info

Post #: 22
RE: radar detection bug - 9/13/2010 4:44:19 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

I'm confused with the terms code patch and data patch, would either of these require a restart?

Thanks for the help Micheal!

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Post #: 23
RE: radar detection bug - 9/13/2010 5:47:04 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Honestly, Michael, the fact that a lot of us have many squadrons of Attack Bombers that don't work is pretty big, too.

Post #: 24
RE: radar detection bug - 9/13/2010 5:56:57 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Honestly, Michael, the fact that a lot of us have many squadrons of Attack Bombers that don't work is pretty big, too.

mhm... and many of us are in mid 43 already in their PBEMs, have forgotten (or didn´t notice) to stop the B-25C factory to upgrade to the B-25D1 and are now stuck with more or less non working types of bombers...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 25
RE: radar detection bug - 9/13/2010 11:37:55 PM   
stuman

Thanks as always Michael.

( But as one who usually plays the Japanese side, it is ok with me if the Attack Bombers still have some work to be done. No hurry there )

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 26
RE: radar detection bug - 9/14/2010 2:37:40 AM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

Thanks as always Michael.

( But as one who usually plays the Japanese side, it is ok with me if the Attack Bombers still have some work to be done. No hurry there )

+1

(radar, OTOH . . . )

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 27
RE: radar detection bug - 9/14/2010 6:12:00 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

I'm confused with the terms code patch and data patch, would either of these require a restart?

Patches that REQUIRE a restart are very rare ... we've never done one for WITP or for AE ... and I don't think our predecessors did any for WITP either. And we have no intention of doing one either.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 28
RE: radar detection bug - 9/14/2010 7:34:43 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Patches that REQUIRE a restart are very rare ... we've never done one for WITP or for AE ... and I don't think our predecessors did any for WITP either. And we have no intention of doing one either.

I guess he meant "require a restart to have the data base changes happening for an ongoing game". While it´s great how it´s done now, weren´t most WITP patches done in a way that required a restart to also have the db changes?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 29
RE: radar detection bug - 9/14/2010 1:28:07 PM   
SuluSea

Thanks guys, I guess I could have been more specific. As I mentioned I'm kind of confused with the code and data patch terms. What I meant to say was something along the lines of , will the radar and attack bomber fixes require you to restart?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> radar detection bug Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI