Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No Modding tools yet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> No Modding tools yet? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No Modding tools yet? - 9/27/2010 12:02:58 PM   
DTFS

ok guys i'd say im done with trying to mod this game for now (maybe in the future when there are proper tools)
i tried creating ship designs etc' but im just not good at it ,codding is my thing
so i guess i'll see (read) some of you if and when the modding tools are out

see you
Post #: 1
RE: No Modding tools yet? - 9/27/2010 4:54:53 PM   
Igard

Word is, the expansion will be released by the end of the year. We don't know yet what sort of new features to expect, but I think there will be added support for modding, though this has not been substantiated yet.

(in reply to DTFS)
Post #: 2
RE: No Modding tools yet? - 10/12/2010 7:49:12 PM   
Registered55

everybody said that modding would come soon with a patch for this release, those voices seem to have gone quiet,

nothing has been said about modding, with the exception to very early posts from the staff saying there will be modding, to now nothing.....

all modding questions go unanswered, i would ignore the rumours and speculations, too many have said there will be modding soon....soon....soon.... what a load off crap,

go with the fact that there will be no modding, that way you'll be closer to the truth,

"words have meaning until our actions betray them".

unless the developer unlocks the game (which like many he wishes not to show his work to public eyes....yes this is just my opinion) then there will be no modding, (paradox developers anyone?)

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 3
RE: No Modding tools yet? - 10/12/2010 8:21:32 PM   
ASHBERY76

It is a real shame that all you can mod is ship graphics and even with that you are forced to have only one ship style per race.

A real wasted opportunity with this game.

(in reply to Registered55)
Post #: 4
RE: No Modding tools yet? - 10/12/2010 9:01:11 PM   
WoodMan

I've also put modding on hold at the moment and am concentrating modding efforts on a different game.  Not only are there limitations, but I was getting some serious problems with running lights on the ships I created, they appear everywhere even though there is no yellow on the ships.  I tried all sorts to try and solve it, but I can only improve the situation slightly, not solve it 

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: No Modding tools yet? - 10/12/2010 11:42:55 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

I was getting some serious problems with running lights on the ships I created

What program are you using, WoodMan? I've been using GIMP and found that maybe around 1 in 15 ships I do has problems with running lights, which I can then fix easily enough. I know they can pop up in some of the most unlikely places.

Mind you I just recently finished the mirror universe ships for the Archer Era mod which have a lot of yellow markings on them, and not one had a running light out of place!

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 6
RE: No Modding tools yet? - 10/13/2010 3:53:48 AM   
tjhkkr

Yes, I use GIMP too.
Do not let it overwhelm you. It is not easy to use initially, but you can learn it. And it gives you a few features MS Paint does not.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 7
RE: No Modding tools yet? - 10/13/2010 12:28:00 PM   
WoodMan

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm using Photoshop.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 8
RE: No Modding tools yet? - 10/13/2010 2:33:06 PM   
Igard

I used to have photoshop installed on my computer years ago, though I didn't use it much. You probably don't want to downgrade then to a freeware program!

I'm still new to this stuff myself, so sorry if I don't have all the answers.

Are you saving the pngs at their highest quality possible? If not it I think it could create some slight variance in the colours.

If you have an area of slight yellowness that is creating a running light, try using the smudge tool to eliminate any pure yellow. Or try changing the colour of the area. I've found myself changing all the yellow in the image to orange in order to fix it.

If you have an area with no yellow whatsoever, then you will need to erase that area and then rebuild it. This all depends on how difficult the part of the ship will be to redraw. Sometimes I will copy and paste from another section. Sometimes I'll be able to redraw by hand. I like to use the smudge tool set to 100% to cover up the area, then set it down to a size of 1 pixel and start adding in the detail again. Sometimes it helps to 'cut' the section out rather than erase. Then you can paste the section next to it and try to copy what it looked like.

If neither of those work, then sometimes restarting from scratch is the only option. I've done this once for a ship and for some reason it worked fine the second attempt.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> No Modding tools yet? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI