Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Where's the activity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Where's the activity Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Where's the activity - 9/28/2010 7:42:08 PM   
Groovynatureguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

It's the great wait.  We're all holding our breath for the next patch and the expansion.  We've all blasted the developers with our wishes and now we're just waiting to see to what extent they listened.  That's what's happening.

Well said!

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 61
RE: Where's the activity - 9/28/2010 8:57:34 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

It's the great wait.  We're all holding our breath for the next patch and the expansion.  We've all blasted the developers with our wishes and now we're just waiting to see to what extent they listened.  That's what's happening.

That's not a good excuse. We could still be talking about DW but we are awfully quiet.

Why can't we still talk about the game? I find it funny that Masters of Orion still had traffic before Atari moved all its forums to a new server or what ever they did. Yes they didn't get much but the old MOO3 forum last year was more busier than what DW is now.

DW forum was never really busy to begin with. I gues us DW fans are not that talkative. Maybe we are playing DW than being on the fourms. I duno.

I was always a bit disapointed in how less talkative we are here on DW.

< Message edited by Davor -- 9/28/2010 9:02:19 PM >

Post #: 62
RE: Where's the activity - 9/28/2010 10:27:46 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

I quite agree, don't really understand it myself.

I mostly post on the modding sub-forum and it surprises me how little interaction there is between posters. I mean stuff like helping one another out, arguing, asking questions. Mostly people just post there new ship sets and that's it.

It's not that I feel we're a bad community here, us Distant Worlders are a very civil bunch, but we're not as helpful and responsive to one another as we could be. If that makes any sense.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 63
RE: Where's the activity - 9/28/2010 11:42:15 PM   
PotatoKing

Any idea how well DW sold? I assumed it was quiet as the player base was small. I am worried there might not be an expansion as there isn't sufficient demand.

I only discovered it by accident when I was doing a search for Star Ruler (which I had heard about). SR has a much livelier board (even though the game isn't what I would call a game right now) and at last count had 6k+ sales and it is on the much more heavily used services of Steam and Impulse (and apparently gamersgate, but I don't use that one).

PK

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 64
RE: Where's the activity - 9/29/2010 1:35:10 AM   
Cosian

I think many new games, except the big name heavily marketed games ala Starcraft II or CIV 5 suffer to some extent in their efforts to draw a following. Things are much different than they were in the MOO2 days. I mean what choices did you really have back then.

Today the market is flooded with hastily produced Indy titles and games from major distributors thanks to Digital Download and services like Steam and Impulse. Also, overall development is cheaper. Simply license an engine and some tools and you are on your way. There is a ton of competition for our gaming dollar. I also think the market is a good deal more fickle. People play something for a bit and unless its simply awsome out of the box they are looking at the new releases coming out next week.

There is also clearly a trend to rush games to market and then scramble to add content, complete subsystems etc.... And while we are waiting for things to be sorted out, the next new thing comes along. When you think about all the new games that have come out this year for PC this year, how many were really tight and complete upon release. A pitiful few and its going to hurt developers in the long run. Though I buy a ton of games, I rarely pre-order or buy something on its release date any longer. I probably bought 30+ games this year and I think I only bought Dragon Age, CIV5, and Starcraft close to its release date. So I tend to show up in a forum 6 months after a games release and many have already left for the next new thing.....

(in reply to PotatoKing)
Post #: 65
RE: Where's the activity - 9/29/2010 1:58:13 AM   
Baleur

quote:

quote:

That's not a good excuse. We could still be talking about DW but we are awfully quiet.

Why can't we still talk about the game? I find it funny that Masters of Orion still had traffic before Atari moved all its forums to a new server or what ever they did. Yes they didn't get much but the old MOO3 forum last year was more busier than what DW is now.

DW forum was never really busy to begin with. I gues us DW fans are not that talkative. Maybe we are playing DW than being on the fourms. I duno.

Well the mod support was severely lacking, i think thats why this forum has cooled down lately.
Personally i was working on a few cool mods, but failed to be able to implement them.
So on one hand, the mod section is dead because of no real mods (other than gfx replacements), on the other hand the AAR section is dead because its a bit hard to follow an AAR in this game with the criss-crossing borders (late-game screenshots are a mess, unless you photoshop nice borders and space kittens).

And the general section here, well what's there to talk about? :P
No patch info, no expansion info, we could make 20 threads about speculations but there's the wish thread :/
I want moaaaaar DW nooow!

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 66
RE: Where's the activity - 9/29/2010 2:11:13 AM   
adecoy95

i mostly lurk, i havent played the game in a while, feel like i have seen it all, just hoping there is some new content soon

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 67
RE: Where's the activity - 9/29/2010 7:29:46 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

I agree, jalapen0. Let's liven things up:-

http://vimeo.com/4052500

Dude that is hilarious!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 68
RE: Where's the activity - 9/29/2010 7:31:29 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: PotatoKing

Any idea how well DW sold? I assumed it was quiet as the player base was small. I am worried there might not be an expansion as there isn't sufficient demand.

I only discovered it by accident when I was doing a search for Star Ruler (which I had heard about). SR has a much livelier board (even though the game isn't what I would call a game right now) and at last count had 6k+ sales and it is on the much more heavily used services of Steam and Impulse (and apparently gamersgate, but I don't use that one).

PK

Star Ruler was just released, while DW came out some time ago. You are right it is hardly a game, and more a tech demo.

(in reply to PotatoKing)
Post #: 69
RE: Where's the activity - 9/29/2010 8:07:44 PM   
DMan777

I reckon a few people have been suffering from one-more-turn-itis since Civ V came out last Tuesday(US)/Friday(EU/AU).  Personally, I have 40+ hours in--yes, my second full-time job this week.

< Message edited by DMan777 -- 9/30/2010 4:02:31 AM >

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 70
RE: Where's the activity - 9/30/2010 3:24:52 AM   
Simulation01

Speaking strictly for myself....I truly am waiting for the next patch and expansion.  I mean I have posted in the wish list forums and have made a couple of whole threads on my Diplomacy and Admirals Ideas and now I'm waiting to see what they do.  I can only say I want this and that so many times without eating my heart out.

I have posted some stuff in the modding sections...not mod's, but material for mods that I collected.  I have also posted a few contentions statements, but on the whole I don't like to have forum flame wars ( not that anyone has suggested we have one ).   

I truly feel at this point that there are whole elements of DW that need to be changed in order to make it more enjoyable for me.  The fact that empires will found colony's across the entire map irrespective of distance is simply mind boggling and not aesthetically pleasing to me.  I like relatively tight and cohesive empires ( do not read any innuendo into that please  ).  Also, I'm dying to see more elements that make me feel like I'm running a real empire...thing's like empire color fills for a political map ( like on Civ IV), impassable borders unless you have a right of passage agreement, neutral zones, Diplomacy ( like I've mentioned before), Admirals, Worm Holes, Jump Gates, Carriers and Fighters, Actual missiles, more ship classes, more empire specific elements ( like maybe a different UI for each species or species type)etc..etc...this is all stuff that has been mentioned in the wish lists and other places....some by me a lot by others.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2560508

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2560505

< Message edited by Simulation01 -- 9/30/2010 3:27:47 AM >

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to DMan777)
Post #: 71
RE: Where's the activity - 10/2/2010 2:15:19 AM   
HsojVvad

I don't think we should have instoppable border crossings. If you do not have the ships to stop the player from crossing your border, then they should cross. What we should have is like Simulation01 said, have border crossing agreements. If you do not have one, and a ship crosses the border, you should be able to destroy it without the other empire declaring war on you or loosing any attitude toward you.

You want your ships to cross the border, have an agreement. No agreement but ships get destroyed, do not cry, tell your ships not to cross then. That is a good idea. I am to drained to redo this in the suggestion thread. If anyone wants to do so for me, please go ahead. (My mother passed away a few days ago, trying to get my mind off it, and trying to cope, so sorry if I don't feel like doing it over again.)

Post #: 72
RE: Where's the activity - 10/2/2010 5:03:02 AM   
Cosian

On the whole border thing which a lot of folks have commented on. I understand the desire for kind of a 'this is my territory and you should not enter it'. I don't think the problem is that rival empires can just go establish colonies in 'your space'. Rather, there is really no recourse other than war which can be prohibitivly costly under the current game rules. In simplest terms, there is no penalty for founding a colony far from home and in the middle of another empire.

For example, in Gal Civ 2 the rival could certainly colonize within your sphere of influence at an available world, but generally, these colonies would eventually come under your control unless your rival was able to 'out culture' you in that area.

Frankly I thought the whole culture thing was almost too powerful in Gal Civ 2, however, it was a believable and a realistic dynamic that resulted in empires that were somewhat contiguous as opposed to dotted all over due to sphere of influence.

Face it, folks like to see their big blue blob of color expand. I think the solution is to do some kind of culture thing like Gal Civ did, or, allow a declaration war without penality if someone 'breaches' your space.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 73
RE: Where's the activity - 10/2/2010 5:49:32 PM   
Simulation01

quote:

I don't think we should have instoppable border crossings. If you do not have the ships to stop the player from crossing your border, then they should cross. What we should have is like Simulation01 said, have border crossing agreements. If you do not have one, and a ship crosses the border, you should be able to destroy it without the other empire declaring war on you or loosing any attitude toward you.

You want your ships to cross the border, have an agreement. No agreement but ships get destroyed, do not cry, tell your ships not to cross then. That is a good idea. I am to drained to redo this in the suggestion thread. If anyone wants to do so for me, please go ahead. (My mother passed away a few days ago, trying to get my mind off it, and trying to cope, so sorry if I don't feel like doing it over again.)

I'm sorry for your loss, and wish you and your family the best. I don't know your beliefs, but I'll remember you when I pray.

I came across a cool song and a cool singer/artist...you may like it:
Song

Song2

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 74
RE: Where's the activity - 10/2/2010 7:18:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

Simulation01,

What version of the game are you playing?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 75
RE: Where's the activity - 10/2/2010 10:32:23 PM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Simulation01,

What version of the game are you playing?

Regards,

- Erik

Hi,

I am playing 1.0.6.0

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 76
RE: Where's the activity - 10/5/2010 8:38:53 PM   
Gertjan

I'm still here and have been quiet recently. It is a busy time in real life, but I like the game very much and support it and its community. Hope to be back soon!

Post #: 77
RE: Where's the activity - 10/11/2010 1:38:29 PM   
qqqqqq666

I just got the game after a long time lurking in here and I am enjoying it A LOT... I am just noticing some bugs i have already read about in here, so I am looking forward for a patch..

Until then i play DW a lot and visit the forum much less. ;)

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 78
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Where's the activity Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI