Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shocking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Shocking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shocking - 8/18/2002 5:49:05 PM   
Strat

I've not been around for a while but the speed that the UV forum has grown is amazing, it now sits at number three for the highest amount of posts.

I've just ordered UV from DUCHET computers in England for £39.99 plus £1.00 recorded delivery. Are there any player's out there from England/Scotland that payed less for this game, and is it cheaper than buying direct from Matrix after adding shipping etc.

I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Congrats to 2by3 and Matrix on a long awaited title.

Strat..

Einstien rules relativity,
Well in theory.
Post #: 1
The price is right - 8/19/2002 6:23:54 PM   
rich91a

£39.99 is what I paid from a retail outlet in London that is a Matrix Games distributor.

Worth every penny!

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 2
- 8/19/2002 9:33:44 PM   
Hoplosternum

I bought my second copy from Duchet for that price and my first from Matrix directly. Once UPS had charged me not only for carriage but also for insurance and tax when it actually arrived the price was about £70. The problem with buying directly from Matrix is that the Credit Card companies will only accept the deal if there is a Tracking feature on the goods in transit (hence UPS). This really pushes up the price compared to usual mail.

I don't know why Matrix are caught like this. I am used to buying books from the US Amazon as it is often cheaper even after the carriage costs than the UK Amazon. I have also bought some other games from the US mail order (Space Empires IV and Horse and Musket). None cost anywhere near UPS prices for travel and it came as a shock to be so stung by UPS. I wish I had checked their distributers before I bought the game the first time. Great game though!

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 3
- 8/19/2002 10:27:42 PM   
mark24

I use Strategic Plus, & it was about the same price.

IMO, any good computer game represents excellent value for the price. Consider the amount of time you play them, compare that to an equal amount of time spent down the boozer.

If I drink 2 pints an hour, & a game lasts 100 hours of play, then at £2 a pint i've spent £400!!

This game has a LOT more than 100 hours under the bonnet, let me tell you!

Mark

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 4
Of for a wet navy! - 8/19/2002 11:10:52 PM   
RevRick

But, if I drank two pints an hour while playing, I'd probably run a PT boat Banzai charge into Rabaul! I haven't unlimbered my pub mugs in several years - something in my canons.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 5
- 8/19/2002 11:30:06 PM   
Paul Vebber

[QUOTE]I don't know why Matrix are caught like this. I am used to buying books from the US Amazon... [/QUOTE]

It is quite simple - Amazon is a multi-billion dollar operation, we are many, many MANY times smaller...Remember the Beverly Hillbillies? Amazon is like Jed Clampett with Banker Drysdale fawning all over him, we are more like Aunt Pearl who he kept calling the cops on...

In the world of banking if you have bucks you can get all the additional you want, but you don't, they assume you are selling snake oil and will cut and run with the money. So we have to put up with all manner of ways they want to protect their money. Requiring us to use trackable shipping when they don't demand it of Amazon, is part of how they protect themselves from "fly-by night" con artitists.

The really frustrating part is, if your sales are small enough, (as ours until quite recently, and is the case with some other companies) you can "fly under their radar scren" since you are such small change, if you buck town they can afford to write it off.

So we are victems of our own success in some ways, we are cash poor enough not be able to front big guarentee money, but are doing too well to "fly under the radar screen" any more...

That is why we are aggessively pursuing a retail presence in specialty game and book shops. On-line only will just not be sufficient to support all we want to do!

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 6
- 8/20/2002 4:03:32 AM   
Strat

I personally think that it is discusting the way Matrix is being treated by the credit card company's, and there-for must ask why they promote UPS by using them, surely it would be better, if not fairer to your customer's to just list your distributers and to warn prospective customers of the additional carridge charge they will be required to pay if they ship directly from matrix.
Perhaps this is already being done, and I have missed it, in which case I am sorry if you think I am picking holes in Matrix, because I am not. I have a great deal of respect for Matrix and what they are doing for wargames and their fans. But it is unfair on the customers to be paying extortionate (spelling) amount's just for delivery..

Having said that I would probably pay £70+ for a really good war game, as long as the money went to the right places and that is the developer's and the publishers, not too some rip off mail company..

That's my 2 penny's worth.

Strat..

Einstien rules relativity,
Well in theory.

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 7
- 8/20/2002 6:21:31 AM   
mark24

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strat
[B]I personally think that it is discusting the way Matrix is being treated by the credit card company's, and there-for must ask why they promote UPS by using them, surely it would be better, if not fairer to your customer's to just list your distributers and to warn prospective customers of the additional carridge charge they will be required to pay if they ship directly from matrix.
Perhaps this is already being done, and I have missed it, in which case I am sorry if you think I am picking holes in Matrix, because I am not. I have a great deal of respect for Matrix and what they are doing for wargames and their fans. But it is unfair on the customers to be paying extortionate (spelling) amount's just for delivery..

Having said that I would probably pay £70+ for a really good war game, as long as the money went to the right places and that is the developer's and the publishers, not too some rip off mail company..

That's my 2 penny's worth.

Strat.. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sooooooo agree.

I'm in the UK, so directly importing from the US can cost me 70 quid plus once customs & excise get their claws in. How much do Matrix sell UV to retailers for? In US$ it costs me $100 equivalent to import direct (interestingly they don't always cop on). I bet that's 5 times what Matrix sell to retailers direct.

This is why I always go to a company that imports themselves (where necessary), it's cheaper. If it wasn't for these companies, I'd never of had the pleasure of UV, since I wouldn't have spent £70/$100 as an experiment.

As such, Matrix would have lost the revenue of one copy of UV, & WiTP, & Unnamed Mediteranean (sp?) wargame, both of which I fully intend to buy.

Going off on a sycophantic tangent now, Matrix, so far as I can see, support their products 110%. Any company that does this deserves our support. They are few & far between.

Mark

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Shocking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI