Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alternative History for the Historically Minded

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Alternative History for the Historically Minded Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 5:59:58 PM   
GaryChildress

Many here are very strict history buffs. You want a game that is strictly, historically accurate. One of my hobbies is creating alternative history game art (or really any art which has not already been done by the AE crew).

In order to make some of my art a little more palatable for the main stream WITP history fanatic, I propose the following:

WITP is UNDENIABLY "alternative history" the minute the game starts. From that point forward history of the Pacific theater is dramatically rewritten. Therefore what is so objectionable about adding a few "what-if" binds to the building queue?

For instance, I've created a CVL conversion of the Omaha class cruisers which, though never implemented, was in fact once thought over by the US Navy. Why not create a "bind" in the editor whereby the player could convert Omaha class CLs to CVLs IN GAME? Is that any more objectionable than creating binds for the Japanese to turn Fuso into a flight deck battleship and what not? It gives the player a little more flexibility over his building program and if players can already buildout ships which were historically never refitted during the war, then why not give the player more room to convert different ships into different types of refits?

Just a thought. I'm curious what the strictly history buffs think of the idea?

Post #: 1
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 6:10:10 PM   
Pascal_slith

I'm all for following different tracks (as long as it is not 'fantasy').

Another 'what if' would be the Japanese NOT building the Musashi and scrapping it to build 2-3 new carriers (Shokaku/Zuikakau class?). Or even better, giving the Japanese a few more shipyards and shipyard points to produce quicker and earlier. Same for aircraft factories and the amount of new pilots (at albeit lower starting ratings).

Obviously these don't involve additional artwork.

One that would is the production of a Japanese 4-engine bomber, like a project based on the Ju-290E

Well, looks like the image upload system has tanked on me....

< Message edited by Pascal -- 10/9/2010 6:17:49 PM >

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 2
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 6:22:31 PM   
Pascal_slith

Here's the Ju-290A-8

Well, maybe not...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 6:24:24 PM   
Pascal_slith

One last try...

Yes!

A quote from Axis History Forum

The Ju-290 A-8 series was developed for the Japanese as a long range bomber, but they lost interest due to concerns that the aircraft could not be delivered without crossing Soviet airspace. Japan did not want to trigger a war with Russia.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Pascal -- 10/9/2010 6:25:11 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 6:51:36 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pascal

Another 'what if' would be the Japanese NOT building the Musashi and scrapping it to build 2-3 new carriers (Shokaku/Zuikakau class?). Or even better, giving the Japanese a few more shipyards and shipyard points to produce quicker and earlier. Same for aircraft factories and the amount of new pilots (at albeit lower starting ratings).

Two or three more Shokaku's in place of the Musashi IS fantasy..., unless you want them without any air groups. Trained carrier air groups are an expensive proposition in time and money, both to create and to maintain.

Post #: 5
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 6:55:36 PM   
Pascal_slith

There's also the Nakajima G8N

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 6:56:45 PM   
Pascal_slith

And the Ju-390, awfully similar to the Ju-290

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 7:00:13 PM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

Two or three more Shokaku's in place of the Musashi IS fantasy..., unless you want them without any air groups. Trained carrier air groups are an expensive proposition in time and money, both to create and to maintain.

Perhaps I didn't say it correctly, but that is what I was thinking when speaking about more new pilots at lower ratings.

The Japanese selection system was not in sync with their pilot requirements. Had they been more realistic, they would have produced pilots with overall lower ratings at the outset and put them into operational use, similar to the US and UK system. I don't see any 'fantasy' in that. The carrier air groups could have been available.

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 8
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 7:24:34 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps I didn't say it correctly, but that is what I was thinking when speaking about more new pilots at lower ratings.

The Japanese selection system was not in sync with their pilot requirements. Had they been more realistic, they would have produced pilots with overall lower ratings at the outset and put them into operational use, similar to the US and UK system. I don't see any 'fantasy' in that. The carrier air groups could have been available.

And what I meant was that a Carrier Air Group is a continually wasting asset, even in peace time. In wartime, any Air Group (unless you keep it grounded and lose the training "edge"), it needs to be totally replaced at LEAST once a year. And Carrier Air Groups have the highest non-combat attrition of all.

Post #: 9
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 7:30:00 PM   
GaryChildress

What do people think of adding conversions to the database which were not historically carried out? For instance if Omaha class CLs could be converted into CVLs during the game? Or converting older cruisers into AA cruisers?

Post #: 10
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 7:32:49 PM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And what I meant was that a Carrier Air Group is a continually wasting asset, even in peace time. In wartime, any Air Group (unless you keep it grounded and lose the training "edge"), it needs to be totally replaced at LEAST once a year. And Carrier Air Groups have the highest non-combat attrition of all.

Don't see any of this as mutually exclusive...so I guess we agree

< Message edited by Pascal -- 10/9/2010 7:46:46 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 7:33:36 PM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

What do people think of adding conversions to the database which were not historically carried out? For instance if Omaha class CLs could be converted into CVLs during the game? Or converting older cruisers into AA cruisers?

Sure. But as you did for your CL conversion, I would first work on variants that were historically considered.

Post #: 12
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 8:30:35 PM   
Shark7

Speaking of alternate history, here are a few German plane types the Japanese did show interest in, but never actually acquired...or in some cases could not mass produce after acquiring units to study:

1. 1 Ju-87 A-1 Stuka (Called the Ju-87 K-1) for testing
2. 1 FW-190 A-5 for testing
3. 5 Bf-109 E-7 for testing
4. ~25 He-100 D-0 (also called He-113) Fighters, these were to be put into production for the IJN, but the required tooling failed to arrive following the start of WWII.
5. 1 FW-200 V10, ordered but not delivered due to the start of WWII.
6. 44 HE-111F, order cancelled in 1938.
7. 30 He-112B used for training and testing
8. Plans for Me-163
9. 1 Me-210 for testing
10. Plans for Ta-152
11. Do-217 (Japanese wanted one for evaluation, but delivery was blocked by the Luftwaffe).
12. Plans for Ju-88 ASW version...eventually led to indigenous Q1W Tokai
13. License to produce the Ju-390 A-1 was acquired, but plans were not delivered prior to Germany's surrender.
14. License and Blueprints for Ju-388 Acquired in 08-1944...none produced.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 13
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 8:47:46 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Speaking of alternate history, here are a few German plane types the Japanese did show interest in, but never actually acquired...or in some cases could not mass produce after acquiring units to study:

4. ~25 He-100 D-0 (also called He-113) Fighters, these were to be put into production for the IJN, but the required tooling failed to arrive following the start of WWII.
8. Plans for Me-163
9. 1 Me-210 for testing
10. Plans for Ta-152
11. Do-217 (Japanese wanted one for evaluation, but delivery was blocked by the Luftwaffe).
13. License to produce the Ju-390 A-1 was acquired, but plans were not delivered prior to Germany's surrender.

The problem with all these is that Japanese Industry had a real problem with building and maintaining the high tolerance German engines. Just look at the problems they had with the Tony. And the situation just got worse as the war continued and the industry had to try and expand from too small a base.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 14
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 8:49:07 PM   
Dixie

quote:

To my mind it depends how much the conversions diverge from reality. Would it actually be possible to turn the Omahas into CVLs for example? Like a few others on the bosrds I'd be more interested in the Commonwealth nations.

1. D-Class CL into CLAA (similar to HMS Delhi)
2. Refitting the Australian V-Class DDs into LRE ships.
3. A partial rebuild of Repulse.
4. A rebuild of other County cruisers to the same standard as HMS London.

I've got a few other ideas, but they're all firmly in the "what-if" category.

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 15
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 9:04:06 PM   
RUDOLF

Germany traded several Jet engine blueprints for the license and blueprints to make the 46cm guns used by the Yamato. But for one reason or another Germany never used the design.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 16
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 9:05:42 PM   
RUDOLF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

To my mind it depends how much the conversions diverge from reality. Would it actually be possible to turn the Omahas into CVLs for example? Like a few others on the bosrds I'd be more interested in the Commonwealth nations.

1. D-Class CL into CLAA (similar to HMS Delhi)
2. Refitting the Australian V-Class DDs into LRE ships.
3. A partial rebuild of Repulse.
4. A rebuild of other County cruisers to the same standard as HMS London.

I've got a few other ideas, but they're all firmly in the "what-if" category.

I think it would be far more interesting to look at this "what if's" for the Japanese.
Could changed balance a bit and make the game more interesting in the long run.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 17
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/9/2010 11:56:37 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

8. Plans for Me-163
9. 1 Me-210 for testing
10. Plans for Ta-152

The problem with all these is that Japanese Industry had a real problem with building and maintaining the high tolerance German engines. Just look at the problems they had with the Tony. And the situation just got worse as the war continued and the industry had to try and expand from too small a base.

And as I noted, none of these were actually produced. However, if one wants to make an alternate history scenario, these are potential aircraft.

Remember we are talking completely non-historical scenarios here.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 18
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/10/2010 12:19:15 AM   
Pascal_slith

Interesting book on alternate history (from a strategic/operational outcome perspective) is Rising Sun Victorious (editor is Peter Tsouras).

For a different idea, I've always thought an interesting variant would be the influence of non-Pacific factors in terms of effects on reinforcements
and the situation of the Soviets.

Specifically, the idea would be a random event generator with a probability distribution that the player can set at the beginning of the game (the parameters would be 'peak' (kurtosis) and 'bias' (skewness). The random event generator could create, for example, a news stream which would have an influence on how soon/late, how much/little of your reinforcements you would get (the premise being 'Germany First').

For example, a news item could be, for February 1942, 'North African campaign getting very difficult for 8th Army - more material diverted to that theater and units retained'. This would change both the pool of materials and the ground & air reinforcement schedule.

Another example could be in June 1942, 'Soviets taking very heavy losses on Eastern Front - no more units sent to Trans-Siberia and some units there recalled to front', leading to withdrawal dates for some Soviet units.

Depending on 'peakedness' of the distribution, most if not all results could lead to no change.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 19
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/10/2010 3:09:31 PM   
MateDow

quote:

...For instance, I've created a CVL conversion of the Omaha class cruisers which, though never implemented, was in fact once thought over by the US Navy. Why not create a "bind" in the editor whereby the player could convert Omaha class CLs to CVLs IN GAME? Is that any more objectionable than creating binds for the Japanese to turn Fuso into a flight deck battleship and what not? It gives the player a little more flexibility over his building program and if players can already buildout ships which were historically never refitted during the war, then why not give the player more room to convert different ships into different types of refits?

I have no problem with conversions like the Omaha-class CVL or CLAA when they are backed up by real data. For the US ships, I think that this data is contained in books like Friedman's US Cruisers, and is based on real design studies made by the US Navy. These will probably be very expensive conversions similar in cost to those performed on the West Virginia, California or Tennessee. There was a reason that these conversions were not carried out in wartime, and the cost should reflect that.

For the British ships, where there were other C-class and D-class (?) cruisers converted to a CLAA standard, that should also be an option, just not an inexpensive one. I am not sure if the British shipyards would have enough spare capacity to make such a conversion, or if the Americans would have diverted the effort away from their own conversions. These were cruisers that were older than the Omahas that the US did not take the effort to convert even when they were already in the shipyard for extensive repairs.

Post #: 20
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/10/2010 3:25:03 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: MateDow

quote:

...For instance, I've created a CVL conversion of the Omaha class cruisers which, though never implemented, was in fact once thought over by the US Navy. Why not create a "bind" in the editor whereby the player could convert Omaha class CLs to CVLs IN GAME? Is that any more objectionable than creating binds for the Japanese to turn Fuso into a flight deck battleship and what not? It gives the player a little more flexibility over his building program and if players can already buildout ships which were historically never refitted during the war, then why not give the player more room to convert different ships into different types of refits?

I have no problem with conversions like the Omaha-class CVL or CLAA when they are backed up by real data. For the US ships, I think that this data is contained in books like Friedman's US Cruisers, and is based on real design studies made by the US Navy. These will probably be very expensive conversions similar in cost to those performed on the West Virginia, California or Tennessee. There was a reason that these conversions were not carried out in wartime, and the cost should reflect that.

For the British ships, where there were other C-class and D-class (?) cruisers converted to a CLAA standard, that should also be an option, just not an inexpensive one. I am not sure if the British shipyards would have enough spare capacity to make such a conversion, or if the Americans would have diverted the effort away from their own conversions. These were cruisers that were older than the Omahas that the US did not take the effort to convert even when they were already in the shipyard for extensive repairs.

Yes, shipyard time and space are the real limitations here. With the yards going at full capacity during WWII it's hard to imagine that there was any extra space available for additional conversions other than what historically happened. So maybe it's best to leave the CL->CVL conversions to the truly alternative history mods.

(in reply to MateDow)
Post #: 21
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/10/2010 3:34:06 PM   
oldman45

Gary they had enough yard space to convert the clevelands to independance class, so putting in 1 or 2 of the omaha should not be that big a deal. An alternative would be to allow more of the clevelands to be converted.

Post #: 22
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/10/2010 3:36:35 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MateDow

quote:

I Believe BuShips nixed any CVL conversion of the Omaha's because the hulls were too narrow and the displacement too small to be practical.

(in reply to MateDow)
Post #: 23
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/10/2010 3:41:18 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

quote:

I Believe BuShips nixed any CVL conversion of the Omaha's because the hulls were too narrow and the displacement too small to be practical.

Yeah I was thinking that too. The Omahas are pretty narrow even compared to the Bogue class CVEs.

Post #: 24
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/10/2010 3:58:06 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

Gary they had enough yard space to convert the clevelands to independance class, so putting in 1 or 2 of the omaha should not be that big a deal. An alternative would be to allow more of the clevelands to be converted.

Also, as opposed to conversion, if one took an alternate history path where the Washington and London treaties never existed, many of those 'design studies' could have become ships.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 25
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/10/2010 11:13:55 PM   
DOCUP

Gary I have to agree with you on your frist statement. I like that the devs gave us a chance to play a game like this. I would like a little more wiggle room with somethings. I haven't made it that far into the games vs AI but am playing GC in stock and Alt Scn. If you look at it the IJN player gets to mess around with production in several areas. So why can't the Allies.

doc

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 26
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/11/2010 12:51:56 AM   
oldman45

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Gary I have to agree with you on your frist statement. I like that the devs gave us a chance to play a game like this. I would like a little more wiggle room with somethings. I haven't made it that far into the games vs AI but am playing GC in stock and Alt Scn. If you look at it the IJN player gets to mess around with production in several areas. So why can't the Allies.

doc

Its always been that way with Gary's games. The underdog gets to play with all the toys ;)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 27
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/11/2010 12:59:24 AM   
DOCUP

I use to think I knew a lot about WW2 until I came here that is. I quite enjoy the history lessons, now I'm more annoying to my friends. Getting to the point now could someone share there what if references with me so I can see for myself. Thanks

doc

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 28
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/11/2010 1:06:19 AM   
USS Henrico

The USN decides not to wait for the Essex class carriers. Instead of buildiing all the North Carolina/South Dakota BBs, they produce a couple more Yorktown class CVs similar to Hornet. These shouldn't require anymore shipbuilding capacity than was historically present and would arrive in late 1942.

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 29
RE: Alternative History for the Historically Minded - 10/11/2010 1:08:48 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

doc

The following may sound like too pat an answer, but imo I think that of the two sides, there is a lot more room for improvement regarding the Japanese conduct of their overall war effort from beginning to end compared to that of the Allies. This is a gross generalization of course, and I am not trying to start a big debate . Just a partial explanation as to why, in this game, the Japanese have a few more knobs to turn than do the Allies.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Alternative History for the Historically Minded Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI