Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The German - Soviet Alliance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The German - Soviet Alliance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The German - Soviet Alliance - 10/16/2010 2:06:39 AM   
Panama

January 1933 Chancellor Kurt von Schleicher forms and maintains a parliamentary majority. Hitler never comes to power.

May of 1936 Marshal Mikhail N. Tukhachevskiy and his associates attempt a coup against Stalin and successfully remove him from power. After the coup he is assured of the support of the Soviet Army and Navy. There is never a purge of the Soviet military.

July 1936 the Soviet Union and Germany form an alliance against the Western powers, France and Britain.

Now although this may sound crazy it was a real possibility. Marshall Tukhachevskiy had wanted this very thing. If he had come to power and Hitler had been thwarted it may well have been.

What would have become of Italy? Would it have become a Facist state? Which side would they have alligned with?

What would a war with a Soviet/German Alliance have been like for France and Britain? Who would have fired the first shot? Would the Allies have tried to appease the Germans and Soviets as they did Hitler? What about Japan?

We'll never know for sure but this is one of the grandest what ifs for that period of time I know of. Except for the plotting of a couple of people it may well have been.

Post #: 1
RE: The German - Soviet Alliance - 10/16/2010 7:54:13 AM   
pionier

Italy was afaik already a facist state. ;-)

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 2
RE: The German - Soviet Alliance - 10/16/2010 8:31:00 AM   
Obsolete

Mmm, I wonder why this is in the TOAW thread. I suppose it is your sneaky & clever way of asking someone else to create the scenario for you, but without you physically asking for it :P

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to pionier)
Post #: 3
RE: The German - Soviet Alliance - 10/17/2010 5:31:42 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

Mmm, I wonder why this is in the TOAW thread. I suppose it is your sneaky & clever way of asking someone else to create the scenario for you, but without you physically asking for it :P

Take it for what it is, just a question about a possibility of an alternative universe. No need for you to dwell on a supposed intent of the posting . . . after all, no one is twisting your arm to make a new scenario.
Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 4
RE: The German - Soviet Alliance - 10/17/2010 4:00:07 PM   
Andriko

Well, there was already alot of Soviet-German cooperation pre-33. Also, without Hitler, it is unlikeley Germany would openly flout the Versaille treaty regarding military size limits (hence the 1920's agreements, infact).

Also, I don't really see what benefit Germany would have for an anti western alliance in these circumstances, nor do I see what use they would be to the Soviet union without a remilitarization program.

Italy was already Fascist, but without a strong European Ally it is unlikley they would do much more then mess arround in Abyssinia, and Japan would still be at war with China, though one suspects that they wouldn't even dream of going on a Pacific rampage when the UK and France are not fighting any European conflict at all.

Basically, there is no real likleyhood of a war, hence no need for a scenario :p

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 5
RE: The German - Soviet Alliance - 10/17/2010 9:31:25 PM   
Panama

Germany and the Soviet Union had the Treaty of Rapallo signed in 1922. Hitler dissolved it.

They also had a common enemy each was eager to eliminate, Poland.

Both looked upon France and Britain as a pair of common foes.

The Treaty of Versaille was hated in Germany and was bound to be broken.

The Soviet Union saw Britain as enemy number one until Hitler's rise to power. During the 'War Scare' of 1927 the supposed foe was France and Britain.

The Treaty of Rapallo was Germany's rearmament program and a breaking of the Treaty of Versaille.

Perhaps Marshal Tukhachevskiy would have been the catalyst. A Soviet Bonapart as some have suggested.

(in reply to Andriko)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The German - Soviet Alliance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI