Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Good military Tank books.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Good military Tank books. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good military Tank books. - 12/9/2000 8:53:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

Hi, I have search`t long time for a good Tank book in english, Swedish or in finish. I mean a book that explains ewerything in tankwarfare (WW2 Battles, tactics, angels and moore. The best book that i know is the Finish book named "Punaiset panssarit" Red Tanks (in Finnish only) by Pekka Kantakoski hi is a colonel something(eversti luutnantti). It is explaining more areas that i can write here. In Finland it can be orderd from this addres PS-Elso Oy Lähdetie 22, 14700 Hauho fonenumber 03-654 9925. >These translations i found in the net Capturing of first T-34 While division Lagus continued attacking towards Petroskoi and Syväri powerplant lieutenant Niittyläs platoon was left to support 5th Division, which´s Infantry regiment 23 first crossed Syväri near the powerplant. Bridgehead was largened by 17th division. Soviets started counter-attack to push finns back to the northern beach of Syväri river. Two tanks of Niittyläs platoon also took part in these defensive battles. On 2nd of October (1941) four tanks attacked against Niittlyläs platoon. These tanks were new type that finnish tankers hadn´t earlier seen or heard about on battlefield. Niittyläs T-26 tanks opened fire but 45mm rounds just bounced off from sloped front armours. Totally 40 rounds were fired. For some reason russian tanks didn´t fire any shots and turned back. Soon russians attacked again and 18 tanks rushed towards finnish positions. Again the fire of own tanks bounced off with no effect, but infantry managed to destroy five tanks with satchel charges. After the battle it seemed that two undamaged soviet tanks had got stuck onto stumps. All soviet tanks were later inspected to been T-34 tanks. Lieutenant Mäntylä, sergeant Laitinen and private Heino went off to capture T-34 which had been left near finnish positions. Crew had left the tank. Other stump under the tank was sawed off and the bigger one was exploded. Engine was turned on and tank was driven away. T-34 was brand new. Only four rounds were missing from ammo racks. Next night our tankers went off to capture another T-34 which was stuck on stups. Crew was still in tank and hatches couldn´t be opened. Finns took upper parts of periscopes and left the place. Next day Niittyläs men returned to tank and crew was tried to drive out even with fire extinguisher. Hatch opened and Hand-grenade flew out. Few shots were shot into tank with pistol. Then some infantry-men came to tank. Commander had promissed a holiday for them of destroying that tank. Tank was exploded with satchel charge. Next winter finnish tankers, Lauri Heino with them, returned to tank to take some spare parts of it. They removed the engine, gearbox, steering system and some smaller parts. Pekka Kantakoski: Punaiset panssarit (Red Tanks) Capturing of KV-1c In late winter 1942 near Syväri powerplant Red armys KV-1 tanks had driven many times near finnish lines and fired at them. At that time finnish anti-tank guns had no effect against KV-1:s. Finns also brought 76mm anti-aircraft gun there, which could scratch a little piece from KV-1:s turret, but had no other effect. Pioneers boosted mines by putting more TNT under the mines. One KV-1 drove to mine like this and it´s track broke. Private Lauri Heino and mechanican Helminen from armoured brigade and squad of pioneers decided to "steal" that tank. When night and darkness came, our tankers sneaked to tank standing on no-man´s land and fixed the broken track. Soon after that at night 23./24.4.1942 KV-1:s engine thundered and Heino drove the tank behind own lines. Russians started huge fireworks with all kind of weapons to prevent finns capturing that tank. Large barge was waiting at the beach of Syväri river, where KV-1 was loaded with earlier captured T-34. Both tanks travelled 20-25 kilometers to Vaasen. There tanks were loaded to train and moved to Äänislinna. Pekka Kantakoski: Punaiset panssarit (Red Tanks) If you boys have some good information on Tank books please tell me. [This message has been edited by Tortfeasor (edited December 09, 2000).]

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.
Post #: 1
- 12/9/2000 11:06:00 PM   
RUsco

Try "The View from the Turret, The 743rd Tank Battalion During WW2" Good book on tank battalion assigned to and Infanrty Division. Can be found at www.articlesofwar.com

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 2
- 12/10/2000 1:51:00 AM   
Hornet

My hobby is 3D modelling and I'm always looking for reference material. Does anyone know a good book or a website which would have blueprints of tanks? I have only find one good site: http://tiger1e.com/ .

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 3
- 12/10/2000 2:14:00 AM   
Tortfeasor

I think you have all blueprints of russian tanks at this address http://history.vif2.ru/outlines/outlines.html and at this address you have german tank info http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzer.htm
quote:

Originally posted by Hornet: My hobby is 3D modelling and I'm always looking for reference material. Does anyone know a good book or a website which would have blueprints of tanks? I have only find one good site: http://tiger1e.com/ .

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 4
- 12/10/2000 2:21:00 AM   
jerrek

from the descriptions of those battles it is just as well from the finns the the russian crews were so poorly trained. I seem to remember about some crews just having a few hours driving practice but not actually firing any rounds, sounds like they went to the finnish front.

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 5
- 12/10/2000 6:34:00 PM   
RUsco

Try www.onwar.com . They have some good line drawings and information on tanks from some of the participants. Mostly major powers,but some minors as well.

(in reply to Tortfeasor)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Good military Tank books. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI