Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  147 148 [149] 150 151   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 10:28:55 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

the one on the left seems to be having problem with knots...the one on the right seems to have a tummy ache...

I can't help the one on the left any, but I could offer some 'succor' to the one on the right...

I'm very good w/ knots but unable to cure a tummy ache, hmmm . . . .

it must be these ladies lucky day...two chivalrous gentlemen ready to help two damsels in distress!

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 4441
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 10:29:23 PM   
Kwik E Mart

new pagey goodliness...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 4442
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 10:37:43 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

I don't know how that will impact Brother Dixie

Dixie's at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, I think he does transports.

He does tankers.

Tankers and transports, mostly the transport role at the moment. 216 is heavily involved in the Afghanistan airbridge which takes most of our time.

Still nothing in the detail sorted yet, but we (the RAF) are losing 5000 bods. No idea as yet where they're going to come from or how this affects me trying to extend my service dates. I've been told that the SDSR won't affect my chances of further service, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Still, Harriers are gone. VC-10 and Tristar are going. RAF Scotland is winding down. No Nimrods, not sure how the TN feel about that. Tornado fleet is being scaled back. Several bases will be closed. maybe the Pongoes will move in when we move out.

The Nimrod situation doesn't affect me directly, but who knows what will happen down the line. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be on 216 now until either myself or the Tristar is out of service, the out date isn't far ahead for either of us now so they probably won't be sending us masses of manpower just to move them again soon.

If civvy street wasn't such a mess I wouldn't be too concerned, but the chances of getting a job that pays as well as this one are probably quite slim back home. Time to look into airline licences and OU courses methinks.

I'll stop now before I start ranting about politics I can discuss more away from the public eye if you really want to know what I think

brother dixie, i feel your pain...when i got my commission, there were 24 P-3 Orion squadrons in the US Navy...when the soviets decided to throw in the towel, that number got reduced to 12...pretty much a career limiting event, unless you had "golden boy" status...i've been out of the service for 12 years now and things are well...keep the faith...

And KEM actually understates it....There were 24 "active" squadrons. Plus two training squadrons,12 Reserve Squadrons,two "RAG" or over sized training squadrons,and two Master Augment Squadrons, which were special reserve squadrons that could triple the size of active squadrons. Of all that, only 1 smaller "RAG" is left. So in reality there were fourty squadrons. Now there is 13 (counting the one training squadron). And the Naval air Reserve not longer exists. There are no fighter squadrons.no anti-submarine squadrons,no heavy attack squadrons, all gone. We have two less carriers , and the average carrier airgroup has shrunk from 85-90 planes to 35 to 40 on a really good day!

And who needs it? After all, we'll never fight another war (let alone two) now will we?

Post #: 4443
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 10:50:43 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He does tankers.

Tankers and transports, mostly the transport role at the moment. 216 is heavily involved in the Afghanistan airbridge which takes most of our time.

Still nothing in the detail sorted yet, but we (the RAF) are losing 5000 bods. No idea as yet where they're going to come from or how this affects me trying to extend my service dates. I've been told that the SDSR won't affect my chances of further service, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Still, Harriers are gone. VC-10 and Tristar are going. RAF Scotland is winding down. No Nimrods, not sure how the TN feel about that. Tornado fleet is being scaled back. Several bases will be closed. maybe the Pongoes will move in when we move out.

The Nimrod situation doesn't affect me directly, but who knows what will happen down the line. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be on 216 now until either myself or the Tristar is out of service, the out date isn't far ahead for either of us now so they probably won't be sending us masses of manpower just to move them again soon.

If civvy street wasn't such a mess I wouldn't be too concerned, but the chances of getting a job that pays as well as this one are probably quite slim back home. Time to look into airline licences and OU courses methinks.

I'll stop now before I start ranting about politics I can discuss more away from the public eye if you really want to know what I think

brother dixie, i feel your pain...when i got my commission, there were 24 P-3 Orion squadrons in the US Navy...when the soviets decided to throw in the towel, that number got reduced to 12...pretty much a career limiting event, unless you had "golden boy" status...i've been out of the service for 12 years now and things are well...keep the faith...

And KEM actually understates it....There were 24 "active" squadrons. Plus two training squadrons,12 Reserve Squadrons,two "RAG" or over sized training squadrons,and two Master Augment Squadrons, which were special reserve squadrons that could triple the size of active squadrons. Of all that, only 1 smaller "RAG" is left. So in reality there were fourty squadrons. Now there is 13 (counting the one training squadron). And the Naval air Reserve not longer exists. There are no fighter squadrons.no anti-submarine squadrons,no heavy attack squadrons, all gone. We have two less carriers , and the average carrier airgroup has shrunk from 85-90 planes to 35 to 40 on a really good day!

And who needs it? After all, we'll never fight another war (let alone two) now will we?

all true brother steve...i'm extremely proud to have served in our armed forces and enjoyed the experience overall...i guess i was just trying to relate to brother dixie that there is life after military service...i'm confident things will work out for him, even if the future seems bleak now...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4444
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 10:52:35 PM   
VSWG

Tithe... 

Post #: 4445
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 10:57:29 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He does tankers.

all true brother steve...i'm extremely proud to have served in our armed forces and enjoyed the experience overall...i guess i was just trying to relate to brother dixie that there is life after military service...i'm confident things will work out for him, even if the future seems bleak now...

Martin is a smart,talented young man. He will always be in demand.

Post #: 4446
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 10:57:42 PM   
scott64

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

Tithe... 

Off to run mayhem and destruction.

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 4447
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:00:04 PM   
VSWG

Going for a ride with KB, eh?

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 4448
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:21:32 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Finished reading the manual. Still a bunch of stuff that hasn't sunk in.

I think I'll start War and Peace next.

In Russian?

Its just as long and tedious in any language.

Im reading Quiet Don at the moment. Slightly less tedious.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4449
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:24:40 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

quote:

In Russian?

is that the one about the death of don knotts?

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 4450
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:26:02 PM   
Onime No Kyo

I got an email from the attorney of a deceased long lost relative (a contractor and businessman, apparently), offering me "usd$13.58O, OOO, 00" of inheritance. I wonder how much that is.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 4451
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:26:59 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

is that the one about the death of don knotts?

Nope. And its not a sequel to Godfather either. Its about Don Cossacks.

Post #: 4452
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:33:59 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I got an email from the attorney of a deceased long lost relative (a contractor and businessman, apparently), offering me "usd$13.58O, OOO, 00" of inheritance. I wonder how much that is.

I can understand your confusion. Lots of letter "O"s instead of the number "0". I wonder if that's like asking someone what a car cost and getting the reply, "O, about $12,000".

Post #: 4453
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:36:59 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

I can understand your confusion. Lots of letter "O"s instead of the number "0". I wonder if that's like asking someone what a car cost and getting the reply, "O, about $12,000".

Well, its that and the fact that I have grown accustomed to "." serving as a separator between whole numbers and decimals.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4454
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:37:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

Hi guys.  It's pretty serious around here.  Dixie, I know where you're coming from....

Question for you AFBs:  Do you get H81-A3 replacements in Scenario 1?

Mike, there are a handful in the pool at start, but no more produced.

That's great news, Mike!

I think there's a total of around 75 airframes, IIRC, Mike. You may also be heartened by the fact that the AVG historically withdraws on July 5, 1942. Only have to put up with the pests for a few months.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 4455
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:41:39 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

Never read that one. Read "Quiet flows the Don", and it's sequel though. Real "life sucks then everyone dies" stuff. Made me want to slit Both of my wrist.
In Russian?

Post #: 4456
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:42:42 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

Hi guys.  It's pretty serious around here.  Dixie, I know where you're coming from....

Question for you AFBs:  Do you get H81-A3 replacements in Scenario 1?

Mike, there are a handful in the pool at start, but no more produced.

That's great news, Mike!

I think there's a total of around 75 airframes, IIRC, Mike. You may also be heartened by the fact that the AVG historically withdraws on July 5, 1942. Only have to put up with the pests for a few months.

Actually it converts. To USAAF. And gets real airplanes. Lots of them.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4457
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:43:00 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Oh, and after last night's Dirty Jobs episode, I can honestly claim that I would no be able to identify a binturong at least 3 times out of 10.

Post #: 4458
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:49:07 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In Russian?

Never read that one. Read "Quiet flows the Don", and it's sequel though. Real "life sucks then everyone dies" stuff. Made me want to slit Both of my wrist.

Oh, thats how it translates into English? I never knew. Any case, thats the one I'm reading.

I've loved everything else I've read by him.

Ever read They Fought for the Fatherland?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4459
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/20/2010 11:55:14 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In Russian?

Oh, thats how it translates into English? I never knew. Any case, thats the one I'm reading.

No. After reading these two books, I was really off on the author. 1st time I read them in college. Then again a couple of years later. And I decided that if I ever wanted to off myself due to depression, I'd read them again. Sorry Yuri. But I'm glad that your enjoying them. Maybe they lose some poetry in translation or something. Or maybe you need to have a Russian soul.

Post #: 4460
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 12:00:41 AM   
Onime No Kyo

The latter. Among other things I think its pretty good history. I havent gotten to anything significant in this one, but They Fought for the Fatherland was very gritty and realistic, no party line cheerleading.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4461
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 12:22:22 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

The latter. Among other things I think its pretty good history. I havent gotten to anything significant in this one, but They Fought for the Fatherland was very gritty and realistic, no party line cheerleading.

Then I'll have to look for it. An english edition, that is. It's translated as "They Fought for Their Country" , but Amazon shows it unavailable. I'll poke around on some of the used bookstore nets.

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 10/21/2010 12:28:05 AM >

Post #: 4462
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 12:24:46 AM   
USSAmerica

Hockey rink - Tithe. 

(Unfortunately, not any AE time yet)

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4463
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 12:51:35 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Question: While reading the manual I discovered that you can actually see what the unit structure is. Now, I had been wondering where all the deployable US units were. I just took a look and it seems that a good many of them are restricted. Is the intention for the player to spend PP?

Post #: 4464
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 12:53:08 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

Then I'll have to look for it. An english edition, that is. It's translated as "They Fought for Their Country" , but Amazon shows it unavailable. I'll poke around on some of the used bookstore nets.

The movie is decent, all star cast (if you dont mind that 70's-ish camera spinning and lame attempts at special effects) and very faithful to the story.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4465
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 1:23:55 AM   
BrucePowers

Bumper sticker on a car in a restaurant parking lot this evening......

When you absolutely positively have to destroy something overnight To the right of this was the embelm of the US Marine Corps.

Post #: 4466
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 1:24:45 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Oh, and after last night's Dirty Jobs episode, I can honestly claim that I would no be able to identify a binturong at least 3 times out of 10.

Ah, but can you be sure which of those had pulmonary microlithiasis?

ETA: The previous message has been brought to you by the veterinary pathology humor series. Although I don't have tenure, I'll be here all week.

Post #: 4467
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 1:25:58 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In Russian?

No. After reading these two books, I was really off on the author. 1st time I read them in college. Then again a couple of years later. And I decided that if I ever wanted to off myself due to depression, I'd read them again. Sorry Yuri. But I'm glad that your enjoying them. Maybe they lose some poetry in translation or something. Or maybe you need to have a Russian soul.

They have souls?

ETA: KIDDING! KIDDING!!!!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4468
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 1:26:42 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Question: While reading the manual I discovered that you can actually see what the unit structure is. Now, I had been wondering where all the deployable US units were. I just took a look and it seems that a good many of them are restricted. Is the intention for the player to spend PP?

Yup.

Post #: 4469
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/21/2010 1:29:20 AM   
BrucePowers

tithe

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4470
Page:   <<   < prev  147 148 [149] 150 151   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  147 148 [149] 150 151   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI