Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cracking Fortress Burma?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Cracking Fortress Burma? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/24/2010 5:09:15 PM   
Marcus_Antonius

Any tips on getting into Burma as Japanese?

Its seems rather easy for the Allied player to shut you out at Pegu if he has a mind to divert everything he can to defend it. Early game supply restrictions for the Japanese in Thailand are also a handicap.

Rangoon is obviously the key to holding onto Southern Burma, but how feasible is an amphibious assault?
Post #: 1
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/24/2010 5:15:24 PM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: a_gonatas

Rangoon is obviously the key to holding onto Southern Burma, but how feasible is an amphibious assault?

Very feasible, if the Allied player has moved all troops to Pegu...

Keep in mind that the Allied troops in Burma have extremely low experience, bad morale and bad leaders. Japanese troops are A LOT better. Also, you should have air superiority and should be able to bomb his troops. There are no tanks and no artillery to speak of in Burma at the beginning, too, so hardly a fortress... Just don't give them time to dig in, train and fill out.

(in reply to Marcus_Antonius)
Post #: 2
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/24/2010 5:23:22 PM   
Marcus_Antonius

That's all true, but it is rather surprising how fast the Brits can mass up in South Burma. They can build up much more quickly at start than the Japanese can, and you the Japanese really can't afford to divert too much to the area before Singapore is finished and the DEI is under control.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 3
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/24/2010 5:28:33 PM   
VSWG

Are these troops only from Burma, or also from India? If the latter, your opponent is pursuing an extremely dangerous stratregy, as you can ignore Burma altogether and go for a landing in northeastern India (Calcutta area), thus cutting his supply and retreat route.

Post #: 4
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/24/2010 5:37:52 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

That's all true, but it is rather surprising how fast the Brits can mass up in South Burma. They can build up much more quickly at start than the Japanese can, and you the Japanese really can't afford to divert too much to the area before Singapore is finished and the DEI is under control.

In my experience, the Allies can shift enough reinforcements to the Pegu-Rangoon area to block a Japanese advance until IJA divisions are released from the conquest of Singapore and/or the DEI. And if I'm playing the Japanese, I hope they do so.

If the Allies are leaning that far forward in Burma, the LOC to India will be very weak, and vulnerable to a Japanese invasion from the sea. There is an opportunity to pocket and destroy a lot of LCUs without going deep into India. This is especially helpful with British divisions, with their low replacement rates. Surround and destroy them, and most of them will be effectively done for the war.

If they retreat north to Mandalay, let the Monsoon attrition waste them. They are out of position, and you can grab chunks of Ceylon and the Indian Coast at your leisure.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 5
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/24/2010 5:41:55 PM   
Marcus_Antonius

Yes, I believe he is pulling everything he can to the Burma area, and I can appreciate what you are suggesting. In our latest game he appears to have stripped Singapore of air protection to the point that I managed to put two divisions ashore at Mersing without any shipping losses around Jan 1.

But my opponent is not a stupid player. I am pushing the conquest timeline forward as fast as I can as he remains passive, but I fully expect to hit something nasty on Java.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 6
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/24/2010 6:26:11 PM   
VSWG

So you're saying he has reinforced both Burma and Java with troops from rear areas? Awesome! Isolate Java with your carriers and send the troops from Malaya and Luzon after they have taken Singapore and Clark/Bataan to northern Australia and northeastern India. Then mop up the troops in Burma and on Java later on at your convenience.

Post #: 7
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/24/2010 6:40:00 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

One of the few advantages the Allies have in the beginning is that they do not have to repeat history. There is a full British Division sailing to Singapore that historically would have been lost there. Diverting that to Burma will not stop the Japanese, but it is a good foundation in building a late 1942 offensive. Also, you can send all or part of the Australian troops that appear in Aden early on to India and Burma. Historically, neither of these things happened and these are some of the best troops the allies have.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 8
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/24/2010 6:56:24 PM   
herwin

quote:

Any tips on getting into Burma as Japanese?

Its seems rather easy for the Allied player to shut you out at Pegu if he has a mind to divert everything he can to defend it. Early game supply restrictions for the Japanese in Thailand are also a handicap.

They'll retreat to Rangoon. Cut them off by sending armour to Prome.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 9
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/25/2010 2:48:38 AM   
topeverest

As the empire, you hope for allied actions like this in burma.  It will be a bountiful take by the time you are done, if you follow the guidelines provided 

Andy M

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 10
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/25/2010 7:40:42 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: topeverest

As the empire, you hope for allied actions like this in burma.  It will be a bountiful take by the time you are done, if you follow the guidelines provided 

That's not an allied action--it's the game engine that controls the retreat. I've seen it happen twice.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 11
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/25/2010 8:49:35 AM   
Bliztk

I sent a tank RGT and occupied the hex NW of Pegu. When I assaulted Pegu the Allies retreated towards Rangoon. Repeated the same tactic at Rangoon and the allies retreated towards Prome. I repeated the step another time to ensure the Allies didn´t retreat by land towards Akyab.

Voila, and three divisions gone to the POW camps.

Check the screenshots from my AAR vs herwin, he had stopped me cold at Pegu, but when 15th Army landed at Moulmein the stand was converted in a massacre

< Message edited by Bliztk -- 10/25/2010 8:51:06 AM >

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 12
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/25/2010 1:09:29 PM   
tigercub

Cracking Fortress Burma LOL its more like a toilet with a broken door....just bomb bomb bomb his men and if he does bring all he men to Pegu more for the prison camp...but wile this going on you are moving up the ARMOR plus the Cav,112 reg,55 combat Eng and more.... bring the 33 div from japan as soon a posible turn 1 move fast AP to pick it up and send it to bangkok, and rail it up then march it over as well bring over the para to keep a ace at hand. The 33div will be needed in singapore later and the units you will have in the south will do most of the work, you do have the airpower to handle both little fronts...only if you have to use the 33 Div to crack Pegu line use it, after pegu is in your hands it is all down hill from there for them, just keep up the bombing..but when you can see the its not going to be a need the 33RD send it back down to singapore with all speed.

Winning the air war will win you the ground war in this battle....so make ready the air fields

< Message edited by tigercub -- 10/25/2010 3:38:56 PM >

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 13
RE: Cracking Fortress Burma? - 10/26/2010 4:44:52 AM   
findmeifyoucan

How come no one has commented on cracking Bataan?

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Cracking Fortress Burma? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI