Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Airforce purge of 1944

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Airforce purge of 1944 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 11:01:33 AM   
RUDOLF

In 1944 around 50% of the IJ Fighters will be withdrawed it seems.

I wonder, if it would not be better for the player, to just make sure he moves out everything he will ever need from China/Mansuria prior to this date, and then simply just don't withdraw a singel squadron when the 1944 Airforce purge comes up.

I have already moved out every Artillery Unit, Every Aviation Unit, every engineer unit, every Division and every AA Unit from Manchuria.
I did this via the 2nd Air Division in 1942. (Is WAD). To avoid the Garrison level I moved in Mongolian units and a few crappy Chinese units to Manchuria.

This new force (basically the entire Mansurien Garrison except Mansurien Army units) now is deployed around at different locations in my empire.
I hold New Zeland in the South, PagoPago in the East, the Allusions in the North, and up to and including DiegoGarcia in the West. So the Empire is huge and a lot for me to guard.

For this reason, I don't feel that I can afford withdrawing the 50% of the Airforce that It seems as I will be loosing in 1944.
All Air units that can be expanded, have via the Akagi Expention method been expanded to Size 90 Air Units.

I pushed out the Ki-84a Frank at 7/43 and make 900 of it pr month, I don't want to be withdrawing squadrons now.
I also got the George in 1/43 (I recharch a lot) .. and make 700 pr month, I now I have over 1100 George's flying in my empire. (HR: Any IJN fighter may upgrade to any IJN fighter)

So, is there ANY effects of Ignoring the Aircraft Withdraw of 1944? I mean, I can arrange it so that I won't need ANY PP's during 44, 45 and 46
and if I do then its no problem to keep my massive airforce right?

Its now mid 1943 and my Allied Opponent is struggeling, he is a expert player so if I give him anything he will make the best out of it, so
I don't want to withdraw a single squadron. Right now the forntlines are totally static and I have the initiative.

< Message edited by RUDOLF -- 10/26/2010 11:38:04 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 11:12:46 AM   
Djordje

If you are playing against AI everything is allowed. You will only lose PPs but you should know that not every squadron that withdraws is gone for good, some are reformed and return on map, sometimes in larger numbers.

If you are playing PBEM then you should at least talk about all this with your opponent before you do so. From your posts recently I've noted that you are "playing the game" when playing AE, while most of the people on this forum try to simulate history, meaning that you are willing to do anything and everything that is possible within the game engine, no matter of reality, while most of the players try to stay within historical boundaries.

2nd Air Division is not WAD, it is an exploit of the unfinished system and that can easily be seen from the previous thread you started. Saying again in the new thread that it is WAD can just confuse some people that are not aware of the issue. Same goes for your "I have accelerated Frank for 14 months" posts and reaction it caused among players that thought it was going to happen in every game while in fact it is impossible to achieve in normal game.

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 2
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 11:24:24 AM   
RUDOLF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Djordje

If you are playing against AI everything is allowed. You will only lose PPs but you should know that not every squadron that withdraws is gone for good, some are reformed and return on map, sometimes in larger numbers.

If you are playing PBEM then you should at least talk about all this with your opponent before you do so. From your posts recently I've noted that you are "playing the game" when playing AE, while most of the people on this forum try to simulate history, meaning that you are willing to do anything and everything that is possible within the game engine, no matter of reality, while most of the players try to stay within historical boundaries.

2nd Air Division is not WAD, it is an exploit of the unfinished system and that can easily be seen from the previous thread you started. Saying again in the new thread that it is WAD can just confuse some people that are not aware of the issue. Same goes for your "I have accelerated Frank for 14 months" posts and reaction it caused among players that thought it was going to happen in every game while in fact it is impossible to achieve in normal game.

No, the 2nd Air Div I asked dev's about for many months ago, and I got a PM back verifying the intentions. You won't be able to convince me that it is in any other way. It is WAD.

Recharging Frank and George is also within the boundary of Realism, there is nothing wrong with doing recharch. I prioritized 2 types of Fighters and put all my attention to it. I flew around with Nates in 1942 due to it. Still fair game. Germany could made the MP-44 in 1941 but did not until 1944, same applies for many of the types of weapon systems and aircraft that the Japanese made. I used to have a list on my PC saying what items that could serial produced earlier, and both the Frank and George was on it. No bad conscience there.

The Game gives a lot of advantages to both sides that are unhistorical, ie. The Allies would normally declared some Citys for Open Citys. (ie. Manilla) ect but in the early war this is not done and the effect of it is that the Allies hold longer then historical possible. The Singapore wather supplies was captured (its on Malaya side) and the effects contributed to the surrender of Singapore. Again this is things we cant experience in our games. The Allied Air force can bomb Palambang, Miri ect in 1942 but IRL it would never happan, as their mindset sayed we will soon have it back.

So, if at once an advantage like this comes into the direction of the Japanese then so be it.

Regarding Manchuria, it has a Garrison level of 8000, in my game it is 8310 AV in Manchuria.
I follow the doctrine that if Soviet Attack we withdraw to Korea, several high Ranking officers had this "defeatist" opinion within the Kwutang Army.
Still then acceptable to move the Mansurien Army and use it were it is needed.

My Overall comment to your post is that everything you say goes both ways, at different stages of the war.
The Allies have a huge amount of advantages, and some times Buggs give them more advantages (like no working Ground to Air Radar Bugg).

If you look at this from a balance perspective, it still means that the Allies will win, I simply just make it more interesting to be on the loosing end and also make it more challenging for the Allied player.

I make over 1600 Fighters (Frank + George) pr month, should I "not" do this just because Japan decided not to do it?
That it was not done IRL does not mean it could not been done, and if it could not been done then the designer have failed in the development of this game, as it can be done in this game. Before buying this game I sent a huge PM to one of the developer, and I got anwser to my PM describing the developer(s?) perspectives and decissions, the anwsers was accapteble, nothing great - but fair enugth. And i bought the game due to this anwsers. Based on this I make my decission of what was/is possible and not.

My question in this post however, is - would there be any negative effects of not withdrawing any squadrons in 1944?
Normally I would think "na, bad political relation and they would fired me".. BUT now I have given them China, New Zeland, and a massive Empire - so now they should like me alot, ie. letting me keep the units if I wanted to. So I have no moral problems by keeping them all, question is if there is any practical effects I have not thought of ??

< Message edited by RUDOLF -- 10/26/2010 11:45:23 AM >

(in reply to Djordje)
Post #: 3
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 12:11:15 PM   
Smeulders

There are no ill effects that I can see from not withdrawing the units if you believe you won't need any more PPs ever.

A bit off-topic, can you show us the PM that vindicates your belief that the 2nd Air Division is WAD and not gamey. (As opposed to WAD in the sense that is is working exactly as programmed)

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 4
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 12:25:25 PM   
noguaranteeofsanity

Personally I think the transfer of subordinate units of the various Headquarters, between commands is WAD and technically not a bug, but it is a gamey cheat that can be abused or misused, when you are simply using it to avoid having to pay the full PP cost of each unit individually. Against the AI, it probably isn't that big a deal, since the AI ignores HQ restrictions itself, but against a human component I think it is gaming the system and essentially exploiting a loophole that leads to unbalanced games. Although that appears to be how you are approaching the game, looking for ways to exploit the system.

Ask yourself this, would you be happy playing the Japanese side with the Allied Withdrawl option turned off? Because that is essentially what you are proposing for the Japanese side.

I don't believe the Allies have any advantage due to any of the current bugs, the radar bug effects both sides equally, in fact the problems with attack bombers would give the Japanese the advantage in this regard, although is hardly a game breaker.

Finally if you did ignore all the scheduled withdrawls and use up all your PPs, are you happy with the computer controlled choices of leaders? You might not need to transfer units around, but what happens if the leader of an air unit is killed and needs a replacement? Or are you happy with naval task forces led by one of the ship's captain, instead of a flag officer? The PP costs involved might be small, but you are going to have absolutely no PPs for the rest of the war.

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 5
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 12:34:30 PM   
Djordje

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUDOLF

No, the 2nd Air Div I asked dev's about for many months ago, and I got a PM back verifying the intentions. You won't be able to convince me that it is in any other way. It is WAD.

I don't know which one of the devs answered your questionss, maybe it was someone who did not work on HQ and PP model. Whatever you decide to believe is up to you ofc, but it is a fact that just few days ago devs posted in your other thread saying that HQ and PP thing was not finished and was left in the game "as it is" as a lesser evil. It is up to each individual player to play the game any way he likes it, but if you are playing PBEM you should at least speak with your opponent about it.

quote:

Recharging Frank and George is also within the boundary of Realism, there is nothing wrong with doing recharch. I prioritized 2 types of Fighters and put all my attention to it. I flew around with Nates in 1942 due to it. Still fair game. Germany could made the MP-44 in 1941 but did not until 1944, same applies for many of the types of weapon systems and aircraft that the Japanese made. I used to have a list on my PC saying what items that could serial produced earlier, and both the Frank and George was on it. No bad conscience there.

70 years after the war we have every possible bit of information and more importantly we know which of the weapon systems will work better and which ones will be complete failure. People in 40s did not know that. Accelerating planes can be fine to a certain point, but you have to know one thing, in this game only Japan can do it. So, if in some alternate reality Japan started producing Franks in early 43 don't you think USA would have reacted accordingly and accelerated and mass produced P47 and P51 models? I'm sure they would, and whatever WW2 Japan was able to do, USA was probably able to do it faster and better. Yet if you do this in the game, your Allied opponent can only watch how your Franks slaughter his P40 in early 1943, without being able to do anything. This game is far too complex for such small team of devs to anticipate and prevent every opportunity of exploit so we as players should restrain ourselves from doing unbelievable things, even though game engine maybe allows them.

quote:

The Game gives a lot of advantages to both sides that are unhistorical, ie. The Allies would normally declared some Citys for Open Citys. (ie. Manilla) ect but in the early war this is not done and the effect of it is that the Allies hold longer then historical possible. The Singapore wather supplies was captured (its on Malaya side) and the effects contributed to the surrender of Singapore. Again this is things we cant experience in our games. The Allied Air force can bomb Palambang, Miri ect in 1942 but IRL it would never happan, as their mindset sayed we will soon have it back.

So, if at once an advantage like this comes into the direction of the Japanese then so be it.

I agree with you here, those are some of the things that favor Allies more. But as Japan there is at least something you can do about those situations, you can react to it and turn it to your advantage. For example, if your opponent decides to defend both Manila and Clark Field that means he is splitting his forces. You could go for full scale attack on Clark Field and you would surely take it much faster than if he had defended it with all his forces. Once you have Clark Field his Manila forces have nowhere to retreat and you can in fact clear Philippines faster than if he had kept his forces in one big army based at Clark, to retreat to Bataan.

Same goes for Singapore, you can invade Mersing early in the game and cut off all his forces up in Malayan peninsula. That was not possible in real life because of the proximity of Singapore, but in the game you know that once you have taken care of POW and Repulse and have suppressed Singapore airfields for few days there is nothing to stop you.

And in both those cases you can bring additional forces from other theaters to speed things up. So Japan has options to react and adapt so those things balance each other in the end. With production being only one sided that is not the case.

quote:

Regarding Manchuria, it has a Garrison level of 8000, in my game it is 8310 AV in Manchuria.
I follow the doctrine that if Soviet Attack we withdraw to Korea, several high Ranking officers had this "defeatist" opinion within the Kwutang Army.
Still then acceptable to move the Mansurien Army and use it were it is needed.

That number of 8000 is just that, pure number devs have put into the game. It could have been something else, perhaps dynamic number that increases as the time goes by so we would have to bring more forces to Manchuria. It was impossible to say what number of troops was needed in Manchuria to prevent Soviet invasion. We as players have exact safe number, if we are above 8000 everything is fine and that single thing is very problematic.

Abandoning Manchuria was never an option, whole Japanese economy was dependent on it. The fact that maybe some officers suggested it means nothing, you have to remember that many more officers thought they would have to scuttle Hiryu and perhaps Soryu after Pearl Harbor attack because they would have no fuel to return home. It was even part of the plan at some point as opposed to just thoughts of some officers on abandoning Manchuria. What do you think of scuttling two CVs on your first turn?

quote:

My Overall comment to your post is that everything you say goes both ways, at different stages of the war.
The Allies have a huge amount of advantages, and some times Buggs give them more advantages (like no working Ground to Air Radar Bugg).

Everything except production which is one sided. As far as ground radar is concerned my experience is that it hurts both sides equally. Thanks to it I was able to get 50:1 kill ratio in a single day over Chittagong in my PBEM, sweeping with only Oscars at 20000 feet in May 1942. It hurts defending side to the point where air model is almost broken, but I have full trust in devs it will be fixed soon.

quote:

If you look at this from a balance perspective, it still means that the Allies will win, I simply just make it more interesting to be on the loosing end and also make it more challenging for the Allied player.

I make over 1600 Fighters (Frank + George) pr month, should I "not" do this just because Japan decided not to do it?

That it was not done IRL does not mean it could not been done, and if it could not been done then the designer have failed in the development in this game, as it can be done in this game. Before buying this game I sent a huge PM to one of the developer, and I got anwser to my PM describing the developer(s?) perspectives and decissions, the anwsers was accapteble, nothing great - but fair enugth. And i bought the game due to this anwsers. Based on this I make my decission of what was/is possible and not.

It is not like Japanese just decided not to produce such number of planes. They were in fact not able to produce much more than they did, because of strategic resources shortages. Like I said above this game is so complex and it is almost impossible to predict and prevent every possible exploit players can find. For start we would need complete economy and logistics model that represents full scale industry and economy of WW2 Japan. I don't think many players would like to play Railroad Tycoon to transport aluminum, rubber, coal and oil just to be able to feed factories built in Sim City to be able to produce war materials for WITP... Saying that devs failed to develop the game is not fair, they did a great job with WITP and AE.

quote:

My question in this post however, is - would there be any negative effects of not withdrawing any squadrons in 1944?
Normally I would think "na, bad political relation and they would fired me".. BUT now I have given them China, New Zeland, and a massive Empire - so now they should like me alot, ie. letting me keep the units if I wanted to. So I have no moral problems by keeping them all, question is if there is any practical effects I have not thought of ??

I have to ask you, where do you think those units went to once they were withdrawn in real life? Vacation? Europe to help Germany? No, they were withdrawn to be reorganized as new units. Some of them were lost in Philippines and were deleted on paper and reformed under new names back in Home Islands, and you get those units.
In fact you don't lose anything, you get new units to replace them in 1944 and 1945. By keeping them you in fact get double units, you get much more than historically was possible and that is the problem I am trying to point out. You have the ability to produce much more planes than historically, and you are going to double number of squadrons you can put your planes into. You also have means to train lots of skilled replacement pilots... Each of those for fantasy in reality and when we combine all 3 together in the game it produces really strange results.

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 6
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 1:07:14 PM   
Dobey455

quote:

How is this an allied advantage. It affects BOTH sides.

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 7
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 1:26:02 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dobey

quote:

How is this an allied advantage. It affects BOTH sides.

It shows RUDOLPH for what he is..., a slavering, drooling JFB. The reality is that it's a tremendous Allied disadvantage, because the Allies historically had so much more and better radars. Same thing is true with the Flak bug. It's the Allies who are well and truly "hosed" because while Japanese flak started the war rather poor, it never got much better. The Allies, however, continually added more and better guns, much improved fire control, proximity fuzes. etc.

By 1944, Allied flak was many times as effective as Japanese flak..., just compare the fire control of an American quad 40mm and a Japanese triple 25mm mount. One has it's own fire control radar..., the other has a guy pointing with a stick! So who is getting hurt when both are rendered ineffective by a "bug"?

(in reply to Dobey455)
Post #: 8
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 1:32:36 PM   
eloso

I don't see what the problem is. As long as unit withdrawals is turned on, then it affects both sides. The allied side is forced to purge ships, ground units, and his air force throughout the game. Wouldn't it make it more interesting and challenging for the Japanese player if they didn't withdraw?

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 9
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 1:55:13 PM   
RUDOLF

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

Finally if you did ignore all the scheduled withdrawls and use up all your PPs, are you happy with the computer controlled choices of leaders? You might not need to transfer units around, but what happens if the leader of an air unit is killed and needs a replacement? Or are you happy with naval task forces led by one of the ship's captain, instead of a flag officer? The PP costs involved might be small, but you are going to have absolutely no PPs for the rest of the war.

Now that however is a very very good point.

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 10
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 2:04:35 PM   
RUDOLF

I like your replays.

When it comes to "lack of strategic resources" and limited Industry ect, this is a dynamic factor.
I don't have this problem in my game as much as Japan historically did as I have captured China, New Zeland and so on, this will resolve many of the historical resource problems.

When you mention bugs and exploits, and this that and the other, I agree to most of this as well.
It can be compared with the Allies evacuating 200 ships over a 2-3 day period from Java.. of course, many of this ships had its crews on shore leave or similar conditions and was unable to "just disrepair" over night because a war had started. So evacuating them within X amount of days would be equally exploitive.

Well enough about that, the case is the same - The Allied player will win in the end, what does it matter if he get's a little harder fight then historically.

< Message edited by RUDOLF -- 10/26/2010 2:07:06 PM >

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 11
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 2:21:12 PM   
Q-Ball

Air units are not that expensive to buy; 60-100 points for most in Manchuria. By 1944, you should have plenty of PPs, and you can probably buy every air unit in Manchuria with a month's allocation of PPs.

I don't understand what the big deal is paying retail. Buying the 2nd Air Div HQ is gamey.

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 12
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 4:10:41 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

That it was not done IRL does not mean it could not been done, and if it could not been done then the designer have failed in the development in this game, as it can be done in this game. Before buying this game I sent a huge PM to one of the developer, and I got anwser to my PM describing the developer(s?) perspectives and decissions, the anwsers was accapteble, nothing great - but fair enugth. And i bought the game due to this anwsers. Based on this I make my decission of what was/is possible and not.

It is not like Japanese just decided not to produce such number of planes. They were in fact not able to produce much more than they did, because of strategic resources shortages. Like I said above this game is so complex and it is almost impossible to predict and prevent every possible exploit players can find. For start we would need complete economy and logistics model that represents full scale industry and economy of WW2 Japan. I don't think many players would like to play Railroad Tycoon to transport aluminum, rubber, coal and oil just to be able to feed factories built in Sim City to be able to produce war materials for WITP... Saying that devs failed to develop the game is not fair, they did a great job with WITP and AE.

There is a further point here. The US actually canceled orders for many planes mid-way through the war on the grounds that they found they would not need as many as had been ordered. That's not even considering what could have been produced had they been forced to increase production capacities even more. So in the game the Allied player is set firm with the amount of planes the US actually sent to the theater; yet the US was producing at a greater rate and could have continued that rate; and the US could have increased production even more. Having IJ production be flexible serves a certain gaming purpose up to a point, but when ramped up too far it goes beyond the bounds of historical realities.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 10/26/2010 7:30:06 PM >

(in reply to Djordje)
Post #: 13
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 7:21:40 PM   
Patbgaming

Producing 1600 Fighters a month and expanded all units you could to 90. With 90 fighters in a unit why would you even need radar ? Are you short on Aviation Support Squads to keep all the planes flying ?

Of course if all of this was discussed with your PBEM opponent when you started the game, then " Rock On ".

I would think it should be referred to as a different version though. Maybe WITP WOW ?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 7:34:55 PM   
Mike Solli

With 90 plane units, there's no way he has enough aviation support to take care of them all.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Patbgaming)
Post #: 15
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 8:14:13 PM   
Djordje

Once base has 250 aviation support they will service any number of aircraft.
Level 9 and 10 airfields have no administration overstacking limit so if one wanted to go all the way into gamey world he could service all those thousands of aircraft with little problem.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 16
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 8:15:41 PM   
RUDOLF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

With 90 plane units, there's no way he has enough aviation support to take care of them all.

Well, of course I am limited here.
Im sending all I can to the front lines from all over the plase, but I for now have to many groups.
My enamy is increasing the pressure a little here and there, so I will for sure need them soon.

This is not a big problem as this 90 Size squadrons are mostlly in the rare areas acting training schools.

< Message edited by RUDOLF -- 10/26/2010 8:16:06 PM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 17
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/26/2010 8:38:22 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

Level 9 and 10 airfields have no administration overstacking limit so if one wanted to go all the way into gamey world he could service all those thousands of aircraft with little problem.

Yes, of course you are correct. Outside of Japan, there are few level 9 airfields and no level 10 airfields.

Just my opinion, but I think he's already all the way gamey....

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Djordje)
Post #: 18
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/27/2010 12:42:59 AM   
Zemke

quote:

I have already moved out every Artillery Unit, Every Aviation Unit, every engineer unit, every Division and every AA Unit from Manchuria.
I did this via the 2nd Air Division in 1942. (Is WAD). To avoid the Garrison level I moved in Mongolian units and a few crappy Chinese units to Manchuria.

For this reason, I don't feel that I can afford withdrawing the 50% of the Airforce that It seems as I will be loosing in 1944.
All Air units that can be expanded, have via the Akagi Expention method been expanded to Size 90 Air Units.

2nd Air Div move is gamey, exploitive and total BS.

The expansion to 90 of air units is also, gamey, exploitive and total BS.

The Ki-84 thing seems a little much to.....and your opponent agreed to this method or style of play?

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 19
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 10/27/2010 1:43:52 AM   
stuman

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

Now that however is a very very good point.

I thought the same thing. At first I had decided that maybe it didn't really matter if you used up your PPs. But I am not sure that I would want to give up the ability to change leaders.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 20
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 1:36:52 AM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

Yes, of course you are correct. Outside of Japan, there are few level 9 airfields and no level 10 airfields.

Just my opinion, but I think he's already all the way gamey....

I would think a "no rules" game would be fun. Knife cuts both ways.

< Message edited by bigred -- 11/12/2010 1:37:31 AM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 21
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 4:12:45 AM   
CV2

Elf has posted at least on 2 occasions on the board that the 2nd air is working as intended. Do a search if you want to check.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 22
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 7:26:06 AM   
castor troy

quote:

In 1944 around 50% of the IJ Fighters will be withdrawed it seems.

I wonder, if it would not be better for the player, to just make sure he moves out everything he will ever need from China/Mansuria prior to this date, and then simply just don't withdraw a singel squadron when the 1944 Airforce purge comes up.

I did this via the 2nd Air Division in 1942. (Is WAD).
To avoid the Garrison level I moved in Mongolian units and a few crappy Chinese units to Manchuria.

This new force (basically the entire Mansurien Garrison except Mansurien Army units) now is deployed around at different locations in my empire.
I hold New Zeland in the South, PagoPago in the East, the Allusions in the North, and up to and including DiegoGarcia in the West. So the Empire is huge and a lot for me to guard.

I pushed out the Ki-84a Frank at 7/43 and make 900 of it pr month , I don't want to be withdrawing squadrons now.
I also got the George in 1/43 (I recharch a lot) .. and make 700 pr month, I now I have over 1100 George's flying in my empire. (HR: Any IJN fighter may upgrade to any IJN fighter)

So, is there ANY effects of Ignoring the Aircraft Withdraw of 1944? I mean, I can arrange it so that I won't need ANY PP's during 44, 45 and 46
and if I do then its no problem to keep my massive airforce right?

Its now mid 1943 and my Allied Opponent is struggeling, he is a expert player so if I give him anything he will make the best out of it, so
I don't want to withdraw a single squadron. Right now the forntlines are totally static and I have the initiative.

lol, funny to have pretty much done everything that would most PBEM players call gamey and then complain about historical withdrawels the Allied have too? sorry Rudolf, this must be the 11/11 post, which is the starting date of carneval in Europe. I sure hope you will ever find a reliable, long lasting PBEM opponent on the forum, while I well doubt it. This reminds me of posts at the very beginning of WITP or totally borked AI games... but PBEM? lol, that would just be funny. And against the AI? Well, that would be just poor.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 11/12/2010 7:28:06 AM >

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 23
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 8:11:11 AM   
bigred

quote:

I sure hope you will ever find a reliable, long lasting PBEM opponent on the forum, while I well doubt it.

Funny you say this. I just sent Rudoph a PM chalenge to a new game. Only one house rule.

I think alot of the 5 star players hide behind house rules to negociate a pregame victory and to protect themselves from defeat.

I wonder if the word "gamey" is overused? Probably when you are getting your ass kicked.

< Message edited by bigred -- 11/12/2010 8:21:25 AM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 24
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 9:09:39 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred

quote:

I sure hope you will ever find a reliable, long lasting PBEM opponent on the forum, while I well doubt it.

Funny you say this. I just sent Rudoph a PM chalenge to a new game. Only one house rule.

I think alot of the 5 star players hide behind house rules to negociate a pregame victory and to protect themselves from defeat.

I wonder if the word "gamey" is overused? Probably when you are getting your ass kicked.

no, gamey is when it becomes a Command & Conquer game bar any realism. House rules are there to keep it more realistic. Nothing of what was written in the op is anywhere near realism but to each his own. Command & Conquer was sold a hundred times more often than WITP, so there are enough people around playing these things.

I sure have been hiding behind house rules for years playing Japan while not having my ass kicked in PBEM. Mhm. Especially when I say it is stupid for Japan to have these things in the op. Why not give the Japanese 10 A-bombs in 44 and 20 in 45? Fear to have a pregame victory negotiated?

And the most striking thing is to have one side (no matter which side) with historical accurate settings while the other side is totally out of whack, this is when gamey becomes stupid. Stupid is to think the Japanese could produce 1600 Georges and Jacks per month in real life in mid 43 while the US would only produce 300 fighters per month then. But that´s what is happening in the game, the Allied would be restricted to real life numbers while a history expert it seems think this would have been what would have been possible in real life. As ridicoulos as these ppl that are nowadays still insist on the possibility that Germany and Japan together could have conquered the whole world. COMMAND & CONQUER.

Waiting for the day when someone complains why the Ultimate Killer Robot isn´t working that was modded in because he read some crazy Japanese scientist was working on robots in 32 so it wouldn´t be a problem to have them available when the war breaks out in late 41. Or an Allied player complaining why Nimitz isn´t showing up to take out the PH strike when he even saw a "documentary" about it lately on TV.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 11/12/2010 9:19:58 AM >

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 25
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 9:19:41 AM   
Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV2

Elf has posted at least on 2 occasions on the board that the 2nd air is working as intended. Do a search if you want to check.

I guess it is common courtesy that the person making the claim in fact proves it. Do remember that "working as designed" (aka, it does what it is programmed to do) is different from "working as intended" (aka, the programming only allows the scenarios that were thought of beforehand). I wouldn't be surprised if the Elf said it was WAD in the first sense, but that doesn't mean that the design can not be exploited for gamey purposes.

< Message edited by Smeulders -- 11/12/2010 9:35:50 AM >

(in reply to CV2)
Post #: 26
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 9:21:24 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV2

I guess it is common courtesy that the person making the claim in fact proves it. Do remember that "working as designed" (aka, it does what it is programmed to do) is different from "working as intended" (aka, the programming only allows the scenarios that were thought of beforehand). I wouldn't be surprised if the Elf said it was WID in the first sense, but that doesn't mean that the design can not be exploited for gamey purposes.

as is what was said about strato sweeps in the end. WAD but an exploit was the final answer. I do admit though that such a comment is hard to understand for me.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 27
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 1:08:50 PM   
bigred

quote:

Stupid is to think the Japanese could produce 1600 Georges and Jacks per month in real life in mid 43 while the US would only produce 300 fighters per month then.

Can the japs produce 1600 pilots per month? Can you handle the problem as an allied player?

quote:

Nothing of what was written in the op is anywhere near realism but to each his own.

I agree, but you seem to push an agenda.

quote:

As ridicoulos as these ppl that are nowadays still insist on the possibility that Germany and Japan together could have conquered the whole world

Again, to each his own.

quote:

Waiting for the day when someone complains why the Ultimate Killer Robot isn´t working that was modded in because he read some crazy Japanese scientist was working on robots in 32 so it wouldn´t be a problem to have them available when the war breaks out in late 41

Hyperbol to sway the uninformed.

< Message edited by bigred -- 11/12/2010 1:10:06 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 1:21:12 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred

quote:

Stupid is to think the Japanese could produce 1600 Georges and Jacks per month in real life in mid 43 while the US would only produce 300 fighters per month then.

Can the japs produce 1600 pilots per month? Can you handle the problem as an allied player?

quote:

Nothing of what was written in the op is anywhere near realism but to each his own.

I agree, but you seem to push an agenda.

quote:

As ridicoulos as these ppl that are nowadays still insist on the possibility that Germany and Japan together could have conquered the whole world

Again, to each his own.

quote:

Waiting for the day when someone complains why the Ultimate Killer Robot isn´t working that was modded in because he read some crazy Japanese scientist was working on robots in 32 so it wouldn´t be a problem to have them available when the war breaks out in late 41

Hyperbol to sway the uninformed.

they seem to be able, at least Rudolf is saying this. Can I handle it as the Allied player? Probably not. Can someone else handle it? Probably not. How could you handle 1600 Georges and Franks per month with 40 P-38, 30 Corsairs and 50 P-47? None of them is so much superior to take down Georges and Franks at 10:1 constantly. Please don´t tell me to use Hurricanes or P-40N (just the same crap as P-40E a year earlier).

not really pushing an agenda, in fact I thought by myselve the whole post is so off I shouldn´t even comment it. And that´s what I´m going to do from now on. If someone wants to play a game about the Pacific war that tries to come as close to realism as possible but is gamed so much to have the op´s result above then that´s when we agree on "to each his own". And I don´t flame Command % Conquer players either, just hasn´t to do anything with realism.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 11/12/2010 1:24:16 PM >

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 29
RE: The Airforce purge of 1944 - 11/12/2010 1:57:56 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

Please don´t tell me to use Hurricanes or P-40N (just the same crap as P-40E a year earlier).

We must have a different game installed because in the past I've found the P-40N and even the K a much superior airframe than the E model and in my game which the E model is doing most of the battling they are doing fantastic against the Zeke and Oscar C model when air support gives me the opportunity to fight as most all air action is in China. I love the '38s too but they just stay on the ground too long after a mix up. The hurricanes IMO are better than anything I have right now but since I won't move them to China they sit in India sweeping unopposed Burmese skies.

Edit: The opposing player has taken complete control of China airspace and nothing I can do about that because of air support not because of deficent airframes if the right tactics are utilized. Maybe I'm just jaded or "loving the one I'm with" but I'm ok with the intel numbers which may or may not be off some.

This game was started post last patch so all air conflict has been with broken radar.

quote:

Rudolph:

Thanks for the laugh Rudolph.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 11/12/2010 2:35:12 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Airforce purge of 1944 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI