Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kursk VS Dubno

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Kursk VS Dubno Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kursk VS Dubno - 7/25/2002 9:08:03 AM   
OKW-73

I noticed that LVMC claims that battle of Dubno was biggest tank-battle in history and several other sources claim that it was Kursk, so if anyone have ideas about this please feel free and write yours ;)

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone
Post #: 1
- 7/28/2002 2:20:13 AM   
OKW-73

I find it odd that no-one here have opinion about this.... :eek:

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 2
- 7/28/2002 6:12:03 AM   
CCB

I've heard that the largest tank battle in the world was between the Syrians and Israelis during the Yom Kippur war of 1973.

As far as WW2 is concerned IMO it was Prokhorovka (Operation Zitadelle, Kursk).

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 3
- 7/28/2002 7:46:02 PM   
OKW-73

Yes, i have been looking several history books and other sources and they all claim it was Prokhorovka, Kursk, so wonder where did Matrix Games get their info about Dubno-Lutsk as they claim it was bigger panzer battle...

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 4
- 7/29/2002 6:09:38 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Have you got a link to where this claim is made? I presume the battle referred to is the armoured counterattack towards Dubno made on 26 June 41 by the South Western Front against Army Group South's Panzergruppe.

Erickson describes this battle as between several hundred tanks, and although the soviet formations committed look impressive, some appear to have been severely understrength.

Prokorovka is really only one part of a large tank battle on the southern Kursk front. At Prokhorovka, Glantz estimates 572 AFVs met, whilst there were somewhere around 2000 in that portion of the front.

I suppose it depends how big you judge the battlefield. Kursk may have been bigger, but Prokhorovka was only one part of that battle, albeit the most famous sector.

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 5
- 7/29/2002 7:38:04 AM   
OKW-73

to IronDuke,
If you mean Matrix Games claim about Dubno it was in LVMC (Lost Victories Mega Campaign) for SPWaW and i think its between 5th and 6th battle, but about Kursk/Prokhorovka claims i dont have any links cause i did use books and only some www pages which i didnt put them up to my favourite folder...why i find this so interesting is cause i couldnt find much info about this counter attack in Dubno on my books as some did just refer that there was heavy fighting and not much more...

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 6
- 8/1/2002 5:04:15 AM   
Grenadier

The battle of Dubno took the course of 4 days in the area bwtween Luck, Rovno, and Dubno, about the same size as the area between Kursk and Belgorod. During the first week of Barbarossa in the Ukraine the Soviets lost 4381 tanks. The Soviets committed 6 Mechanized corps with 12 tank divisions with an average of 350 tanks per division, broken down as follows;

22 Mechanized Corps-682
9 Mechanized Corps-285
19 Mechanized Corps-291
15 Mechanized Corps-864
4 Mechanized Corps-1306
8 Mechanized Corps-1029

Total-4457

Opposing the Soiviets were 5 panzer divisions with a total of 793 tanks at the start of Barbarossa

The crux of the battle was June 26-27 when 4, 8, 15 and 19 Corps attempted to cut off the 11 and 16 Panzer Divisions east of Dubno while 9 and 22 Mechanized Corps attacked 13 and 14 Panzer divisions between Luck and Rovno. At no other time in history had so many armored formations come together in combat at one time. Over 2000 tanks were fighting on a 42 mile front. Not during Zitadelle or any other armored engagement did so many formations come together in such close quarters at one time. That is why I wrote that Dubno was the largest single tank battle in history.

My sources , in case Suvorov is reading this :D are John Erickson-Road to Stalingrad pgs 163-166
David Glantz-When Titans Clashed-pgs 53-55
The Initial period of Operatiuons on the Eastern front-Pg 38, pgs 261-282
Barbarossa 1941- pgs 46-53

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 7
- 8/1/2002 5:12:17 AM   
Supervisor

The man with all the answers, if Brent says it's so then I be darned someone is going to have to go to great lengths to disprove him. 2 points for the home team.

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 8
- 8/1/2002 7:18:12 AM   
Kanda'

Greetings...

I find the 350 tanks average for a soviet 1941 tank division a bit unbelievable. I've read your reference, and others on the battle, and have always found the estimates of soviet armor way too high. Most people aren't aware that a 1941 soviet tank DIVISION was little more than the equivalent of a german panzer company of the time. A lot of the tanks are light model, machine gun models, or parts vehicles listed in the TOB but which couldn't ever see action. Prokorovka was the largest single meeting of armor in the same battle. I define battle as a 1-2 day engagment. Contrasted with the various donets basin series of battles which probably consumed more armor than all other areas in history...

Kanda'

Give a man a torch and he burns for a day, set a man on fire and he burns for the rest of his life! Bombers at 12 oclock HIGH!

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 9
- 8/2/2002 4:01:41 AM   
Grenadier

None of the figues quoted are estimates, they are the actual numbers from the Soviet archives. They are in the David Glantz book,The Initial Period of Operations on the Eastern front-Pg 38.

This is the transcript of a symposium by the Soviet Studies Group of the US Army War College held in the fall of 1987. Questioning the credibility of this means you are questioning the authenticity of the Soviet archives the numbers came from. This book has the most detailed account of the 4 day battle.

The largest concentration of T-34's and KV tanks was in the Kiev Military District.

here is the breakdown

22 Mechanized Corps- 31
19 Mechanized Corps- 11
15 Mechanized Corps - 131
4 Mechanized Corps - 414
8 Mechanized Corps - 171

The mechanized corps of the Kiev MD were in the best state of readiness and preparedness for battle at an average of 80 % of combat TOE available on June 22nd, 1941. The tank divisions were far stronger than company sttrength and they were not primarliy machine gun tanks. The T-26 and BT tanks both had 45mm main guns.

The primary reason for the Soviets to fail at Dubno was lack of coordination at the tank batallion level making their attacks peicemeal and enabling the Germans to envelope and surround the formations individually.

One additional note. On June 27, the day that 2000 tanks were engaged at once, 4 Russian tank divisions were attacking between Luck and Dubno along the rollbahn while to the south and west of Dubno 3 more tank divisioins were attacking with the objective of cutting off 11 Panzer and 111 Infantry divisions. By the end of the day, 12 and 34 Tank Divisioins were isolated west of Dubno. 9th Panzer Division had not been engaged at this point of the battle but was behind the frontier waiting to exploit the breakthrough. Many of the Soviet tanks were lost to airstrikes and breakdowns and some were stuck in the marshes around Dubno.

Brent Grenadier Richards

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 10
- 8/2/2002 6:58:18 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Brent,
Thanks for your exellent pair of posts. Well argued and supplied with evidence and sources. In view of GMENFAN's words, I shall reply very carefully. :-).

Firstly, I would tend to agree with Kanda re the numbers you've quoted. Within the sources you've listed, Glantz & House describe all the Russian forces at Dubno as not fully equipped (your second post lists them at 80% TOE pre Barbarossa, before any prior combat or transit losses manouevring into position).
Erickson goes further and suggests that 15th Mechanised committed only one understrength division which had suffered significant previous combat losses. He states 8th Mechanised fielded only 210 tanks between two of its tank divisons (the 12th & 34th you refer to) and that 4th Mechanised lost one Tank division before the battle that was driven into a swamp by it's commanding officer! This suggests Soviet actual strength was at least 1000 vehicles less (using your 350 tank strength as the guide). If the other formations were at 80% TOE and arrived in situ in that state, then that suggests around a maximum of 2500 vehicles. Assuming all German vehicles were engaged you get 3300. However, how many other Soviet vehicles were lost in transit, interdicted by the Luftwaffe etc?

I don't want to downplay Dubno, this was the only serious check to German arms for some weeks and delayed PanzerGruppe one by a week, it also (as you've noted) gave the Germans pause for thought when they met the T-34s and KVs. However, as you've further noted, this was a series of ill timed and hasty assaults which checked the German advance, but all of which were (by the 26th) comfortably beaten off.

On to Kursk, Re your second comment, about taking the aproximate distances to work out the approximate size of the battlefield. The distance Kursk to Belgorod was an intuitive one, Belgorod was right on the front line of Manstein's initial assaults at Kursk. If you draw a line between the two towns mentoned and then make the distance east-west rather than north-south, on my (very approximate) readings you have about the distance
between the boundary of second army (defending the German front line west of the Kursk salient) and the area in which Army Detachment Kempf attacked. We could, therefore, take this area to compare to the fighting at Dubno.

This isn't particularly scientific, but the ground covered by that distance contained five Panzer divisions 3rd, 11th, 6th, 7th, 19th and four PzGr divisions (GD, LSSAH, DR and T). Turning to Nafziger, he quotes the tank strength of one of those Panzer divisions (6th) as 117 vehicles at the start of Zitadelle (I include the more exotic elements like Flammpanzers) and the strength of the Leibstandarte as about 108 and Das Reich of 145. In Other words, the Panzergrenadier divisions carried tank strengths comparable to the Panzer divisions. Glantz & House quote a total of over 1500 tanks and assault guns in this sector of the AXIS front with another 112 in reserve in XXIV PZ Corp.

In front of them were the 1700 tanks and assault guns of the Voronezh front. This force received the 5th Guards Tank Army
(over 600 vehicles strong) just prior to Prokhorovka. These figures indicate over the course of the twelve days over
4000 vehicles were committed on this southern wing of the battle alone. All of these figures are fairly strong, in so much
as Glantz etc are quoting actual strengths, and all units engaged had been preparing for weeks if not months, and were well prepared for the battle. They would have turned up to fight with roughly what we've quoted. On sheer numbers, I think the southern wing of Kursk edges it.

In the end, this comes down to perception. I would argue for Kursk over and above the numbers game. At Dubno, there was a series of short, confused battles over the course of four days. At Kursk, there was the best the Wehrmacht had left charging headlong into arguably the thickest belt of defences the world has even seen for almost a fortnight. Whilst the paper strengths at Dubno are comparable, I suspect the actual strengths were not. Legend has partially obscured the reality of what went on at Prokhorovka, but it was only one aspect of a truly titanic struggle.

All of this doesn't take into account either, that a huge battle (albeit on a smaller scale) was being fought on the northern wing by Model. This does take the area covered by the battle to a size above that you quoted for Dubno, but I'd argue a battle draws it's own lines. Model was recognisably part of the same operation as Manstein, they both had the same ultimate objective in Kursk, and therefore you could argue the 2500 tanks arrayed in that sector of the fighting should be included in the figures.

My sources would be largely the same as yours, When titans clashed and The road to Stalingrad. I'd also add Glantz and House's quite exhaustive the Battle of Kursk. Nafziger was quoted from his orders of battle for Panzers and Artillery and the Waffen SS.

Regards,
IronDuke.

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 11
- 8/2/2002 7:51:41 AM   
OKW-73

Thanks everyone for great answers, this is exactly that kind of information i did want to know :) and keep coming if you still got something to say ;)

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 12
- 8/2/2002 12:19:14 PM   
Grenadier

At no time during Zitadelle were there 2000 tanks engaged at the same time as happened on June 27 at Dubno. By the time of Prokhorovka on July 12, 9th Army had stopped and was switching panzer divisions to Bolkhov, leaving only the southern wing in action. By the time 5th Guards Tank Army arrived, 1st Tank Army had suffered very heavy losses as had 48 Panzer Korps which lost most of the 200 Panthers to breakdowns.

. Zitadelle was fought as 2 separate engagements as you have pointed ou, while Dubno was a large series of dogfights over a much smaller area to the north and south of the town. Glantz states in Barbarossa 1941 that 2000 tanks were engaged on June 27, mostly Soviet. By the end of the battle the mechanized corps had suffered up to 90% losses of their strength

Taking all of this into consideration and comparing July 12, 1943 to June 27, 1941, I believe the evidence points to a greater number of tanks in action on June 27, 1941.

I also believe that Zitadelle is 2 separaye engagements, one to the north and one to the south, while Dubno was a single engagement between Luck and Dubno and to the south of Dubno.

I have always thought of Kursk as being the ne plus ultra of tank battles, but as I researched for Lost Victories I have found the preponderance of evidence supports Dubno as being the largest of them all. It is true that the Luftwaffe was responsible for Soviet tank losses but they also killed an entire Soviet tank brigade during Zitadelle.

As to the issue of the tank division going into a swamp. Glantz states in The Initial period of Operatiuons on the Eastern front-Pg 38, pgs 261-282 that Erickson makes this statement based on Soviet era records and there is no evidence in the archives to show any division being destroyed in this manner. Instead, many smaller batallion and company size unit got stuck in the bogs and marshes around Dubno while avoiding the roads because of the Luftwaffe, but they did not come up to an entire division

Brent Grenadier Richards

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 13
- 8/3/2002 12:45:02 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Great stuff Brent! If I ever need some well researched information I now know whom to ask!

Thank you!:D :)

KED

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 14
- 8/3/2002 11:37:50 PM   
OKW-73

Just did read "Maailma Palaa" (Memorial de la seconde guerre mondiale) ISBN 951-9078-25-8 / 1975 Reader's Digest and it states next figures about battle of Kursk, Operation Zitadelle -

Germans -

900 000 men
10 000 artillery/mortars
2700 panzers
2000 airplanes

Russia -

1 300 000 men
13 000 field artillery
6000 ATG's
3300 Tanks
2600 Airplanes

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 15
- 8/4/2002 12:13:29 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Brent, OKW,
Thanks for the replies and the extra info. There are a couple of things I'd say in reply, though. Firstly, Brent, you are now zeroing in on the two days that defined the battles, the 27th June and 12th July rather than on Dubno V Kursk. I don't know where this leaves the first argument about overall tank numbers in the respective engagements. I suspect that depends on whether you accept the total of 4000 vehicles for the Southern wing of Zitadelle I quoted, and whether you stand by the figure you intially quoted for Dubno which was over 5000. I believe overall numbers favour Zitadelle, with or without the northern wing of the battle, (OKW's sources agree with my count of around 6000 for Kursk as a whole) because the actual total engaged at Dubno as a whole was well below the 5000 vehicles that theoretically made up the formations engaged. A brief note about the swamp,
I have not read the Soviet archives and wouldn't step inbetween two greats like Glantz and Erickson. I would only say re your comments on this matter, that you don't need to lose too many battalions and companies in order to lose a division's worth overall.

Concentrating on the days in question, and actual vehicles in combat, the formations you quote (1st Tank Army and 48 PZCorp) had indeed suffered heavy losses. You're correct to state most of the Panthers had fallen victim to mechanical failure (perhaps as many a three quarters of the 200 deployed).

However, Glantz, felt that the number of vehicles enaged along the southern wing of Zitadelle on 12th July was "probably fewer than 2000". He felt that around 570 would have engaged in and around Prokhorovka, that day's most famous place.

I think this effectively ends the numbers discussion because we can't do an individual count and the two figures are both close and approximates. Either one could be a few dozen vehicles one way or the other, we just can't be sure. We're both quoting Glantz so we can't argue about the sources, either. I'm sure you'd agree with me that Glantz and Erickson are both impeccable sources for the entire conflict in the east, so again, it all boils down to what you define as the battle and how you rate the two encounters.

Regarding the boundaries of the battle, I feel the boundaries are less important, in so much as more vehicles will naturally demand more room for units to properly deploy, and these battles were fought for operational reasons, which means the boundaries are set by the objectives and jumping off points etc.

Again, for myself, I side with Kursk because many of the vehicles would have been of the heavier T-34 and Mk IV varieties which were much rarer in 1941, and in addition, all around the tanks, countless infantry formations were being chewed up at the same time. At Dubno, the infantry divisions of at least two of the Soviet Corps did not engage because a lack of transport prevented them arriving on the battlefield. It's also clear that at times at Dubno, the terrain made it difficult for the Soviets to engage, Glantz seems to suggest the 15th mechanised was troubled by air power and terrain on 27th and achieved little.

Also, whatever the final count of vehicles fighting at Prokhorovka on 12th July, as an individual encounter, I think it's ferocity ranks with anything else seen during the war.

It's quite possible 20 or 30 more vehicles were looking for trouble on 27 June 1941 around Dubno, than were looking for trouble on 12th July 1943 around Prokhorovka, but I believe that the greater armoured mayhem was created at Kursk, because more of these vehicles found each other and opened fire on each other.

I probably need to read Glantz's book on the initial period on the eastern front. I presume you would thoroughly recommend it...:-).

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 16
- 8/4/2002 7:40:14 AM   
CCB

Dubno vs Kursk. You really have to do some digging to gather information about the Dubno battle. It generally gets thrown in with all the other Soviet fiascos of the Barbarossa campaign and usually ends up being described in a few sentences or one paragraph. Where as Kursk usually has entire books written about it.

Dubno may have the numbers of tanks that were involved at Kursk, but was it as much a war changing battle as Kursk? Did the world (or at least two European empires) hold their breath during Dubno as they did at Kursk?

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 17
- 8/4/2002 8:10:06 AM   
OKW-73

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CCB
[B]Dubno vs Kursk. You really have to do some digging to gather information about the Dubno battle. It generally gets thrown in with all the other Soviet fiascos of the Barbarossa campaign and usually ends up being described in a few sentences or one paragraph. Where as Kursk usually has entire books written about it.[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, i noticed that its very hard to find info about this battle after searching from several books and internet. As i said there before most books just refer it as a place that has some hard fighting.

[QUOTE][B]Dubno may have the numbers of tanks that were involved at Kursk, but was it as much a war changing battle as Kursk? Did the world (or at least two European empires) hold their breath during Dubno as they did at Kursk? [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe it wasnt "war changing" but it is sure a interesting battle, main reason is that it is so "forgotten" in the smoke of other more famous battles.

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 18
- 8/5/2002 12:02:08 PM   
Grenadier

There vis a lot about Dubno that is unknown in the West and is not revealed in the history books. Needless to say it must have been harrowing at times for the Germans with the KV-s and T-34's but then again, most references to the debut of these tanks is Rasenanai in Lithuania for the KV-1 and 2 and Orsha for the T-34. So somehow nearly 1000 of these tanks which first showed up at Radziechow on June 23 accoring to 11 Panzer Division's records have fallen into a black hole historically. !6 Panzer Division records attacks by T-34's and haing the 37mm Panzerjager section overrun and only stopping the tanks with direct fire artillery and 97 Jager Division records of a T-34 attack being beaten off to the south of Radziechow on June 28 along with some of the muliturreted t-35's but that is about all there is available form the english versions of the German archives.

The only other reference to T-34's in the south is when Michel Wittmann destroyed several at the beginning of July in his StuG III. It is hard to fathom that that many heavy tanks simply did not engage the Germans and either broke down or werew taken out by the Luftwaffe.

As for the impact Dubno had on the war. Hitler was very concerned about how slow Army Group South's progress was and began to pay close attention to the actions here. The weakness of a single panzer arm attempting an envelopment and the fact it was nearly sawn off at Dubno made Hitler very anxious about the fighting in the Ukraine.After Dubno, Kirponos was able to withdraw his mechanized corps, battared as they were, back to the Stalin Line while Potapov withdrew his 5th Army to the north of Korosten and Malin and began a long history of attacking the north flank of the Germans from the Pripet Marshes. This begat Directives 33 and 34 and eventually the battle of Kiev, permanently losing the war for Germany by failing to take Moscow before the winter. So Dubno had a much larger impact than is first realized until you look at the chain of events

Brent Grenadier Richards

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 19
The Kursk battle - 8/6/2002 7:51:23 PM   
Düncker

The Kursk battle has been rewritten quite recently due to more extensive research lately. One of my colleges has written several books on this issue. Niklas Zetterling and Anders Frankson in "Kursk 1943 - A Statistical Analysis" - London 2000. Generally one could say that all figures are greatly exaggregated in Kursk.
For instance the most famous battle is the one at Prochorovka, in which, in standard military history, several thousand tanks took part. However in reality it was only 70-75 tanks and Stugs form Leibstandarte that fought a Soviet/Russian armoured attack of 500-600 tanks. The Germans lost 4 tanks and Russia/Soviet lost 340-350 tanks. The Russian 5th Guardstankarmy and its losses on the 12 July is the worst throughout WW2 (on a single day and single battle).

The Soviet Red army general Pavel Rotmistrov succeeded to completely destroy the largest tank reserves of that time, even though he had the odds (7:1) on his side.

The real big figures of tanks is achieved by (as Russia does) count losses from all the battles the followed such as the bridgehead of Orel and Charkov, thereby reaching figures like 4 million men, 13 000 tanks, 12 000 aircrafts. However, to be able of counting all these you have to assume that the Kursk battle took more than a month.

Anyway I can recommend the book it is great.

Best regards
Düncker

Whatever you do it will be insignificant!
But its very important that you do it anyway!

M.Ghandi

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 20
- 8/9/2002 1:20:35 PM   
OKW-73

Did find some new very interesting facts about battle of Rovno - Dubno, first big tank battle but not biggest in WW2 (you CANT make difference between south/north front of Kursk, so any compares must be taken the whole Kursk as one battle.)

My translation from book -->
In the evening of 22.6 Russian south-west front did get order to surround & destroy germans with counter attack. Attack did start 23.6 in area of Rovno-Brody. 3200 - 3700 tanks (including 750 german) did take a part on it. 5 Russian mechanized corps that did have 4645 tanks (normal tank count) did take part on battle, but mec. corps werent as normal strenght, actually they did have 2500-3000 tanks. Heavy tank battles did last to 2.7.

German side did have 5 panzer divisions from 1st panzer group (3., 11., 13., 14. and 16. panzer division)

Russian side did have 5 mechanized corps (8., 9., 15., 19 and 22. Mec. Corps)
4 mec. corps. COULDNT take a part in counter attack because it was located in 150 - 200 km to east from Rovno, near ****omir(Zitomir?) when battle did start.

source -
Punaiset panssarit - Puna-armeijan panssarijoukot 1918-1945. writed by Pekka Kantakoski and published by PS-Elso Oy. Hauho 1998

Here is link to scans from that book (including maps), Text is Finnish, so if someone want translate more go ahead :)
[URL=http://koti.mbnet.fi/onslow/dubno.zip]scans.zip (1.3Mb)[/URL]

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 21
- 8/9/2002 10:52:10 PM   
Grenadier

Some of that is incorrect according to both David Glantz, John Erickson and Werner haupt, 4 mechanized Corps was in the LVov area and participated witry attacks on the south flank of the German penetration between Radziechow and Dubno to the west of 15 Mechanized Corps. 8 tank Division was repulsed at radziechow on June 28 by 97 Jager Division.

3rd panzer Division was part of XXIOV Panzer Korps and was in Guderian's 2nd panzer Group. The 5th panzer division of Kleist, 9th panzer, was not committed until June 28-29, when it broke through to the south of both 4 and 15 mechanized Corps and forced Vlasov to abandon Lvov.

.Most of Zitadelle, except for the battle of July 12, consisted of German tanks vs anti tank guns and bunkers and dug in Russian tanks. There simply were not that many tank vs tank engagements. Read Michel Wittmann's biography. Most of his kills during Zitadelle were anti tank guns. Dubno was a true meeting engagement with very large numbers of tanks on both sides in repeated uncoordinated clashes along a 20 mile front to the noth and south of Dubno. There were no dug in defenses for either side and no slugging it out through defensive belts like at Kursk. Even if you add Models attack of July 5, the the total does not come up to 2000. Model only committed the 505 Schwere Panzer Abtielung, 656 Pz JG Rgt and 20 Panzer Division on July 5. 2nd tank Army did not counterattack at Ponryii until July 6-7. Model was holding , 2, 4, 12 and 18 Panzer Divisions in reserve for the breakthrough and commited these divisions piecemeal over the next 4 days.

In the south, 1 Tank Army was ordered to dig in its tanks and so they were not committed as a body to attack Hoth's forces.The same day 160 of the 200 Panthers in 39 Panzer Rgt had broken down or disabled by mines. 5 Guards Tank Army did not arrive until July 12, by then Model had stopped his attack and 1 Tank Army had been cut to peices and was badly unbderstrength.

The July 12 attacks of XLVIII Panzer Korps at Oboyan and 2nd SS Panzer Korps at Prokhorovka add up to about 700 tanks altogether. III Panzer Korps was not engaged as it was crossing the upper Donetz river on the 12th attempting to reach Prokhorovka to outflank Rodmistrov. who had about 700 tanks at Prokhorovka. There is still no credible counter to Dubno not being the largest tank battle with the largest number of tanks, over 2000 on June 27, 1941.

Brent Grenadier Richards

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 22
- 8/10/2002 1:23:35 AM   
OKW-73

Also email i received from Finnish War History Society claims that 4. mech. corps werent on that area and im pretty sure those guys know what they are talking about....I can dig out a title of person who answered my email from there and its so impressive that i dont have guts to claim otherwise.
and if ALL books i've seen this far (thats a couple of them ;) ) say Kursk was biggest tank battle in WW2 history i kinda believe those pretty much... ;)

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 23
- 8/13/2002 7:56:28 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Brent,
Thanks for the post, another exellent contribution, however, I do have a few issues with it. In no particular order...(sorry for the length of this).

"Most of Zitadelle, except for the battle of July 12, consisted of German tanks vs anti tank guns and bunkers and dug in Russian tanks. There simply were not that many tank vs tank engagements. Read Michel Wittmann's biography. Most of his kills during Zitadelle were anti tank guns"
.____________________________________________________

This is one of those statistics (IMHO) which masks the truth. The best source I have for Wittman at Kursk (I haven't read his biography) says he claimed 30 tanks killed, 28 Anti tank guns, and two batteries of heavy guns. Now, I'm not concerned with the absolute numbers, I'm happy to concede your assertion he got more AT guns. However, clearly, 30 tank kills (including I gleaned from a separate source, 15 in the first two days) suggests that whatever he was doing to AT guns at this time, Wittman was taking on and destroying Russian tanks in large numbers.

Wittmans Eastern front tally (I further understand) was 117. Therefore, in the twelve days of Zitadelle, killed a quarter of his total tally for the war in the east. I can only conclude, therefore, he saw a lot of Tank V Tank action during this battle.

I make no distinction between a dug in vehicle or a mobile one. Arguably, the dug in vehicle has achieved a hull down position and is therefore harder to take out, but a tank is a tank is a tank, wherever you find it.
"In the south, 1 Tank Army was ordered to dig in its tanks and so they were not committed as a body to attack Hoth's forces.The same day 160 of the 200 Panthers in 39 Panzer Rgt had broken down or disabled by mines. 5 Guards Tank Army did not arrive until July 12, by then Model had stopped his attack and 1 Tank Army had been cut to peices and was badly unbderstrength."

You are referring to several different days here, by the looks of it. With regards the key date of the 12th July, the main body of forces attacking the 48th Panzer Corp were the 10th Tank Corp (100 Tanks) 56 Tank Corp (70 tanks) and 6th Tank Corp (50 tanks). The figures quoted are Glantz's. The original components of 1st Tank Army had been cut to pieces, but it had been heavily reinforced. Additionally, the Russian defences blocking the advance to Oboyan had another 150 tanks. Clearly 48th Panzer Corps had large numbers of Russian tanks to fend off, and get through in order to advance on Oboyan.

Not sure what you're getting at, here. Kempf's III Pz Corp did not reach Prokhorovka. This is true. But it was clearly part of the fighting along the southern edge of Zitadella (as much so as 48th Pz Corp on II SS Pz Corp's other flank), so have been included in all vehicle counts thus far. If I've misunderstood, and you are actually saying that III Pz Corp was not engaged in any fighting on 12th whilst it made for the Prokhorovka battlefield, then this is not true. Its crossing of the river was contested. It took bridgeheads and held them against counterattacks. It also had to deal with Corp sized counterattacks against it's flanks. The Russians knew where Kempf was headed and did all they could to stop him getting there.

Turning now to Dubno............
"Dubno was a true meeting engagement with very large numbers of tanks on both sides in repeated uncoordinated clashes along a 20 mile front to the noth and south of Dubno. There were no dug in defenses for either side and no slugging it out through defensive belts like at Kursk."

Kursk was a true battle with very large numbers of tanks on both sides in repeated clashes.

However, we've already gone over exactly what happened on 12th July 1943. You concede in your last mail that Prokhorovka and it's surroundings was a fiercesome tank battle.

The 27th June (your 2000 vehicle day) is another interesting day. In the general area of the fighting there seem to have been four Pz divisions, 11 and 16 in the south of the battlefield, 13 and 14 in the north. The Soviet counterattack looks to have been based on 8 tank divisions, 12, 34, 8 & 10 in the south, and 35, 20, 40 and 43 in the north east. These divisions belonged to the 9th and 19th Mech Corps in the north east and the 8th and 15th Mech Corp in the south. I acccept your claim that 4th Mech Corp was involved in the fighting in so much as I believe one of it's formations (8 Tank Division) was transferred to 15th Mech to make up for losses. The rest was west of Lvov. It may explain the contradiction between yourself and OKW.

15th Mech's 37th Tank division does not seem to have taken part in the fighting. Glantz pointed out that after it first made contact with the Germans prior to 27th, it doesn't seem to feature in the fighting again thereafter.

Now, taking the southern fighting. 12 & 34 Tank Div appear to have fielded about 150 Tanks between them. 8 Tank div looks to have been below half strength, so lets assume 150 there, and 10 Tank division had been in action since the 24th, had been hit by air attack and swamp problems, and I'd be surprised if we could assume more than about 150 there as well. 450 vehicles in total.

Now, looking at the advance of these units, their aim was to cut off 11 and 16 Panzer which were operating to the east and south east of their advance. It appears they never made contact with either of the two pz divs. Instead they ran into 111th Infantry division, 16th Motorised division and finally (late in the day) 75th Infantry division. These three infantry formations stopped the advance in it's tracks. 16th Panzer did turn around at one point to attack westwards and ensure it's lines of communications remained open, but it hit a Russian motorised division, not a tank one. Therefore, although the Germans did not have Kursk style defensive belts set up to defend against this assault, the defence was undertaken by Infantry units, and therefore, is more similar to Kursk than you allow. In this southern sector, I don't see any large scale (or small scale) tank clashes on 27 June.

Turning to the northern assault. Two things to note first here. The four Soviet divs were attacking after a march to the battlefield under German interdiction. Secondly, these two Mech Corps had few (if any) of the more modern heavy tanks (T-34 and KV). I've not been able to find an analysis of the approximate actual numbers of vehicles deployed on 27th. Their attacks started on 26 June with around 160 vehicles between them. (Each tank div deploying a forward detachment of 30-40 tanks). Possibly, more substantial elements of all four divisions would
have joined in on 27th. It was these forward detachments that look to have suffered the brunt of the fighting, though. Reading your original post, you put the number of vehicles in these formations as approx 550 which at 80% TOE suggests they might have deployed an upper limit of 440 minus interdiction losses.

However, these formations were (as in the south) all stopped by Infantry formations. 111th and 299th Infantry. 14th Panzer looks to have been deployed to the north of this fighting.

The only Tank on Tank fighting I can trace on the 27th came when 13th Panzer hit these four forward detachments of the northern assault. It took them in flank and knocked one after the other out of the way whilst advancing in a southerly direction. My feeling is that it was largely the original forward detachments which were hit, rather than the full divisions because 13th Panzer had enough time before days end to get through the four divisions and then turn east to outflank them.

Now, if we include all four PZ divisions, they started with around 636 vehicles. I'm not sure this is completely accurate, as Nafziger seems to suggest their starting totals on 22/06/41 were lower, but this all depends on what you are counting, I suppose, and I don't think it's worth the argument over a handful of vehicles. By 27th, we could be generous and assume they still had 600. That gives us a running total of around 1050 adding in the vehicles of the southern russian assault (8th & 15th Mech). 11th and 14th Panzer (and maybe even 16th Panzer) don't look to have strictly been part of this fighting but lets include them as having been engaged in the general area in the same way as 48th and III Panzer Corp were at Prokhorovka/Kursk. All that remains to add in is 9th and 19th Mech. On the 26th, 9th and 19th Mech began by fielding only 160 tanks. On the 27th their attack was stopped in its tracks and they were forced to look fearfully over their shoulder as 13th Panzer attacked them in flank, and then manouevred to flank them. The figure of 440 suggests there was an upper limit of 1500 vehicles in the area on 27 June, perhaps fewer than 1200 actually comitted, though.

5th Mech doesn’t look to have arrived in the area until the 28th when it formed a line to stop the eastward advance of 11 Panzer. 22nd Mech after big losses leading up to the 27th, looks to have retreated northeastwards to set up a defensive line to the north of 14 Panzer.

Conclusions
-----------
2000 vehicles seems to me to be too generous a figure for the 27th June, but as we have seen, whatever the figure, very few of these machines (perhaps as few as 300) had the chance to engage in tank on tank combat. I don't think Glantz can be
used to support this figure of 2000, but if you have a detailed breakdown of this figure, I'd be interested to see it.

If you are going to include all the formations mentioned above when counting the day's totals, including those who didn’t actually get involved in either making or stopping the Soviet counterattack of 27th, you have to include every vehicle deployed along the southern edge of the Kursk battle area when counting there on 12th July, including those not directly involved at Prokhorovka.

The figure at Kursk for 12th July looks fairly reliable at 1800+. The figure for Dubno on 27th looks to be around 1500 although if you want, you can add in 22nd Mech. However, one of this formations Tank divisions (19th) had suffered badly at the hands of 14th Panzer already, and the other (41) seems to have wandered around and done very little (except temporarily lose two of its Tank regiments in the mud at one point). These might have had 300 operational vehicles on 27th but I doubt it. I think there were more arrayed along the southern edge of Kursk.

If you are going to use all the formations quoted above to tally a total figure for the encounter as a whole, then it is again only fair to count all the formations arrayed along the southern edge of Kursk prior to Zitadelle beginning. We have to count in the same manner in each instance in each location.

At Kursk, Manstein faced the Voronezh front. This fielded 1704 vehicles. It got a further 900 from Steppe front reserve on or before 12th july (5th Guards Tank, 10th Tank Corp etc). Manstein himself looks to have fielded approximately 1500 vehicles with another 100 in reserve. Over 4000 vehicles would have heard shots fired at Kursk’s southern wing, therefore. These are all actual as opposed to paper figures.

At Dubno, the situation is complicated by the actual versus paper strengths. I believe half of 4th Mech never got involved, 5th Mech and 9th Panzer only got involved after 27th when the soviets went over to the defensive. If you want to include all these, then you stretch the definition of the battlefield eastwards to Ostrog (where 5th Mech looks to have met 11th Panzer) and west of Lvov where elements of 4th Mech look to have been deployed.

Since 22nd Mech were first and finally in combat north of Luck, the final dimensions of the field become north of Luck to just south of Brody. I think that’s around 125 miles by 70 miles. The Kursk bulge was around 120 miles north-south, and 70 miles or so deep. Therefore, if you want all of your formations, we probably have to tally in Model and the northern Kursk wing as well. That makes for a grand total of around 7000. Even leaving Model outl, you have 4000 vehicles committed to action at Kursk's southern wing. you might make a case that 4000 vehicles were intended to be committed at Dubno, but I’d argue the actual number involved was lower.

Finally, as others have touched on in this thread, it's what constitutes a battle. You describe Dubno as a series of meeting engagements. When you analyse 27/06/41, you find exactly that, everybody was on the move, and usually attempting to cut someone else off. Units didn't always make contact.

At Kursk, everyone knew where the enemy was (usually a few hundred yards in front of them), knew contact was imminent, and knew that there would be more of the same tomorrow (except on 11 july 43 when there would be a LOT more of the same tomorrow).

However I try and add it up, the evidence suggests to me that Kursk has the best claim to be the largest Tank battle.

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 24
- 8/20/2002 11:52:14 PM   
Paul Lakowski

MOst of the Russian Tk Div around the Luck Dubno area were on paper as strong as the Pz div they faced ,but Sov high command marched them back and forth and lost something like 2/3 of the force to Luftwaffe attacks and mud.

I'm not saying Kirponos did a bad job, compared to the other front commanders he was the only one who did even mount a halfways desent counter stroke. It also did hold up the Pz Group that lead to a halt on the center advance on moscow, to clear up the battle around Kiew.

So you could argue that this diversion lost germany the war as they gave up moscow as the main objective.

In one noteable counter attack the Pz Rgt of the 16th Pz division cutt up the forward detachments of 4 russian tk divisions, not bad for a days battle!

(in reply to OKW-73)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Kursk VS Dubno Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote