Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DaBigBabes Release

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: DaBigBabes Release Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/5/2010 5:35:37 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

Thanks for the update, excellent work as always.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 61
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/5/2010 2:16:22 PM   
Kitakami

Many, many thanks!

You guys really make this game fun :)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 62
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/5/2010 3:49:44 PM   
JWE

Whoops, small screw-up. forgot to update the Pilot file for the moved airgroups. Version 03a is now up with corrected Pilots. Sorry about that.

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 63
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/5/2010 3:57:12 PM   
Fletcher

JWE,
Thank you very much for your hard work !
Best of wishes,
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 64
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/5/2010 8:01:25 PM   
vonTirpitz

A huge thank you to all involved in this excellent piece of work!

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 65
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/5/2010 9:58:30 PM   
hbrsvl

JWE- Hi- I've your scen. 26 installed. If I install scen.28, will I have to start over on 12/7/41? Thanks, Hugh Browne

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 66
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/5/2010 10:58:48 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

JWE- Hi- I've your scen. 26 installed. If I install scen.28, will I have to start over on 12/7/41? Thanks, Hugh Browne

In case I can help - each scenario has its own files and so one will not affect the other.

BTW, if you do download and install the updated version of the one you are playing, you might get prompted by the game to 'update the scenario information' or 'OOB' or some such (I forget the wording) when you next load up your saved game.

I have had this work for me in the past, but JWE noted there have also been reports of weird problems with that function. So, if you use it, make sure you keep a save game from before the update in case you need to go back to it.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 67
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/5/2010 11:05:34 PM   
hbrsvl

witpqs-Thanks. HB

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 68
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/6/2010 4:33:38 PM   
hbrsvl

witpqs- I need a favor, please. I've got scen. 28 DLed and into the main AE folder. I can see the scen.28 various folders, but I can't get the scen. loaded into the" select scenario" folder so I can play it.

Which AE folder do I unzip it in? I've also tried unzipping in the Scenarios folder, but no joy.

Thanks in advance, Hugh Browne

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 69
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/6/2010 4:56:36 PM   
witpqs

What you need to do is unzip it in the SCEN folder. I'm puzzled because you say you already did that? The only thing I can think of at the moment is make sure you re-start AE after unzipping so it picks up the files.

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 70
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/6/2010 8:57:46 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

Hello Hugh,

Everything witpqs says about installing is correct. But I get the impression, from your question, that there is a bit of a disconnect. Scenario 26 has nothing to do with scen 28. There are 2 different sets of scenarios:
BabesLite
AEscen026 - Class and Ship file tweaks to stock AEscen001, Dec 7 start; and
AEscen027 - Class and Ship file tweaks to stock AEscen006, Dec 8 start.
DaBigBabes
AEscen028 - Monster tweaks to "everything" from AEscen001, Dec 7 start; and
AEscen029 - Monster tweaks to "everything" from AEscen006, Dec 7 start.

If you want to play stock, and use the stock AI, but have some more historical ships and such, then download and play the BabesLite scenarios. If you are an utter grog and want to feel the effects of "perhaps" a more historical limitation on Support infrastructure, then download and play the BigBabes scenarios. They are fundamentally different.

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 71
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/8/2010 7:17:09 PM   
DaveConn

Forgive my confusion, and I actually have tried to search for the answer to this, but can't find anything. In DBB, there are now Engineers, Combat Engineers, Construction Engineers, Shore Parties, and maybe more new "support types"; but (except for Shore Parties, where I found the answer: a subset of Naval Support assisting in loading/unloading only), I can't find any explanation of what the various units do: which can build, which can reduce fortifications, and what their relative effectiveness is.

Any guidance on this greatly appreciated! Thanks.

--Dave

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 72
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/8/2010 9:04:32 PM   
JWE

Well, I guess it’s time to give folks another look into the underpants (but please ignore the brown streaks). It seems the code can do some neat stuff that was not implemented in stock AE. Thus, they are not, technically, ‘undocumented features’, because they are not ‘features’ in a stock scenario. But we used them, and that’s why Babes is a “mod”.

Beyond the support infrastructure and TO&E tweaks, BigBabes uses some code allowable stuff to redefine things according to our vision of reality; it has two expressions, Type = Engineer and “switch” = Shore Party.

Engineers:
The “name” of a device is worse that useless. It is the device data that obtains. An Eng unit can always build, but if it has Anti-Armor <1, it cannot reduce forts. If it has Anti-Soft <9, it cannot AV. If it is “named” construction labor, but is a Type = 23 squad, with no a-a , or a-s, it won’t do squat. So there is a 7-way matrix of different Eng squads that represent a mix of abilities; build stuff, reduce forts, able to AV, none of the above. DaBigBabes uses this matrix (according to our appreciation as to how it falls out) to help limit in-game tempo, by limiting in-game infrastructure.

Shore Party:
Shore Party is a sub-set of Nav Sup. Nav Sup does many things that are not appropriate to the stock devices. Shore Party devices assist in loading/unloading but do not assist in repairing or rearming. Repair/rearm points were very far and few between, for both sides, and thus with BigBabes, but both sides recognized an imperative for stevedoring and non-integral lift capability. Thus Shore Partys and a skoosh of code that lets them give an unload bonus to ‘local’ amphib TFs.

Lotta stuff, but seems to work. All the work is “ours” and not “official”. Gotta bitch, it’s with me or Don.

Ciao. John

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 73
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/8/2010 9:49:05 PM   
DaveConn

Thank you, John. Very helpful and much appreciated.

--Dave

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 74
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/13/2010 10:03:32 PM   
Zebedee

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Lotta stuff, but seems to work. All the work is “ours” and not “official”. Gotta bitch, it’s with me or Don.

Ciao. John

Would it be terribly unfashionable to praise and thank instead? ;)

Got to say that the change of pace is really enjoyable. Not usually an Allied player vs AI, so I can't really make too many comparisons specifically to stock AE vs Japanese AI. But enjoying this challenge thoroughly - pushes things back to more of an operational/strategic level and the tempo of things follows from those needs if you get what I'm saying.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 75
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/14/2010 5:04:15 PM   
Central Blue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zebedee

quote:

Ciao. John

Got to say that the change of pace is really enjoyable. Not usually an Allied player vs AI, so I can't really make too many comparisons specifically to stock AE vs Japanese AI. But enjoying this challenge thoroughly - pushes things back to more of an operational/strategic level and the tempo of things follows from those needs if you get what I'm saying.

And yet . . . On the other hand . . .

Because of the way that the old base units have been rearranged into the various types of support battalions, it is now possible to establish the small historical bases that one tends to skip (as the Allies anyway) because of the scarce total number of base units in the original OOB.

Port maintenance, base maintenance, special construction, naval construction, and then maybe throw in a MAG HQ and defense battalion, and you have a nifty little outpost in the Pacific.

My thanks to all involved.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to Zebedee)
Post #: 76
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/14/2010 6:19:56 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Central Blue
quote:

ORIGINAL: Zebedee

And yet . . . On the other hand . . .

Because of the way that the old base units have been rearranged into the various types of support battalions, it is now possible to establish the small historical bases that one tends to skip (as the Allies anyway) because of the scarce total number of base units in the original OOB.

Port maintenance, base maintenance, special construction, naval construction, and then maybe throw in a MAG HQ and defense battalion, and you have a nifty little outpost in the Pacific.

My thanks to all involved.

I have to say that the best praise and thanks we could get are by comments like these. I am pleased as frikkin punch that folks are recognizing all the detail (strategic, operational, logistical, and tactical) we built into this mother. We had hoped that we could develop a system that would have players thinking in more historical operational/logistical terms, and it seems to have suceeded beyond our wildest expectations.

Thank you both, and thank you all. Ciao, John

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 77
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/16/2010 11:27:29 PM   
Kitakami

John,

There is a tweak I find quite interesting. To permanently restrict 2nd Air Division to Kwangtung Army makes it for a more historical campaign in Norther China. Even though I am a JFB, I find it quite historical.

Cheers!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 78
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 9/18/2010 8:23:37 PM   
Falken

Hi,

I also want to thank the group for this fantastic mod. This is definitely the Mod that i've been waiting for, and the minute that the last release was published, I restarted my campaign for the final long haul.

Something happened in my game today that has never happened in all my years of WITP/AE.
Now, before I start with this, it's important to note that this game is US vs IJN AI as I don't have the schedule to play PBEM.

Anyway, now, this might be something that has happened to all over you, but this is a first for me. It's Dec. 11st, and I had originally ordered my CV Enterprise to pick up the A/C at Wake and return safely to PH. I've done this move in all my games in WITP and AE and it's always worked successfully as the path of the KB has always been predictable.

For the first time, the AI actually caught my CV group by surprise, and an attack ensued. I lost every ship (incl. Enterprise) in the combat, and worse, not a single hit on the KB. Now normally, I would be very upset, and I was, in general, at the lost of the Enterpise itself (and it's very well trained crew), but all I could say after the attack was "Cool...." "Very cool..." "Nice, nice, nice...". This is also the first time that i've played a campaign at "Historical" vs my normal "Hard" difficulty level.

Now, i'm sure that Andy's AI scripts have a lot (if not all) to do with this, but finally with this Mod, I have an AI that has made my life really challenging after only 4 days within the campaign. Now I only have 2 CVs until the Hornet arrives.

This Mod also makes you absolutely think about everything you do. It's taking my twice as long to make a move, which I like. Normally, I would transport just any type ENG unit to an island and just start building, but now, it takes time, effort, and a whole lot of coordination to make sure that you have the right type, and the right unit within the type to start doing anything.

Anyways, I could go for pages about the fun i'm having w DBB, but just wanted to say thank you very much for your efforts.

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 79
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/29/2010 2:50:04 PM   
JWE

Updated with Version 04. Includes enhanced AAA.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 80
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/29/2010 2:55:50 PM   
JWE

oops

< Message edited by JWE -- 10/29/2010 2:59:49 PM >

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 81
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/29/2010 5:15:16 PM   
witpqs

quote:

DaBigBabes – Release v02. Files are in three consecutive posts, Dec. 7 start, Dec. 8 start and Ship Art. If scenario files require modification, the version number will cycle, the old file set removed and replaced by the new, and a title changelog put in the post.

Patch 4, or later, is “Required !!”. The Japanese AI files function fairly well. The Allied AI files not at all.

DaBigBabes_AE_Scen028_v01 : 07/02/10 : Full Campaign; Dec. 7 Start Deleted - Replaced with
DaBigBabes_AE_Scen028_v02 : 07/22/10 : Full Campaign; Dec. 7 Start Deleted - Replaced with
DaBigBabes_AE_Scen028_v03 : 09/04/10 : Full Campaign; Dec. 7 Start Deleted - Replaced with
DaBigBabes_AE_Scen028_v03a : 09/05/10 : Full Campaign; Dec. 7 Start Deleted - Replaced with

DaBigBabes_AE_Scen028_v04 : 10/29/10 : Full Campaign; Dec. 7 Start - Enhanced AAA

Don't forget to download the ship art.

JWE - This file is calling itself scenario 29 when you click on the attachment pop-up. (29 also calls itself 29, which I assume it is.)

Edit to Add: The files inside the zip are named 28, so it looks like the zip is just named wrong.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 10/29/2010 5:16:35 PM >

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 82
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/29/2010 6:34:32 PM   
JWE

The file is actually named correctly.

BigBabes_AEScen028_v04 10_29.zip

What you see is a foreshortened name (with a couple dots in the middle) that shows the 10_29 at the end (which is the date stamp).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 83
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/29/2010 9:42:22 PM   
witpqs

quote:

The file is actually named correctly.

BigBabes_AEScen028_v04 10_29.zip

What you see is a foreshortened name (with a couple dots in the middle) that shows the 10_29 at the end (which is the date stamp).

Doh!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 84
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/30/2010 12:32:42 AM   
Herrbear

Thank you JWE.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 85
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/30/2010 1:18:19 AM   
Nomad

What is the proper procedure for updating in a PBEm game?

(in reply to Herrbear)
Post #: 86
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/30/2010 12:27:37 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad
What is the proper procedure for updating in a PBEm game?

Not exactly sure since we play H2H with an open file. I believe the Japanese player goes first and hits yes when prompted at the select savegame screen to update. I think the Allied player just gets a warning "scenario data has changed" or somesuch. Michaelm would know for sure, since he put it in place.

Check out Admiral DadMan's sticky at the top of the main forum "Update Procedure for PBEM". I know it's about updating the executable, but the same general sequence should apply for updating data.

Ciao. J

< Message edited by JWE -- 10/30/2010 12:43:25 PM >

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 87
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/30/2010 4:38:21 PM   
Local Yokel

quote:

Shore Party:
Shore Party is a sub-set of Nav Sup. Nav Sup does many things that are not appropriate to the stock devices. Shore Party devices assist in loading/unloading but do not assist in repairing or rearming. Repair/rearm points were very far and few between, for both sides, and thus with BigBabes, but both sides recognized an imperative for stevedoring and non-integral lift capability. Thus Shore Partys and a skoosh of code that lets them give an unload bonus to ‘local’ amphib TFs.

John, I like very much the idea of distinguishing in this way between different trades such as stevedores, ship repairers and ammunition handlers, but I'm having a problem seeing how the distinction is drawn, as I haven't found any Japanese squads in the Devices table that are actually named 'Shore Party'. The nearest thing I have seen appears to be the IJA Shipping Engineer Squad. Are these the shore parties in question, or are some devices named 'Naval Support' made more/less capable than others of the same name, e.g. by reference to the unit to which they are attached?

If the NavSup devices that assist the re-arming of ships have become scarcer then it becomes all the more vital to be able to identify the units to which they are assigned, so that they can be deployed most efficiently.

On a completely unrelated point, I see that most of the Japanese Home Islands base forces containing 90 Aviation Support in their TOE are located at places having small airfield values - usually 2. It seemed a bit counter-intuitive for so many specialist aircraft maintainers to be posted to small airbases, and I note that they are all static units, so you can't move them to locations with bigger airfields. Was this an oversight or (as I suspect) a cunning ploy obliging the Japanese player to enlarge certain bases in order to get full value from the aviation support they contain?

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 88
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/30/2010 6:58:14 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel
John, I like very much the idea of distinguishing in this way between different trades such as stevedores, ship repairers and ammunition handlers, but I'm having a problem seeing how the distinction is drawn, as I haven't found any Japanese squads in the Devices table that are actually named 'Shore Party'. The nearest thing I have seen appears to be the IJA Shipping Engineer Squad. Are these the shore parties in question, or are some devices named 'Naval Support' made more/less capable than others of the same name, e.g. by reference to the unit to which they are attached?

G'day to ya Mr Palmer,
It's in the Device file. Go to Devices and look at some Squads. At the bottom of the main scroll list, there's a column of five or so check boxes - the bottom one is Shore Party. So your Ship Eng Sqds should have Shore Party checked.
quote:

If the NavSup devices that assist the re-arming of ships have become scarcer then it becomes all the more vital to be able to identify the units to which they are assigned, so that they can be deployed most efficiently.

Anything that is Naval Support is called Naval Support. There's no way to call or name NavSup anything else.
quote:

On a completely unrelated point, I see that most of the Japanese Home Islands base forces containing 90 Aviation Support in their TOE are located at places having small airfield values - usually 2. It seemed a bit counter-intuitive for so many specialist aircraft maintainers to be posted to small airbases, and I note that they are all static units, so you can't move them to locations with bigger airfields. Was this an oversight or (as I suspect) a cunning ploy obliging the Japanese player to enlarge certain bases in order to get full value from the aviation support they contain?

Wish it was a cunning ploy, and maybe it was on the part of the Air people. I think a lot of those are training bases that were established as time went on. Many don't come into play for some time. Knowing the Air people as I do, I would expect some sort of underhanded sneakiness on their part. I'll ask the question, but I'll bet it's because they are just as mentally deranged and sadistic as I.

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 89
RE: DaBigBabes Release - 10/30/2010 8:04:23 PM   
Local Yokel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

G'day to ya Mr Palmer,
It's in the Device file. Go to Devices and look at some Squads. At the bottom of the main scroll list, there's a column of five or so check boxes - the bottom one is Shore Party. So your Ship Eng Sqds should have Shore Party checked.

Aha, got it! So, it's a value stored in the Attributes bitfield - no wonder I didn't see it; I had only looked at Japanese units.

You might want to take a look at devices 1065 and 1197. Actually, I can see an LVT-2 could well be used to assist (un)loading operations through the surf so the shore party attribute may well have been intentional for this. However, I'm struggling to see how a 5.25" DP gun would qualify!

Oh, and the IJA Shipping Eng Squads (Device 698) don't have the shore party attribute - so far as I can see none of the Japanese units do. Possibly not as intended?

quote:

quote:

Anything that is Naval Support is called Naval Support. There's no way to call or name NavSup anything else.

So just a case of there being fewer of them, I take it? That's fine; just needed to be sure of what I was looking for.

quote:

quote:

Wish it was a cunning ploy, and maybe it was on the part of the Air people. I think a lot of those are training bases that were established as time went on. Many don't come into play for some time. Knowing the Air people as I do, I would expect some sort of underhanded sneakiness on their part. I'll ask the question, but I'll bet it's because they are just as mentally deranged and sadistic as I.

And it was exactly with an eye to setting up good training bases that I was checking Home Islands base forces having plenty of aviation support. Probably need to expand the airfields concerned with all those Korean labourers...

Fantastic to get so quick a response - thank you very much, John!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: DaBigBabes Release Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI