Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Torpedoes use question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Torpedoes use question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Torpedoes use question. - 11/2/2010 3:47:41 PM   
hkbhsi

My understanding of the torpedo use, as stated by the manual, is that the airgroup needs to be in range of an Air Hq with the torpedo Ordnance device.

In the last turn of my game, during the Air Operation section I notice a message that an Allied cargo ship was spotted by a H8K2 flying from Tarawa and reported hit.

I know that the hit report can be due to FOW, but the strange thing is that, when I looked at the Airgroup, the torpedos device is highlighted in yellow, meaning that it is in use.
According to my knowledge that should not be the case, as the closest Air Hq is at Kwajeleim, well beyond range. Furthermore, all the other H8K2 stationed in bases in CentPac and out of range from the HQ at Kwejeleim are not able to use torpedoes.

Looking at Tarawa, the only thing different from the other bases is the presence of a Special Base Unit (that doesn't have the torpedo ordnance device in the TOE though) and a very high level of supply (about 50K tons).

My question is if the above situation is a bug, or if one of the 2 elements I mentioned allows the use of torpedoes even outside the range of an Air Hq.

Thanks a lot.

Post #: 1
RE: Torpedoes use question. - 11/2/2010 3:56:39 PM   
Sardaukar

I think Command HQ can also provide the ability, maybe unit is in range of Command HQ?

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to hkbhsi)
Post #: 2
RE: Torpedoes use question. - 11/2/2010 4:28:48 PM   
michaelm75au

Are you sure it was hit by a torpedo?

During the air search phase, the weapon load for extended range is generally used for planes on ASW or Naval Search missions. This would normally exclude torpedoes from the mission.

In the case of the H8K2 this would have been bombs as it is the normal mission load at that range.

Michael

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: Torpedoes use question. - 11/2/2010 4:36:36 PM   
hkbhsi

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Are you sure it was hit by a torpedo?

During the air search phase, the weapon load for extended range is generally used for planes on ASW or Naval Search missions. This would normally exclude torpedoes from the mission.

In the case of the H8K2 this would have been bombs as it is the normal mission load at that range.

I am not sure that the ship was it at all due to FOW, the thing that I found strange is that the torpedo device for the airgroup is highlighted in yellow (meaning that it can be used) while all other groups in the area have the device highlighted in red.

Regarding Command Hq the closest one is at Kwajeleim which is well beyond range.

After a double check I noticed that this is the only PA air group outside of Air HQ range that has the torpedo device listed in Yellow.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 4
RE: Torpedoes use question. - 11/2/2010 7:02:25 PM   
michaelm75au

The 'using torpedo' is really only effective for strike missions against ships and ports, not search ones.

Michael

(in reply to hkbhsi)
Post #: 5
RE: Torpedoes use question. - 11/2/2010 7:08:46 PM   
hkbhsi

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

The 'using torpedo' is really only effective for strike missions against ships and ports, not search ones.

Yes but then why the same type on planes with the same naval search mission in different bases have the torpedoes device highlighted in red instead of yellow?

When I get home later tonight I will try to change the orders for the unit to naval attack and see if the torpedo device will still be available. I am also thinking about moving a Nell group there and see if they can fly Naval attack with torpedoes.

Thanks a lot Michael

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 6
RE: Torpedoes use question. - 11/2/2010 7:40:50 PM   
hkbhsi

I just run a quick test and if I change the group order to naval attack the torpedo device become red, meaning that they are not available as it should be per the rule.

So everything is working correctly.

Thanks again Michael.

(in reply to hkbhsi)
Post #: 7
RE: Torpedoes use question. - 11/3/2010 2:01:30 AM   
jomni

Torps are never used in search mission right? Too heavy to get good range.
They take along bombs to deal with opportunity targets.

(in reply to hkbhsi)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Torpedoes use question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI