Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sorry, but this is wrong

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> RE: Sorry, but this is wrong Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/8/2010 3:33:50 AM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nebogipfel

I guess, everyone here is smart enough to recognize, that such complex games like Harpoon will allways have some couple of bugs

Those even more smarter will find some couple of HUNDREDS of bugs. And, sadly, I agree: a game like Harpoon will always have these - but not because it is "complex".

Want to look at a complex game and check what Matrix was able to do to IMPROVE it - given some programmers with real balls? Chech the TOAW III board.

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 91
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/8/2010 3:47:32 AM   
Erik Rutins

Vincenzo,

I believe you've read the forum guidelines regarding non-constructive posts and bug reports based on third party databases. Consider this a warning.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 92
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/8/2010 3:49:05 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545
Wow, Novastar. Brings back some memories. I think that's where Wild Bill started making scenarios iirc.

Indeed - Wild Bill and Mike Wood (the programmer for those camaigns) created most of the Mega Campaigns for Steel Panthers with us after NovaStar sadly closed.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 93
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/8/2010 3:55:02 AM   
junk2drive

I installed DoxBox just so I could try Tanks!. We've come a long way.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 94
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/8/2010 12:09:19 PM   
Nebogipfel

Hi Vincenzo glad to see you´re alive

you seem to have lost the other part of my post, that ANW is/was till 3.10 still buggy.

But it would be a bit harsh to say, that it´s unplayable.

Regards

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 95
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/9/2010 12:25:58 AM   
billyjj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

If the higher price is needed to keep making games, so be it.

I guess you don't understand the simple fact that the price will come down if you weren't so eager to pay. It is plain and simple to see this is all a money grab once again. You are a Matrix fanboy and there is nothing i can do, but the majority of people are being turned off by the price. So they will have to raise the prices even higher to make up for less customers and who will pay for this? The loyal matrix fanboy that believes whatever Erik Rutgens posts about why he has to charge and arm and a leg.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 96
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/9/2010 3:11:36 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: billyjj

I guess you don't understand the simple fact that the price will come down if you weren't so eager to pay. It is plain and simple to see this is all a money grab once again. You are a Matrix fanboy and there is nothing i can do, but the majority of people are being turned off by the price. So they will have to raise the prices even higher to make up for less customers and who will pay for this? The loyal matrix fanboy that believes whatever Erik Rutgens posts about why he has to charge and arm and a leg.

I have no reason to disbelieve what Erik says, although I don't always agree with it - or some Matrix pricing - which my previous post made quite clear. I would point out that most of the comments on the price of BotB came from Panther, not Matrix; perhaps you might go read them. It may come as news to you that they, like several other developers here, actually make bugger all in the way of profits on their games; it's the day job (or the defence contracts) that pays the bills.

Apart from which, your post makes no sense. You accuse Matrix of a 'money grab', yet also claim the 'majority of people' (which people?) are being turned off by the price. On the assumption that those at Matrix are not idiots, they will choose a price that they believe will maximise their profits... they are a business, not a charity, and need to behave like one to survive. That may be more than some people are willing or able to pay (there will be some at whatever price, incuding me on some occasions, as I said), but in that respect how is that different to any other leisure product, from DVDs to golf clubs? I'd like CoD: Black Ops, but object to the 25% price premium they've stuck on it and won't buy. But 'the majority of people' still will despite far more of a 'money grab' than Matrix have ever made.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/9/2010 3:12:57 AM >

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 97
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/9/2010 11:47:12 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

When a company sells a game it's expected it will be supported.

I'm sorry, but you have started this entire thread based on a half-truth. You left off the rest of the sentence, "for a time." Matrix has supported the two games packaged in this release very well for several years. Matrix does a fantastic job supporting their games, far superior to almost every other software company.

quote:

How about trying to be fair.

.... your words, not mine.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 98
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 5:13:57 AM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

I'm sorry, but you have started this entire thread based on a half-truth. You left off the rest of the sentence, "for a time." Matrix has supported the two games packaged in this release very well for several years. Matrix does a fantastic job supporting their games, far superior to almost every other software company.

[

HAHA. Far superior to almost every other software company? If I had a dollar for every forum I've read something similar I'd be rich. (slight exaggeration)

If MG simply stopped supporting Harpoon that would be one thing. But they're not. They're still making patches. If they're still making patches then we should get them. We shouldn't have to pay $35 for future patches to the game. I've never seen that anywhere. For example, Battlefront just came out with a new addon for Shock Force. It included the new patch. Now, Shock Force has been out at least as long as Harpoon CE. I bought the addon. BUT if I hadn't I would have gotten the patch for the base game (for free) and other addons anyway. Battlefront might come out with more patches for the game. Everybody, whether or not they bought any addons, will get the patch (for free). That's the way to do business. You don't charge for future patches. I agree MG gives good service generally. But not this time. So, USS America, don't give me crap about this time.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 99
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 5:59:59 AM   
rich12545

I just checked. HCE was released exactly three years ago. Real frankly, in this kind of market, that's way too soon to stop supporting a game.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 100
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 6:38:01 AM   
YankeeAirRat

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

[

HAHA. Far superior to almost every other software company? If I had a dollar for every forum I've read something similar I'd be rich. (slight exaggeration)

If MG simply stopped supporting Harpoon that would be one thing. But they're not. They're still making patches. If they're still making patches then we should get them. We shouldn't have to pay $35 for future patches to the game. I've never seen that anywhere. For example, Battlefront just came out with a new addon for Shock Force. It included the new patch. Now, Shock Force has been out at least as long as Harpoon CE. I bought the addon. BUT if I hadn't I would have gotten the patch for the base game (for free) and other addons anyway. Battlefront might come out with more patches for the game. Everybody, whether or not they bought any addons, will get the patch (for free). That's the way to do business. You don't charge for future patches. I agree MG gives good service generally. But not this time. So, USS America, don't give me crap about this time.

See EA and John Madden. Since 1988 gamers have been buying patches and add-ons to this game religiously. What is even funnier (or worst) is some of the patches and database tweaks that they have done makes anything the almost constant in-fighting tween 'Pooner's and publishers look like arguments over house rules for Monopoly.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 101
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 7:12:13 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

Consider what you have just explained about Battlefront and Shock Force. How do you think Battlefront continue to pay the costs associated with continuing to update the game? By releasing an addon to produce additional income, that would cover the costs. Which is very similar to what Matrix have done, by bundling HCE and ANW, along with other versions of the game, offered at a discount to existing users.

You have to realise the financial realities that face Matrix and that they cannot simply continue to support Harpoon without generating any additional income. The alternative is no patches, no updates and development stops. I'd rather purchase the ultimate edition and see the development of Harpoon continue, than see it simply stop altogether.

quote:

I just checked. HCE was released exactly three years ago. Real frankly, in this kind of market, that's way too soon to stop supporting a game.

I doubt you will find many games, especially those that cost a lot more than Harpoon with much larger budgets and published by much larger companies such as EA or Activision, that are updated even 1 year after their release. This is even when they usually only publish titles that are guaranteed to have sales in the vicinity of half a million units, yet most have already moved on after a few months and assigned staff to other projects. If you think Matrix could afford to have a programmer working on Harpoon for three years or even indefinitely, with sales figures much lower than that in comparison and without any additional income, you really have no understanding of the reality of the situation and I suggest you remember what Erik Rutins said earlier.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Customers regularly confuse what's possible in terms of pricing and development on mainstream computer games with huge markets and economies of scale that we don't have. Niche markets work differently. When you have a game that has a limited market and is developed with limited funding and a small team (in many cases, just one programmer), it makes a big difference in terms of what you can actually do in a year or two development-wise and how much the game has to cost in order to make it possible for even a single programmer to make a living working on the game full-time.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 11/10/2010 7:19:38 AM >

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 102
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 7:53:39 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

For example, Battlefront just came out with a new addon for Shock Force. It included the new patch. Now, Shock Force has been out at least as long as Harpoon CE. I bought the addon. BUT if I hadn't I would have gotten the patch for the base game (for free) and other addons anyway. Battlefront might come out with more patches for the game. Everybody, whether or not they bought any addons, will get the patch (for free). That's the way to do business. You don't charge for future patches.

Reality check : Battlefront is the company that *charges* $5 for the Vista patch for CMBB, a game they're still selling and actively advertizing for - see this month's PC4War magazine.

How's that for "support" ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 103
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 1:42:54 PM   
rich12545

First, the madden game is a joke and everybody knows it. Second, sports sims are a different genre and come out with a new one every year. I have ootp and have bought four or five. That's how they work.

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 104
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 1:49:42 PM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

Consider what you have just explained about Battlefront and Shock Force. How do you think Battlefront continue to pay the costs associated with continuing to update the game? By releasing an addon to produce additional income, that would cover the costs. Which is very similar to what Matrix have done, by bundling HCE and ANW, along with other versions of the game, offered at a discount to existing users.

You have to realise the financial realities that face Matrix and that they cannot simply continue to support Harpoon without generating any additional income. The alternative is no patches, no updates and development stops. I'd rather purchase the ultimate edition and see the development of Harpoon continue, than see it simply stop altogether.

quote:

I doubt you will find many games, especially those that cost a lot more than Harpoon with much larger budgets and published by much larger companies such as EA or Activision, that are updated even 1 year after their release. This is even when they usually only publish titles that are guaranteed to have sales in the vicinity of half a million units, yet most have already moved on after a few months and assigned staff to other projects. If you think Matrix could afford to have a programmer working on Harpoon for three years or even indefinitely, with sales figures much lower than that in comparison and without any additional income, you really have no understanding of the reality of the situation and I suggest you remember what Erik Rutins said earlier.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Customers regularly confuse what's possible in terms of pricing and development on mainstream computer games with huge markets and economies of scale that we don't have. Niche markets work differently. When you have a game that has a limited market and is developed with limited funding and a small team (in many cases, just one programmer), it makes a big difference in terms of what you can actually do in a year or two development-wise and how much the game has to cost in order to make it possible for even a single programmer to make a living working on the game full-time.

Re Battlefront and Shock Force, you just proved my point.

Matrix repackaged Harpoon and added all those old games. This should get them a lot more sales. However they should not force owners to buy this repackage just to get future patches. Battlefront doesn't force owners to buy addons in order to get future patches. MG should simply give those patches for free and not charge for them.

When you talk about larger companies like EA or Activision, you're comparing apples to oranges. MG is a smaller niche company and their business plan should be different than those larger companies. It should be geared more toward giving good service and catering to customers because they depend a lot on repeat business. And generally they do. Just not in this case.

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 105
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 2:00:11 PM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

For example, Battlefront just came out with a new addon for Shock Force. It included the new patch. Now, Shock Force has been out at least as long as Harpoon CE. I bought the addon. BUT if I hadn't I would have gotten the patch for the base game (for free) and other addons anyway. Battlefront might come out with more patches for the game. Everybody, whether or not they bought any addons, will get the patch (for free). That's the way to do business. You don't charge for future patches.

Reality check : Battlefront is the company that *charges* $5 for the Vista patch for CMBB, a game they're still selling and actively advertizing for - see this month's PC4War magazine.

How's that for "support" ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

What reality check? My understanding is that patch was developed by a third party and Battlefront is simply marketing it for that person/company. Maybe that person should have given it away as a mod but it's not Battlefront's fault. BF had stopped supporting the CMx1 games. As I said earlier I have no problem with a company that does that. Those games are now about 10 years old. However, if BF had continued support and if they had developed that patch, I believe they would have given it for free.

MG is continuing to make patches and they should be given away. However, I wouldn't have so much of a problem with this if, when the patch was made, MG explained the benefits and charged $5 to previous owners. Forcing people to spend $35 for Ultimate just to get a few patches that we know nothing about is wrong.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 106
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 3:43:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

Rich, et. al.,

Earlier we "agreed to disagree". I think this is the best policy at this point rather than continuing to beat this dead horse, especially since we are in disagreement on some very fundamental points. Your point of view has been heard, I think we should all just move on to other point now.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 107
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/10/2010 11:07:40 PM   
Magpius

I'm not sure if I understand the whole point of this thread.
(but I'll chime in with my opinion anyway...)
I bought Harpoon by 360, for my Win 95 machine back whenever...(still have the box).
Over the years thought about getting back into the game, when seeing how dedicated and robust the community kept it alive.
The decision by Matrix et.al. to bring out the product in all it's variations seemed a good idea, to me at least, as it now means, I don't need to dither as to which version to get.
If my and others' recent purchase ensures a least a few more iterations (updates), of this classic, great. I assume such development will benefit newcomers and existing users alike.
I like the "old" look of the game, (ANW).  A robust game play and a.i., for me, will always be more important than the latest 'pixel candy'.

So where or why is their such hostility on this thread? If you already own this game, new purchasers that breath life into the threads should be welcomed.
Is anyone forcing you to buy ultimate? and I may be wrong on this point, but has it been said anywhere that existing owners won't have access to any upgrades, if they don't buy in?

Thanks for reading.
A

Post #: 108
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 12:15:27 AM   
TonyAAA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agent S

So where or why is their such hostility on this thread? If you already own this game, new purchasers that breath life into the threads should be welcomed.
Is anyone forcing you to buy ultimate? and I may be wrong on this point, but has it been said anywhere that existing owners won't have access to any upgrades, if they don't buy in?

Thanks for reading.
A

Yes, Matrix's previous Harpoon games will no longer be supported after this next round of patches.

If you own them and want more support after that, you have to buy them again as Harpoon Ultimate.

I've no problem with (as Erik stated in another thread) being asked for $35 every 3-4 years.

However, I have a huge issue with spending ~$100 on Matrix's Harpoons in 2008, then being told I must spend more if I want support past 2010.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 109
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 4:20:27 AM   
bretg80

Game developers have a right to republish and resell their products. We have a right to evaluate the changes and if we don't see value then we won't buy the updates. The diatribe here is interesting, but in the end, if you like the game buy it, if you don't think it's worth the money then don't. Telling Matrix they shouldn't repackage and sell software is not right. They have a right to make money. If you want to vent, then point out the deficiencies, ask for more features and either buy the game, wait for a while and buy it, or look for a different product.

From my point of view, I wanted Harpoon 4. Since they didn't make Harpoon 4, I'm on the sidelines until someone makes it.

As for supporting previous releases, let's be honest, everything in this world eventually ages and is no longer supported. I'm surprised we get the support we do from Matrix on some games. We should all be happy that they support their games as well as they do. Nothing is bug free at release, but developers have to feed their families and indefinite free support just isn't economical for anyone.

Feed a game developer. Everyone is hurting these days.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 110
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 4:57:33 AM   
rich12545

Yep, you and I did agree to disagree and I stand by that. I was simply responding to posts made by others.

Post #: 111
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 4:59:37 AM   
TonyE

<broken record>All versions of Harpoon Classic (including Commander's Edition) have been, are, and will continue to be supported at harpgamer.com</broken record>

We may not be able to release unauthorized patches but we do provide every other means of support.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to TonyAAA)
Post #: 112
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 5:59:25 AM   
Magpius

quote:

Matrix's previous Harpoon games will no longer be supported after this next round of patches. -Tony_A

Sorry Tony_A, where are you sourcing this information?

quote:

All versions of Harpoon Classic (including Commander's Edition) have been, are, and will continue to be supported at harpgamer.com Tony E.

The latter seems rather definitive.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 113
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 7:29:02 AM   
TonyAAA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agent S

Sorry Tony_A, where are you sourcing this information?

Read the 2nd post in the "Harpoon: Ultimate Edition and Our Philosophy " FAQ/Sticky.

Here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2614058

Specifically: "2. These will be the final free updates for HCE and H3ANW, future updates will be based on the Ultimate Edition releases only."

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 114
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 9:18:42 AM   
Hertston

quote:

I don't give a rat's arse about a lot of DOS versions either.

Actually, I think I need to eat some of the proverbial (or indeed not so proverbial!) crow in relation to that. I've actually had quite some fun trawling through the DOS versions, not for serious play but just to see the games evolve. The originals are actually hugely impressive products for their time in all aspects; I wish I had discovered them many years earlier than I did.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 115
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 9:33:26 AM   
jomni

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 116
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 5:51:48 PM   
shauny1987

Personally I am far from well off, but I'm willing to pay a good buck for a good game. I think the key point here is that the devs gave 4 years FREE support and update for
Harpoon. Given that this is their job and not a hobby, that is quite generous. Scarcely do hobbiests have the funds and or collective experience to make such a quality product.

Also the devs have worked hard to keep updating and continuing the 'Harpoon' line of games, its only fair that now and then we pay out the dividends of our continued enjoyment to the creators.

Yes it would be nice if all games were free, but this is the real world and in the real world everyone needs an income, even developers ;)

*and remember, everyone who bought the previous games gets a big discount. Fair enough!

Shaun.

< Message edited by shauny1987 -- 11/11/2010 5:52:54 PM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 117
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 8:18:23 PM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

<broken record>All versions of Harpoon Classic (including Commander's Edition) have been, are, and will continue to be supported at harpgamer.com</broken record>

We may not be able to release unauthorized patches but we do provide every other means of support.

Your continued support at harpgamer is welcome and appreciated.

But we're talking about the patches. And since you will be the one making them, why can't you simply put it out as a zip? I mean, other than some mickey mouse agreement with matrix?

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 118
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 8:23:15 PM   
rich12545

quote:

quote:

I don't give a rat's arse about a lot of DOS versions either.

Actually, I think I need to eat some of the proverbial (or indeed not so proverbial!) crow in relation to that. I've actually had quite some fun trawling through the DOS versions, not for serious play but just to see the games evolve. The originals are actually hugely impressive products for their time in all aspects; I wish I had discovered them many years earlier than I did.

They were excellent at the time. I got Harpoon when it first came out 20 years ago. Had an Apple 2gs and got a pc emulator to be able to play it and one other, Empire Wargame of the Century. Then I bought Harpoon for windows and then Harpoon 97. All very good back then. But I have zero desire to even look at them now any more than I want to play the original Empire.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 119
RE: Sorry, but this is wrong - 11/11/2010 8:29:45 PM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: shauny1987

Personally I am far from well off, but I'm willing to pay a good buck for a good game. I think the key point here is that the devs gave 4 years FREE support and update for
Harpoon. Given that this is their job and not a hobby, that is quite generous. Scarcely do hobbiests have the funds and or collective experience to make such a quality product.

Also the devs have worked hard to keep updating and continuing the 'Harpoon' line of games, its only fair that now and then we pay out the dividends of our continued enjoyment to the creators.

Yes it would be nice if all games were free, but this is the real world and in the real world everyone needs an income, even developers ;)

*and remember, everyone who bought the previous games gets a big discount. Fair enough!

Shaun.

This post is very misleading. First, HCE came out exactly three years ago not four as stated. Also, nobody is asking for a free game, just sopport on games we have already paid for. I've never seen a time limit where companies stop support a game. Some get it longer, some shorter, some devs disappear, whatever. But I've never seen a company ask for more money to keep supporting a game, and a lot of money at that. A $25 discount from $60 is not very much for someone who already bought both games. It's a pittance. If MG doesn't want to continue supporting for free, $25 per game is the only fair discount to offer.

(in reply to shauny1987)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> RE: Sorry, but this is wrong Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI