Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A few questions...new DW fanatic

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> A few questions...new DW fanatic Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/13/2010 7:14:48 PM   
Bateman1982

Hi all,
I've been playing distant worlds for about 2 days and I think its outstanding.
I'm getting to grips with it slowly but had a few questions that I wondered if anyone could help me clear up:

1. In my current game, I've started from scratch with 1 planet and all "normal" speeds and settings. I have about 15 colonies and the game has been going for about 10 years. At this point my homeworld still accounts for about 95% of my total GDP.
The other planets I have seem to be growing really slowly. Is this normal?

2. I noticed there is a "culture" percentage for each colony, is this something different to the development level? Is it connected to luxury resources?

3. I have obtained one of the rare luxury resources (a fruit that extends life). Is there a way to tell which of my colonies are actually receiving it?
One of my neighbours is trading me the ultra rare spice, and I would also like to know which of my colonies are actually getting it, if any.

4.I've been trying to build a resort station next to a black hole but I can't seem to build it within the actual "visible" area of the black hole. If I build it just outside, do I still get the scenic bonus?

Thanks for your help, so much to learn in this game!

I would very much appreciate advice from more experienced gamers.
Post #: 1
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/13/2010 7:39:10 PM   
Merker

Yo, welcome to the forums and this great game. Glad you're enjoying it. To answer yer questions, lad:
1) Colonies grow depending on the number and quantity of normal and luxury resources that they receive. So you need both a source of luxury resources(you can see which in the expansion planner and the sources for it) and a large quantity of it(again the expansion planner provides that info). The quantity greatly depends on the distance from and number of sources, and, more important, of spaceports. Because a spaceport, even a small one, greatly increases a colony's ability to receive and supply cargo, especially from foreign trade( yes, once you have a trade agreement, your colonies get the stuff they need and you don't have from the other empire). So, try building at least a small spaceport per system and increasing the number of luxury resource sources and you'll see a boom in colony development in a couple of years.

2. Yes, culture rating is actually development level, and in turn development level depends greatly on luxury resources, the status of 'capital' and the ruins currently on the planet. If you have lots of luxury resources a planet can reach 90-100 culture rating rather quickly.

3. The Loros fruit is an EXTREMELY valuable resource and you should hold on to it tightly. It is required by all your colonies and so all of them should receive it, provided you have a well developed trade network. Trade network = spaceport network, basically the dotted lines between systems, which mean that resources flow between the ends of those lines. All the systems connected to the system with the Loros fruit get the resource directly, the others get it from the first batch of systems and so on. So if you have a good network of spaceports, cargo will move very fast between worlds and all of your colonies will get it.
The Loros fruit gives a great development bonus to colonies and a population boom, as well as morale. It's advisable to build a proper mining facility for it, or if it's at a colony, you need a big spaceport, because a HUGE number of ships will come to get it.
I have written a few tips and explanations on developing a trade network here, if you're interested
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2539817
As for the korrabian spice, it's also a great resource for your colonies, granting huge development bonuses. You should try to set up a trade agreement with the other empire so you get more of that. I recommend you trade your loros fruit with that empire as well, that way both of you profit. As with the fruit, all of your colonies should get the spice, but it depends on your trade network. To ensure that you get the maximum amount of spice from trade you should build a medium or large spaceport as close as you can to the other empire without entering their borders. That will make trading a lot more easier, especially if you have a trade agreement, and tons of freighters will come at your spaceport.
To check if your colonies have a resource, open the build menu and click on cargo, it should show all the cargo on the colony.

4. Well, if you build it in an area that says 'black hole name' in the corner of the screen when you look at it(meaning you are looking at the area of the general phenomenon) then it should be ok. I recommend adding a few labs of each kind to the resort base design for an extra bonus.

Hope this helps

Cheers

< Message edited by Merker -- 11/13/2010 7:40:54 PM >

(in reply to Bateman1982)
Post #: 2
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/14/2010 9:55:45 AM   
Bateman1982

Thanks for that information, I feel like I understand that much better now.

So the dotted lines mean connected by spaceport trading network... I wondered what they meant.

I'll take a look at your other post and try to expand my trade network by building more spaceports, I think I've only got a spaceport in about 4 out of my 15 ish systems at the moment, so perhaps thats why my colony growth is slow.

My loros fruit source is an uncolonizable planet thats located in another empires star system. They hadn't claimed that planet yet so I built a mining facility on it. Probably upset them a bit but don't think they will do anything about it, as we are best buds and have just signed a mutual protection pact.

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 3
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/14/2010 10:44:35 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bateman1982

My loros fruit source is an uncolonizable planet thats located in another empires star system. They hadn't claimed that planet yet so I built a mining facility on it. Probably upset them a bit but don't think they will do anything about it, as we are best buds and have just signed a mutual protection pact.

Bateman1982;
Glad you're enjoying the game....BUT...
Do not pass GO....IMMEDIATELY....I say again....IMMEDIATELY, Send a STRONG, High
FirePower Military fleet to the Loros Fruit planet to protect your Mining Station as
well as hold your possession of the Loros Planet. DO NOT trust your Mutual Protection
Pact "buddies"! Remember Pearl Harbor!
Enjoy & have fun!

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 11/14/2010 10:45:38 PM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Post #: 4
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/15/2010 1:24:04 AM   
Jeeves

quote:

we are best buds and have just signed a mutual protection pact.

HA-HA-HAA-HAAA- HA
They asked for a mutual defense pact, because when you signed it, they received your most valuable possession for free - your galaxy map.

I am writing a strategy guide precisely so that subtle things like the above will be revealed. It will be 2-3 weeks before I have the guide ready for review by the staff. I have about 30 pages of 50 to 70 written, but I discovered that my text was REALLY poor grammar...

Post #: 5
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/15/2010 7:17:37 AM   
Bateman1982

Haha, you guys sound so cynical, don't you trust the AI to keep its word? Have you had bad experiences?

I'm tempted to leave it unprotected now just to see if the AI is ruthless enough to try and take it.

Bear in mind:
1. My military rating is top in the galaxy, their rating is 3rd out of 4. (I was top anyway, but just got a gigantic boost by finding a world destroyer so am way out in front now).

2. They are "delighted" with me based on many factors, but we also do about 200k trade with each other which is defined as "colossal"

3.Their GDP is slightly higher than mine.

Would they really go back on our alliance just to get that resource? I would've thought my military stature would put them off doing anything silly.

Though I guess if they have a higher GDP they could in theory build up their military to be better than mine.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 6
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/15/2010 7:28:43 AM   
Jeeves

Well, that depends upon the race, for which I provide the following summary :
Dependability bad = Ketarov-30,Ugnari-30,Dhayut-30,Gizurean-20, Boskara-20,Sluken-20,Haakonish-20,Mortalen-20
poor = Wekkarus-10,Zenox+5
moderate = Shandar+9,Naxillian+12,,Ikkuro+14
good to excellent = Ackdarian+20,Human+20,Atuuk+25,Securan+25,Quameno+30,Kiadian+37,Teekan+42

Post #: 7
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/15/2010 8:17:50 AM   
Jeeves

quote:

My loros fruit source is an uncolonizable planet

Marshy swamp planet colonization is easy to learn. If you can manage to colonize an independent colony of Ketarov, then the first thing which your new colony should build is a colony ship to settle on that Loros fruit world...

Post #: 8
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/15/2010 3:42:08 PM   
Bateman1982

For this (my first proper game), I just set small galaxy with 4 other races in it. I'm now getting on very well diplomatically with the other 3 largest empires, and the other one seems to small to realistically bother anyone.
The other empires are kiadian and securan, and as I am human we're all getting along very well.

In fact I think I may start a new game, everyone is extremely peaceful in this one. Think it was just luck of the draw with the randomly generated AI empires that I got.
Easy introduction for my first game though.

Think next time will go with a medium sized galaxy, maybe 10 AI empires and set research to fast speed, as that also seems to be going incredibly slowly in my current game. I'm sure I read in another thread that if you're starting with basic tech levels, to set the research speed to fast otherwise you just make no progress.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 9
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/15/2010 4:04:22 PM   
Jeeves

quote:

I think I may start a new game,

Try an Atuuk until they become too easy. Another to try is Teekan. If you like wars try Gizurean, with priority at your home world for colonizing Teekan and Securan. You can use those two to colonize ANY race...

Post #: 10
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/15/2010 7:35:19 PM   
flap

By the way Jeeves, I am really looking forward your strategy guide !

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 11
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/15/2010 8:18:44 PM   
Jeeves

quote:

ORIGINAL: flap

By the way Jeeves, I am really looking forward your strategy guide !

Thank you for having confidence that it will be worth the wait. I have greatly improved my initial text, which (LOL) I shared with Beta Testers. I was severely embarrassed to discover that the text was riddled with poor writing practices. I did searches on the words which (LOL) I abused most often, beginning with "which". I have a fondness for overly complex sentences using clauses, which (LOL) I am attempting to correct. I am currently on page 7 of 35 doing a complete revision of my draft document. When the revision is completed, I can resume work on the sections which (LOL) are still only headers, with no text content.

I simply CANNOT exorcise "which" from my writing practice, though I am striving mightily in the attempt!

EDIT - I just did a search and found that 204 "which" remain in the text, in 35*50 lines, giving a frequency of about 1/8 lines. The document is much improved, since there were over 800 "which" in the draft...

< Message edited by Jeeves -- 11/15/2010 8:40:32 PM >

(in reply to flap)
Post #: 12
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/15/2010 8:55:06 PM   
RooksBailey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeeves

I am writing a strategy guide precisely so that subtle things like the above will be revealed. It will be 2-3 weeks before I have the guide ready for review by the staff.

That's great! A strategy game is exactly what this game needs as the manual, while good, is too superficial to be much help for grasping the implications of the mechanics and your actions.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 13
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/16/2010 7:57:47 AM   
flap

(oups, I am going really off topic there...)

Hey, Jeeves I have been writing a few long documents too (around 100 pages), both for work and personnal purpose, and either in my langage and english. So, I really understand the work and energy that it would imply just to write things down. And I don't mention the huge proof reading task that you are undertaking now.

I have seen somewhere else that you are planning to talk a bit with Matrix to release it. Interresting... Actually, I think that your project would deserve some more attention. And if a next addon / update in planned for the next 6 weeks, there might be some nice coordination to do.

Also as your project really seems as a big and worthy one, I would really be glad to conduct an interview of you, to be published (here or we'll find some wargamers sites) just before the release of your document.

Well, just to say that your sweat is appreciated.

(in reply to RooksBailey)
Post #: 14
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/16/2010 8:30:43 AM   
Jeeves

quote:

just before the release of your document.

Make that just AFTER release. Until it IS released, my strategy guide project is unsolicited game fan work. Processing the .rtf file which I am producing into a document worthy of posting on this or any other site will require expert assistance. AAAARRRGGGGHHH there went another "which"!

(in reply to flap)
Post #: 15
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/16/2010 9:25:14 AM   
flap

Hmm. It depends how high your target is.
- First, you don't really need autorisation to write and publish a strategy guide. Except, of course, of you wish this to be bundled with the game and have Matrix' support...
- Also, the top value of such a document is the content, not the form. So, if you consider this as a doc for hardcore players, .rtf is largely enough. If you aim at a wider audiance, or something that can be shown by Matrix to help promoting the game, yes form is important.

I am not definitaly not an expert when it deals with making a good looking document. But, I have got some experience in structuring ideas, and sometimes easing their flow in the text. It seems that you have some assistance already ; but if you wish, I could have a look... (Saturday or Sunday).

There probably is a PM option here, no ?

< Message edited by flap -- 11/16/2010 9:42:14 AM >

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 16
RE: A few questions...new DW fanatic - 11/18/2010 9:40:05 PM   
DracoRedux

Excellent idea, Jeeves. If you need further help with proofreading and/or content testing, feel free to pm me at your earliest convenience.

(in reply to flap)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> A few questions...new DW fanatic Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI