Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does the AI attack at all?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Does the AI attack at all? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does the AI attack at all? - 11/23/2010 4:33:33 PM   
Huskalator

I have played a few games thus far and have yet to see the AI attack me or another AI player. Am I missing something?
Post #: 1
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 11/23/2010 4:58:26 PM   
lordxorn

The AI definitely attacks, what settings do you have the AI on?

I have seen situations where the AI will directly target my home world.

(in reply to Huskalator)
Post #: 2
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 11/23/2010 5:13:42 PM   
Pipewrench

I can second that and add that the AI attacks other AI empires as well. 

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 3
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 11/23/2010 6:12:17 PM   
Spacecadet

Yeah, and when they're in a really nasty mood they'll slip a Troop Transport in and take one of your planets without even declaring war . . . . Pearl Harbor style.

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 4
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 11/23/2010 6:19:17 PM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

Yeah, and when they're in a really nasty mood they'll slip a Troop Transport in and take one of your planets without even declaring war . . . . Pearl Harbor style.

That is one of the interesting aspects of DW, where you can pull North Korean style skirmishes without actually declaring war. This is actually the preferred method, because you can provoke your target into declaring war first, and not suffer the huge penalty of being the first one to declare war.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 5
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 11/23/2010 6:38:17 PM   
WoodMan

AI will declare war when it has -relations in the diplomacy screen and when it is more powerful than its target.  Or when you do something really harsh to it first, but then thats not really the AI attacking, but responding to an attack.

If you are not seeing wars I'm guessing its because all the factionsa are of about equal power, or the friendly nations less likely to declare war are more powerful than the nasty ones (which is common, especially if the nasty ones have the rubbish government types like Despotism or Military Dictatorship).

Saying all this, I see AI vs AI wars every single game, often from near the beggining, but yes attacks on me are much rarer, though they have happened.  Usually I find myself more competing with a nation than outright fighting it in war.  I give weapon and shield techs to their enemies, I take independent planets in their backgarden etc, try and keep my military strength as good as theirs (which in turn makes them less likely to attack).

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 6
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 11/23/2010 7:26:59 PM   
s20dan

In my last play through I was attacked quite a lot ;)  But I was the evil humans modded to have the planet destroying laser, and as such no-one liked me very much hehe.
In that particular game, all my larger civ freighters had either the deathray or the super laser, I forget which.... funny watching them take out pirates with the death ray hehe...  But they would miss a lot of the time, and generally only get off one shot before death.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 7
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 11/24/2010 6:46:46 PM   
J HG T

The AI attacks a lot if it has a change. Has ships available to be precise. Also it pick targets pretty well. Leave high-value planets undefended and AI will take advantage of that. Some things to know though: Keep eye on agressive empires that tend to wage wars with everybody. If empire decides to declare war on you but is already fighting on other fronts, it's basically open for some insane beating. Agressive AI has tendency to wage multi-front wars with insufficient fleets so you can take advantage of this. If possible, micro-manage some scouts to keep eye on agressive empires main-fleet and go on invasion spree on their undefended systems.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to s20dan)
Post #: 8
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 11/24/2010 11:01:40 PM   
Pipewrench

deep breakfast,
to give you an idea I was just hit 20 minutes ago with the world destroyer with no declaration against my home planet. The AI is not perfect but does attack.

what I did was to turn down the planet quality , increase the pirates, slow research and make other empires very restless.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 9
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 11/25/2010 12:54:58 AM   
Erik Rutins

Deep Breakfast,

Yes, it definitely attacks, but there are many factors that can change the game experience. Your choice of race and government type vs. the AI player choices and the basic galaxy settings. Set it to "Chaos" with some races and government types that are opposed to yours if you want to see a lot of action.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 10
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 12/2/2010 8:12:12 PM   
Gertjan

"Agressive AI has tendency to wage multi-front wars with insufficient fleets so you can take advantage of this"

Should this be considered as a flaw? In my opinion it should as even aggressive races should only attack when they are ready. Although some randomness would make the game more fun. Do you agree with me?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 12/2/2010 9:00:37 PM   
The_Great_Mustachio

Yes it does, sometimes recklessly so.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 12
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 12/2/2010 9:05:46 PM   
J HG T

The overagressive AI can be considered flawed in some ways. Allthough, if you thing of it, it can also be considered as nice feature if you are into roleplaying. Overagressive empires are just that proud of themselves and try to show the rest of the universe who's who, no matter what. They rather die fighting than admitting that they are inferior to other species.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 12/2/2010 9:06:08 PM >

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 13
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 12/2/2010 9:09:27 PM   
ASHBERY76

It is not good for roleplaying when so called xenophobic races have tiny empires and no fleet due to stupid A.I diplomacy.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 14
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 12/2/2010 9:18:06 PM   
J HG T

A fair point. The AI still needs some common sense regarding wars and diplomacy. AI should also be able to say "No! No matter the cost" to some suggestions depending on their situation and characteristics. It can still be exploited very easily if you want to.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 15
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 12/2/2010 10:19:33 PM   
Pipewrench

3 ht T,

agreed and if the community with design wanted to post exploits we all could make the game into major challenge. When all the bugs are worked out I am positive many very good ideas could tweak the AI.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 16
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 12/2/2010 10:59:38 PM   
adecoy95

i have been toying around with the highest agression level lately, its interesting, if you want the ai to attack, use this! they are challenging.

however... there are some things i would suggest improving on... currently when troop transports take a world, the ai will run off to the next one without collecting ANY troops for the job... then they will just blow up the star port and sit around a little while twiddling their thumbs...

on the other hand... the world they ran to in my game and sat around at was my homeworld.. (i was 1 component away from a red claw ship when the port blew up ) and they took it about 30 min later

i also sent my ships out there to stop them... i dropped troops to retake my homeworld... but then the blue ai ran over and dropped troops of his own... and took the world

so now the world has 12 troops up there, half of them were mine!!!

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 12/2/2010 11:00:26 PM >

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 17
RE: Does the AI attack at all? - 12/2/2010 11:10:26 PM   
Pipewrench

adecoy95

thats what is fun. We just have to tweak the AI to think outside of the box and become a little more evil.....

sharks with lazers would really be a challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Does the AI attack at all? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI