Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Happy Thanksgiving America

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Happy Thanksgiving America Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 7:30:28 AM   
JudgeDredd

Have a good few days, drink lots, eat lots and enjoy the footie

Alba gu' brath
Post #: 1
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 7:39:34 AM   
jomni

What's strange is some malls in my home contry (in Asia) are also having Thanksgiving sales.

< Message edited by jomni -- 11/25/2010 7:46:06 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 9:15:38 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

What's strange is some malls in my home contry (in Asia) are also having Thanksgiving sales.

Why not? You play baseball in Asia, no?

And; thanks JD-I'll be doing just that-the wife has started cooking today-pies and stuff-turkey in the morning. Sweat pants will be in order in another 12 or so hours.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 3
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 9:25:18 AM   
ilovestrategy

Thanks JD! That means a lot to me! 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 4
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 10:39:53 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Got 2 "Black Friday Sales" emails from *British* wargame tabletop companies already

Anyway, we're having chicken-mushroom-little meatballs and mashed potatoes tonight so I guess we're already half-Americanized

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 5
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 12:35:14 PM   
Yogi the Great

I will eat too much from today through New Years day.

More and more stores now open on Thanksgiving Day itself. Others opening at Midnight or 3 a.m. Friday. Is this really a good thing?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 11/25/2010 1:19:04 PM >

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 6
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 1:34:39 PM   
diablo1

quote:

Others opening at Midnight or 3 a.m. Friday. Is this really a good thing?

Yes it's a great thing for those of us who have to be at work by 5am or 6am. I can finally get to some of those Black Friday sales before everything is sold out. Of course I will get in on the fun of pushing and shoving little old ladies out of the way for the good stuff. hahah j/k

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 7
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 1:38:58 PM   
JudgeDredd

What are Black Friday Sales??

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 8
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 1:46:25 PM   
diablo1

It's when they mark down the last item they have of several things millions of people want to 1/2 price or less. Like this year Target has a Westinghouse 42" LCD 1080P Wide Flat Screen TV for $298....hahah there will be a million people there at 5am who want it but only ONE person will get it. There's been people actually killed (stomped to death) trying to get to these items on sale. People will push you down trying to be first.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 1:48:14 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. Traditionally one of the biggest shopping days for Christmas and the Holiday season. Quite often a real mad house and good day to avoid. Some camp out for several days by stores for the special deals which can run out in a short time. All stores have big sales though for the whole day.

For some it is a tradition to go out shopping the Day after Thanksgiving

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 1:49:52 PM   
diablo1

This year stores are actually going to be open on Thanksgiving day but the big sales still won't kickin until starting at 4am Friday morning.

Post #: 11
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 3:07:26 PM   
htuna

Thanks JD..

Patriots vs Lions.. (I hope that means an easy win, they've had some tough opponents last few weeks)!

Black Friday is Mad House sales in America, where people get up at the crack of dawn Friday to face mad crowds to get a 'few deals' here and there (most of the time the HOT items sell out quickly)... it's something I don't partake in (except maybe online)..

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 12
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 3:09:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks everyone - in between work I will be getting together with family and enjoying the annual Thanksgiving feast.

You also have Thanksgiving to thank for the timing of our annual Holiday Sale, as this is the beginning of the US holiday sales period.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 13
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 4:22:01 PM   
jwarrenw13

My wife and daughter are card-carrying, official Native Americans. My ancestry is Scotch-Irish (mother, Mc-something) and English-Norman (dad, my family name). Are my wife and daughter supposed to hate me today for the European conquest? Better yet, when I watch Braveheart, which side should I be cheering for? I guess it is okay. My wife is making dressing and pecan pie as her contribution to a big Thanksgiving dinner this evening being put on by her family. It is a Louisiana-Arkansas style meal, based on where her family lives, meaning a strange mix of traditional Thanksgiving food and Cajun dishes.

Oh, I forgot to say, happy Thanksgiving to all, and God bless the military personnel serving around the world today (non-political statement not implying support or opposition to any ongoing military operation ). Being retired Army, I know how it feels to be halfway around the world on a day like today.

Another edit - Damn you Matrix for your holiday sale. Now I have to talk to my wife about which game I'm going to buy on sale, and she is in the kitchen close to the cutlery.

< Message edited by JW -- 11/25/2010 4:29:21 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 6:44:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

There are a couple of Thanksgiving quizzes on the BBC website today - I took the "easy" one (got 4/10 - well I'm not North American so perhaps forgivable!) and it asked what is the day after Thanksgiving called. Apparently its Black Friday and is so-named because its the day US retailers move into profit a.k.a the Black.

Happy Thanksgiving to our US friends

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 8:03:33 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW
Another edit - Damn you Matrix for your holiday sale. Now I have to talk to my wife about which game I'm going to buy on sale, and she is in the kitchen close to the cutlery.

LOL - ok, here's something you might consider buying for her

http://www.cheaponsale.com/buy-plastic_cook_utensils/

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 16
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 8:29:15 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

There are a couple of Thanksgiving quizzes on the BBC website today - I took the "easy" one (got 4/10 - well I'm not North American so perhaps forgivable!) and it asked what is the day after Thanksgiving called. Apparently its Black Friday and is so-named because its the day US retailers move into profit a.k.a the Black.

Happy Thanksgiving to our US friends

Not sure if it is the same on the other side of the pond, but in the U.S. it is common for gains/profits to be printed in black and debt/losses to be printed in red. The day after Thanksgiving is the largest shopping day of the year and many retailers make their largest gains in profit.

Thank you for the sentiment!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 17
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 10:02:44 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

My wife and daughter are card-carrying, official Native Americans. My ancestry is Scotch-Irish (mother, Mc-something) and English-Norman (dad, my family name). Are my wife and daughter supposed to hate me today for the European conquest? Better yet, when I watch Braveheart, which side should I be cheering for? I guess it is okay. My wife is making dressing and pecan pie as her contribution to a big Thanksgiving dinner this evening being put on by her family. It is a Louisiana-Arkansas style meal, based on where her family lives, meaning a strange mix of traditional Thanksgiving food and Cajun dishes.

Oh, I forgot to say, happy Thanksgiving to all, and God bless the military personnel serving around the world today (non-political statement not implying support or opposition to any ongoing military operation ). Being retired Army, I know how it feels to be halfway around the world on a day like today.

Thanks for nothing JW!!!!!! I was born and raised in Shreveport and I'm now stuck here in San Diego DREAMING about that dressing and pecan pie!!!!!!!!

And damn you too Matrix! I see these sales too and my wife is also in the kitchen next to the cutlery!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 18
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/25/2010 10:40:08 PM   
Arctic Blast

Enjoy your late Thanksgiving, Americans!

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 19
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/26/2010 1:59:58 AM   
jomni

Happy Thanksgiving!

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 20
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/26/2010 2:43:36 AM   
axisandallies

What about you JD? Do the English/Scottish/Welsh people have a version of Thanksgiving? I did have a good time with my family and have Friday off.

Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 21
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/26/2010 2:46:15 AM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

quote:

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. Traditionally one of the biggest shopping days for Christmas and the Holiday season. Quite often a real mad house and good day to avoid. Some camp out for several days by stores for the special deals which can run out in a short time. All stores have big sales though for the whole day.

For some it is a tradition to go out shopping the Day after Thanksgiving

I agree Yogi. On a side note how about them badgers? I'm still thinking about that one point loss to you...it still hurts...lol

Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader

Post #: 22
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/26/2010 4:43:11 AM   
jwarrenw13

We had both traditional dressing and cajun oyster dressing with fried turkey and other things. No pecan pie, but sweet potato casserole loaded with pecans.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 23
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 11/26/2010 6:44:34 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: axisandallies

What about you JD? Do the English/Scottish/Welsh people have a version of Thanksgiving? I did have a good time with my family and have Friday off.

Warspite1

We have Harvest Festivals - I recall special services in church and at school for Harvest Festival - but there is no national holiday like in Canada, the US etc in the UK.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to axisandallies)
Post #: 24
RE: Happy Thanksgiving America - 1/16/2012 10:42:46 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Reported 
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Happy Thanksgiving America Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI