Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modifying terrain values

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Modifying terrain values Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modifying terrain values - 8/25/2002 12:27:39 PM   
David boutwell

Gentlemen,

I'm currently working on a map of Oosterbeek Holland, which has a railroad culvert and embankment running across the northern edge of the town. This culvert/embankment (part of it is raised above ground and part of the line is in a ravine) played a key part in the fighting by the 4th Parachute Brigade on the 19th of September.

On the northern side of the railroad lies a large open area known as "Johanna Hoeve". This area was a training ground for a Dutch artillery unit before the war. Anyway, the brigade was committed to assaulting dug in German positions on the eastern edge of the field (which would be like a long rectangle lying longways against the railroad culvert/embankment. As the batle progressed, German kampfgruppen began to close on the Brigade from the west and north. This was not good, because there were only a few places where vehicles could get across the embankment/culvert. This led to a mad dash to get the brigade on the other side of the railroad before the Germans could occupy those crossing points.

Now, the question is, can someone remind me which byte-values in S8 are responsible for movement values of hexes on the map? I want to make sure that vehicles are only able to cross the railroad where they were historically able, but don't want to have to use cliff terrain, as this would prevent infantry from being able to cross as well, would it not? (plus it just don't look right, as the culvert has dirt sides, not rocks)I want to recreate a steep embankment that would be too steep for vehicles to go up or down it, but not have a movement value that would prohibit infantry from "scooting" down and "scrambing" up the other side, as the paras historically did.

Thanks for your help,

David Boutwell

"Out of ammunition. God save the King."
Post #: 1
Re: Modifying terrain values - 8/26/2002 12:38:30 AM   
RockinHarry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David boutwell
[B]Gentlemen,

I'm currently working on a map of Oosterbeek Holland, which has a railroad culvert and embankment running across the northern edge of the town. This culvert/embankment (part of it is raised above ground and part of the line is in a ravine) played a key part in the fighting by the 4th Parachute Brigade on the 19th of September.

On the northern side of the railroad lies a large open area known as "Johanna Hoeve". This area was a training ground for a Dutch artillery unit before the war. Anyway, the brigade was committed to assaulting dug in German positions on the eastern edge of the field (which would be like a long rectangle lying longways against the railroad culvert/embankment. As the batle progressed, German kampfgruppen began to close on the Brigade from the west and north. This was not good, because there were only a few places where vehicles could get across the embankment/culvert. This led to a mad dash to get the brigade on the other side of the railroad before the Germans could occupy those crossing points.

Now, the question is, can someone remind me which byte-values in S8 are responsible for movement values of hexes on the map? I want to make sure that vehicles are only able to cross the railroad where they were historically able, but don't want to have to use cliff terrain, as this would prevent infantry from being able to cross as well, would it not? (plus it just don't look right, as the culvert has dirt sides, not rocks)I want to recreate a steep embankment that would be too steep for vehicles to go up or down it, but not have a movement value that would prohibit infantry from "scooting" down and "scrambing" up the other side, as the paras historically did.

Thanks for your help,

David Boutwell

"Out of ammunition. God save the King." [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi David,

Vehicle movement is directly tied to terrain class (hardcoded) and can´t unfortunetely be edited, but what you want to achieve can easily be done by assigning "Boulders" terrain to your embankment hex. It´s S8 Byte3 = 16. You can check,..as always..my terrain document charts. "boulders" block any vehicle movement but let infantry pass. I use "boulders" layer for any terrain that i don´t want vehicles to go through, like thick forests, steep slopes, ect.
Some thing to note is that also the terrain defense modifier is hardcoded and when "boulders" is used as a layer, the defense modifier will be "Very Good". This is the trade-off when using terrain layers this way, but I find it worth the efforts!

BTW: Load up the map in Freds WaWMap Edit, highlight the to be edited hex and edit in Inspection mode window the S8 Byte3 to 16. Press Retain button, done.

Looking forward to your Arnhem series stuff!:)

have fun

________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to David boutwell)
Post #: 2
- 8/26/2002 10:27:38 AM   
David boutwell

Thanks Harry!

I knew you'd have a solution!

Regards,

David Boutwell

"Out of ammunition. God save the King."

(in reply to David boutwell)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Modifying terrain values Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI