Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Road to Moscow and Supply issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Road to Moscow and Supply issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Road to Moscow and Supply issues - 11/28/2010 3:40:17 AM   
Sherban_MatrixForum

Has anybody tried the Road to Moscow 1941 scenarios? I am struggling with the first one, River Crossing, and the lack of supply is killing me.

I wonder if there is something about supply that I do not know. There are some units that are supposed to repair railroads, but the repair chance and their number are awfully inadequate.

Basically, even with no Soviets laying around, I think it would be quite difficult to reach the eastern edge of the map, considering that you lose 1 SP point per hex and the available SP are pretty low after 3-4 moves (and therefore you are rather far from the intact railroads).

I am puzzled because the scenario is marked as revised for 3.4. Either the supply has not been checked by the designer, either I am doing something terribly wrong.

Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Road to Moscow and Supply issues - 11/28/2010 8:45:04 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sherban

Has anybody tried the Road to Moscow 1941 scenarios? I am struggling with the first one, River Crossing, and the lack of supply is killing me.

Mate, what version of the scenario? Make sure it's the latest and, turn the NEW supply rules on, too (In case you haven't).

quote:

I wonder if there is something about supply that I do not know. There are some units that are supposed to repair railroads, but the repair chance and their number are awfully inadequate.

Remember, rail engineer work best when they have MPs left. Don't split them, if so - in 2 sub unist max.

quote:

Basically, even with no Soviets laying around, I think it would be quite difficult to reach the eastern edge of the map, considering that you lose 1 SP point per hex and the available SP are pretty low after 3-4 moves (and therefore you are rather far from the intact railroads).

It is possible. (I'll send you the sitreps and final screen of my 1st attempt)

quote:

I am puzzled because the scenario is marked as revised for 3.4. Either the supply has not been checked by the designer, either I am doing something terribly wrong.

Make sure it's Rob Kunz latest version; I got it. There were only minor glitches that have been sorted out.

quote:

Any ideas?

See above ;)

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Sherban_MatrixForum)
Post #: 2
RE: Road to Moscow and Supply issues - 12/1/2010 4:16:47 AM   
r6kunz

Thanks for your comments.
First, let me say The Road to Moscow Series is very much a work in progress.

Second, despite the 3.4 label, the “call for scenarios for 3.4” deadline was last May, well before the first 3.4. Therefore all design development was with 3.3. Since then I have continued to fine tune, based mostly based on suggestions from Herr Oberst and others.

Third, I will rework all of them based on the final 3.4, including the new supply rules.

Fourth, a lot of nice discussions are taking placed on the Scenario Design for Battle for Moscow.
(Typhoon, 1941-1942) by Brian Topp. Brian is an expert East Front scenario designer, who has recently started reworking his Operation Typhoon 1941 . I have been incorporating the ideas of the TOAW gurus into RtM.

Fifth, most of the play-test involved Elmer vs. Elmer, to balance to a “0” VP end. Admittedly this has its limitation, but Human vs. Elmer tests of later versions have given German victories (thanks, Oberst).

Lastly, any comments will be appreciated).

(in reply to Sherban_MatrixForum)
Post #: 3
RE: Road to Moscow and Supply issues - 12/1/2010 6:09:31 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Battling it out with a Scots bloke who's a neighbour of mine... He's in in Crete, I am in Cyprus :) RTM - Crossings as PBEM is good for playing the Soviets, you can even get a few beers while moving the Reds around (the ones that can move). I hope our Canadian lad will answer my call.

Also testing your bloody marvelous Ardennes scenario... in northern Part, Stalemate and looks more like the Somme, Ypres or Pachendale... Alas, I am defending well as G.I. Joe. My strategy as German is, send the II SS PzK south... the roads to the Ambleve are bleedin' clogged, as they were historically.

Hope you can convince Brian Topp to adapt your scale and system; it's by far the best! My OOB XML DB, well. I'll doit despite the mockery of the lads! :D

Klink

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Road to Moscow and Supply issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI