Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

To patch or not to patch?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> To patch or not to patch? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
To patch or not to patch? - 12/6/2010 4:44:39 PM   
Icedawg

That is the question.

On browsing this forum the last couple of days, I've noticed that the new patch seems to introduce its fair share of new issues - notably, the Tojo engine is messed up in some way and the surface guns of allied subs have vanished.

I'm worried that if I patch now (while there are new, unresolved issues), I'll be like the little old lady that swallowed a fly.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Also, is there any kind of time estimate as to when these issues may be fixed?

Post #: 1
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/6/2010 6:17:02 PM   
LoBaron

Updated our PBEM and no problems here.

In case you got a game you want to continue I´d recommend not to update the DB of the save though (theres an option where you can decide to continue with the old DB).

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 2
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/6/2010 9:32:23 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

That is the question.

On browsing this forum the last couple of days, I've noticed that the new patch seems to introduce its fair share of new issues - notably, the Tojo engine is messed up in some way and the surface guns of allied subs have vanished.

I'm worried that if I patch now (while there are new, unresolved issues), I'll be like the little old lady that swallowed a fly.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Yes, I feel the same way. Which is why I've elected not to patch at all. No sense possibly borking some games already in progress.

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 3
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/6/2010 10:22:47 PM   
Zemke

No patch for me at this time either, too much at stake in current PBEM games to risk.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/7/2010 4:00:47 AM   
StoneAge

Ground Radar - now works! - If you are late in the war and trying to defend against the Strategic Bombing of Japan - Japan should upgrade NOW or you will be destroyed before you leave the ground - If your the allies don't do it as the Japanese will start shooting down your planes.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 5
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/7/2010 5:02:58 AM   
witpqs

Go ahead and patch, just say "No" to the OOB update to your game in progress.

(in reply to StoneAge)
Post #: 6
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/7/2010 6:26:21 AM   
Sardaukar

What witpqs said. There is absolutely no reason not to patch, if you decline the database changes. You'll want those couple of code changes in executable. 

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/7/2010 5:18:20 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

Does anyone have any idea on this?

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 8
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/7/2010 5:34:51 PM   
Cavalry Corp

I am just about to start a campaign and want confidence about patches - what is up please ?

cav

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 9
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/7/2010 5:55:49 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I am just about to start a campaign and want confidence about patches - what is up please ?

cav

New game = patch and apply data updates
Existing game = patch but do not apply data updates

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 10
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/7/2010 8:14:47 PM   
Mad Dog

Looks like everybody is advising not to apply the database update to ongoing games. Why?
I'am playing against the Jap AI and I accepted the update last turn. Was it a mistake?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 11
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/8/2010 8:45:00 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Dog

Looks like everybody is advising not to apply the database update to ongoing games. Why?
I'am playing against the Jap AI and I accepted the update last turn. Was it a mistake?

There has been issues for data not getting updated correctly in ongoing game. I has screwed up some people's submarines, loss of tubes etc., for example.

(in reply to Mad Dog)
Post #: 12
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/8/2010 2:46:04 PM   
Mad Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

There has been issues for data not getting updated correctly in ongoing game. I has screwed up some people's submarines, loss of tubes etc., for example.

so it was a misstake

thanks for info sardaukar

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 13
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/8/2010 2:55:09 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

quote:

so it was a misstake

thanks for info sardaukar

Not necessarily. You mileage may vary and you might be the lucky ones.

(in reply to Mad Dog)
Post #: 14
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/8/2010 3:05:46 PM   
Puhis

And if you're unlucky one, you can still keep playing. Just think that subs are nerfed...

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 15
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/8/2010 3:42:28 PM   
Sardaukar

I did patch my slowly ongoing Scen 1 game vs. AI too, but haven't checked if subs got "downgraded" or not. Mainly playing DaBigBabes nowadays vs. IJN AI.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 16
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/8/2010 6:07:14 PM   
JWE

Want to explain the ‘patch’ thing. In a nutshell – yes – go ahead and patch – but read this first.

When you start a game, from any scenario, the “code” part loads the scenario “database” into a “savegame” file. ALL subsequent game-play is with respect to the “savegame” file and NOT the scenario “database”. Once a game is started, the scenario database is NO LONGER consulted. All the data, for that game, is in the “savegame” file.

So, there are three pieces to the puzzle, and they are independent from one another;
the “code”,
the scenario “database”, and
the “savegame”.

1) The “code” may always be updated. “Code” includes all universally used files, like pwhex, art, etc. The “code” is independent from the scenario “database” and the “savegame”, so may be updated without impacting either of them.

2) The scenario “database” may always be updated. Once a game starts, the specific scenario database gets incorporated into the game “savegame” file, so that specific scenario database is no longer relevant. The game uses the “savegame” file, not the “database” for all game/turn processing. The game no longer cares what is in the scenario “database” file after it creates the “savegame”.

“Database” updates are there for use in connection with subsequent games, or restarts of existing ones. Merely downloading and installing a “database” update WILL NOT affect an ongoing game (will not adapt a “savegame” file) unless you AFFIRMATIVELY tell it to.

3) Since there are hundreds of different “savegame” files, from hundreds of different players, it is a stone witch to an in-game data update code. Thus the age old warning – ‘requires restart’ – from every “database” patch that was ever made.

The developers busted their bones and made every effort to try and devise ways that some of the more structural aspects of “database” structure could be incorporated into ongoing games, without ‘requiring restart’, but given the complexity of the multi-file data pointers, and the game (code) driven calculations that define elements of the “savegame” files, it is not hard to understand how some things could be missed.

So:

A) Yes, always install the latest exe patch. There’s stuff in the new executable code that is worth having.

B) Yes, always install the latest data patch. There’s stuff in a “database” update that might be useful, or even important, when used in conjunction with “code” changes, in SUBSEQUENT games. Installing a “database” patch will NOT affect ongoing games unless you AFFIRMATIVELY tell it to.

C) No, do not update ongoing games with “database” updates. Think restart, unless you have been unequivocally told, by an “official” source, that the “database” change is pristine and seamless (not bloody likely). Too many ways, otherwise, for error to introduce itself.

Case in point:

I) If you download and install the 1006i patch and do NOT want the database changes, just say NO to the ‘update game’ request, and you will be fine. However, you will not get the benefit of the database changes.

II) If you download and install the 1006i patch and DO want the database changes, you must restart.

III) If you are playing a scenario that already has those database changes in place when the scenario started (i.e., Babes), you are pretty much good to go.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 17
RE: To patch or not to patch? - 12/8/2010 7:36:29 PM   
witpqs

A very nice explanation!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> To patch or not to patch? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI