Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> First Impressions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Impressions - 12/7/2010 11:43:15 PM   
warspite1

Well finally finished dowloading - but as I have to be up early for work in the morning, no time to get into the game .

However couldn't resist a quick peek and I have to say it looks a real classy production .

If a game feels and looks right it usually is; well Matrix this looks pretty damn good - Can't wait for the weekend!!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 1
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:10:27 AM   
glvaca

same here! Unfortunately have to go to bed but it looks damn GOOD!
At least two PBEM's lined up!
Aaaaaahhhhh, finally a wargame on the operational level to compete with the better board games! Now, pls, revamp the W@W series and I'll be set for life!
Thanks!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:10:40 AM   
Arstavidios

That looks impressive.
Time to read the manual.
I guess the week end will be busy.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:18:06 AM   
rjh1971

December 8th is a Public Holiday here in Spain.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to Arstavidios)
Post #: 4
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:24:11 AM   
Lützow

First impressions: it's huge, looks nice, tutorial is easy to get in and it will finally put TOAW to rest for me. Unfortunately I also have to call it a night soon.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 5
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:27:21 AM   
malfid

I'm at work, right now. It's only 11:30am. Soon. Soon!

Until then, please, keep posting your impressions.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 6
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:31:18 AM   
OldSarge

I've only had a chance to load up the tutorial (without reading the manual) and play around. It is looking very nicely done! Sound effects are not intrusive. Graphics are superb! The drill-downs on the units in the tutorial open up a wealth of information about the unit and its condition. Now if I only knew what I was doing!!

Nicely done, guys!

(in reply to malfid)
Post #: 7
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:43:54 AM   
Erik Rutins

Once you get through the tutorials and the smaller scenarios and start your first full campaign, then IMHO you will be truly blown away. Much like WITP:AE, and especially once you get into the full campaigns, this game grabs you and does not let go!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 8
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:04:42 AM   
BletchleyGeek

Impressions while doing the tutorial:

* Windowed mode with robust resizing? WITP old-timers will just love this :) However, I had to hide Windows bar because it was overlapping some stuff at the bottom, and I noticed that Windows XP window top decoration in the default style takes way too many pixels.
* The map is beautiful - it even comes with a legend on the upper left corner. It beats me to find the need for this on a computer wargame, but hey, it's a very nice detail.
* The tutorial was well-written, but I couldn't care less at 1:30 AM to review how many battles had won the units on the OOB :D
* About the tutorial battle... well, I didn't find really that necessary to form-up any corps, I played it on normal difficulty, and I basically drew a very nice red filled triangle over Velikiye Luki and Novossilisk (sp?) in three turns, by attacking on waves.
* I actually like a lot the combat system, combat results looked quite realistic to me.

(in reply to Arstavidios)
Post #: 9
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:16:45 AM   
hgilmer3

First impressions!!!  Printer sucks and won't print tutorial!  So my impression of my printer is that it sucks.  The game, though! Nice video.  Where did you get it?  Who is the Nazi/Panzer guy in the black in the video?

I am going to have to alt-tab for the tutorial, but looks great at first blush.

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 10
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:45:11 AM   
BaronVonDuncs

Looks good but it would seem i will be spending days changing the art photos and GUI to reflect the correct historical flag of the period. I find it impossible to put up with the imperial German flag or whatnot it just ruins my immersion. I understand why for legal reasons its done but it would have been nice if the photos etc had been laid out in a way that made it easy to make the change to a correct historical flag. Maybe have used one graphical file that could be easily changed out, instead the way its been done every single picture will need to be modified individually. Its a massive pain in the ass and it kind of rankles after spending so much money on a game that the needs of one market(Germany) dominate the graphical look for those of us who don't live in countries that legally restrict the use of the correct historical flag. Looks like my first few days will be messing around with photo-shop.

The windowed mode will be handy to have the manual open alongside but I can't figure out how to turn it off and have full screen as well or is that not possible?

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 11
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:58:44 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Game turn 2

Like the way movement is handled.
Map is excellent. Map is huge. Colors for different terrain types look great....Best ive seen so far in this type of wargame.
Combat Information during and after combat I really do like......great job there. You really feel the losses.
This game will take some time to play but that is ok with me. I like Monster games.
I can see this baby will have alot of people wondering about their approuch to invading mother Russia-Massive movement area and units ever where.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to BaronVonDuncs)
Post #: 12
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 2:05:58 AM   
Rosseau

Good question, Baron. I hope full screen is available...

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 13
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 2:16:11 AM   
Icekill

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

December 8th is a Public Holiday here in Spain.

Yup, tomorrow will be a looooong wargaming day for us in Spain :)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 14
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 2:18:44 AM   
jomni

Too bad I'm on a business trip for the week.
Mabye get this during the weekend. 
But have a lot of gaming backlog.

(in reply to Icekill)
Post #: 15
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:05:08 AM   
kfmiller41

Finished the tutorial and I must say I am impressed. Very easy to understand but going to be hard to master. Only gripe i have is that the spreadsheet showing all the commanders ect is to small to read in my native resolution of 1920 x 1080 on a 27" monitor. Everything else is very easy to see. Game play is great.

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 16
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:07:31 AM   
hgilmer3

My second impression.  Printer still sucks! 

I think I'm going to like this one though.  I played out the tutorial and I found it is not hard at all to figure out a lot of stuff.  I managed to create several corp and actually won the tutorial first try.  (minor victory - at about turn 4 I replaced the commanders of the armies.  I think that helped me win.)

The UI is elegant and easy to figure out.  Initially, I think this is a winner and I don't praise much. 

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 17
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:11:14 AM   
Helpless

quote:

The windowed mode will be handy to have the manual open alongside but I can't figure out how to turn it off and have full screen as well or is that not possible?

Good question, Baron. I hope full screen is available...

Just maximize the window - it will fill all the screen.

quote:

Only gripe i have is that the spreadsheet showing all the commanders ect is to small to read in my native resolution of 1920 x 1080 on a 27" monitor. Everything else is very easy to see.

What is the system font size? large?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2641300

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 18
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:12:02 AM   
solops

Hmmm....I may have trouble finishing my game of Scorched Earth while dealing with GG's WitE.....

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 19
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:35:21 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer3

I think I'm going to like this one though.  I played out the tutorial and I found it is not hard at all to figure out a lot of stuff.  I managed to create several corp and actually won the tutorial first try.  (minor victory - at about turn 4 I replaced the commanders of the armies.  I think that helped me win.)

The UI is elegant and easy to figure out.  Initially, I think this is a winner and I don't praise much. 

Cast and reel. Cast and reel.

Ok hgilmer3, I need to know something. Do you dislike your printer?

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 20
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:55:04 AM   
hgilmer3

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer3

Cast and reel. Cast and reel.

Ok hgilmer3, I need to know something. Do you dislike your printer?

I had no issues with it until tonight. But, thankfully, in window mode I can click back and forth very easily.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 21
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:58:08 AM   
Rosseau

Thanks for the quick reply, Helpless. And also for that very nice editor tutorial. Buying the game now!

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 22
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 4:37:59 AM   
sfbaytf

I played the tutorial scenario. Interface is elegant and gameplay is good. I'm also using a dual monitor setup to read manual and play at same time.

So far looks good.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 23
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 4:55:02 AM   
bairdlander2

Cant you just minimize the game screen,then go to tutorial?Thats what i do

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 24
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 4:56:26 AM   
sfbaytf

Yes you can minimize and go to tutorial. I have the setup so I may as well make use of it. 

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 25
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:03:12 PM   
Templer_12

I still scratch at the surface.

That alone is worth every penny.
I like the music. Unfortunately, too few tracks - typical!
Looks like another Gary Grigsby masterpiece.

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 26
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:08:39 PM   
Sgt.Fury25

Wow,Everybody coming out of the woodwork!Great!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:12:28 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

About the tutorial battle... well, I didn't find really that necessary to form-up any corps, I played it on normal difficulty, and I basically drew a very nice red filled triangle over Velikiye Luki and Novossilisk (sp?) in three turns, by attacking on waves.

You can win it without corps, I included the information as you might need it against a human opponent and to increase the chance that people would read about it as not everybody reads the manual, but more might be inclined to read the tutorial documentation.

quote:

Looks good but it would seem i will be spending days changing the art photos and GUI to reflect the correct historical flag of the period.

The photo's should be pretty easy to edit. Find a swastika, resize it so it fits in the place of the current imperial flag, and copy and paste it into every German equipment picture. It will take a while, to do, and I understand why you dislike having the imperial flag, but there are legal issues with using the swastika in some countries, notably Germany, as you mentioned.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 12/8/2010 12:15:26 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Sgt.Fury25)
Post #: 28
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:35:53 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I hope full screen is available...

There is no "Full Screen" per se - you only need to maximize the WitE window and you have the biggest possible screen set to your desktop resolution!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 29
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 12:57:09 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

quote:

About the tutorial battle... well, I didn't find really that necessary to form-up any corps, I played it on normal difficulty, and I basically drew a very nice red filled triangle over Velikiye Luki and Novossilisk (sp?) in three turns, by attacking on waves.

You can win it without corps, I included the information as you might need it against a human opponent and to increase the chance that people would read about it as not everybody reads the manual, but more might be inclined to read the tutorial documentation.

I got the idea - I read the manual - forming up corps would allow you to put on a single hex the equivalent of six divisions, wouldn't it?

If I were the Axis player I would have amassed my reserves and reinforcements on the only axis of advance (not many options given the map size and terrain). So, yes, the Soviets would have needed to concentrate their forces to ensure success :)

My comment wasn't meant as a criticism at all - I found the tutorial to be very useful!

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> First Impressions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI