Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: First Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: First Impressions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:10:19 PM   
BaronVonDuncs

Yeah been doing that all morning. Its a bit tedious but until such time as Germany and others recognize games as being a form of art and thus an exempted category for depictions of the swastika then we are stuck with this sort of nonsense. Mind you it could have been done with a downloadable historical pack or some such available for free in those nations where its not a problem but i suppose its just going to have to be down to modders. At least it is an east fix if a bit tedious. Mind you i hope someone with better Photoshop skills than me comes up with a mod pack soon.

Also I would hope that such mods will be posted in the forums soon enough without a problem. I know some other companies (paradox) have a really strict no swastikas and no talking about swastikas policy but that doesn't seem to be the case here (as an email warning me about my conduct comes whizzing in!).

< Message edited by BaronVonDuncs -- 12/8/2010 1:13:16 PM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 31
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:33:41 PM   
mattyb1972

Ok people, i have not posted alot in the matrix site, but i do own a lot of matrix games. I can say that this is by far the best game in the cataloge. The cost in oz dollars was a bit much, but ill live with it (85aud). The graphics are passable(if thats a word), the map is dam fine, the game system is excellent, and the subject matter, well no comment. This is an outstanding production. If only more people could know about this. Somewhere someone mentioned if you like witp you would like this. I disagree i enjoyed witp but way to much micro , this title is a lot better. oce again thankyou

(in reply to BaronVonDuncs)
Post #: 32
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:37:35 PM   
Speedysteve

Very impressed with UI and modelling so far. Only played the Tutorial and got a Major Soviet Victory. Time for Road to Minsk after reading a bit of the manual......

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to mattyb1972)
Post #: 33
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:40:24 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

I got the idea - I read the manual - forming up corps would allow you to put on a single hex the equivalent of six divisions, wouldn't it?

If I were the Axis player I would have amassed my reserves and reinforcements on the only axis of advance (not many options given the map size and terrain). So, yes, the Soviets would have needed to concentrate their forces to ensure success :)

My comment wasn't meant as a criticism at all - I found the tutorial to be very useful!

Didn't interpret it as criticism, I just felt the need to explain why it's in the tutorial.

The Soviets can place the equivalent of 3x3=9 divisions in one hex as each Rifle corps has a theoretical maximum strength of 3 Rifle divisions, however that's highly theoretical as late war corps won't normally be higher than 75% TOE I'd wager.

-

BaronVonDuncs: I share your feelings about historical flags and symbols, but the position developers are in is rather tricky. For example, the Konrad scenario for SSG's Kharkov:DotD/ATD2 contains the swastika, so someone commented that it can't be sold in Germany. If I'd have photoshop skills, I'd be more than happy to make a historical flags mod, but sadly both my image editing software and skillset is limited to MS Paint.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

Post #: 34
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:42:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: BaronVonDuncs
Also I would hope that such mods will be posted in the forums soon enough without a problem. I know some other companies (paradox) have a really strict no swastikas and no talking about swastikas policy but that doesn't seem to be the case here (as an email warning me about my conduct comes whizzing in!).

No problem with us, feel free to post your mods in the Mods and Scenarios sub-forum. We're limited in what we can do because of German laws, but there's no restriction on mods.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 35
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 1:57:06 PM   
Zovs

Originally when I wrote the tutorial (at least the first 28 or so pages) I concentrated on the user interface and what everything means and unfortunately life events interrupted my finishing it off, so another member of the team filled in and finished off the last bit. The transition is pretty smooth so probably only I or he would notice the voice speaking.

Originally we were also going to create a strategy or best practice tips but I am not sure what happened to that project, I still have the original notes somewhere I believe.

I have been taking care of my wife and spending time with her but now that she is on the mend I am back on board and willing to help anyone with some basics or S&T, especially in 1943...lol

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 36
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 2:46:26 PM   
Lützow

At second glance WitE is more massive as it appeared from regarding screenshots. The shown counters don't take all those support units into consideration which are attached to HQ's, and there are plenty of air units available for conducting missions.

I also found some minor glitches:

- for user preferences the combat resolution message level can be set to 10. Thought 7 would be max value.
- at air unit detail window the option for switching between day/night operations is colored white. Shouldn't that be light blue?
- if you accidendately start an AI vs AI game, it can be just stopped by using Windows task manager.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 37
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 2:51:43 PM   
Sgt.Fury25

Diazov66,Glad to hear your wife is getting better,hope nothing serious.

Post #: 38
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 2:53:24 PM   
Helpless

quote:

- for user preferences the combat resolution message level can be set to 10. Thought 7 would be max value.

Yes, I'm aware of it. Will fix.

quote:

- at air unit detail window the option for switching between day/night operations is colored white. Shouldn't that be light blue?

Yes, clickable should be turquoise. Will fix.

quote:

- if you accidendately start an AI vs AI game, it can be just stopped by using Windows task manager.

You can try Shift-X to stop it. Otherwise try not to press "/" which is starting the AI vs AI testing script. It is fixed in 1.01

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 39
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:03:35 PM   
joey

Will 1.01 be arriving soon?

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 40
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:43:07 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ronson

Diazov66,Glad to hear your wife is getting better,hope nothing serious.

Thank you, not life threatening, she has good days and bad, we still need to find a Doctor House to pin down what exactly it is, that is the most frustrating part... but thank you and happy holidays.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Sgt.Fury25)
Post #: 41
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 3:52:25 PM   
Helpless

quote:

Will 1.01 be arriving soon?

Hopefully..

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 42
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 4:05:06 PM   
Manstein63

Finally downloaded & installed the beast at 3am this morning (mainly due to my inabillity to leave the damn download to do its job) took a look at the tutorial scenario & my first thought was B**g*r!!!  I'm going to need to read the rules for this one.
Manstein63

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 43
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 4:27:51 PM   
BaronVonDuncs

Ok well I am doing a quick and dirty cut and paste with photoshop. It would be nice to have been able to blend the flags like the originals but as I am not that good with PS I don't know how to clean the background image to allow for a new flag to be blended over the photos. I will post them up in the mods section when I have it done provided I can host the file somewhere. Might take me a while longer though as theres 200 odd portraits to alter. I have done all the planes etc but the general portraits will take me a bit longer.

Post #: 44
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 4:51:03 PM   
diablo1

quote:

I can say that this is by far the best game in the cataloge.

Ahhhh and where have I heard that statement before? And how many times too? weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Post #: 45
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 5:49:33 PM   
Borodino

My first impressions:

(+)The game play is very good, the detail level is amazing and it has impressed me to no end.

(-) Parts of the interface, the losses statistics specifically I think could use some improvement:

On the 'Ground Losses' screen the loss numbers for each side is labeled:

But in the "Air Losses" screen the sides are not labeled:

To most people it is obvious which side is which, but I think it seems a bit non-uniform and disorganized for a game with so much detail. Not really significant, just a first impression I had regarding the interface.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 46
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 6:05:37 PM   
Helpless

quote:

But in the "Air Losses" screen the sides are not labeled:

I wish it would be the biggest interface problem Will fix it.

quote:

(+)The game play is very good, the detail level is amazing and it has impressed me to no end.

Приятно слышать!

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Borodino)
Post #: 47
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 6:36:38 PM   
Sgt.Fury25

Thanks to the ethusisam conveyed by fellow members I took the plunge.So far after playing road to minsk,my hats off to the developers.This game shows that care was taken to make this release great from the start!I'm sure there will be work needed down the road but the initial release is very good.Thanks

Post #: 48
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 6:45:41 PM   
Borodino

quote:

I wish it would be the biggest interface problem Will fix it.

Приятно слышать as well!

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 49
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 8:10:08 PM   
Lumberslug

Well

Here is my first impression
Matrix charged my account twice

Update: Erik was correct and I was wrong
It was all my banks fault. Problem is my wife works for that bank so how angry can I get? Grrrrrrrrrr

My apologies to Erik and Matrix

< Message edited by Lumberslug -- 12/15/2010 2:53:10 AM >

And remember......

"You must have tea and cake with the Vicar, or you die!"

(in reply to Borodino)
Post #: 50
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 8:35:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

First of all, I am 100% certain we did not overcharge you. What this always turns out to be is a pre-authorization charge that is incorrectly reported as a "real" charge. This is an issue with the reporting institution, not our store.

With that said, I would like to make absolutely sure that nothing is wrong in this case. After you place the order, you receive an e-mail and some web links to get to us for support. There is also a big "Support" link in the top navigation bar of this site, so there are options other than the first impression thread in the forum. I understand your concern, but it's not hard to find a way to reach us. In this case though, please e-mail me directly at erikr@matrixgames.com and I'll make sure there was no double charge ASAP.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Lumberslug)
Post #: 51
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 9:04:14 PM   
micha1100

One of my first impressions is that the map looks ugly in snow conditions (second turn of the tutorial). In fact, it looks so ugly (just some relatively big white spots on every hex) that I assume something is wrong in my game. Can someone please post a screenshot how the map should look like in snow conditions or tell a computer illiterate like me how create a screenshot so Ican check if it is really supposed to look like that? Thank you!

Post #: 52
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 9:07:20 PM   
Joel Billings

To get a screenshot, press the Print Scrn button and then load up a paint program. You can then use ctrl-c to paste it into the paint program (may need to open up a bland canvas first).

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to micha1100)
Post #: 53
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 9:10:46 PM   
Joel Billings

This is what snow looks like on my system.

Attachment (1)

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to micha1100)
Post #: 54
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 9:25:27 PM   
micha1100

Yes, well, that's a lot like what it looks like for me, although it doesn't seem so bad in your screenshot. I guess it looks a lot more ugly on the darkened hexes that make up most of the map in the tutorial. Still I believe there might be a better way to show snowy conditions on the otherwise very beatiful map.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 55
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 9:30:04 PM   
Joel Billings

Marc regretted that we did not make different layers in the art on this map, and hopes to do that in future games using this system. By having a text layer the weather art would not cover the city names. FYI, the weather art was the last bit of art added to the game. For a year we were using computer generated art which was worse, but Marc finally got around to giving us specific artwork for the bad weather. Given the limitations he was working with I think he did a good job. You can always turn the weather art off if it's distracting you.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to micha1100)
Post #: 56
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 9:30:50 PM   
Krupinski

quote:

ORIGINAL: micha1100

Yes, well, that's a lot like what it looks like for me, although it doesn't seem so bad in your screenshot. I guess it looks a lot more ugly on the darkened hexes that make up most of the map in the tutorial. Still I believe there might be a better way to show snowy conditions on the otherwise very beatiful map.

Well, for this reason i deactivated the weather display option..

(in reply to micha1100)
Post #: 57
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 9:39:35 PM   
micha1100

I'm still very early into this game, so I hadn't even found the option yet to turn the weather graphics off. Without it the map looks better, but of course it takes a little bit of atmosphere away when the snowy conditions are not shown on the map. But if this proves to be the biggest problem I'll have then I guess I'm easily prepared to live with it. :-)

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 58
RE: First Impressions - 12/8/2010 10:02:19 PM   
elmo3

Go to the User Preferences window.  In the lower right just uncheck the Show Weather Graphics button.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to micha1100)
Post #: 59
RE: First Impressions - 12/9/2010 1:53:39 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: micha1100

Change the hexes to white instead of an overlay.

< Message edited by jomni -- 12/9/2010 1:54:17 AM >

(in reply to micha1100)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: First Impressions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI